FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Own Forum Software

JorgeArroyo
I'm currently coding my own forum software. I need ideas.

These are some features I have in mind:

- Friends system (like vBulletin's)
- Instant Messaging (you know, like MSN)
- vBulletin-like reputation system.
- Ability to create your own MySpace-like profile.
- Users can have their own photo albums.
- User Groups system.
- Gaming clans system.

So, what else should I put?
Jaan
Instead of buying into the whole web 2.0 'friends, photos, etc etc' try to integrate as much as possible (if it is?) like flickr, facebook, etc etc... and just try to make the forum and posting system as streamlined and as fast as possible. Even if it's a really simple forum, if it's fast, people will go crazy for it.

Cheers
JorgeArroyo
Jaan wrote:
Instead of buying into the whole web 2.0 'friends, photos, etc etc' try to integrate as much as possible (if it is?) like flickr, facebook, etc etc... and just try to make the forum and posting system as streamlined and as fast as possible. Even if it's a really simple forum, if it's fast, people will go crazy for it.

Cheers

Ah, okay. I just want to make a good and popular forum with my own software, and if that succeeds, I will let other people use the software (a hosting system).
jsfdan
The golden rule of creating scripts.... "be simple". Don't go complex, you shouldn't be rubbing you're head confusing yourself. Do what you know.

Remember, the style of your program also attracts the public eye. If you make it crappy, you won't gather as much viewers. If you make it simple or stylish, you'll do well.
escritor
A good forum should support:

I agree with the previous comments about keeping it simple. Try to connect to popular, huge third-party services instead of developing your own version of each thing, like the photo albums you mentioned. Smile

I've been browsing support forums of different bulletin board software and most of them don't care a lot about things like OpenID. If you just make something that works well, it'll suceed.
Daniel15
Like others have said, try to keep it simple. For the non-core features (Instant Messaging, etc), make them separate modules, instead of being directly integrated into the core. This helps keep the code clean Smile.
Perhaps even have two version of your system - a "light" one, and a "heavy" one. The light one with nothing additional installed by default, and the heavy one with all the addons (IM, etc).
adri
Daniel15 wrote:
Like others have said, try to keep it simple. For the non-core features (Instant Messaging, etc), make them separate modules, instead of being directly integrated into the core. This helps keep the code clean Smile.
Perhaps even have two version of your system - a "light" one, and a "heavy" one. The light one with nothing additional installed by default, and the heavy one with all the addons (IM, etc).

What he said, begin simple and add "Modifications" to it. Just start with a forum where you can add categories, forums, post topics, reply,... the really basic thing and then start with advanced permissions and a pretty lay-out.

Adri
nivinjoy
The main thing should be it must be able to control or prevent spammers...!!
snowboardalliance
adri wrote:
Daniel15 wrote:

What he said, begin simple and add "Modifications" to it. Just start with a forum where you can add categories, forums, post topics, reply,... the really basic thing and then start with advanced permissions and a pretty lay-out.

Adri

I'd agree with the iterative development process. Start small.

Also, is this a forum for yourself? Or are you making the source available for others to use too?
ProfessorY91
Most of the replies above deal with the logistics and structural issues of your forum software. I specialize in web development, and you're definitely going to need some front end coding that is compatible with whatever program you write. The point of a forum, after all, is to bring people on multiple machines together. One of the easiest ways to do this is to create an IRC channel, or run your program off of a server. If you want to get a little more complicated, or are intending to run your software remotely... see phpBB. It runs frihost, and many other forums besides.