FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Synchronize remote files with rsync





leontius
I know that I can execute rsync from PHP using system() or exec(). If I'm using a linux desktop, is it possible to set up an rsync server here in my laptop and tell frihost server to connect to rsync daemon in my laptop? This way, I can easily synchronise files in my laptop with the files in the web server.

I'm a bit blur about this, is there anything eg. firewalls in the server that prevents this from happening? I also had a hard time running rsync daemon in my laptop... Sad
rvec
I don't get exactly how rsync works, but here are a couple of things you have to remember.

Tos:
Quote:
Any scripts running in the background on the server.

So running a process continuously isn't allowed (in case it's some kind of daemon).

Tos:
Quote:
Websites or processes generating a high resource usage. This includes backing up/(g)zipping your account/website with a cron job. Resource intensive third-party statistic programs are also not allowed.

Don't know how much it would use, and how often.

Tos:
Quote:
Cron jobs that are being executed more often than once per 15 minutes or generating a lot of cpu load.

again resources, but also if you'd need a cron job.

Also Rsync would have to be installed, and I don't think you'd have permissions on the server to do that.
leontius
rvec wrote:
I don't get exactly how rsync works, but here are a couple of things you have to remember.

Tos:
Quote:
Any scripts running in the background on the server.

So running a process continuously isn't allowed (in case it's some kind of daemon).


It's not running in the background... and the server only uses rsync as a client. My laptop becomes the server and frihost server connects to my laptop as a client (as strange as it may sound). But of course my laptop won't be on 24/7.

rvec wrote:

Tos:
Quote:
Websites or processes generating a high resource usage. This includes backing up/(g)zipping your account/website with a cron job. Resource intensive third-party statistic programs are also not allowed.

Don't know how much it would use, and how often.

As far as I know, it cannot be any much different from uploading the files using FTP .

rvec wrote:

Tos:
Quote:
Cron jobs that are being executed more often than once per 15 minutes or generating a lot of cpu load.

again resources, but also if you'd need a cron job.


I want to run rsync only when I have files to upload, not during cron.

rvec wrote:

Also Rsync would have to be installed, and I don't think you'd have permissions on the server to do that.


It's already installed, I checked Smile I think it is usually included by default among linux distros.
rvec
well then I don't see any problems Smile
Related topics
website program
sshfs for windows
mysql and flash
Can I unzip Remote Files
TurboFTP - secure FTP client program
What happened to Perl?
Warning: include() [function.include]:
C++ Remote files
PHP reading a line?
Why?
Is include disbled or something?
HTTP Fileupload and CHMOD
Javascript vs PHP (or python?) - unicode text file search
help: some function php is off
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Web Hosting Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.