FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Virtual vs Reality





apple
I have met quite a number of people who seem not to be able to tell the two apart anymore.

Tho I am also guilty of having been obsessed with virtual life, I must ask where is the line drawn in games like Second Life?
When virtual take priority over real life how does a person who has become obsessed get out?

Is it that the hardships and issues of real life force people to delve into the virtual?
Idoru
Based on human needs, the only physical ones are sleep and food. Ofcourse, going to the toilet, work out some,
etc can be sorted to needs aswell, but I was thinking of Maslow, and his stairs of needs. The rest are in a way more
abstract, and nothing says you can't reach them in a virtual life. But, that's just kind of an absurd reflection,
though interesting.

Anyhow, our society is also based on a certain kind of economy and social/moral rules. Those also has to be
reached. But after that, even if it seem strange for some, it's up to each and every one of us to spend what time
we like in virtual lives. Sure, there can be problems if they get mixed up, but that would also mean that the economic,
social or moral codes aren't fullfilled. See where I'm pointing?

I say, one doesn't have to get out. One just have to get the prioroties sorted and be sure of what satisfiy them.
May seem cynical, but then again, a big part of the worlds population spend all of their lives in poverty, war
and other realities witch I would never be able to grasp.
Josso
Not actually being able to distinguish between real life and virtual worlds sounds like a problem caused by mental health issues but drifting away into computer games and computer-related activities is not too uncommon and I've been subject to it myself back in the days. After a while of constantly being on a computer the real world does seem less clear and a bit odd, I can relate to this.

I think computer games have got to a stage (and have been there for quite a while) where they are at such a quality and complexity that they can become addictive. Not literally addictive but mentally you may feel the need to escape something in real life via playing the game, I'm pretty sure that's what I did for a number of years - school being the shithole that it was I played halo all my waking hours accompanied by cups of tea and snacks. It was pretty good I must admit but in realism I think I was probably wasting my life away.

You may want to check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Woolley
(Yes the article is a little dodgy in terms of sources but you can get the idea of it)

Everquest and various RPGs and MMORPGs (I would say Diablo II personally) have quite an addictive quality to them. I never started EQ due to the fact that I was at a point where I knew I would get highly addicted to it and waste away slowly.

This issue highlighted here USUALLY isn't a serious one unless mixed in with mental problems but I've seen it affect peoples lives in pretty negative ways, luckily I grew out of it. I've gone off on one now sorry but yeah that's my 2 cents.
ocalhoun
If people enjoy a virtual life more than their real one, why not let them give priority to the virtual life?

You could say they are wasting their life away to no purpose, but don't the vast majority of people do that anyway? At least they can find the most enjoyment possible for them while doing so.
apple
Idoru...I do understand what you said...

Quote:
One just have to get the prioroties sorted and be sure of what satisfiy them.


this is what I am getting at, those who cannot sort priorities. What happens then? Do we as loved ones, friends or onlookers just leave them?


Josso...it may be a mental health issue. As I asked above....what do we do?


ocalhoun...should people be allowed to give priority to the virtual when their kids stay hungry and their house is filthy? When they reach to work late and can't perform cause they been up all night 'gaming'?

My main reason for asking this is I have quite a number of friends who seem not able to tell the difference, they are caught in the virtual as tho they were in the matrix.
TurtleShell
If your friends have children, then their entertainment and definitely their addictions should not come before their responsibility to their dependents. If their preference is to live a life of filth and solitude so that they can stay up gaming, then they should not have children. If they already do, then their commitment to their children automatically overrides that. It's tough, but that's sacrifice. Gaming every once in a while shouldn't be a problem, and it shouldn't interfere with their ability to hold down a job and take care of their kids. If it does, then they have to stop.

I have a kid. I've given up loads of my own free time and stuff I like to do just so I can be a half way decent parent for her. I still do things for myself from time to time, but as a parent I've had to cut back on that. But, it was my choice and I knew it would be like that when I got myself into this. That's called being an adult.

if they don't have those kinds of responsibilities, then I guess I'm with Ocalhoun. That's their choice. As long as I don't have to pay for them to live on welfare or something, well, whatever.
Idoru
apple wrote:
Idoru...I do understand what you said...

Quote:
One just have to get the prioroties sorted and be sure of what satisfiy them.


this is what I am getting at, those who cannot sort priorities. What happens then? Do we as loved ones, friends or onlookers just leave them?


Not to confused, then Surprised)
Well, here we have the same problem as with all addicts. To break the addiction we have to step in and sort the
priorities for them. Sometimes it even takes force in the beginning. It's important though, that when enough
clarity is reached for the addicted to see what he/she is choosing, to not deprive them of the choise. Even a
bad one is one we all have right to take, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
ocalhoun
apple wrote:

ocalhoun...should people be allowed to give priority to the virtual when their kids stay hungry and their house is filthy? When they reach to work late and can't perform cause they been up all night 'gaming'?

Yes they should be allowed. And then they should be held accountable for the consequences.
If they can't care for their children, the children can be taken away. If their house is filthy, so what? When they fail at work they should be fired.

The choice may be very detrimental to their real lives, but they should be allowed to ruin their real lives that way if they choose to.
TurtleShell
ocalhoun wrote:
apple wrote:

ocalhoun...should people be allowed to give priority to the virtual when their kids stay hungry and their house is filthy? When they reach to work late and can't perform cause they been up all night 'gaming'?

Yes they should be allowed. And then they should be held accountable for the consequences.
If they can't care for their children, the children can be taken away. If their house is filthy, so what? When they fail at work they should be fired.

The choice may be very detrimental to their real lives, but they should be allowed to ruin their real lives that way if they choose to.


This is where it gets complicated, because if someone wants to throw their lives away gaming or drinking or gambling or whatever, no one can really stop them. No adult is going to hold them down, monitor their every move, and kick them back into shape. So you say, "they should be allowed to ruin their own lives if that's what they want", I guess technically that's true, but only because there's no other option. But their kids should be removed and given to people who will take care of them. There's just no freaking excuse for that kind of behavior, addiction or not. If you're sick, you should get help. If you don't, your kids should be taken away. And what's sad is the number of adults out there who are sick, who have kids and who will not face consequences. So their kids are going to grow up to be weaker people for it.
apple
TurtleShell wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
apple wrote:

ocalhoun...should people be allowed to give priority to the virtual when their kids stay hungry and their house is filthy? When they reach to work late and can't perform cause they been up all night 'gaming'?

Yes they should be allowed. And then they should be held accountable for the consequences.
If they can't care for their children, the children can be taken away. If their house is filthy, so what? When they fail at work they should be fired.

The choice may be very detrimental to their real lives, but they should be allowed to ruin their real lives that way if they choose to.


This is where it gets complicated, because if someone wants to throw their lives away gaming or drinking or gambling or whatever, no one can really stop them. No adult is going to hold them down, monitor their every move, and kick them back into shape. So you say, "they should be allowed to ruin their own lives if that's what they want", I guess technically that's true, but only because there's no other option. But their kids should be removed and given to people who will take care of them. There's just no freaking excuse for that kind of behavior, addiction or not. If you're sick, you should get help. If you don't, your kids should be taken away. And what's sad is the number of adults out there who are sick, who have kids and who will not face consequences. So their kids are going to grow up to be weaker people for it.


TurtleShell...this is what I mean. I am all for making your own choices and living with your consequences etc etc...thing is my friends don't think anything is wrong. In their eyes they doing nothing wrong. Their kids are great, beautiful smart kids. Yet they are subject to such living conditions....
Jaan
It's really hard to get out unless you have razor sharp focus and lots of motivation. I end up browsing the web endlessly with zero productivity, it feels terrible. I've been doing it for a good two years now, ever since 24mbps ADSL2+ lol! I'm trying to get over it by limiting email and computer time to morning and evening only after I've done all my other work. Hard plan to stick to for sure!
apple
Jaan wrote:
It's really hard to get out unless you have razor sharp focus and lots of motivation. I end up browsing the web endlessly with zero productivity, it feels terrible. I've been doing it for a good two years now, ever since 24mbps ADSL2+ lol! I'm trying to get over it by limiting email and computer time to morning and evening only after I've done all my other work. Hard plan to stick to for sure!


confession is the 1st step.... Laughing Laughing

at least you know you're addicted. my friends seem to be sooooooo into it that they sometimes don't know the kids are calling or the phones ringing.
eday2010
ocalhoun wrote:
Yes they should be allowed. And then they should be held accountable for the consequences.
If they can't care for their children, the children can be taken away. If their house is filthy, so what? When they fail at work they should be fired.

The choice may be very detrimental to their real lives, but they should be allowed to ruin their real lives that way if they choose to.


But while they ruin their real lives, they are also ruining the lives of their family. Getting fired causes problems for the whole family. If the person is single, fine. But if they are married with a family and children, that's a different story. The children shouldn't be put through the trauma of being taken away because some idiot can't ration themselves from computer games. When their addiction starts ruining the lives of others, that is where the line is drawn. You may see it differently with your flippant attitude, when when someone's actions start affecting others, it is no longer just their business anymore.
apple
eday2010 wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Yes they should be allowed. And then they should be held accountable for the consequences.
If they can't care for their children, the children can be taken away. If their house is filthy, so what? When they fail at work they should be fired.

The choice may be very detrimental to their real lives, but they should be allowed to ruin their real lives that way if they choose to.


But while they ruin their real lives, they are also ruining the lives of their family. Getting fired causes problems for the whole family. If the person is single, fine. But if they are married with a family and children, that's a different story. The children shouldn't be put through the trauma of being taken away because some idiot can't ration themselves from computer games. When their addiction starts ruining the lives of others, that is where the line is drawn. You may see it differently with your flippant attitude, when when someone's actions start affecting others, it is no longer just their business anymore.


this is the exact reason I started this topic, I am hoping someone posts something that I can use to reach them.
ocalhoun
eday2010 wrote:
when when someone's actions start affecting others, it is no longer just their business anymore.


True, but you can't and shouldn't force people to be responsible. If that person cares so little about his or her family, then he or she shouldn't have started a family to begin with, and soon enough he or she won't have a family anymore.

You can punish someone for actions that harm others, but I think that in most cases you should not punish someone for inaction that harms others.
apple
ocalhoun wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
when when someone's actions start affecting others, it is no longer just their business anymore.


True, but you can't and shouldn't force people to be responsible. If that person cares so little about his or her family, then he or she shouldn't have started a family to begin with, and soon enough he or she won't have a family anymore.

You can punish someone for actions that harm others, but I think that in most cases you should not punish someone for inaction that harms others.


how can I just stand around and watch it go to hell? I mean if they are without internet they are depressed beyond reason. I know them very very well and I know they are unhappy with each other (the parents) yet they stay together so the kids can have an 'image' of family....but at what costs?
apple
ocalhoun wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
when when someone's actions start affecting others, it is no longer just their business anymore.


True, but you can't and shouldn't force people to be responsible. If that person cares so little about his or her family, then he or she shouldn't have started a family to begin with, and soon enough he or she won't have a family anymore.

You can punish someone for actions that harm others, but I think that in most cases you should not punish someone for inaction that harms others.


how can I just stand around and watch it go to hell? I mean if they are without internet they are depressed beyond reason. I know them very very well and I know they are unhappy with each other (the parents) yet they stay together so the kids can have an 'image' of family....but at what costs?
ocalhoun
apple wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
when when someone's actions start affecting others, it is no longer just their business anymore.


True, but you can't and shouldn't force people to be responsible. If that person cares so little about his or her family, then he or she shouldn't have started a family to begin with, and soon enough he or she won't have a family anymore.

You can punish someone for actions that harm others, but I think that in most cases you should not punish someone for inaction that harms others.


how can I just stand around and watch it go to hell? I mean if they are without internet they are depressed beyond reason. I know them very very well and I know they are unhappy with each other (the parents) yet they stay together so the kids can have an 'image' of family....but at what costs?

Making yourself miserable for the benefit of others is a noble thing to do, but I don't think anyone should be forced to do so.

Would you give up what you enjoy the most in order to make your family happier? Some people would. Personally, if I had to give up what I enjoyed the most, I'd kill myself promptly.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Would you give up what you enjoy the most in order to make your family happier? Some people would. Personally, if I had to give up what I enjoyed the most, I'd kill myself promptly.

I think people that tend to make sacrifices like that, build grievances in themselves, and sooner or later something gives. They start to drink more or become alcoholics, or they just start to get unhappy and when you ask them what gives, go into denial, and they make those people who they make the sacrifices for guilty and resentful, making for an all over unhappy family.
Bluedoll
I do hope this is useful although it may seem absurd, I just have a different perspective on this topic.

I can not come to define "virtual" life as separate from "real" life. Why should it be defined that way? Real people are involved and they have interaction with other real people so I don’t think there should be a separation between the two when it comes to “telling the two apart.” This definition however is only concerning itself with the relationship part of online life.

People in real life do have a closer physical relationship however online relationships can and do exist as well and can be stronger ones. If a person wants or needs to be away from computers then relationships might have to change or develop to accommodate that.

Obsession with something and addiction is a very real thing. Those vises exist everywhere. So do priorities. My point, and this of course is debatable, is I believe less focus on this problem should be given to the computer part and more to the actual reasons.

People develop obsessions, avoidance of responsibilities, addictions because there is a problem. The problem needs to be looked at. The online existence is a side affect not the problem. The problem causes the amount of computer time spent and not the other way around. Virtual life is simply filling a need.

Yes, life spent on a computer can be an issue in many peoples life’s but an issue can also exist as well with an obsession to reading addictive books or coffee or it could for be hard drugs and corruptness.

I suppose we all have to find good reasons in doing something and if that something we want to do is enjoyable, becomes our passion and has great rewards attached to it then all the better for everyone concerned.

Perhaps your friend could use a cleaner house, enjoy their life more with their children, have people over more frequently to share it with, get out more or just have a goal in mind that fulfills some need they have? Not easy to achieve though is it? Maybe, they help with that.
Crinoid
Quote:
When virtual take priority over real life how does a person who has become obsessed get out?
Is it that the hardships and issues of real life force people to delve into the virtual?


In real life, when there are more and more people on the Earth with limited resources, miniaturization replaces the real life: books, then virtual reality. If in real reality ( Laughing ) possibilities and options are very limited and are frequently not a matter of choice, the virtual reality (in wide meaning, books, opium dens and prolonged sleeping included) is much more interesting, rich, offers a lot of possibilities. Actually, many interesting successful lives during one not so good life time.

As for hardships that force - quite opposite. People quit virtual reality after hardship hits: no computer, no internet, no books (and so on) - no virtual reality. During hardship one can't even sleep the life to the end - no conditions for that.

Boredom and lack of better in real life - that I could believe in.

How to quit? Self control and understanding of consequences - or hardship, spontaneous or induced.
apple
Thank you guys for all the responses, I am very saddened by this and it seems as tho my friends are not willing to reason about this. So I guess I am to leave them alone Crying or Very sad
peyote
Yea good question, but dont know nothing sorry...bout that.
apple
peyote wrote:
Yea good question, but dont know nothing sorry...bout that.


no problem, at least you took the time to read and respond.

again to all those who took the time out to respond, I have decided to give my friend a talking to soon. I hope it goes well.
Zombie
I CAN easily tell the two apart. But, most of the time virtualily is more fun than reality Shocked
apple
Zombie wrote:
I CAN easily tell the two apart. But, most of the time virtualily is more fun than reality Shocked


lol...you are very correct there. Virtual is more fun than reality.




--------

well I spoke to my friend and she was not happy with me suggesting that she take time to clean up and stuff. Crying or Very sad
hofodomo01
HamsterMan
I'll admit that my virtual life definitely has priority over my non virtual one. But that's not a bad thing. Since the years I've had easy access to internet I've learned so much, created so much and made so many friends. Much of the stuff I've learned I've been able to put into practice at work or school as well. So prioritizing your virtual life isn't necessarily worse.
apple
HamsterMan wrote:
I'll admit that my virtual life definitely has priority over my non virtual one. But that's not a bad thing. Since the years I've had easy access to internet I've learned so much, created so much and made so many friends. Much of the stuff I've learned I've been able to put into practice at work or school as well. So prioritizing your virtual life isn't necessarily worse.


Virtual is not a bad thing, I think that when anything comes in the way of taking care of ones responsibilities it should be reviewed tho. When you are late for work cause you have been up all night gaming....when your kids don't get meals on time and when they do its not enough....when your won physical and mental health is in decline...those are some of the times I think a person should stop and check themselves.
goutha
For me, nothing can replace what's real. Virtula world is fun, but it's not reality!
apple
goutha wrote:
For me, nothing can replace what's real. Virtula world is fun, but it's not reality!


well said.
PatTheGreat42
What's the difference if you go out to hang with friends or stay in to hang with friends? Especially friends that live halfway around the world?
HamsterMan
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
What's the difference if you go out to hang with friends or stay in to hang with friends? Especially friends that live halfway around the world?

Well said. Also there's the benefit that very shy people have a lot easier to make friends on the internet.
Arty
It's far more convenient than the real world, that's for sure. Very Happy
arquivo
I think this is a normal process while the manking goes ahead... This things happens just because the tecnology is a real thing, not a virtual ones...So i guesse everything was expected... When they invented the car for an simple and maybe poor example, a lot of people shoulded ask for themselves, and waht about the horses... The virtual is on the msn chats, in the web buys, in everything around us, then i think we cant divide anymore the things...
the bad things happens when the people stop to live in harminy with other real people, I mean, just live the tecnology, like play games all days, like to get only msn´s friends and things like that...
So, we just have to get the middle point and everything will works normaly.
crimson_aria
I thank the internet for the many things it did to me. Like you guys said, virtual is more fun than reality, if not always, most of the time. I admit I find it hard to live without it and I usually feel less myself when I'm less in it. Though I must say that even if both worlds are two different things, I know that in many ways, virtual is reality too. so what if it's just computers? computers are a part of what's real, and so is that world. I met many friends through it that I value as much as my offline life friends. and now they're on my reality. virtual doesn't necessarily have to be taken as a whole different world from reality, but a part of it. i guess it's a question of being drowned into what's physical and what's not, what's the priority and what's the leisure. what people should really learn is how to balance.
apple
Keep in mind guys that I never said 'virtual' was a bad thing. My only issue is when those I care about cannot balance their real life/everyday responsibilities and those dependent on them suffer.
apple
Keep in mind guys that I never said 'virtual' was a bad thing. My only issue is when those I care about cannot balance their real life/everyday responsibilities and those dependent on them suffer.
tony
Josso wrote:
Not actually being able to distinguish between real life and virtual worlds sounds like a problem caused by mental health issues


Yes; that is also what I thought when I read that. Playing computer games and even getting very involved in them is something a lot of people do without losing their sense of reality I think. IMO.
guissmo
Yeah. The thing with virtual world is it's limited as compared to real world.

Sure we have emoticons and other stuff to enhance conversations but nothing beats the spontaneity (did I spell that right) of having a face-to-face conversation with someone.

And also, sometimes when we're in the virtual world too much, we get carried away with what we do and sometimes forget the line between virtual and real life.
cleverclassic
Virtual is fun, that's all. If you really have trouble separating the two then you should see a psychiatrist.
Bluedoll
I guess finding we are absorbed with something can happen to us with just about anything. People often spend too much time washing the car and not looking after what is important, so not sure if the problem only ties to virtual computer things. I mean neglect is not a new thing.

Just saying here, people might be that way anyway regardless of what they do. As for seeking help, there is nothing wrong with that.

Maybe people that spend most of their life in sports, out at night clubs or even at the mall should think about other aspects of their life, too. If one day they wake up to find that where they are seems like home, and can't seem to say which activity is more part of their life because they spend so much time at it, I would say that feeling is normal because it is true?

Hope this makes perfect sense. It does to me.
mwsupra
Yes I believe people use virtual worlds as an escape, but sometimes to the point they get drawn in and prefer the virtual one to the real. I've been there, until I met my wife, then reality kicked back in Smile
stel4e
goutha wrote:
For me, nothing can replace what's real. Virtula world is fun, but it's not reality!


Exactly!
ChaserTheWolf
Im addicted to virtual games and the internet, but i can tell them apart. =)
foreverdestiny
There is a difference between addiction and filtering reality from fiction.
People get addicted to the virtual world because they can lead a life that's impossible or illegal in the real world I myself play MMORPG and it makes me feel so damn powerful Twisted Evil

There has been a few strange occasions whereby if I'm holding something flat and straight like a ruler I start swinging it around like a sword Rolling Eyes .

Good thing I can still tell the difference between reality and fiction Razz ...i think.
chatrack
What makes virtual game world more attractive is it's speed.
In real life you cant be that free to move, climb , jumb safely.
So , one would feel more safety and protection in a virtual world.

So it is the ease of action and feeling of safety that virtulal world
that all are attracted to
supernova1987a
first, second life is not game. big companies like NASA have workshops and conferences inside second life. its just second world. a virtual world.
catscratches
hofodomo01 wrote:
Thats 'cause he's using Windows.
Bluedoll
cleverclassic wrote:
Virtual is fun, that's all. If you really have trouble separating the two then you should see a psychiatrist.

A while ago, I was online and had a 'visitor' ask me for my opinion on his 'situation in the virtual world and real world' and in the end he sincerely thanked me for my opinion. He was a psychiatrist in real life. Just wanted to mention that.

Rolling Eyes

We can always see differences and similarities in everything and I think vr/r is of no exception. In the picture above (the person in the window) surely demonstrates this.

Separating or making a distinction between a balance and an imbalance on or off line may be possible to determine, however if you separate reality from an equation vr/r - you only end up with virtual, otherwise virtual reality is reality?
mattyj
I used to go to University with a guy that was addicted to Ultima Online...He would get home from Uni, go straight online and play till like 5 or 6 am then i would have to go to his house to wake him for classes, then he would sleep thru his classes...I dont get it, ive never got into RPGs or even chat rooms, and to be honest i only post on here to keep my points up...i would much rather go and have a beer with mates then talk to people online, but thats just me, i cant grasp the obsession people get...

Funny thing though, i did meet my wife online, in one of the few times i ever used IRC (and same for her) we happened to speak and kept in contact and eventually met up and fell in love, so i guess virtual is good for somethings Wink
Bluedoll
mattyj wrote:
I used to go to University with a guy that was addicted to Ultima Online...He would get home from Uni, go straight online and play till like 5 or 6 am then i would have to go to his house to wake him for classes, then he would sleep thru his classes...I dont get it, ive never got into RPGs or even chat rooms, and to be honest i only post on here to keep my points up...i would much rather go and have a beer with mates then talk to people online, but thats just me, i cant grasp the obsession people get...

Funny thing though, i did meet my wife online, in one of the few times i ever used IRC (and same for her) we happened to speak and kept in contact and eventually met up and fell in love, so i guess virtual is good for somethings Wink


Yes I would say in this case virtual is good for something! Congratuations.

Oh the other hand perhaps it was maybe not, I don't really know for sure that yor friend in university had an absession not with online stuff but with insommnia?
Bluedoll
apple wrote:
Thank you guys for all the responses, I am very saddened by this and it seems as tho my friends are not willing to reason about this. So I guess I am to leave them alone Crying or Very sad
Yes of course you can do that and sometimes leaving something is best (like vr Laughing ) because it might seem like nagging them however might I suggest one thing if that is ok? Perhaps a different approach could be used. I don't think it should be a 'they are in the dark, totally wrong approach' but rather just an open discussion. Perhaps it would be good to separate any issues from the discussion? For example, a person is ignoring their family, that is an issue separate from the discussion. The discussion is simply about is vr good or bad. That kind of thing?

If you look just here in the forum for example you see some people in favour of vr and others with opposite points of view. Sticking to just one topic (What are the effects of a lot of vr?) for example just get people thinking about stuff and not push them in one direction or another.

Does that make sense?
deanhills
Bluedoll wrote:
If you look just here in the forum for example you see some people in favour of vr and others with opposite points of view. Sticking to just one topic (What are the effects of a lot of vr?) for example just get people thinking about stuff and not push them in one direction or another.

Does that make sense?
I think we need both. Those who get carried away with virtual reality and those like Apple who can remind them that it is virtual reality and they need to build their real lives as well on terra firma. People who are passionate about virtual reality can get so addicted to it that they loose complete hold on reality. So they do need people like Apple to let them know what they are doing and to get a grip on their lives.
guth75
I have to admit, I used to love "cyberworld", but I finally know the difference between the two worlds. It's hard not to play/like virtual reality sometimes, but I do know the difference or sure.

I still ♥ Sims and other virtuals though. I admit it Embarassed
Bluedoll
deanhills wrote:
Bluedoll wrote:
If you look just here in the forum for example you see some people in favour of vr and others with opposite points of view. Sticking to just one topic (What are the effects of a lot of vr?) for example just get people thinking about stuff and not push them in one direction or another.

Does that make sense?
I think we need both. Those who get carried away with virtual reality and those like Apple who can remind them that it is virtual reality and they need to build their real lives as well on terra firma. People who are passionate about virtual reality can get so addicted to it that they loose complete hold on reality. So they do need people like Apple to let them know what they are doing and to get a grip on their lives.


What is vr? Virtual Reality: simulation, interaction, artificiality, immersion, telepresence, and network communication.

Well vr encompass specific parts of technology, yes, and I do believe a component of vr is about peoples passion as you said Deanhills, yes I do. We can be passionate about other things as well something as simple as writing for example, even writing perhaps on forums and although one could argue that writing is not vr, it is however similar in that it is representing virtually ourselves online. Is everything we write in touch with reality?

The reality part however you cut it is subjective. Whether we say the time on our computer is separate from other parts of our life or we say it is part and parcel of our life, whether you say it an asset to our life or a distraction from it is arguable and will vary between different individuals. I don’t think anyone can put a factual time limit or reasoning that any online activity (vr) or otherwise is distracting a person from reality in a general sense. Unless of course it is pointing to individual we understand and know well which in Apple’s friends case it may well be but can we really say this is true for everyone?

I read in posts and from other sources a general assumption that people loose site of reality. That can be true but it can also be untrue when it is pointing to one type of technology or generalizing about people who use technology. That is what I meant. Make sense?
speeDemon
the day you miss your xams just because of your character in a virtual game, you're addicted really bad!!

I've never been through such a condition though....
peyote
"I have met quite a number of people who seem not to be able to tell the two apart anymore.

Tho I am also guilty of having been obsessed with virtual life, I must ask where is the line drawn in games like Second Life?
When virtual take priority over real life how does a person who has become obsessed get out?

Is it that the hardships and issues of real life force people to delve into the virtual?"


These words made me learn so much...
Torspot
speeDemon wrote:
the day you miss your xams just because of your character in a virtual game, you're addicted really bad!!

I've never been through such a condition though....

Agreed haha, that is really bad. I havnt really been addicted to my virtual world , but i know friends who have been addicted. They missed important test at school and nearly screwed up their school year because of it. Not cool stuff lol.
TurtleShell
ocalhoun wrote:
If people enjoy a virtual life more than their real one, why not let them give priority to the virtual life?

You could say they are wasting their life away to no purpose, but don't the vast majority of people do that anyway? At least they can find the most enjoyment possible for them while doing so.


I agree. I think basically everyone struggles to find ways to fill their emptiness--with the exception of those who don't live in such difficult conditions that every day is a struggle to survive. Afterall, life is long and there is no definitive instruction manual. A lot of people are out there just trying to find ways to fill time and live happily.

I think it's sad when people slip so far into pretend reality that they don't/can't come up for air, but in moderation I think it's normal and possibly even functional. I live in kind of a pretend world, from time to time. Sort of recreationally. I used to beat myself up for it, thinking it was weird and wrong or stupid, or maybe even that I was crazy. But I got older and I started to realize that it just wasn't a big deal. I let it have its place in my life. I also have a family, and I work about five hundred jobs just to pay the bills, and if I want to have a pretend life on the side, so what?
LittleBlackKitten
Realizing this topic is old...

To coin the bible; "All things in moderation", and this is true, too. There is nothing wrong with enjoying things in your life that you enjoy; videogames, movies, and computers alike. But, if it gets to the point where you're putting off eating, sleeping, kids, work, duties of any kind, then it's going way too far, and you have an addiction. If you can't handle the thought of shutting your computer off for a weekend, you have an obsession. Any obsession or addiction, no matter how big or small, is not healthy, whatsoever.

People are more concerned about more problematic obsessions; Food addiction, Sex addiction, Drug addiction, or Alcoholism. These have both internal and external effects that concern fmaily members and loved ones; but things like video game addiction and computer addiction may not always have any real physical effects whatsoever, aside temperment, exhaustion, and attention paid to other things; but they're still as dangerous.

If you find the lines of real and virtual blurring, you have a problem, and need to pull back - even if that means selling whatever game that's binding your time and mind. If it's on the internet, don't go there, as hard as it is, or even simply remove the internet completely. You can always pour the internet bill money into yout phone and have unlimited calling, so don't try the whole "communication problems" business. Anyone and everyone has some form of phone, and if they don't, go email at the library, or just block off whatever addicting site you have. Delete it off your hard drive.

If the thought of this disturbs you, scares you, or maked you want to cry, you have a major computer/videogame/internet addiction, and you need councelling. I don't mean that as an insult; but I am genuinely meaning you will need some form of professional help, or intervention.
Related topics
What is your operating system?
NY Times: A perfect example of lieberals spreading...
Immersive Virtual Reality
Music and Film Industry Gossip, News and More (May 21st)
Playstation 4? Xbox 720?
Idea for an Experimental Game
RC aircraft + onboard camera + virtual reality
What online game(s) are you currently playing?
Virtual Reality
Where is virtual reality today
Ps3 Or Xbox 360
Linux (w/parallel WIN OS) vs WIN vs Mac (w/parallel WIN OS)
Obama's Unemployment Numbers Keep Going Up
Please Hijack this topic!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.