FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Partitioning a HDD

ainieas
Is it feasible to partition a HDD while running windows. I mean without booting it into DOS or something. I've never partitioned a HDD except while installing windows. Its a system running Windows XP. It has one partition with the operating system installed in it.
coreymanshack
ainieas wrote:
Is it feasible to partition a HDD while running windows. I mean without booting it into DOS or something. I've never partitioned a HDD except while installing windows. Its a system running Windows XP. It has one partition with the operating system installed in it.

Computer Management Console has a partition snap in.
ainieas
I didn't find the exact option that would let me partition the hard disk under the computer management console. Anyway is it safe to partition the drive with the operating syatem installed in it?
coreymanshack
ainieas wrote:
I didn't find the exact option that would let me partition the hard disk under the computer management console. Anyway is it safe to partition the drive with the operating syatem installed in it?

I think it is called disk management or something...
and yes it is safe if you do it from within windows.
ocalhoun
ainieas wrote:

It should be just fine, but windows won't let you change the partition that windows is installed on. (Since that is the only partition on the drive, you'll need a different solution.)
If you need to change the partition that windows is installed on, there are 3rd party softwares (like partition magic) that will allow you to change a partition without loosing the data on it, then create a new partition in the new free space.
If you're repartitioning in order to install linux, some linux installers (like SuSE's) are also capable of resizing a windows partition without loosing the data on it.
coreymanshack
ocalhoun wrote:
ainieas wrote:

It should be just fine, but windows won't let you change the partition that windows is installed on. (Since that is the only partition on the drive, you'll need a different solution.)
If you need to change the partition that windows is installed on, there are 3rd party softwares (like partition magic) that will allow you to change a partition without loosing the data on it, then create a new partition in the new free space.
If you're repartitioning in order to install linux, some linux installers (like SuSE's) are also capable of resizing a windows partition without loosing the data on it.

windows will let you manage the partition windows is installed on.
ocalhoun
coreymanshack wrote:

View it, yes, but change it? I've never seen it allow that.
coreymanshack
ocalhoun wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

View it, yes, but change it? I've never seen it allow that.

sure will
Jaan
PartitionMagic does exactly what you described, it is well worth the money. Made by Norton, it gets the job done, and done right at that too!

Cheers
Jamestf347
Better than installing a program do as one of the other replies, go to control panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > right click and click new volume label, and you should be able to do it. Or get a floppy and put fdisk.exe on it, which is the easiest way to do it case it's practically backward compatible and really easy interface.
coreymanshack
Jamestf347 wrote:
Better than installing a program do as one of the other replies, go to control panel > Administrative tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > right click and click new volume label, and you should be able to do it. Or get a floppy and put fdisk.exe on it, which is the easiest way to do it case it's practically backward compatible and really easy interface.

I don't think that path exists in home editions
ocalhoun
Jamestf347 wrote:
Or get a floppy and put fdisk.exe on it,

Very bad idea if you don't want to loose the data on the windows partition!
Cddhesh
There are many softwares such as Partition Magic, PC Doctor ,System Mechanic etc . Which allows you to do what exactly you are thinking.
coreymanshack
Cddhesh wrote:
There are many softwares such as Partition Magic, PC Doctor ,System Mechanic etc . Which allows you to do what exactly you are thinking.

sure wish you guys would read the post first.
Jamestf347
coreymanshack wrote:
Jamestf347 wrote:

I don't think that path exists in home editions

It does, the one you're thinking about is right clicking my computer and clicking manage, there are a few ways of getting there but those are the easiest, and fastest. If you want me to post screenies, i'd be happy to...
infinisa
Hi ainieas

If you had Windows Vista installed, you could resize a partition using Disk Management accessible from the control panel (see How to resize a partition in Windows Vista).

However, you say you have Windows XP installed, and Windows XP Disk management includes no support for disk resizing, despite what earlier posts have said. For this, you need to use third party software (I recommend Partition Magic) which, unfortunately, is not free.

That said, I've just come across a free product, EASEUS Partition Master, that claims to do what Partition Magic does. However, I've never tried it, so I suggest you check for reviews and try it out first on another machine.

Good luck!
coreymanshack
infinisa wrote:
Hi ainieas

If you had Windows Vista installed, you could resize a partition using Disk Management accessible from the control panel (see How to resize a partition in Windows Vista).

However, you say you have Windows XP installed, and Windows XP Disk management includes no support for disk resizing, despite what earlier posts have said. For this, you need to use third party software (I recommend Partition Magic) which, unfortunately, is not free.

That said, I've just come across a free product, EASEUS Partition Master, that claims to do what Partition Magic does. However, I've never tried it, so I suggest you check for reviews and try it out first on another machine.

Good luck!

Well I know I can do it, and I have windows xp.
infinisa
coreymanshack wrote:

I also have Windows XP (Professional) running, and when I do:
Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Managment, I get a list of partitions and the only context menu options are:

Open
Explore
Change Drive Letter and Paths
Format
Delete Logical Drive
Properties
Help

I see nothing about resizing.

Please tell me how you do it!
erlendhg
Jamestf347 wrote:

Well, no it isn't better at all. Windows' built-in disk managment can't really do anything right. You can't for example resize a partition from the "start" of the partition.

PartitionMagic is the way to go, or boot a LIVE-linux distro and use a partion manager from there (but only if you know what you are doing. If you mess up there, you mess up pretty bad...)
Kaseas
I usually do mine using a livecd. Give ubuntu a try.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
Jamestf347
erlendhg wrote:
Jamestf347 wrote:

Well, no it isn't better at all. Windows' built-in disk managment can't really do anything right. You can't for example resize a partition from the "start" of the partition.

PartitionMagic is the way to go, or boot a LIVE-linux distro and use a partion manager from there (but only if you know what you are doing. If you mess up there, you mess up pretty bad...)

Never Heard that before... You can create partitions perfectly fine with it...
it's one of the easiest ways of doing it without downloading a trial or something.
coreymanshack
infinisa wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Managment, I get a list of partitions and the only context menu options are:

Open
Explore
Format
Delete Logical Drive
Properties
Help

Change it to a Dynamic Drive is step one.
ilie88
ainieas wrote:

Hi ainieas,

you kan find information about hdd partitioning hier :http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/partitioneditors.shtml
sanalskumar
coreymanshack wrote:
infinisa wrote:
coreymanshack wrote:

Open
Explore
Format
Delete Logical Drive
Properties
Help

Change it to a Dynamic Drive is step one.

coreymanshack, Can you tell me how you will do after changing on to dynamic disk??? THis is just wastage of time. Rather use some third party softwares. In Windows we can not do that because the OS architecture does not support to do that. Tell me if your OS allows you to do that. I need to work on my system also...

ainieas, You better go for Partition magic or something according to your convinience. And do R&D using windows default tools only if you hate the data in your Disk...
nhatoday
You can use the Partition Magic to partition your hard drive. I do it all the time. it always good great.