FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SSH

coreymanshack
Does frihost have the ability for me to ssh in? If not, why? FTP passwords are sent unencrypted and can be sniffed, any website on the server could be comprimised through ftp if the offender has your ip address(not hard to get)
rvec
so if I had your ip (which I have because I am a mod) I can sniff you?

My pc isn't between you and the server, so it wouldn't be possible.

And ssh gives you a bit more ways to do things you shouldn't be able to than ftp does.
coreymanshack
rvec wrote:

And ssh gives you a bit more ways to do things you shouldn't be able to than ftp does.

Well it would be easier if you were localhost, but you can still do it. SSH has config options so you can turn off those things that shouldnt be done.
cr3ativ3
coreymanshack wrote:
rvec wrote:

Well it would be easier if you were localhost, but you can still do it. SSH has config options so you can turn off those things that shouldnt be done.

I supose its possible but its not an easy fix, alot of configuring would need to go on as well as global server file permissions...

I dont think their is a nice directive like php's open_basedir, for SSH.
Hogwarts
coreymanshack wrote:

Bullo-shiteo.

Rvec isn't between your PC and Frihost's server. He can't sniff out your password from that.

Also, first encrypted connections can be compromised by packet-sniffing, too. In addition, there are hundreds of other, faster ways somebody could gain your password.

What you should be asking for is SFTP, anyway. Take a guess what that stands for Wink