FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IQ

Noremac
Hey, I'm looking for a half decent and accurate online test for my IQ. Not that it really matters to me because I really don't think you can truly categorise people as smart or dumb but I'm curious.

Any suggestions?

Also feel free to post your score in this thread. I will.

Oh and this test would be free too.
Xanatos
Noremac wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for a half decent and accurate online test for my IQ. Not that it really matters to me because I really don't think you can truly categorise people as smart or dumb but I'm curious.

Any suggestions?

Good luck finding one. None of the online tests are going to give you any sort of real data. It is likely that you will need to take a real proctored test. Try the Mensa testt or something.
jessicawalker
Well, I started browsing after reading your post and came to testq.com. I took the "Classic IQ Test". It was extremely easy and probably not very accurate, but here are my results:

Quote:
Visionary Philosopher

Your IQ Score is: 142

Your mind's strengths allow you to think ahead of the game — to imagine or anticipate what should come next in just about any situation. Because you're equally skilled in the numerical and verbal universes of the brain, you can draw from multiple sources of information to come up with great ideas. The timelessness of your vision and the balance between your various skills are what make you a Visionary Philosopher.

In addition to your strengths in math and linguistics, you have a knack for matching and anticipating patterns. These skills and your uncanny ability to detect the underlying blueprint of most of life's situations add to your Visionary Philosopher mind. Two philosophers who share the same combination of skills you possess are Plato and Benedict Spinoza. Spinoza had insight into how things worked in the world. He could envision a future based on the patterns he saw in life, and used mathematical logic as a structure within which to present his philosophical arguments. With that base he was able to use logic to formulate his theories. Borrowing from his linguistic strengths he wrote eloquent texts and, therefore, was able to bring his philosophical ideas and structure to the rest of the world. His story exemplifies the talents that are present in the Visionary Philosopher intellectual type.

Whatever you decide to do in life, you've got a powerful mix of skills and insight that can be applied in a wide variety of ways. You can expand your mind to understand a situation. Your strong balance of math and verbal skills will help you explain things to others. For example, if you were on an archaeological dig and discovered an object, you could probably use your deductive powers to figure out not only what the object was but also how it was used. Given your ability to put things together, you are more than capable of inventing a life plan that is in synch with your perspective on how things were, how they are, and how they might be one day.

So other people should take it, just to compare results!
Vladalf
I do not trust iq tests and I can't bare all the insulting questions they force you to answer.
Vladk
ocalhoun
jessicawalker wrote:
It was extremely easy and probably not very accurate, but here are my results:

I kind of suspect online tests try to be easy for a purpose:
If you score high, you'll be more flattered and far more interested in paying for or signing up for the special 'more information' analysis...

I don't think there is such a thing as a real, accurate, free IQ test. (The best kind of IQ tests have some questions that are not multiple choice, and they have to be reviewed and graded by a professional.)
(If there is a really good free one, please point it out: I'd like to take it and compare the results with the usual free online tests.)
deanhills
Ocalhoun is right, one would most likely only get the real McCoy IQ tests at professional career and psychology counselling places.

The only part of an IQ test I think is really useful for me is where they can test your aptitude for math, science or the arts. Some people are genuinely gifted in math and science and some IQ tests are good at showing that. I wish that they could test that during the early school years in a meaningful way so that children who are gifted in any direction could immediately benefit from the right teaching in their gifted area, and those who have no interest or aptitude in a given direction, get only basic necessary teaching in the area they are not gifted in, and then be allowed to excel in that area where they are gifted in.
PennyLane
test mentioned above, I scored 126 (as a foreigner!! :p)
actually they're never quit accurately. which is a pity, because I think everyone would like to know his or her IQ
Noremac
jessicawalker wrote:
Well, I started browsing after reading your post and came to testq.com. I took the "Classic IQ Test". It was extremely easy and probably not very accurate, but here are my results:

Quote:
Visionary Philosopher

Your IQ Score is: 142

So other people should take it, just to compare results!

Isn't that like genius level?

Claps to you.

Well it seems that there aren't really accurate tests on the net so I'll just take this one and hopefully others will and we can compare scores and gloat at each other. Smile

Visionary Philosopher
Your IQ Score is: 138
Well I'm in second place Razz
Xanatos
Well a real IQ test is a standardized test that has been constructed by professionals. They have changed over the years and most involve some sort of interactive/oral component because just taking a test isn't good enough to gauge your real IQ. Of course there are some who say that IQ can't be "quantified", but real tests given by professionals are the closest you are going to get. And real IQ tests have far less of those crappy fill in the blank of this idiom questions than the online one mentioned above.
hamza1122
yea i don't think the online tests are accurate because i've take a lot of iq tests and it says that my iq is like 135. I guess this means that im smarter than hilary and george bush. Well, practically anyone is smarter than George bush. Nah jokes.
Parkour_Jarrod
Yeah online IQ tests aren't accurate because i did the same test twice gave the same answers and one said i had IQ of 189 and the otehr said 126 so i don't believe them ><
sondosia
I guess they're all pretty bad, but the Facebook one seems ok...the answer it gave me was realistic, and then it showed me all my friends' IQs (who'd taken the test) and they made sense...but I have no idea how close it is to the actual number.
william
Online tests are WAY off. I took the Classic IQ Test, and got 144 (confirmed that all answers were correct). To be honest, I just did it for some mental exercise. To be honest, I find the whole IQ thing to be an inaccurate way of determining intelligence. I usually max out every test I've taken, so my scores range from 135 to some crazy 200+ on this odd IQ test. Pointless, really. Worse, one test gave me two different scores despite the fact I used the same answers both times.

Oh well, at the problems are interesting...sometimes.
jessicawalker
william wrote:
Online tests are WAY off. I took the Classic IQ Test, and got 144 (confirmed that all answers were correct). To be honest, I just did it for some mental exercise. To be honest, I find the whole IQ thing to be an inaccurate way of determining intelligence. I usually max out every test I've taken, so my scores range from 135 to some crazy 200+ on this odd IQ test. Pointless, really. Worse, one test gave me two different scores despite the fact I used the same answers both times.

So you're now in first place in this, the Unofficial "Classic IQ Test" Challenge.

Just kidding.

I am curious to see other people's results, though. So go take it, people!

Go here:
http://www.testq.com/career/quizzes/show/121
Noremac
william wrote:

You don't need to go and show me up like that, but I do agree, I honestly do not believe you can truly determine someone's IQ from even the most accurate tests, let alone these internet ones.

But maybe I'm just saying that cause I'm third.
HamsterMan
As IQ is determined by standardized tests then no, taking an online test wouldn't show you your IQ. But, that also means that IQ is just a scale set to measure specific problem solving/pattern finding abilities, and just because the regular IQ scale is so widely accepted/used doesn't mean it actually tells you how intelligent someone is, as there really is no absolute definition of what intelligence really means.
Xanatos
HamsterMan wrote:
As IQ is determined by standardized tests then no, taking an online test wouldn't show you your IQ. But, that also means that IQ is just a scale set to measure specific problem solving/pattern finding abilities, and just because the regular IQ scale is so widely accepted/used doesn't mean it actually tells you how intelligent someone is, as there really is no absolute definition of what intelligence really means.

Looks like somebody didn't score so well on an IQ test... No I kid I kid

But yeah there is quite a lot of debate on how far we can really measure intelligence. Its a complicated and often touchy subject.
Ghost900
Ya most online IQ's can be found on banner ads saying "Obama's IQ is 123, Whats yours" and of course you get a higher one and then thing you should run for President Very Happy

On a more serious note, I don't think there are any or only a few that actually would show your IQ somewhat accurately.
kojakos
i found a pretty acurate one sadly in french but it comes from a school site so try maybe the name of a scholar comission
Helios
Guys, this thread won't become an "IQ competition" sort of thread.
Please try to stay on topic.

About IQ tests, I've done few online, but they really don't look like they're trustworthy, so I wouldn't recommend people taking them for any reason but entertainment.
Take a real test, but only if you need to for a job interview (let's assume), or something else that will be worth your time. Don't waste time and money if you don't really need to.
endless
> 9999 Very Happy

ok it's 143, but I don't really think someones intelligence can be measured by a number.
most of these tests don't give accurate results, because if you take a test it means your iq a that moment, you might have an off day, or just guess, and guessing isn't intelligence it's luck (unless it's more liek a logical quess, but that is something different than jsut checking a random checkbox.)
valadez
Uber fail on having to sign up Confused
I got 144, but IQ tests in general are flawed since someone has to make the test, so then the test is based on the opinions of that person.
That test had a few questions that were basically repeated but reworded, a bit unfair for those that couldn't do it the first time as it's unlikely they will the 2nd, and those that could do it the first time will have an easy extra correct answer.

Also people put too much faith in IQ tests when in reality it doesn't really mean that much, in official tests I score highly but I don't have a job, never finished my education and can struggle in social situations. Lot of good a high IQ did for me Embarassed
PatTheGreat42
Yeah, the only half decent online type tests I've ever seen were just precursory"oh hey now pay us for an actual proctored exam" type thing. I think if you want a half decent IQ test you're finding a professional.
{name here}
Noremac wrote:

Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, if you really want an accurate test, you need to go to a professional. If you can't do that, the next best thing is a testing book available at any bookstore. You might be able to get a used one from a local bookstore. I don't think a free, decent and accurate IQ test even exists online.
Arty
I don't care about IQ tests anymore. There are just so many different kinds and no test can accurately measure your "intelligence".
snowynight
Noremac wrote:

Any suggestions?

How old are you? a person 20+will be not be able to test his/her iq since IQ tests are designed for young people.
jessicawalker
snowynight wrote:
Noremac wrote:

Any suggestions?

How old are you? a person 20+will be not be able to test his/her iq since IQ tests are designed for young people.

That's ridiculous.
deanhills
snowynight wrote:
Hmmm so does this then mean that people over 20 do not have IQs anymore Shocked Baloney Rolling Eyes

http://www.iqtest.com/
http://www.highiqsociety.org/iq_tests/
http://www.intelligencetest.com/
http://www.iq-testing-online.com/
HamsterMan
deanhills wrote:
snowynight wrote:
Hmmm so does this then mean that people over 20 do not have IQs anymore Shocked Baloney Rolling Eyes

I think what he means is that most IQ tests are designed for people under 20. But yeah still every IQ test I've seen have had the option to choose ages over 20 years.

Once again, IQ are not synonymous to intelligence, as what measured can never become the measurement. Don't expect yourself to be some kind of genius if you score > 140-150 in an IQ test. It just shows that you have become skilled in IQ tests specifically.
jsarnold
Most online IQ tests are exceptionally generous, and inflate your score slightly to make you think you're even smarter than you may be, in the hope that you will then pay a fee for an 'official' test and certificate.

For those in the UK, Mensa is the most reliable test, and is carried out in proper examination conditions on paper.

My IQ is so high they haven't managed to create a test that's capable of assessing its full capability.
Xanatos
jsarnold wrote:
My IQ is so high they haven't managed to create a test that's capable of assessing its full capability.

They say that measuring high IQ is much more difficult, but I am curious as to what measure you base your claim on.
jsarnold
Brain the size of a planet and all that...

...oh, and I didn't follow your avatar instructions!
HamsterMan
Simply put, any IQ two standard deviations (15) over the norm (100) is not reliable and can not accurately be tested and compared. So comparing say, 180 IQ and 150 wouldn't prove anything.

This is because IQ is determined so that a certain percent of the people are within a certain number of points. The majority will ALWAYS have 100 IQ.
Solon_Poledourus
First of all, the IQ test is flawed. It tests people based on cultural assumptions, as well as other prejudices. One person can take the standard IQ test many times and get drastically different scores every time(I've done this myself years ago).
For a rundown of the history, here is a link: History of the IQ test.
jsarnold
I wonder how many people boating that they have a high IQ even know what the letters stand for, or what is meant by quotient...?
deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
jsarnold wrote:

They say that measuring high IQ is much more difficult, but I am curious as to what measure you base your claim on.

I have the same question. Shocked
jsarnold
I would explain, but just trying to think down to your level gives me a headache...
HamsterMan
Could we please stop with the trolling and carry on with the topic, mmkay?
jsarnold
HamsterMan wrote:
Could we please stop with the trolling and carry on with the topic, mmkay?

Clearly someone never read The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy...! Wink
HamsterMan
jsarnold wrote:

Clearly someone never read The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy...! Wink

Ah. No I've seen it, just didn't catch the reference.
jsarnold
When it comes to IQs, Marvin the Paranoid Android is a god.

In actual fact, I did sit a Mensa test years ago, but in reality it means so little that it's hardly worth mentioning the score.

I think that intelligence is seriously overrated.

Common sense is what seems to be lacking in most cases. Now if there was a CS test I'd be interested. I wonder what all our scores would be, compared to our IQs?

Perhaps we could generate a CS test?
jessicawalker
I would score very low on a CS test, I think.
truespeed
I got 126 on this particular IQ test,i could of got more correct,but i am a lazy thinker,with some questions that required thought,i just guessed.

The lazy thinker,rodins unfinished sculpture.
Xanatos
jsarnold wrote:
In actual fact, I did sit a Mensa test years ago, but in reality it means so little that it's hardly worth mentioning the score.

Mensa no longer gives out "IQ scores". They just let you know if you passed or not. It makes sense to do it this way I suppose, especially with the fact that IQ above 130 is hard to measure and the requirement for Mensa is 132 on a standard scale. Plus I can imagine how the "smarter than thou" mentality could have really hindered the social structure of Mensa.
Noremac
jsarnold wrote:
I would explain, but just trying to think down to your level gives me a headache...

lol to all your input in this topic...

But seriously I created this topic as a fun thing, I don't actually feel the need to test myself because I'm already certain of my god-like mental capacity.

Saying that, I'm also certain of my god-like physical capabilities. I've been considering running for prime-minister.
Roswell75
IQ test will generally give you an idea on how good you are with logic .

does it prove you are more intelligent or superior to anyone ? no

it just prove you are good with logic which is one of the identified type of intelligence (believe there is 7).

Mensa test only test 3 kind of measurable intelligence among 5 or 6 identified of logic type of Intelligence.

Myself I generally score around 125 to 137 in IQ test, succeeded Mensa test on 1 test among 3 ... but I give more value to my emotional intelligence than my logic one.

Do I feel superior because I have a good IQ ... yes ... and this will prove you can have a good IQ and still be STUPID ! Razz
gcaughill
ocalhoun wrote:
jessicawalker wrote:
It was extremely easy and probably not very accurate, but here are my results:

I kind of suspect online tests try to be easy for a purpose:
If you score high, you'll be more flattered and far more interested in paying for or signing up for the special 'more information' analysis...

I don't think there is such a thing as a real, accurate, free IQ test. (The best kind of IQ tests have some questions that are not multiple choice, and they have to be reviewed and graded by a professional.)
(If there is a really good free one, please point it out: I'd like to take it and compare the results with the usual free online tests.)

Yes, they are in it for the $.

Good luck finding something usable though.
biljap
I was trying to find some IQ tests and some sort of games just to exercise my brain... However, all of these free online tests gave me different result... And, as English is not my native language, I had a problem with understanding every single word, and timer was going... Rolling Eyes

Those graphical parts of the tests are actually very interesting and may show how someone is capable to think and solve some real life situations...
TentativeChaos
I don't think that any IQ test, online, or not, proctored or not, can give you a really accurate result. The real problem is that the answer a person gives you about any given question could mean such and such about them, but not necessarily. This is especially bad with multiple choice questions wherein a person may not agree with either choice but is forces to choose anyway. The only really way to gauge IQ is just to observe someone doing stuff. But, even then, to get any accurate feel for their IQ. Even then though you couldn't be very sure, much less accurate.
stel4e
I am looking for mathematical IQ tests.. if somebody knows where I can find from these online would be great!
Utopia GFR
I never attached any importance to IQ tests for I believe you cannot evaluate the intelligence (I even wonder if intelligence can be defined) of a person if it's only based upon logic.

Achieving a IQ test with less than 100 doesn't mean that person should be classified as less smarter than the rest of the population, typical remark of social discrimination.

Most people wouldn't dare do those tests (and even more when the results are displayed to friends like on the Facebook network) because they know they wouldn't appreciate being disregarded because they did not find the intruder in a set of 5 items or managed to resolve a square root.

What really bothers me isn't the concept of IQ tests but all the stereotypes behind.

One good thing though, it's probably the most valid way to locate gifted people.
misha9090
Someone have great site for iq test? thanks for helping
SyHz
i got 110 :/
http://www.illvet.se/htm/IQTest/sv/index.html
swedish test^^
HamsterMan
That test was kinda fun, got 129. But I don't think that kind of word test should be included in an iq test. My score in the word test dragged my score down from 137.5 to 129.