FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Driving while on cell phone.....

sw0277
Should you be able to talk on your cell phone while driving?
SpellcasterDX
Yes but only if you have one of those bluetooth headset things. Otherwise, no. Most people get too distracted by their phone and stop paying attention to their driving. Then when they look up and see it's too late, they...you know the rest. Texting is another big problem. Even worse than calling.
Helios
No, you shouldn't be talking at all!
You can't possibly be focused at 100% on your driving while talking.

A simple experiment can prove this. Try solving a simple math problem while speaking to your friend on the phone, and then without speaking, while another friend is taking time using a stopwatch.
That should demonstrate how the concentration level drops, because you need to focus in order not to make a mistake and solve the problem faster.
Similar to driving where you need to be focused, which will result in correct decisions and fast response.

Keeping eyes on the road is not enough, because the mind has to be on the road as well. I also don't support any kind of music (especially loud) while driving as it can also distract the driver.

Of course, driving should be comfortable and fun, but agree with me that a hospital bed (and food) aren't really comfortable nor fun!
Afaceinthematrix
Helios wrote:

A simple experiment can prove this. Try solving a simple math problem while speaking to your friend on the phone, and then without speaking, while another friend is taking time using a stopwatch.
That should demonstrate how the concentration level drops, because you need to focus in order not to make a mistake and solve the problem faster.
Similar to driving where you need to be focused, which will result in correct decisions and fast response.

Keeping eyes on the road is not enough, because the mind has to be on the road as well. I also don't support any kind of music (especially loud) while driving as it can also distract the driver.

Of course, driving should be comfortable and fun, but agree with me that a hospital bed (and food) aren't really comfortable nor fun!

Well then, according to your logic, radios should be banned as well as passengers. Both cause equal distractions.
Helios
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Helios wrote:

Well then, according to your logic, radios should be banned as well as passengers. Both cause equal distractions.

Maybe not banned, but silent, yes, as much as possible.
I know that this may sound extreme, but if you want maximum safety on the road, that's the way to go.
mwsupra
I think you're ok to do at least one thing at a time. However if you're on the phone, listening to the radio, talking with passengers, and eating a hamburger, you shouldn't do that Razz
Afaceinthematrix
Helios wrote:
I know that this may sound extreme, but if you want maximum safety on the road, that's the way to go.

Well I don't think that's completely practical. Should I pull over to ask the passenger for directions? It may be a little safer, but the key is to just not get into the conversation. Conversations should be casual and radios should just be for a little background noise. I don't play my radio loud anymore after one time where it was too loud to hear a firetruck siren (and I only ended up pulling over when I noticed everyone else was).
Helios
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Helios wrote:

Well I don't think that's completely practical. Should I pull over to ask the passenger for directions? It may be a little safer, but the key is to just not get into the conversation. Conversations should be casual and radios should just be for a little background noise. I don't play my radio loud anymore after one time where it was too loud to hear a firetruck siren (and I only ended up pulling over when I noticed everyone else was).

Well I'm not saying a law should be written to fine every driver who's not a hundred percent concentrated, because it'll be impossible to enforce. Agree with me though, that all of us should at least strive to drive as safely as possible, and to do that we must be concentrated and focused as much as possible.
Afaceinthematrix
Helios wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Helios wrote:

Well I'm not saying a law should be written to fine every driver who's not a hundred percent concentrated, because it'll be impossible to enforce. Agree with me though, that all of us should at least strive to drive as safely as possible, and to do that we must be concentrated and focused as much as possible.

Well I'll agree with you on that, of course. We should all strive to drive as safely as possible. I just don't think that a little background radio or a casual conversation will make too big of a difference in one's driving ability. Emotional conversations should be avoided.

I'll admit that even though cell phone use is prohibited in the car, I'll often make quick phone calls for directions and such.
Nameless
When you're putting other people's lives at risk, obviously not. Using hands free sets equate in danger to the same thing as talking without somebody else in the car (I'd imagine the radio would fall further below that, given it's a one way "conversation", but that would depend on the music/audio levels in question), but there are practical limits to how much you can enforce, and there's always going to be some danger ... The problem right now is more people's careless attitude to driving rather than what specifically is or isn't allowed (every single person who occasionally speeds, drink drives, eats while driving or whatever I'm looking at you).
deanhills
Nameless wrote:
When you're putting other people's lives at risk, obviously not. Using hands free sets equate in danger to the same thing as talking without somebody else in the car (I'd imagine the radio would fall further below that, given it's a one way "conversation", but that would depend on the music/audio levels in question), but there are practical limits to how much you can enforce, and there's always going to be some danger ... The problem right now is more people's careless attitude to driving rather than what specifically is or isn't allowed (every single person who occasionally speeds, drink drives, eats while driving or whatever I'm looking at you).

All good points. Where do you draw the line from an enforcement point of view? Your intelligent person would know not to have an emotional conversation on a cell phone, but what about quite a large number of people who get completely carried away on mobile phones. How are we to know the difference? I think in the interest of road safety that mobile phones should be completely banned. Loud music should be banned as well. Also in the interest of safety as obviously it would be important to register emergency vehicles and one can't hear properly, or perhaps even concentrate properly when there is loud reverberating music pulsing away in the car.
Arty
I've heard that driving while texting / talking on the cell is as bad as driving drunk. =P
SpellcasterDX
Arty wrote:
I've heard that driving while texting / talking on the cell is as bad as driving drunk. =P
That one's pretty obvious. Wink
But yes, Helios seems to be a bit extreme. lol. Razz
Having a casual/non-emotional conversation should be fine. As long as you keep your eyes on the road and pay a little more attention to your driving than to the conversation. Also the radio should be okay as long as it's not excessively loud. (All in my opinion of course)
speeDemon
If you are even looking at the road all the time, well, thats quite enough according to me..

I mean, even if you are using a phone, listening to radio, having a conversation, if you continue to look at the road, then the chances of meeting an accident are quite less.

And ya, well many times passangers can be helpful to stop an accident from happening... because they arfe usually looking at the road even more than the driver, they usually tebd to see cars goin far off, while the driver concentrates on the ones close by...,

A passanger can always advice the driver not to overtake a car, if he has already seen a on coming car some time ago..

But any way, all i'm saying is stick your eyes to the road... that should do it...
speeDemon
deanhills wrote:
Nameless wrote:

All good points. Where do you draw the line from an enforcement point of view? Your intelligent person would know not to have an emotional conversation on a cell phone, but what about quite a large number of people who get completely carried away on mobile phones. How are we to know the difference? I think in the interest of road safety that mobile phones should be completely banned. Loud music should be banned as well. Also in the interest of safety as obviously it would be important to register emergency vehicles and one can't hear properly, or perhaps even concentrate properly when there is loud reverberating music pulsing away in the car.

Well, then radios should not be put inside cars anyway...... and I cant live without one!
spring567
of course , I can .
andredesignz
well yes you can but for some people its not safe
Donutey
Only hands-free. The combination of the lack of use of one hand, and the distraction of the conversation are too great. About half the time someone does something stupid in a car, that I see, they're talking on a phone with one hand on the steering wheel.
seannie
i do it all the time and i think having a hands free should be far more better than holding the phone up and steering with one hand.
Afaceinthematrix
seannie wrote:
i do it all the time and i think having a hands free should be far more better than holding the phone up and steering with one hand.

I really don't think that the main problem is driving with two hands. I have never driven with two hands. I have always used one hand. That doesn't affect my driving ability because I can just as easily turn with one hand as I can with two hands. The major problem seems to be people that get so in to their convos that they forget they're driving.
SpellcasterDX
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
seannie wrote:

I really don't think that the main problem is driving with two hands. I have never driven with two hands. I have always used one hand. That doesn't affect my driving ability because I can just as easily turn with one hand as I can with two hands. The major problem seems to be people that get so in to their convos that they forget they're driving.
Ha. My dad does that sometimes. We make sure he pays attention though.
deanhills
How about driving and eating? I.e. someone having their hamburger and coke, and maybe messing the coke all over. I would say that something like that could distract a person even more than a mobile phone at times. Especially if it is on your way to work, and you have messed a piece of oily something on trousers right towards the bottom of them. Smile
airh3ad
We know when we are driving is probably the riskiest activity any of us will do during our daily lives. At the same time it is probably the easiest thing to do that you could get distracted from. We have all seen that person who is driving down the road reading a book, putting on makeup, or talking on a cellphone. It has been estimated that 1 of every 8 crashes each day is caused by distracted driving.

As you may or may not have heard starting i mean using mobile phones, talking on a hand-held cell phone while driving will be illegal without a headset or hands-free device. You won't be pulled over solely because you are driving while talking on a cell phone, but you can be pulled over if you are swerving or speeding. (its the same for texting while driving).

You can still use your cell phone if you talk using hands-free device such as a Bluetooth or wired headset. we have to make safe while we are driving the car life is beautiful remeber.
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
How about driving and eating? I.e. someone having their hamburger and coke, and maybe messing the coke all over. I would say that something like that could distract a person even more than a mobile phone at times. Especially if it is on your way to work, and you have messed a piece of oily something on trousers right towards the bottom of them. :)

That's a lot worse than talking on a phone. I will argue for hours that having a light and casual conversation on a phone isn't that dangerous, but eating is dangerous. That should have been banned over cell phone use. I've never done a dangerous maneuver because I'm talking on the phone, but I've done plenty of dangerous maneuvers because both of my hands are being used to eat and I'm steering with my knee... It's even worse if the car doesn't have an automatic transmission.
jessicawalker
I think talking with a headset is fine, but when people text while they're driving, it's infuriating to me. When you're taking your eyes off of the road for a second or two at a time regularly and are distracted by spelling words out or contemplating your reply... It's crazy how dangerous texting while driving is. It lowers your reaction speed so much. I don't care how confidant you are in your multitasking skills.
supernova1987a
TO EVERYONE WHO THINKS ITS FINE:

I WAS TALKING TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE AND DIDNT KNOW SHE WAS DRIVING AND THEN HELL! SHE GOT IN AN ACCIDENT! SHE HUNG UP!

IT IS NOT FINE DRIVING AND TALKING ON THE PHONE!! DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE OVER A PHONE CALL! DO NOT BE so CONFIDENT that you can talk on the phone while driving.

I think a law should be passed against talking while driving.
deanhills
supernova1987a wrote:
TO EVERYONE WHO THINKS ITS FINE:

I WAS TALKING TO SOMEONE ON THE PHONE AND DIDNT KNOW SHE WAS DRIVING AND THEN HELL! SHE GOT IN AN ACCIDENT! SHE HUNG UP!

IT IS NOT FINE DRIVING AND TALKING ON THE PHONE!! DO NOT RISK YOUR LIFE OVER A PHONE CALL! DO NOT BE so CONFIDENT that you can talk on the phone while driving.

I think a law should be passed against talking while driving.

I can understand your fright. Something like this tend to happen in a split second. I believe that some people are OK with doing both, but others aren't, and I guess for the sake of the many who aren't and tend to get carried away with intense conversations, or get distracted, that there should be one rule for both. I have seen it so many times on the high-way. Just looking down the lanes, you can actually notice a driver using a mobile phone just by the way they veer to the side of the lane, and sometimes even outside the lane. When you pass them, you see them deep into their conversation on the mobile.
malcolmpreen
It is against the law in the UK.... Having said that.... it doesn't stop people from doing it....

Personally I have a blue tooth - but if I get a call, I will pull over as soon as it is safe as I don't like to drive and talk on the phone - somehow, it feels more dangerous talking to someone you cannot see that talking to someone else who is in the car.

Malcolm
Triple_7
Just about everyone that owns a cell phone is guilty of driving while talking. I try not to, I have it set for automatic speaker phone when I'm driving...I don't feel distracted by it at all and keep eyes on the road. Traffic gets a little heavy (which in this area is a rarity) I just tell them I will call back later if in conversation and it automatically hangs up when they do....or don't answer it when it rings. A few weeks ago when I was in Kansas and Oklahoma I came up to a sign on an interstate that said no cell phones...first time I had ever seen that before. I was somewhere just outside of Tulsa at that moment. But I can see why, quite a busy area with a ton of traffic which was already confusing enough for someone like me that's not used to that.

As far as having both hands on the wheel being a major thing. Its not...none of the people I know drive with both hands. I never have, didn't even keep both hands on the wheel during my driving test a few years ago and not one word was said about it. Its uncomfortable and not that practical. Always drive with my left and keep the right free. A lot of it was brought on by growing up driving a lot of tractors and right hand was generally for shifting gears and controlling levers. Only time I use my right hand to steer is when I'm backing up or making sharp turns. For some reason I never use my left while in reverse. Confused

Radio...not a big deal as long as your not constantly switching stations or tracks on a CD. I've seen a few newer vehicles that have the buttons for all that right there on the steering wheel which would be a great feature. Volume, just so its not earth shattering I don't see a problem with it. I can't stand people driving around with the bass loud enough to rattle the house windows though. But when it comes to emergency vehicles you wont always hear them anyways. There's newer cars that are advertised for their interior environment, and how quiet it is. Road noise and traffic around you blocks much of it out unless they are really close. Around here there are a lot of silent (lights only) runs. At night you can see them coming from a mile away. During the day they can pop out of anywhere. Siren or not they are required to stop at all stop signs and lights...if its a 4-way stop they must at least slow down to a crawl till they see its clear. I tend to scan the mirrors while I'm driving...always like to know whats behind me as well as in front. But if an emergency vehicle blows a stop sign on a light only run and hits someone it is seen as their fault. They still have to adhere to regular traffic rules for the most part, they are just allowed to speed and go around people as long as its not a danger to others. But as a courtesy you should always pull over if an emergency vehicle is approaching with its lights on.

Eating...unless its something that blocks your view or could possibly need 2 hands then I don't see a problem with it. I tend to munch on french fries, chips, cookies while going down the road, just make sure they are easy to reach for before I take off down the road.

This new found problem of people texting while driving...that is the one thing that I do not approve of under any circumstances. There are a lot of wrecks lately that have been caused by someone trying to type a text message. And not all of them are teenagers...there have been a couple that were 30-40 year old people to blame. Its just as bad as someone reading a book/paper or a women doing her makeup while going 60mph down the road. Those are the real dangerous distractions that require way more attention then just talking out loud or a phone up to your ear. Confused
jsfdan
My answer is simple... NO.
These days you can get distracted real easy and the phone makes it easier.
guru09
Driving while holding a cell phone is not a good thing to do. The brain of a human can't really do "simultaneously" all at one time. Your basically putting a lot of stress on the brain, thus can cause medical issues. Whenever I get a phone call, I just pull over and answer my phone.
AleSSiiOo
Yes, its so easy just concentrate and speak
Crazy_Canuck
I only talk on the cell phone using a headset, but being hands-free isn't any safer.

I've seen studies where they have conclusively demonstrated up to six times greater distraction while driving and talking on a cell phone, compared to driving without talking on the cell phone. It is equivalent to a 0.10 blood alcohol level which here in Canada is past the legal limit.

That said, I confess that I do cell and drive. I've even been know to read email messages on my bberry and drive. I think we have an illusion that even though we know we are distracted, we think it's only for a second and we can get away with it. But it only takes a second for something to go tragically wrong.

Even typing this, I'm now going to vow never to text and drive again. Just too dangerous.
Insanity
Talking on a cell phone and driving seems dangerous enough for me. I agree, and I don't think that having two hands on the wheel is that much safer, as opposed to not talking on the phone at all. Still, I suppose it's a first step and it's important that if you talk at least you have more stability and control over your vehicle. That being said, I don't know why people even text and drive. Unlike talking, you actually need to have eyes on your phone and the road at the same time in order to text. How is that even remotely possible? You have to basically stare at the phone while simultaneously be on the lookout on the road. It's just asking for an accident. There shouldn't even have to be a law against this, it's common sense.
lantyne
NO. even if you got bluetooth or earphones . most accident acurred is a 95 % human error . alltough i admire human minds , i dont believe they can do 2 jobs at once . one or another job will get screwed . never do that unless u can be certain the road up ahead will be empty
invizibility
jsfdan wrote:
My answer is simple... NO.
These days you can get distracted real easy and the phone makes it easier.

I'll have to agree with this. I've been distracted many times while on a headset. I just stop talkin and focus on the turns and then get back to talkin but that doesnt happen most of the time.

I vote nay! Smile

I
biljap
No, I wouldn’t like to try that because I know that while I walk on the street and talking on cell phone, if that conversation lasts for a while, I concentrate on it and stop walking the way I should – I stop, I don’t go in a straight line… Imagine what would happen if I was driving… So, no thanks. I always turn off my sound so that I can’t hear if somebody is calling. Whatever it is it can wait that long until I stop the car. Wink
Tphilakone
I think its depend situation . If you have a important work you can talking while driving .
Dean_The_Great
I think you should be able to use a hands free device to talk while driving, as that would really be no different than talking to the person sitting in the passenger seat!
evilgeniuself
It is best to not talk while you drive, just for safety issues. Of course, a lot of times (this happens to me at least once a week) people will try to contact while driving, and they will get mad if the phone is not picked up. I end up just ignoring them, and then call them back when I get a chance. Anyways, this makes picking up the phone rather tempting, yet I still say to just not talk while driving....
Hands free devices can be a little annoying, and are almost more of a distraction with all those wires floating around, which makes those not a good idea either.
chatrack
sw0277 wrote:

I dont like talking in mobile while driving. So in some case I use speaker phone.
Denvis
Well, today I actually went to something called 'Crossroad program'. It shows you the consiquences of driving while having drugs or alcohol in your system and/or having any distractions eg. phones/ipod/eating. They had guest speakers whom survived car crashes, many lessons were learnt.

In my country, I believe it is against the law to drive and using your phone. Some people find this stupid but accidents happen and not using phones is a good way to prevent accidents. Personally, I don't drive but you should never be using a phone or have any distractions when driving.
standready
Not really a good idea even with a hands-free device. I am quilty of driving while on my cell phone. I try to avoid it if possible. Concentrating on driving and what someone is saying directly into your ears is very much a distraction. I usually ask them to hold while I find a place to pull off the road.
Radio is backround noise and not something you need to reply too.
guissmo
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Arty wrote:
That one's pretty obvious. Wink
But yes, Helios seems to be a bit extreme. lol. Razz
Having a casual/non-emotional conversation should be fine. As long as you keep your eyes on the road and pay a little more attention to your driving than to the conversation. Also the radio should be okay as long as it's not excessively loud. (All in my opinion of course)

I try to avoid that since I usually feel guilty for not listening well enough to the other party, even though it's a very casual conversation.

But yeah, stuff like those shouldn't be banned, what the others are talking about just more like a reminder to take extra caution especially when doing these potentially distracting things.
Alaskacameradude
I say we have too many accidents as it is. I vote no talking on the cell phone unless you have one
of those wireless headset things where you don't have to take your eyes off the road at all.
And recently it has come to light that some people TEXT while driving. No wonder so many
people are killed in car accidents......sheesh people when you are driving, pay attention to DRIVING!
carlospro7
It is pretty dangerous to talk on your phone and drive. I've done it, but if I do, it's not on the highway. I was thinking of getting one of those hand free devices, blue tooth or other technologies.
Insanity
I agree with everyone else, that it is dangerous no matter what kind of hands-free device you are using as well. The problem is of course, with having to talk to someone and drive at the same time. These things will take up your attention and divide what should be undivided. Your main attention should be on the road. But then again, you could make the same case for people in the car. There is no law for talking with people in the car, and that could get pretty distracting as well.

However, I think there could be a line drawn between where you are driving, how fast you are driving, and what type of conversation you are holding at the time. Obviously, if you are driving in rush hour traffic where it's mostly stop and go, it should be alright to hold a cell phone conversation. However, if you're driving fast on the freeway, having a very engaging call would be especially detrimental to your driving skills and the safety of others around you. These calls should be put on hold until later. I will admit that these rules are impossible to enforce, and if we just leave it up to the judgment of the average citizen, there might still be plenty of accidents.
malcolmpreen
Personally, I don't like mobiles.... but I have two... one for work, and one personal.

My work one is bluetooth connected... and I am OK with using this "for very short calls" whilst driving. I am well aware that my concentration is somewhat affected... and I often ask people to wait whilst I pull over before continuing the conversation. If this is not possible, I will tell them I will call back later, when it is convenient.

Certainly... I am MUCH less worried about using the phone when queuing in a traffic jam... as opposed to driving at normal speeds....

In the UK it is against the law.... but it is an almost unenforceable law... which makes it more or less useless.... IMHO.

Malcolm
ankitdatashn
carlospro7 wrote:
It is pretty dangerous to talk on your phone and drive. I've done it, but if I do, it's not on the highway. I was thinking of getting one of those hand free devices, blue tooth or other technologies.

agreed to some extent, infact I would say driving with cellphone anywhere is dangerous, On highway it might be more dangerous to ourselves but in the city other people who are walking are on a more dangerous stake.

Also please drive with safetybelts if by car otherwise helmets if travelling by motorbike...

Be safe then being sorry!
Auctus
Triple_7 wrote:
There are a lot of wrecks lately that have been caused by someone trying to type a text message. And not all of them are teenagers...there have been a couple that were 30-40 year old people to blame. Confused

Yeah. Talking on a cellphone certainly takes your focus from driving, but then again, if you're not on a cellphone, are you really 100% focused on driving? Probably not. Anyway, people talking on phones can still drive.

PEOPLE READING TEXT ON A PHONE CANNOT. A 1.5 second lapse in eye-contact with the road and you could cause death. It shouldn't just be illegal, it should be severely punished.
ShareVok
I would be able to drive but not for 100% and it's saftier for all, btw. it's more comfortable to speak oer an hands-free-phone. Smile
TurtleShell
This is illegal where I live. I think it should be illegal most places... although I think they make an exception for people who have bluetooth?
seanooi
I would say no. No one should be allowed to be talking on the phone while driving, not even if they're using hands free devices. When you're driving, you should only focus on the road and not anything else as it is dangerous, especially when there are others in the car with you. Phone calls can wait, but your life can't.
TurtleShell
I'm on the fence about the hands free devices. Ont he one hand, I think there is some potential for disaster...what if it falls out of your ear? then you're bending over to pick it up and...

ont he other hand, i don't think there's any danger in the actual talking part. It should be no more of a distraction than talking to the person in the passenger's seat.
guth75
I say no. You will get distracted anyway, even if you have bluetooth headset. I just say no. I would rather be save then sorry.
jocaboca
sw0277 wrote:

i hope they ban it.
ProfessorY91
Driving while talking on cell phones should be testable. If a driver feels confident in risking his or her own life to talk on a cell phone, there should at least be a minimum level of experience. This is something that should be one of the "endorsements" on the state licenses that they give out in the US nowadays. The driving instructor should be able to determine based on the confidence and multitasking ability of the person involved, whether or not they should be allowed to talk on a cell phone while driving. If not, then the person's car's license plate should be fitted with a device to scramble cellphone reception. It should also cause fines to triple in the event of an accident that is determined to have been caused by use of an electronic device.

I'm sure you'll all agree that there are a ton of variables at play here, but also agree that a better level of control is needed than the system we have in place now.

The Professor.
kriszara
I live in California and here it is illegal unless you have a hands-free device. I think it's ok, if you are an experienced enough driver to handle it. If you are an inexperienced driver or are driving somewhere you don't know well you should minimize your distractions.
paskifire
yeah it's a very dangerous thing to do while driving. But for me Texting while driving is more dangerous than talking while driving Very Happy Concentration is a major requirement in driving. I believe that concentration is a must to avoid traffic related accidents.