FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Attack on Sri Lankan Cricket players in Pakistan.

Cddhesh
I heard shocking news today, that players of Sri Lankan cricket team were attacked in the morning when they just arrived at their venue place. 4 players got injured 8 other people got killed.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/6-Lanka-cricketers-wounded-in-Lahore-attack/articleshow/4215872.cms

Its really shameful event that occurred in Pakistan.This shows hows insecure a country Pakistan is.
Let that person who fired be terrorist or can be local villager, but this event will definetly be a black spot on cricket.Pakistan is really in bad state these days.This event will mark ban on international matches in Pakistan.I don't think hence forth any other team will play any ODI in Pakistan.
This stood as a good lesson for Sri Lankan's they went to clean Donkeys buttocks thinking that Donkey will be friendly with them, but finally Donkey kicked Smile
Hope Sri Lankan team will learn something from this event.God bless Pakistan........
sheedatali
Well it is understandable that the frustration showed by international teams after repeated lack of security incidents in Pakistan. However one has to think the extent of the problem faced by Pakistan, I certainly think this particular incident could have been prevent given the tension in the area after Bombay attacks. However the challenges faced by Pakistan for overall stability and security in the county are massive and are not easy to combat. Take SriLanka itself, it has taken them decades to have a stronghold on Tamil tigers, similarly India has a huge number home grown terrorism events. The issue IMO is the change in culture and thinking at root level. Most extremism is coming from frustration of youth which is then channeled by extremists towards this type of incidents. Although Pakistan is facing massive issues and pressure from International community, however nothing is being done to help Pakistan. West has active war deployments in the area and as a result of which large number of Extremists use Pakistan (the weak party ) for their own benefits. Pakistan does not receive any help from West or America to combat what lets face it is anger towards West. So my heart goes to cricketers who got attacked and injured since they had nothing to do with this and should not have been targeted. I do not know the reason why this happened however nothing can justify this. What needs to happen is a consistent action against these extremists, education at root level, more direction and hope for youth and religious tolerance. Along with that Pakistan needs help from outside and international community to solve the issues. I am in no way defending what has happened, I am just annoyed that it keeps happening and we need action.
deanhills
Cddhesh wrote:
This shows hows insecure a country Pakistan is.

Rubbish! This had nothing to do with Pakistan. It was a calculated, pre-meditated, masterfully carried out terrorist operation with Al Quaeda connections. 14 terrorists did a stealth attack on a bus of cricket players, in the same way that they did in Mumbai, but this time they were much better trained to "disappear" after their attack. They just completely melted into the surrounding crowds and vanished from sight.

They had some bad luck though. The grenade/arms they slid under the bus did not detonate, so the bus driver was able to get the bus to the helicopter pad and they could airlift the players that had been unarmed, but by that time of course the attackers had vanished. I am almost certain the reason they vanished was not to save themselves, but to make sure that nobody can identify them and hold them for questioning.

I find it sheer iodicy for the cricket players to have been allowed to play in Pakistan. That was almost like taunting and mocking fate. How could they ever have thought the terrorists would never touch cricket? This is not about Pakistan, the only part that was important was that it was on Pakistan soil. And for El Quaeda to demonstrate its strength and ability IN Pakistan and of course to the whole world.

I don't think we have seen the last of this kind of operation.
ocalhoun
Cddhesh wrote:

Hope Sri Lankan team will learn something from this event.God bless Pakistan........

Cddhesh wrote:

Hope Pakistan will learn something from this event.God bless the Sri Lankan team........

Fixed.
deanhills
Cddhesh wrote:
God bless Pakistan........

True ... cricket is so much at the heart of Pakistan, Pakistan got hit in its heart today. Really sorry this happened for all the people of Pakistan, and all the cricket players in the world. God bless everyone.
atleetalie
It's horrible, terrorism is awful, but an attack on regular cricketplayers. They didn't do anything wrong, just doing there job.
deanhills
atleetalie wrote:
It's horrible, terrorism is awful, but an attack on regular cricketplayers. They didn't do anything wrong, just doing there job.

Right, they were also promised good protection by the Government, and apparnetly it turned out not to be that very good. Imran Khan was completely disillusioned by lack of Government assistance with security. A small company of police fought bravely for almost half an hour without any help from Government troops. So possibly no more international cricket in Pakistan for a long time to come.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090303/wl_sthasia_afp/pakistansrilankaattackscricketkhan_20090303225832
mattyj
what a terrible event

these islamic terrorists, if they are pakistani, are destroying their own country

this incident will not only prevent any cricket being played there for a long time , it will make a lot of tourists reconcider visiting there....
deanhills
mattyj wrote:
what a terrible event

these islamic terrorists, if they are pakistani, are destroying their own country

this incident will not only prevent any cricket being played there for a long time , it will make a lot of tourists reconcider visiting there....

Right. I'm still baffled though that there was so little security in place. Thinking about it though, we probably have to be really thankful that all the players are still alive and that the grenade did not explode under the bus.
vineeth
deanhills wrote:
mattyj wrote:
what a terrible event

Right. I'm still baffled though that there was so little security in place. Thinking about it though, we probably have to be really thankful that all the players are still alive and that the grenade did not explode under the bus.

"I believes that one stone is god. You believes that one tree is god. Someone else believes that something else is god".

Each and everyone tries to make others believe that "Only I'm right, and I'm the only way. I am doing a GREAT JOB by persuading you towards my truth". What will you call such a person?

Why terrorism? The world must think loud before their tricky leaders do, as the people are the only losers in the game. I am much disappointed with the attitude of US and other western countries towards Pakistan's militant groups (and of course not against the people of Pakistan). Many western people believes that keeping a mid way is the right thing to do when a debate arises. But terrorism is not a debate, its a living, bloody reality. We can't be philosophers all the time when our your people are being killed in one side...

Pakistan is my brother country and I like the people of Pakistan like my brother, I am sure about it. I have no conflicts between my Muslim friends in India as we both share the same philosophy, the oneness of reality, the God in common terms. But why some people want to kill others just because they belong to some other faiths?

The world community is running away from such serious questions in the name of "religious tolerance".

I wanted to speak more but I prefer not to do that at the moment as I do have numerous friends in Pakistan who believes in reality and freedom of thought. I don't want to hurt their feelings...

What to say, I feel sad, my brother country is like this....
deanhills
vineeth wrote:
The world community is running away from such serious questions in the name of "religious tolerance"

I understand where you are coming from, however perhaps the Pakistan Government should not have invited an international cricket team to play in its country if it could not really provide the security for the players that it had promised to provide. There has to be some show of responsibility on the part of the Pakistan Government, and I think the world did not see any of that in evidence when the cricket team was attacked. So why should the world want to intervene when the Government of that country is not doing enough to help itself? Rather then have the cricket matches in other countries until Pakistan can show meaningful change from within. The world can't do that for Pakistan.
vineeth
deanhills wrote:
vineeth wrote:
The world community is running away from such serious questions in the name of "religious tolerance"

I understand where you are coming from, however perhaps the Pakistan Government should not have invited an international cricket team to play in its country if it could not really provide the security for the players that it had promised to provide. There has to be some show of responsibility on the part of the Pakistan Government, and I think the world did not see any of that in evidence when the cricket team was attacked. So why should the world want to intervene when the Government of that country is not doing enough to help itself? Rather then have the cricket matches in other countries until Pakistan can show meaningful change from within. The world can't do that for Pakistan.

Ground realities often conflicts with lecture hall philosophy. None of us are safe, either we are in Pakistan, India or any other part of the world, if the roots of international terrorism is being addressed and resolved. Till then, each country, including Pakistan can only arrange for security from an attack and investigations.

It is now clear for all that Pakistan is a safe haven for those who are against humanity at large, let it be in the name of God or whatever else. And as it is an independent, sovereign country, it is their responsibility to manage them.
vineeth
deanhills wrote:
vineeth wrote:

Ground realities often conflicts with lecture hall philosophy. None of us are safe, either we are in Pakistan, India or any other part of the world, if the roots of international terrorism is being addressed and resolved. Till then, each country, including Pakistan can only arrange for security from an attack and investigations.

It is now clear for all that Pakistan is a safe haven for those who are against humanity at large, let it be in the name of God or whatever else. And as it is an independent, sovereign country, it is their responsibility to manage them.
vineeth
deanhills wrote:
vineeth wrote:

ocalhoun
mattyj wrote:

Not the way they see it. I'm sure they'd love to see cricket never be played in Pakistan again, because they want to get rid of the influence of Western culture.

The worst thing that could happen for the terrorists is for cricket playing to continue as normal. (With lots more security)
vineeth
ocalhoun wrote:
mattyj wrote:

Not the way they see it. I'm sure they'd love to see cricket never be played in Pakistan again, because they want to get rid of the influence of Western culture.

The worst thing that could happen for the terrorists is for cricket playing to continue as normal. (With lots more security)

Yes, cricket should continue in Pakistan. But I don't think that no team will agree to play in Pakistan in near future. So Pakistan should make arrangements to play more international cricket outside their country and keep the spirit of sports active.

When the situations changes and the country is capable of offering adequate security for players, Pakistan could and should be able to make a grand come back.
mattyj
do you think this will affect the sub-continent hosting the 2012 world cup?

Pakistan were meant to co-host with Sri Lanka and India, can India and Sri Lanka still do it? Or will it be moved to australia / new zealand (backup hosts) ?
vineeth
As of now, the game might not be played in Pakistan. BCCI already declared that the India team will not play in Pakistan for next five years. The same stand will be taken by most cricket councils in the world as no body wants to risk their lives and add more fuel to the already damaged political conditions.

Sri Lanka is also not a safe location because of the ability of LTTE to plan and implement an air strike anywhere in Lankan soils.

India is relatively safe and can provide adequate security for international players. But even in India, as it is so anywhere in the world, terrorists attempts to disturb the game may occur in the for of a bomb blast, suicide attack etc. But I am sure, Govt. of India can provide adequate protection for the teams and no external forces can interrupt the game.

Anyway, the decision is up to the ICC now.
deanhills
vineeth wrote:
India is relatively safe and can provide adequate security for international players.

I still do not understand it. If India can provide adequate security, why could Pakistan not?

I there is no proper protection from the Pakistan Government, and thereby cooperation with international cricket, then perhaps the best thing would be to boycot Pakistan from cricket. Even for a year as protest against the Pakistan Government for allowing the Sri Lankan players to be attacked.
Cddhesh
Quote:
deanhills wrote:
mattyj wrote:
what a terrible event

Well I don't understand one thing,What these terrorist wants. What exactly they want world to be.
If we are taking about Islamic terrorism, then why Islamic people are throwing stone on their own leg. this event proves that terrorists are against development of their own country.
Its really funny, or god knows this may be their new strategy.If we consider Islamic terrorists then are they against development of their own peoples economy?Or they want to just destroy whole world.

Well ICC's chief Cris Brod brought to notice that how this event was preplanned.It seems Pakistan team's bus was delayed by 10 minuets, so when Sri Lankan bus was under attack, Pakistan team bus was far away.

One more funny news i heard and read is about investigations of this event.Pakistan government declared that this event has been conducted by some other country it seems. They declared that soon will be in front of media with proofs.

This is similar to 26/11 attack incident on Mumbai. Pakistan never takes responsibilities. Smile Pakistan wants to be very very innocent person.Lets see where Pakistan reaches in investigation and what proofs it brings in front of us.
prithvi
The videos that showed some of the terrorists walking away after the attack to the Liberty Market area, clearly show that the Pakistan security arrangements were simply not enough.

When the terrorists attacked, the Pak policemen just fled the scene, as reported by the Sri Lankan players.
Who knows? Maybe, according to them, it isn't morally right to kill a terrorist. Laughing

After the incident, the Pak Govt is back at what it does best..........lies and doublespeak.

Instead of questioning itself as to why it could not provide security, it is pointing fingers at the attack victims, protesting against their comments to the media.

Earlier, they were hinting at the possibility of India having a hand in the attack.
When the Sri Lankan Govt rubbished these claims, the Pak Govt retracted its comments.

The Pak Govt clearly cannot do anything to dismantle the terror forces in that region.........on top of it, they ask for huge financial aid from the West to 'tackle the terrorists', manage to get them and then spend them on equipment, weapons etc. for the extremist groups.

You can't expect the cat to bell itself, do you?
prithvi
Cddhesh wrote:

.....One more funny news i heard and read is about investigations of this event. Pakistan government declared that this event has been conducted by some other country it seems........

Maybe they're confusing the terror attack with the cricket match. Wink

C'mon........why does Pakistan Govt need to 'import' terrorism? They have their very own hardcore home team.
If they ever need proof, they should just look in the backyard.
deanhills
prithvi wrote:
The videos that showed some of the terrorists walking away after the attack to the Liberty Market area, clearly show that the Pakistan security arrangements were simply not enough.
After the incident, the Pak Govt is back to what it does best..........lies and doublespeak.

Instead of questioning itself as to why it could not provide security, it is pointing fingers at the attack victims, protesting against their comments to the media.

Agreed in both instances, why were there not sufficient security arrangements by the Government when it was specifically asked and promised, and then the lies and doublespeak are double wrongs against the cricket teams who were going to play in Pakistan. I take my hat off for the US Government ability to liaise with a Government like that! I would not be surprised if the Pakistan army specifically organized their own absence from the security arrangements. They no doubt knew what was to happen. Especially if they are that fast to identify the perpetrators, when not a single individual who had been at the site of the terrorist attacks could do that. Possibly that had also been arranged AHEAD of the terrorist attacks.

And yes, agreed again. On top of helping the terrorists, the army (through its Government) is asking for funds from the West for security arrangements. Strange that they should ask for it AFTER the terrorists' attack. Or perhaps not so strange? I would not be surprised at all if those funds have already been earmarked for the terrorists.
vineeth
When we are judging the social and political situations in Pakistan, we are using our country as a reference. But situations in Pakistan is not conductive for any sort of "talks" and all. Terrorism is a living reality in Pakistan but under the shadow of religious functions and sentiments.

As I said somewhere else, religion, when it is not practiced with a pure heart and sharp intellect, could bring tremendous harm for the society.
deanhills
vineeth wrote:
As I said somewhere else, religion, when it is not practiced with a pure heart and sharp intellect, could bring tremendous harm for the society.

True. Sad part is those with impure/no hearts can sometimes have sharper intellect as their focus would be more single-minded.
davidfromoz
First and foremost, I'm sad for the Pakistani policemen who died and their families. This is the biggest tragedy here. I'd like to think that the foreign players and officials would honor them for making the ultimate sacrifice.

Its very sad for Pakistan too. I'm fairly sure that this is the end of international cricket in Pakistan for a long time. I agree with ocalhoun that this is what the terrorists want and perhaps the best thing to do would be to up security and continue to play. But I believe nobody will want to go there to play cricket.

Pakistan people LOVE cricket. I'm very sure that this action has very little support from the general public. I hope this event will result in a groundswell of anti-terrorism in Pakistan. But it was very sad for me to see Pakistani politicians suggesting that foreigners were responsible. This situation requires a forceful unequivocal condemnation and strong response from Pakistan, its government and its people. The ball is in their court and its their credibility that is on the line.

cheers,
david
deanhills
davidfromoz wrote:
First and foremost, I'm sad for the Pakistani policemen who died and their families. This is the biggest tragedy here. I'd like to think that the foreign players and officials would honor them for making the ultimate sacrifice.

Its very sad for Pakistan too. I'm fairly sure that this is the end of international cricket in Pakistan for a long time. I agree with ocalhoun that this is what the terrorists want and perhaps the best thing to do would be to up security and continue to play. But I believe nobody will want to go there to play cricket.

Pakistan people LOVE cricket. I'm very sure that this action has very little support from the general public. I hope this event will result in a groundswell of anti-terrorism in Pakistan. But it was very sad for me to see Pakistani politicians suggesting that foreigners were responsible. This situation requires a forceful unequivocal condemnation and strong response from Pakistan, its government and its people. The ball is in their court and its their credibility that is on the line.

cheers,
david

Pakistan people are not really in touch with their Government and the other way round. Everything is messy and nothing makes sense. The fact that there was no back-up for the police men who so tragically died defending the cricket players speaks volumes. I doubt that cricket teams can trust the Pakistan Government and it will take a very long time for them to visit the country again. A good strategy may have been a boycot of the Pakistan cricket team for an X number of matches. The objective being to get people in Pakistan to sort out their Government.
harismushtaq
The attackers have been video tapped by security cameras as they were escaping. It does not seem that they have just killed half a dozen people and injured dozen others. They are strolling slowly in the treets talking to each other waiting for thier friends to come and pick them. So it does not seem that they were in danger of being caught. This raises doubts if this was terrorism or drama.

The notion of flustrated youth is very true but there is not enough that people from outside Pakistan can do to end this flustration. The sources are within Pakistan. Electricity, consumables and other stuff is going more and more expensive and poverty level is increasing. Only because of the corruption at elite level. Few people are making millions and the rest of the country is struggling for thier basic needs. It is not logical for a government to buy thousands of luxury cars when the country is not even able to meet its electricity needs and people are facing 6-8 hours of loadshedding every day. So flustration is definitly there.
deanhills
harismushtaq wrote:
The attackers have been video tapped by security cameras as they were escaping. It does not seem that they have just killed half a dozen people and injured dozen others. They are strolling slowly in the treets talking to each other waiting for thier friends to come and pick them. So it does not seem that they were in danger of being caught. This raises doubts if this was terrorism or drama.

The notion of flustrated youth is very true but there is not enough that people from outside Pakistan can do to end this flustration. The sources are within Pakistan. Electricity, consumables and other stuff is going more and more expensive and poverty level is increasing. Only because of the corruption at elite level. Few people are making millions and the rest of the country is struggling for thier basic needs. It is not logical for a government to buy thousands of luxury cars when the country is not even able to meet its electricity needs and people are facing 6-8 hours of loadshedding every day. So flustration is definitly there.

I'm sorry, anything that comes from the Government of Pakistan, after this terror attack, is very suspicious and "convenient" to me. I am almost certain those video tapes would have been of completely different people and I feel sorry for the people who they have decided to make the culprits.
Chinmoy
this is a shameful act. Not only this act of terrorism brings pakistan under scrutiny, it also brings the world of cricket under tension as a huge gathering of so many matches for the IPL will be a really tough job to manage for us indians, now that none of our neighbours are safe enough to give us a moral ground for support.