FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hard drive problem?

prithvi
Hi folks.

Since last night, my comp had been 'freezing' frequently.
A very low whirring-clicking sound was coming from the hard drive area. (I have 3 hard drives)
This sound is somewhat similar to the kind you get when you insert a bad (unreadable) CD/DVD in your drive and it tries to read it.

The first time, I switched off the system for some time. But later, this problem happened again.
Is this a hard drive problem? or overheating? (The temperatures here are a bit high now, with the summer on since last week)

I tried unplugging the drives to pinpoint the particular one..........but now, the problem has stopped occurring for a while.
Right now, all file contents seem to be OK on my drives.

So any advice regarding this prob?

Thanks in advance.
Arnie
Make backups NOW. Hard drives often announce their nearing death by making strange sounds.
mOrpheuS
prithvi wrote:
Hi folks.

A very low whirring-clicking sound was coming from the hard drive area. (I have 3 hard drives)
This sound is somewhat similar to the kind you get when you insert a bad (unreadable) CD/DVD in your drive and it tries to read it.

Whirring sound can be quite normal.
The clicking sound however could be the signal of an impending drive failure.

Here's an interesting site - collection of sounds from failing hard drives.
prithvi
Thanks for the replies, folks.

and thanks for that wiki link, morpheus.

Time for backups Shocked

The system is running normal as of now, but can't take any chances.
aningbo
its probably loose connection or faulty wires....

cant say for sure but yeah its time u get dvds burning
prithvi
aningbo wrote:

Could be a possibility.
Thanks and yes, did quite a few backups.

Though that problem has stopped occurring in the particular drive, every time I boot the system, CHKDSK runs automatically to scan a logical drive in that particular hard disk.
It reports proper file indexes and no bad sectors.

Do I need to re-format those partitions?
Craeft
prithvi wrote:
aningbo wrote:

Could be a possibility.
Thanks and yes, did quite a few backups.

Though that problem has stopped occurring in the particular drive, every time I boot the system, CHKDSK runs automatically to scan a logical drive in that particular hard disk.
It reports proper file indexes and no bad sectors.

Do I need to re-format those partitions?

Reformatting the drive post-backups might be a good idea. My friend had a 120GB HDD that went bad. It wouldn't boot, you couldn't get data from it, nothin. SO he said, "here... here's a bad hard drive if you want the magnet (I play with things, what can I say?). I reformatted the HDD and... well, it's the one I am talking to you on right now. That was 7 years ago.
gilwe
Quote:
Hi folks.

The first time, I switched off the system for some time. But later, this problem happened again.
Is this a hard drive problem? or overheating? (The temperatures here are a bit high now, with the summer on since last week)

I tried unplugging the drives to pinpoint the particular one..........but now, the problem has stopped occurring for a while.
Right now, all file contents seem to be OK on my drives.

So any advice regarding this prob?

Thanks in advance.

This means that the hard drive is probably about to fail. From my experience, this can happen also then the hard drive doesn't get enough power, that's probably why you don't encounter the problem when disconnecting the other drives. What happens if you use a more powerful power supply ? Can you try that out and report ?....
prithvi
Thanks for the replies.

It turned out to be a problem with the Y connector cable, after all Mad

The copper in one of the 4 pins had become loose and brittle inside and was losing contact at times with the disk.
The funny thing is while unplugging the cable, the wire was not coming off, so I hadn't bothered to inspect that.

I replugged the particular disk and its working fine now.
redslazers
Download a trial of system mechanic, that solved most of my hard drive troubles. I don't know how but it did