FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facebook Apps

cr3ativ3
Hey,

I would just like to verify that we are allowed to develop, and host facebook applications. On our hosting here at frihost?
rvec
yeah it's allowed. The server probably won't even see the difference between a facebook app and a normal webpage.
Bondings
Unless it would become very popular, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to use your hosting account for it. Very Happy
cr3ativ3
Awesome guys, thanks!
ankurthakur
Bondings wrote:
Unless it would become very popular, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't be able to use your hosting account for it. Very Happy

What if they become popular and increases server load ?

However I am going to put a Usage Delay on Apps which will prevent users from using Apps continuously and wait for a while to use it.

But How it matters ? Lets say, if by chance, it increases server load. So what will happen to my account ?
Account will be Deleted/Closed Temporarily/Banned or what ? Razz
Bondings
@ankurthakur, it's the same as for the websites. The server should be able to handle all the accounts/websites on it and if one website (or facebook app, although in practice it's actually still a website) takes all the resources and causes problems for the other websites then I have to act somehow.

If you aren't doing anything malicious or against the rules (eg warez, copyright infringement, spam, ...) then you won't be banned and your account won't be removed either (unless you are inactive and your points are very low - but that's a different story then). If I have to because an account is taking down the server, then that (hosting) account will get suspended. Otherwise I create an Alert (AWIT) stating that you should lower the server load or move the domain elsewhere in some reasonable time. (This doesn't happen often, usually it's either a hacked account or an overspammed forum that is causing a high server load/server downtime.)

You can always try to make the app usage of the server fast by trying to limit the MySQL queries and make them fast. The less resource intensive it becomes to handle a single user, the more users you can have.

But really, first try to focus on creating the app and app backend while just taking in mind that you should keep the queries/pages small/fast. And if you do that it will probably take a long while before it becomes too popular and causes too much server load. And by then you can probably already monetize it by ads or Facebook coins and hire your own vps/server for it.
ankurthakur
Ah... Thanks a lot for all the useful and informative info... Very Happy

I will keep them all in mind Wink
futurcat
did the app work at the end? if so please send me a pm (if you don't want to advertise it in a response) so that I can check this.
IceCreamTruck
futurcat wrote:
did the app work at the end? if so please send me a pm (if you don't want to advertise it in a response) so that I can check this.

I too am interested to see what other frihosters have done with this ability! I was considering hosting those portions of my project elsewhere, but I'm excited to see that we have a solid testing platform available to us here... Bondings is my hero! Smile