FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Meaning of some words

Crinoid
Do you know some words, that for you, in your experience, have different meaning from described in dictionary or from meaning, they are commonly used by media?
Post your findings and thoughts about this. Why, for example.
For me, one of them is "community". I made a separate thread for that.
Your input?
Nameless
Ironically, to properly answer this question depends on how you choose to define a "word" itself. If you say a phrase to mean something different within a small group of people, would you count that as the same word or a separate word that shares the same letters? A word is defined to mean what the majority of people using it decide that it means, because that's how communication works. It wouldn't be too hard to find words that are used by the majority in a different sense to what is recorded in a dictionary (what it was considered to mean at the time of publication) or what the media use it as (they are, of course, only a small group), but trying to say you've found a word to "mean" something different than what most people now use it as is pointless.

Obvious exception is those popular enough to actively change how people use a certain word, popular media groups possibly falling into this category, but in this case you're just being lazy and/or annoying because an unnecessarily changing language is a bad thing.
HamsterMan
One word that immideately springs to mind is terrorism, a pretty controversial word which a lot of people completely ignore the definition of and just throw around as a weapon to justify their cause, especially when it comes to declaring different people on the internet as terrorists.
tchaunt
Well, I can think of words like:
Queer - Meaning weird, or odd. Most people use it to describe a homosexual male.
Gay - Meaning happy. Used to describe homosexuals

Those are two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a lot more.
HamsterMan
Oh, I got another one.

Addiction. To me addiction means physical dependence and tolerance to a substance like alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or other various drugs, but lately society have been starting to throw it at just about anything people enjoy, like surfing the internet or playing video games. If you simply think it's fun, have a passion for it, or actually learn and create with it but aren't really dependent on it for any other reason, in my opinion it isn't and can not be an addiction.

I mean, how often do you hear about sports addicts? If people start yelling about video game addicts they should also start yelling about those damn people that spend hours each day watching sport. Or how about people that read books all the time, certainly that cuts into their normal life. Although I suspect that all these things will be classified as addictions before long.
Nameless
HamsterMan wrote:
One word that immideately springs to mind is terrorism, a pretty controversial word which a lot of people completely ignore the definition of and just throw around as a weapon to justify their cause, especially when it comes to declaring different people on the internet as terrorists.

This isn't a case of the word terrorism having a different meaning, this is the case of people abusing media hype to get away with logical fallacies in their arguments.

tchaunt wrote:
Queer - Meaning weird, or odd. Most people use it to describe a homosexual male.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a dictionary that did not list those among "official" alternate meanings.

HamsterMan wrote:
To me addiction means physical dependence and tolerance to a substance like alcohol, caffeine, nicotine or other various drugs, but lately society have been starting to throw it at just about anything people enjoy, like surfing the internet or playing video games. If you simply think it's fun, have a passion for it, or actually learn and create with it but aren't really dependent on it for any other reason, in my opinion it isn't and can not be an addiction.

Then you are using the word addiction in a much stricter context than I (AFAIK) it was originally or currently used for. Addiction has a simple meaning, whether people's frequent leisure activities count as an addiction or not isn't a case of debating what the word means, it's far more a case of attempting to learn for any given individual to what extent they are dependent on that particular activity rather than it merely being a preference.

[/Arbitrary counterpoints.]
tony
HamsterMan wrote:

Yes I agree here. And the term is used so differently accross different cultures, nations, people groups.
AftershockVibe
More annoying is the recent allowance of being able to turn any word into a verb. Let's call it "verbing" Wink. Tragic examples include:
Incentivize
Colorize
Synergize (which is a word but has become a marketing buzzword).

American spellings because that appears to where they've originated. They're common over here now too. Add 'u' and substitute 's' as appropriate.
Nameless
^ That's not words with different meanings, that's creating new words in a systematic and easily understandable fashion, and I wouldn't consider it a bad thing. (Also, you say "verbing" as if it wasn't the self demonstrating, serious and acceptable term to refer to such creation.)
rockacola
try to use www.urbandictionary.com for non-oxford approved meanings on some words.

caution: you may find very very nasty wording and descriptions that might not suit your age
Zombie
I agree with rockacola, urbandictionary is a quality lingo resource!
snowynight
tchaunt wrote:
Well, I can think of words like:

Those are two I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a lot more.

Any dictionary has words included with the meanings listed above.
So your answer is incorrect.
Laughing
HamsterMan
The topic was about words that have a different meaning for you than how they are described in the dictionary or used in the media.