FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


A South American country to move to, perhaps?





ocalhoun
I was kind of thinking of what I would do after getting out of the air force, and I was considering a drastic change of moving to South America.

Problem is though... I don't know all that much about the area when it comes to choosing a place to think about going to.

My requirements:
-Cheap, fertile land suitable for keeping a few horses on.
-A good job in radar maintenance (any airport would have one) or other electronics is possible (which means there might be a long commute to that cheap land, but it would be worth it.)
-Primary language is Spanish (which I know enough of already that I could become fluent quickly).
-Peaceful (I.E. No rebel guerrillas hiding in the forest and no drug wars)

Would also be very nice, but not absolutely required:
-Good places nearby to go off-roading
-Comfortable climate (better to be slightly too cold than too hot)
-Fast internet is available in (at least some) rural areas
-Government that values personal freedom and minimal interference
-Government that makes it easy to immigrate there and get a job


I was thinking perhaps of Argentina or Chile, or some other South American Country, but it doesn't absolutely have to be in South America... Any area that met the requirements (with the addition that the language could be English, Spanish, or Russian) would be a possibility. If some place was perfect in every other way, but had a different language, I might learn that language as well in order to live there.

Yes, I realize that some parts of the USA would meet my needs nicely, but I want to look at other alternatives, so I need some advice.

Given what I want and need, what country, and what area within that country would be best for me to think about moving to? (This is all hypothetical and far in the future, of course.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I was kind of thinking of what I would do after getting out of the air force, and I was considering a drastic change of moving to South America.

Problem is though... I don't know all that much about the area when it comes to choosing a place to think about going to.

My requirements:
-Cheap, fertile land suitable for keeping a few horses on.
-A good job in radar maintenance (any airport would have one) or other electronics is possible (which means there might be a long commute to that cheap land, but it would be worth it.)
-Primary language is Spanish (which I know enough of already that I could become fluent quickly).
-Peaceful (I.E. No rebel guerrillas hiding in the forest and no drug wars)

Would also be very nice, but not absolutely required:
-Good places nearby to go off-roading
-Comfortable climate (better to be slightly too cold than too hot)
-Fast internet is available in (at least some) rural areas
-Government that values personal freedom and minimal interference
-Government that makes it easy to immigrate there and get a job


I was thinking perhaps of Argentina or Chile, or some other South American Country, but it doesn't absolutely have to be in South America... Any area that met the requirements (with the addition that the language could be English, Spanish, or Russian) would be a possibility. If some place was perfect in every other way, but had a different language, I might learn that language as well in order to live there.

Yes, I realize that some parts of the USA would meet my needs nicely, but I want to look at other alternatives, so I need some advice.

Given what I want and need, what country, and what area within that country would be best for me to think about moving to? (This is all hypothetical and far in the future, of course.)


How about Ecuador, specifically Quito? I would love to move there myself, but can't speak a word of Spanish. You have the beautiful mountains of the Quito area, then there are the beaches that you can go to, and Galapalagos is close by too. I'm sure there has to be some good horse farms round there too. From what I've heard by South American standards it is really peaceful there.

Envy you your plans! Sounds like good ones in the making.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:


How about Ecuador, specifically Quito? I would love to move there myself, but can't speak a word of Spanish. You have the beautiful mountains of the Quito area, then there are the beaches that you can go to, and Galapalagos is close by too. I'm sure there has to be some good horse farms round there too. From what I've heard by South American standards it is really peaceful there.

Envy you your plans! Sounds like good ones in the making.


That sounds good, though I don't care about beaches... I'll add Ecuador to my list of places to look at... what's the weather and government there like?
*edit*
Ecuador looks like it may be a very good option. I was worried that it might be too hot, but it looks like there would be some nice places in the mountains. In 3 years I might be looking for jobs at the Quito or Ambito airports. ^.^

I'm still interested in looking at other places too, though. From what I could tell, the cost of living there was still uppper-normal as compared to the US (I could be mistaken about that: it was just figured based on a quick look at real-estate prices)... It would be nice if I could find a place where a little money would go a long way, but perhaps the changing economy will take that opportunity away.
gandalfthegrey
I recommend Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.
ocalhoun
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I recommend Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay.

Any more details there?
standready
If you went to Puerto Rico, you would still be in a US territory which might make using your benefits a little easier? Something to check out and consider.
deanhills
standready wrote:
If you went to Puerto Rico, you would still be in a US territory which might make using your benefits a little easier? Something to check out and consider.

What's living like in Puerto Rico? Do they also get hurricanes and stuff? Is the language Spanish?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
If you went to Puerto Rico, you would still be in a US territory which might make using your benefits a little easier? Something to check out and consider.

What's living like in Puerto Rico? Do they also get hurricanes and stuff? Is the language Spanish?

^.^ Now I'm answering questions!
Yes, they get plenty of hurricanes, and yes, the language is Spanish.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
standready wrote:
If you went to Puerto Rico, you would still be in a US territory which might make using your benefits a little easier? Something to check out and consider.

What's living like in Puerto Rico? Do they also get hurricanes and stuff? Is the language Spanish?

^.^ Now I'm answering questions!
Yes, they get plenty of hurricanes, and yes, the language is Spanish.
Thanks, I could probably have looked it up as well .... Embarassed Think Quito is still a better bet. Smile
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
in a US territory which might make using your benefits a little easier?

I'll have to look into the procedures for claiming benefits overseas... I think either a) they'll reimburse you for paying for medical care, or b) they'll pay your travel expenses to go to a VA hospital.

As for getting monetary benefits, if I do get any, I just have to have them deposited in a bank with branches in the US, then transfer them to an account elsewhere.
deanhills
I'm curious, why would you want to move away from the United States, where you have some of the most beautiful places for horses, can get as far away from civilization as your heart desires, it is so big and so vast, I can understand that one would like to travel and say stay in places for a year or so, but a really drastic move sounds drastic.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I'm curious, why would you want to move away from the United States, where you have some of the most beautiful places for horses, can get as far away from civilization as your heart desires, it is so big and so vast, I can understand that one would like to travel and say stay in places for a year or so, but a really drastic move sounds drastic.

I'm considering inside the states too, but I want to look at all the options, not restricting myself to just some of them just because its easier.
Also, maybe I could find a place where the cost of living is lower, but maybe not.
And, even the US is becoming to overdeveloped (at least in the good parts) for my taste. There are open spaces in Nevada or Alaska, for example, but not the best kind of climates there. I suppose I'm a bit of a super-recluse in that even South Dakota is too crowded for me, at least during the summer.

But, really, I'm just looking for the best spot for me, and I'm more likely to find it if I broaden the area I'm looking in.
deanhills
Solon_Poledourus came up with a place that sounds like another good option to look at in South America:

Quote:
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
If the proverbial sh*t hits the fan, I'm headed for Machu Picchu, near Cuzco, Peru. It's high altitude, remote, easily defensible, and best of all, its got ready-made farms and housing. It's a fixer-upper.
My Spanish is passable, and my rifle speaks a language that everyone understands.

If the Incas lived there before, has to be a healthy place to live:
http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/destinations/machupicchu/index.html
deanhills
I've just done some research on Quito in Ecuador, and got such a shock when I checked up with the Canadian Government. Think I will not be travelling to Quito after all. Chile seems to be a much better bet. Below is a travel report from the Canadian Government for Ecuador:
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=78000

The shortcut below is for a travel report for Chile - much better:
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=54000
davidfromoz
Great topic. I have wondered about retiring to South America too. Many places look tempting. I'm planning to look more closely at Brazil, Argentina and Chile when the opportunity presents. But I don't know so very much about them.

I know Costa Rica is a very popular place for American Retirees. Its very nice and I found the climate very comfortable in the area of San Jose. I hear that you can get all the mod cons you expect from USA. I personally visited a hospital (on business) that caters a lot to foreign residents and people who want to travel to cut their medical expense and their staff appeared first rate and their medical imaging equipment was very good. People were educated and easy going. Overall looked very nice. I hear the rural areas and coastal areas are great too.
deanhills
davidfromoz wrote:
Great topic. I have wondered about retiring to South America too. Many places look tempting. I'm planning to look more closely at Brazil, Argentina and Chile when the opportunity presents. But I don't know so very much about them.

I know Costa Rica is a very popular place for American Retirees. Its very nice and I found the climate very comfortable in the area of San Jose. I hear that you can get all the mod cons you expect from USA. I personally visited a hospital (on business) that caters a lot to foreign residents and people who want to travel to cut their medical expense and their staff appeared first rate and their medical imaging equipment was very good. People were educated and easy going. Overall looked very nice. I hear the rural areas and coastal areas are great too.
San Jose sounds great. I'm particularly impressed to hear about their medical facilities. How did you find the cost of living there, was it very expensive?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I've just done some research on Quito in Ecuador, and got such a shock when I checked up with the Canadian Government. Think I will not be travelling to Quito after all. Chile seems to be a much better bet. Below is a travel report from the Canadian Government for Ecuador:
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=78000

The shortcut below is for a travel report for Chile - much better:
http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=54000

Hmm... Landmines...
If I go there, I'll definitely have to up-armor the cab of my trail rig! Nice, thick steel plates, or maybe some kevlar. ^.^
5nota
Brazil... Florianópolis in Santa Catarina... I already lived in São Paulo an actually I live in Curitiba, here exists a lot of beautiful girls but nothing compared to Florianópolis qith a lot of beaches and peace.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
If I go there, I'll definitely have to up-armor the cab of my trail rig! Nice, thick steel plates, or maybe some kevlar. ^.^
Right Smile Guess the best way is to go for a little holiday and a fact finding expedition first. Then have a good discussion with the horses. I am sure they would have very good instincts about this Smile
davidfromoz
deanhills wrote:
San Jose sounds great. I'm particularly impressed to hear about their medical facilities. How did you find the cost of living there, was it very expensive?


I was only there a fairly short time. But it seemed quite cheap to me.

Of course when living in the developing world, your costs very a lot depending on how much of your old lifestyle you want to retain. The Marriott hotel I stayed in cost similar to what it would in USA, with similar (better) service. A meal in a pretty good restaurant in a mall cost me about 1/2 to a 1/3 of what it would cost me in an equivalent USA based restaurant. I ate one very good meal (Argentine steak) and it was about 1/2 the costs of USA. Street food was cheap as hell.

I think I'd still lean towards further south, but it was very nice in Costa Rica.

Though, in truth, I have a similar plan to ocalhoun's, centered around South East Asia closer to my family. Bali is very nice.

cheers,
david
deanhills
davidfromoz wrote:
Bali is very nice.
I should try that out. Is it easy to find accommodation there, and what are the medical facilities like?
davidfromoz
Don't mean to hijack the thread.

Foreigners can't own accommodation in Bali. But you can rent a house long term very easily. Its quite cheap.

I don't know much about hospitals in Bali. But I'm thinking there is a large enough community of expatriate Aussies there to make good schools and medical care available. I do remember seeing advertisements for international class hospitals there.

Bali is a good choice. Food is good, people are friendly and its a beautiful place. I don't know how horse like a tropical environment like that. Its much more temperate on the mountain.

Its part of Indonesia and there was the bombing there some years back (extremists targeting foreigners). But to my mind, its safe and really nice. I'll definitely take an extended stay there some time, if not live there.
ocalhoun
davidfromoz wrote:

Foreigners can't own accommodation in Bali. But you can rent a house long term very easily. Its quite cheap.

Another potential problem ^.^
But how would a country with a policy like that treat someone who was working towards citizenship? and or towards a foreigner who obtained citizenship (if possible)?
davidfromoz
I guess that varies on a country by country basis.

Obtaining citizenship is not so easy in Indonesia I think. I believe you need to have lived there for more than 5 years (and they were considering substantially increasing that number). So maybe Bali is not ideal.

Quite a few other Asian countries do make it possible to purchase property.

I probably should have read your initial post a bit more carefully before even mentioning Bali Smile

cheers,
david
Melacos
Well, your requirements to the place, would mostly fit on Argentina I guess (when sticking to the southamr. continent.) You'd have relatively little problems with crime and drugs compared to many of the other countries to the north of there. The climate would be nice, and at places definitely on the cold side. The southern part of the country - in Patagonia - it is known to be a place for horse riders (to my knowledge at least).
And well in general people describe it pretty much as they would do a western european country - not least the urban life.
ocalhoun
Melacos wrote:
Well, your requirements to the place, would mostly fit on Argentina I guess (when sticking to the southamr. continent.) You'd have relatively little problems with crime and drugs compared to many of the other countries to the north of there. The climate would be nice, and at places definitely on the cold side. The southern part of the country - in Patagonia - it is known to be a place for horse riders (to my knowledge at least).
And well in general people describe it pretty much as they would do a western european country - not least the urban life.

Yeah, the more I look at Argentina and Chile, the more I like them... I think (subject to more research) that I'll definitely look into trying to move there once my enlistment ends.

Another country I actually looked at was Mongolia. The second and third most common languages are Russian and English, so I could get along nicely. It is the most sparsely populated country in the world, and it would be a paradise except for one thing: it's really, really cold! It makes South Dakota look tropical... South Dakota's record low was -22F this winter, but Mongolia sometimes has an average winter temperature lower than that! I think I'd still love to visit there during the (short) summer though ^.^
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Another country I actually looked at was Mongolia. The second and third most common languages are Russian and English, so I could get along nicely. It is the most sparsely populated country in the world, and it would be a paradise except for one thing: it's really, really cold! It makes South Dakota look tropical... South Dakota's record low was -22F this winter, but Mongolia sometimes has an average winter temperature lower than that! I think I'd still love to visit there during the (short) summer though ^.^
Interesting destination. Do they keep horses there, and would it be relatively easy for you to get into the country?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Another country I actually looked at was Mongolia. The second and third most common languages are Russian and English, so I could get along nicely. It is the most sparsely populated country in the world, and it would be a paradise except for one thing: it's really, really cold! It makes South Dakota look tropical... South Dakota's record low was -22F this winter, but Mongolia sometimes has an average winter temperature lower than that! I think I'd still love to visit there during the (short) summer though ^.^
Interesting destination. Do they keep horses there, and would it be relatively easy for you to get into the country?

Oh yes, of course they have horses. Horses are actually one of the main industries of Mongolia, and the Mongolians were perhaps the first people to ride horses... I'm pretty sure they invented the stirrup, at least.
I'm not sure how difficult it is to get into the country though, I didn't look in depth into that. It appears that it would be quite easy to get a tourist visa, but I don't know how difficult it would be to permanently move there.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Another country I actually looked at was Mongolia. The second and third most common languages are Russian and English, so I could get along nicely. It is the most sparsely populated country in the world, and it would be a paradise except for one thing: it's really, really cold! It makes South Dakota look tropical... South Dakota's record low was -22F this winter, but Mongolia sometimes has an average winter temperature lower than that! I think I'd still love to visit there during the (short) summer though ^.^
Interesting destination. Do they keep horses there, and would it be relatively easy for you to get into the country?

Oh yes, of course they have horses. Horses are actually one of the main industries of Mongolia, and the Mongolians were perhaps the first people to ride horses... I'm pretty sure they invented the stirrup, at least.
I'm not sure how difficult it is to get into the country though, I didn't look in depth into that. It appears that it would be quite easy to get a tourist visa, but I don't know how difficult it would be to permanently move there.
Would be interesting to explore the area. Do you speak Russian fluently? Can imagine you will be treated like nobility there as it would have to take someone tough to tackle harsh conditions there.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Another country I actually looked at was Mongolia. The second and third most common languages are Russian and English, so I could get along nicely. It is the most sparsely populated country in the world, and it would be a paradise except for one thing: it's really, really cold! It makes South Dakota look tropical... South Dakota's record low was -22F this winter, but Mongolia sometimes has an average winter temperature lower than that! I think I'd still love to visit there during the (short) summer though ^.^
Interesting destination. Do they keep horses there, and would it be relatively easy for you to get into the country?

Oh yes, of course they have horses. Horses are actually one of the main industries of Mongolia, and the Mongolians were perhaps the first people to ride horses... I'm pretty sure they invented the stirrup, at least.
I'm not sure how difficult it is to get into the country though, I didn't look in depth into that. It appears that it would be quite easy to get a tourist visa, but I don't know how difficult it would be to permanently move there.
Would be interesting to explore the area. Do you speak Russian fluently? Can imagine you will be treated like nobility there as it would have to take someone tough to tackle harsh conditions there.

No I don't speak Russian fluently, but I'm already working on it anyway, because it's such a cool language.
Why would I be treated like nobility there though? (Besides having comparatively more money than most, and that I hear that the Mongolians are very hospitable people.)
bsbteng
i think i would only work if theres a job offered but im not moving with family. its hard to move and start all over again with a different cultures. maybe if were given the opportunity to travel to other country it would only be a vacation or a trip but were not probably live there.
deanhills
bsbteng wrote:
i think i would only work if theres a job offered but im not moving with family. its hard to move and start all over again with a different cultures. maybe if were given the opportunity to travel to other country it would only be a vacation or a trip but were not probably live there.
True. There is an English saying: a rolling stone never gathers any moss. I have to agree with it. I gave up much more when I moved to another country that I could have contemplated. On top of the list is familiarity with family. Distance changes relationships. If they are natural spontaneous ones, of the friendship bond variety, those will outlast any move, but those that you have to work at, such as family, loose a lot of its intensity. First you try to write and send Xmas and Birthday cards, then you don't get any in return, and eventually you give up.
facebookturkey
you should think about la paz. its very cheap
deanhills
facebookturkey wrote:
you should think about la paz. its very cheap
What is the safety like, and can one get away with English?
Related topics
Chavez: U.S. will 'bite the dust' if it invades
Ronaldo faces strong competition at national team
Misunderrepresented again, Dubya and the US economy
bush and condi talking...
Soldiers
Justification for War in Iraq
legalize (soft)drugs
Iran says will resume atomic work
www.screwgeorgebush.com
What's great about your country?
High Gas Prices...........It was all a hoax
Bush "Plays Dirty Trick" Declassifies More NIE
Is it a worry about Iran?
40 lashes over a teddy bear!!??
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Travel and Countries

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.