FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why is California in financial trouble?





deanhills
I cannot understand why California is a State that is in more financial trouble than most states in the US. Why is this the case? Hollywood earns trillions of dollars, has of the wealthiest actors in the world all living in California, spending millions of dollars. California features prominently in all industry, San Francisco has to be a thriving City, and so San Diego as well. I can't understand this. Anyone got some insights?
coreymanshack
deanhills wrote:
I cannot understand why California is a State that is in more financial trouble than most states in the US. Why is this the case? Hollywood earns trillions of dollars, has of the wealthiest actors in the world all living in California, spending millions of dollars. California features prominently in all industry, San Francisco has to be a thriving City, and so San Diego as well. I can't understand this. Anyone got some insights?


Corrupt leaders that we elected. WE ELECTED Very Happy.
badai
corrupt union leader to be exact.
badai
here some insights

http://www.clipmarks.com/clipmark/831CE923-DE32-4739-AD4F-7691B5C8A305/
deanhills
badai wrote:
here some insights

http://www.clipmarks.com/clipmark/831CE923-DE32-4739-AD4F-7691B5C8A305/


Thanks for the insights. I would have thought this would be a typical problem on the East Coast and am completly surprised to find it on the West Coast!
Afaceinthematrix
There are plenty of reasons... A piss poor governor doesn't help the cause. I didn't vote for him (partially because I wasn't 18 at the time that he was elected - although I did try to convince all of the voters NOT to vote for him 5 years ago). Poor budgeting, unions, illegal immigration (although I'm not against immigration, of course, I just think anyone living here should have to pay taxes), etc...
coreymanshack
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
There are plenty of reasons... A piss poor governor doesn't help the cause. I didn't vote for him (partially because I wasn't 18 at the time that he was elected - although I did try to convince all of the voters NOT to vote for him 5 years ago). Poor budgeting, unions, illegal immigration (although I'm not against immigration, of course, I just think anyone living here should have to pay taxes), etc...


amen, "bunking" the system is only hurting those around you.
deanhills
coreymanshack wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
There are plenty of reasons... A piss poor governor doesn't help the cause. I didn't vote for him (partially because I wasn't 18 at the time that he was elected - although I did try to convince all of the voters NOT to vote for him 5 years ago). Poor budgeting, unions, illegal immigration (although I'm not against immigration, of course, I just think anyone living here should have to pay taxes), etc...


amen, "bunking" the system is only hurting those around you.

I still wonder how he became Governor. Who voted for him?
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
There are plenty of reasons... A piss poor governor doesn't help the cause. I didn't vote for him (partially because I wasn't 18 at the time that he was elected - although I did try to convince all of the voters NOT to vote for him 5 years ago). Poor budgeting, unions, illegal immigration (although I'm not against immigration, of course, I just think anyone living here should have to pay taxes), etc...


amen, "bunking" the system is only hurting those around you.

I still wonder how he became Governor. Who voted for him?


Every 25- year old in California that's seen The Terminator. Oh yeah... And most other people that I know. He actually got a lot of votes.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Every 25- year old in California that's seen The Terminator. Oh yeah... And most other people that I know. He actually got a lot of votes.


Come off it Afaceinthematrix. Some of the most enlightened people in the United States live in California. And even if they did not vote during the election, they have to take responsibility for having this Governor as their Governor. Just like Bush. Complaining and complaining and not doing anything about it. If the election system is not the right one to get suitable leadership material, perhaps the people of California need to change it?
Xanatos
It isn't just the governor either. It is also the crappy state congress that approved our budget these past years.
deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
It isn't just the governor either. It is also the crappy state congress that approved our budget these past years.

Guess it's time for a BIG change in California politics? Roll up the sleeves and get to work? Can imagine there must be quite a number of people in California thinking this way right now, hope they will act on their thoughts soon, although I have not doubt they will. Usually when the economy is doing really bad, it usually gives people plenty of food for thought and action. Smile
standready
A big problem sadly for them is all the illegal immigrats the state takes care of. California just gives them everything. Most of the wealthy people claim residents in other states and purchase items out of state to avoid California's taxes.
deanhills
standready wrote:
A big problem sadly for them is all the illegal immigrats the state takes care of. California just gives them everything. Most of the wealthy people claim residents in other states and purchase items out of state to avoid California's taxes.
This is a really interesting insight. Especially the part about claiming residency in other states and I can imagine services such as engineering, etc. that involve lots of money also are purchased out of state. Wonder whether they can put a stop to things like that, as California is a beautiful State, and it deserves better.
Afaceinthematrix
Well I am wondering what will happen now... Taxes were just raised (again) for a "temporary" amount of time. We all know that history says that this new tax will never go away... So will this new sale tax increase state revenue or decrease state revenue since people may spend less because of it (the sales tax just jumped from 7.75% to 8.75% on April 1)?
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Well I am wondering what will happen now... Taxes were just raised (again) for a "temporary" amount of time. We all know that history says that this new tax will never go away... So will this new sale tax increase state revenue or decrease state revenue since people may spend less because of it (the sales tax just jumped from 7.75% to 8.75% on April 1)?
I was rather shocked to learn that a big reason for the problems is that business in California are contracting out services and equipment to other States, which are cheaper than California. I wonder whether it would not be a good idea to increase taxes on those "contracted-out" type of services by adding double sales tax. Smile
standready
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Well I am wondering what will happen now... Taxes were just raised (again) for a "temporary" amount of time.

There is nothing more permanent than a "temporary" tax!
deanhills
standready wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Well I am wondering what will happen now... Taxes were just raised (again) for a "temporary" amount of time.

There is nothing more permanent than a "temporary" tax!
Exactly. The mere mention of "temporary" is usually like a palliative to help people swallow very bad tasting medicine.
yagnyavalkya
The whole world is in financial trouble so it does not make a difference
deanhills
yagnyavalkya wrote:
The whole world is in financial trouble so it does not make a difference
Why do you say the whole world? Not all countries are involved, and I'm not even sure that those who say they have trouble, really have trouble to the extent they are saying. Think quite a number of Governments are lying to bail themselves out of trouble, to put fear in their citizens in order to get them to fund bail-outs.
slashnburn99
We have this advert in the UK (this is the outakes) from Visit California

This advert must have cost a bit

http://www.viddler.com/explore/meringcarson/videos/1/
toasterintheoven
California's had it good for too long, they've been lucky since the gold rush
dwxco
For too long, people and governments have been operating with the premise that they can always borrow or tax for what they need. The last credit crunch has stopped that behavior, so now they need to balance their budget.
ongdesign
Because we are too far left. Union leader, politicians led us in to budget trouble. They all corrupt. Very Happy
zeda
The newspapers wrote that the citizans of California voted against higher taxes and in favour of expensive activities to be done by the government.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Every 25- year old in California that's seen The Terminator. Oh yeah... And most other people that I know. He actually got a lot of votes.


Come off it Afaceinthematrix. Some of the most enlightened people in the United States live in California. And even if they did not vote during the election, they have to take responsibility for having this Governor as their Governor.


Yes, some people there are enlightened.
But the scary thing about a democracy is that the vast majority of people are not enlightened, and their numbers allow them to overrule the intelligent ones.
When someone who is already as popular as the 'governator' runs for office, they'll get all the votes they need just from fans, and from loyal party members who will vote for the (R) or the (D), no matter who's name goes with it. Those two groups together are easily enough to get someone elected no matter what their actual stance on any issues is.
ortie10
Impart to too much government spending on projects that politicians incur incentives for. They get bills passed with people blind to the truth behind their proposals. What's new, California is just in an extreme circumstance.
epspk
so is it the Terminator's fault?
Related topics
The Blonde Telegram
Progresive Metal
The OC
More front page news NOT on the front page..
Have you ever have a god's miracle in your life ?
Why do we always have wars?
FORUM CREATION
...all religion aside - is it wrong to be gay?
why my grandma likes to tell lies?
Nawaz Sharif arrives Saudi Arabia
File/Folder(s) Owner/Group
HELP! No-one can stop my bros. addiction to drugs!
Wouldn't this scare the s**t out of you?
I want to understand Icelandic Financial Troubles
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Economics and Marketing

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.