FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Did Obama Snub the UK?

Was Obama's treatment of PM Gordon Brown rude?
Yes, it's ill advised to treat allies disrepectfully
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
No, it was just some bruised egos and the British will get over it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not sure
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

jmi256
Here in the US we're seeing a lot of reports that the British are angry/upset at Obama's treatment of Gordon Brown this week. I'm just wondering if this is how the general population feels or just some vocal journalists.

BTW... I thought this one line in the article below was funny.

Quote:
The French will be able to offer you first rate support from their catering corps but beyond that you'll be on your own.

Quote:

President Barack Obama just plain rude to Britain. Don't call us in future.
Why couldn't President Obama have put on more of a show for his British guests? He looked like he simply couldn't be bothered.

Number 10 may be content that they just about got away with the visit to the Oval Office yesterday, as Andrew Porter reports from Washington. But on this side of the Atlantic the whole business looked pretty demeaning. The morning papers and TV last night featured plenty of comment focused on the White House's very odd and, frankly, exceptionally rude treatment of a British PM. Squeezing in a meeting, denying him a full press conference with flags etc. The British press corps, left outside for an hour in the cold, can take it and their privations are of limited concern to the public.

But Obama's merely warmish words (one of our closest allies, said with little sincerity or passion) left a bitter taste with this Atlanticist. Especially after his team had made Number 10 beg for a mini press conference and then not even offered the PM lunch.

We get the point, sunshine: we're just one of many allies and you want fancy new friends. Well, the next time you need something doing, something which impinges on your national security, then try calling the French, or the Japanese, or best of all the Germans. The French will be able to offer you first rate support from their catering corps but beyond that you'll be on your own.
When it comes to men, munitions and commitment you'll soon find out why it pays to at least treat the Brits with some manners.

Source = http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/iain_martin/blog/2009/03/04/president_barack_obama_just_plain_rude_to_britain_dont_call_us_in_future
Bikerman
Hmm,
I don't think that most people here are angry or upset - most people know that this is mainly political grandstanding by Brown.
The mainstream news coverage is similar to that offered by the BBC (see link below)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7922426.stm
deanhills
I doubt the US could embarass a guy like Brown, he has much too thick a skin for that. I can imagine if there were smoke to this fire, he would only notice it if he can use it for his ratings in the UK, but I cannot see that happening. There is obviously lots that Brown wishes to achieve with Obama. I think all of it revolves around the banking crisis in the UK, debts of which he has repeatedly said are itnernational and linked to the US.

I still think that it was embarassing for the UK for him to have rushed to Washington DC so fast. If his aim was to make a buddy out of Obama, maybe a little distance initially would have warmed Obama a little more. I doubt Obama would warm to the first person that makes him/her to his side. He is a little more intelligent than that. He probably already has all the world players mapped out in detail and vice verca the world leaders themselves.
Bikerman
I think you misunderstand the relationship between British people and their politicians. It really is quite different to the US. If, for example, someone had thrown a shoe at Brown there would be mass hilarity here. We do not see our 'political leaders' as the embodiment of the UK, as many Americans see their President as the embodiment of the US. We are, perhaps, much more cynical (though I prefer the word 'realistic'). Nobody that I know is 'embarrassed' by Brown's antics. Some are critical and many regard it as slightly comical.
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
I think you misunderstand the relationship between British people and their politicians. It really is quite different to the US. If, for example, someone had thrown a shoe at Brown there would be mass hilarity here. We do not see our 'political leaders' as the embodiment of the UK, as many Americans see their President as the embodiment of the US. We are, perhaps, much more cynical (though I prefer the word 'realistic'). Nobody that I know is 'embarrassed' by Brown's antics. Some are critical and many regard it as slightly comical.

Like "Men in the Ministry"? I rather like that show, even after all these years Smile
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
We do not see our 'political leaders' as the embodiment of the UK, as many Americans see their President as the embodiment of the US.

The advantage of having a royal family separate from the government, perhaps?
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
We do not see our 'political leaders' as the embodiment of the UK, as many Americans see their President as the embodiment of the US.

The advantage of having a royal family separate from the government, perhaps?

Not sure about that, but certainly a possibility. A shoe thrown at the Queen would certainly have produced much more condemnation amongst many of my fellow citizens (not me, of course, since I'm a republican in that specific instance)..
jmi256
Bikerman wrote:

I saw this article this morning that supports your point. The UK's Business Secretary had custard thrown in his face, and I haven't seen that much of an uproar. You can see a video of the assault on the page.

Quote:

In Yer Face! Custard Thrown Over Mandelson

An anti-Heathrow protester has sloshed green custard into Business Secretary Lord Mandelson's face as he arrived at the Government's low carbon economy summit.

Lord Mandelson has green custard thrown at him
Leila Deen, an activist from campaign group Plane Stupid, covered the politician's face in pea-green goo as he got out of his ministerial car.

He immediately went inside the building as Miss Deen watched and then calmly walked away.
She told Sky News she was protesting about reports that Lord Mandelson met lobbyists from Heathrow owner BAA before the Government gave the controversial go-ahead for a third runway at the London airport.

Talking about the goo, Ms Deen said: "It's green custard - I could eat this right now, it's totally harmless."

She went on: "The only thing green about Peter Mandelson is the slime coursing through his veins."
And she added: "I don't want to get up early in the morning and throw custard at Peter Mandelson but I don't have a choice because democracy has failed us.

"We should stand up against people who are going to make political capital out of pretending to be green."

Gordon Taylor, who lives next door to the Deen family home in Brighton, said: "I think her mother would be proud."

Lord Mandelson dismissed the incident, which raises questions about his personal security, as an "adolescent protest".

After a quick clean-up, he told Sky News: "She was so busy throwing what seemed like green soup or something in my face that she failed to tell me what the protest was about, but as you can see thankfully it wasn't paint and I've come through it intact."

A Scotland Yard spokesman said no complaint had been received on the matter.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown was also due to attend the summit along with other Government representatives and business leaders to discuss the "greening" of industry and opportunities for new jobs.

Plane Stupid has launched a series of high profile stunts in recent years against the Government's environmental policies, including sit-in protests bringing Stansted and Aberdeen airports to a stand-still.

Source = http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Custard-Thrown-On-Mandelson-Business-Secretary-Hit-In-Face-By-Anti-Heathrow-Strikers-Protest/Article/200903115235839?lpos=Politics_Carousel_Region_2&lid=ARTICLE_15235839_Custard_Thrown_On_Mandelson%2C_Business_Secretary_Hit_In_Face_By_Anti-Heathrow_Strikers_Protest
Bikerman
Well, the ironic thing is that the person calling loudest for prosecution is John Prescott (former deputy leader). It is ironic because one of Prescott's claims to fame is his response to a similar incident when he was on the campaign trail a couple of elections ago. A protester threw an egg at him - Prescott promptly weighed into the guy, fists flying - it was absolutely priceless Smile
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
Well, the ironic thing is that the person calling loudest for prosecution is John Prescott (former deputy leader). It is ironic because one of Prescott's claims to fame is his response to a similar incident when he was on the campaign trail a couple of elections ago. A protester threw an egg at him - Prescott promptly weighed into the guy, fists flying - it was absolutely priceless Smile

I saw it on TV last night, as well as the Custard Lady doing her custard thing. Must say she came up really ugly for me. I can't see how that could have helped her cause. The guy who went ballistic after the egg, was hilarious. Maggie Thatcher was rather dignified. As she always has been.