FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mother Board with onboard Router: Do they Exits

Possum
Hi

I just came across the EP45-DQ6 motherboard that has 4 Ethernet ports.

does this mean that the EP45-DQ6 has an onboard router.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before. Maybe on a cheaper motherboard.
k_s_baskar
I think you are talking about gigabyte motherboard with 4 eithernet ports. In my thoughts it is not necessary for inbuilding more than one rj45 port in a motherboard. technically we want to face some problems by inbuilding a router in a mohterboard.
Nowadays routers and swithes are very cheap too. so why we need a router in a m/b?
mOrpheuS
Possum wrote:
Hi

I just came across the EP45-DQ6 motherboard that has 4 Ethernet ports.

does this mean that the EP45-DQ6 has an onboard router.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before. Maybe on a cheaper motherboard.

From the specifications listed on the manufacturer's website, it doesn't appear to be having router capabilities - just four ethernet ports/controllers.

Quote:
(Note) To enable Teaming or Bonding (IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation) feature, it is required the connected network switch or router device supports the IEEE 802.3ad LACP standard. Please refer to your network switch or router device manual for further details.
ocalhoun
Its just a way to get an extraordinarily fast network connection for that computer.

It would be great for a computer that was part of a server farm or cluster, but for a home PC you won't use it, because the network hardware to support it will be very expensive.
Arnie
I suppose you can install software to make a router with the four interfaces. Probably Linux software...
ForceRun
You can set up almost any computer as a router, just takes some know how.
badai
in 1995, our router is a 486 with two network cards running on slackware. cater to 5,000 PCs on a 28k connection.