FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dungeons & Dragons

kriszara
Does anyone still play D&D?
I have played Dungeons and Dragons for over 20 years. Learned on 2nd Edition, adjusted to 3rd, and disliked 4th. I am playing other things now but will eventually go back to 3rd Ed D&D.
Does anyone here play?
What version do you like?

Kristine
desonium
No I do not play it anymore. I played it for 2 years but in the end I have had lost the
fun of playing it. Confused So that is why I dont play it anymore
I Only played the 3th edition and that was a good edition, I can't say anything about the other editions because I dont have played that editions.
tocapa
I wish I could play but I have a hard time finding a group up here; not to mention I don't have a lot of free time. I actually want to get into other types of tabletop RPGs, like a superhero version. It's just got such a damn stigma, even among people who would dare to call themselves 'nerds'.
kriszara
tocapa wrote:
I wish I could play but I have a hard time finding a group up here; not to mention I don't have a lot of free time. I actually want to get into other types of tabletop RPGs, like a superhero version. It's just got such a damn stigma, even among people who would dare to call themselves 'nerds'.

It really does have a uber-geek stigma attached doesn't it?
Tell them Vin Diesel played as a kid, that'll shut them up. Laughing
tocapa
kriszara wrote:
It really does have a uber-geek stigma attached doesn't it?
Tell them Vin Diesel played as a kid, that'll shut them up. Laughing

As a kid, shoot son he still plays far as I know. Not that it helps; plus most people up here would rather spend their time playing Halo. I don't blame them, video games are attractive to them (and myself, of course) because they're quick and usually don't require a whole lot of thought, but tabletop RPGs are a whole different thing. I don't think most people are willing to sit down for several hours at a time and do the work when they can do a lot more in a video game for the same amount of time.
kriszara
The hardest part for me is finding a good game master. It is a lot of work to run an enjoyable game, something with a storyline and not just the fight of the week.
Geek topic for the weekend: Who would you choose as your dream GM?

My choices:
Joss Whedon - even the minor characters get amazing storylines.
Bob Salvatore - duh
William Gibson - Cyberpunk

Alternately who would you not want as a GM?

Stephen King - unless we were playing Call of Cthulhu
Jack Chalker - ditto
Ankhanu
kriszara wrote:
I have played Dungeons and Dragons for over 20 years. Learned on 2nd Edition, adjusted to 3rd, and disliked 4th. I am playing other things now but will eventually go back to 3rd Ed D&D.
Does anyone here play?

Kristine

I play every* weekend. I started off with West End Games' d6 Star Wars (2nd Ed.) and moved on to White Wolf games and a few others. D&D never managed to catch me until 3rd Ed. With 3rd Ed. the rules started to be sensible Razz Like you, I don't particularly care for 4e; my group found that in far too many cases we encountered "What? That makes no sense!" "It's 4th edition, just run with it." "Oh, right..."

Something that you might be interested in is Pathfinder RPG. It is, in essence, a different vision for a 4e D&D... one that builds upon the solid foundation of 3.x and tries to correct its shortcomings, rather than completely tossing out everything learned in 3.x, like Wizards of the Coast did when they made 4e. We've been playing these rules for a couple months now and they seem pretty solid.

I also play a lot of Play-by-Post messageboard based RPGs, mostly using d6 Star Wars, but also some of the old White Wolf, and a Dragonlance 3.x game. It's a great way to waste time Smile

* - subject to player whim to not show up
samrobson1
I'm far too lazy for AD&D but games that use AD&D rules aren't too bad. My favs would be the Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale PC games. Actually thinking about those games is making me consider looking for the 5 cds needed for installation Razz
tchaunt
samrobson1 wrote:
Actually thinking about those games is making me consider looking for the 5 cds needed for installation Razz

Are the games you mentioned really old or do they have that much content?!? Or do they have something like expansion packs?
kriszara
Ankhanu wrote:

Something that you might be interested in is Pathfinder RPG. It is, in essence, a different vision for a 4e D&D... one that builds upon the solid foundation of 3.x and tries to correct its shortcomings, rather than completely tossing out everything learned in 3.x, like Wizards of the Coast did when they made 4e. We've been playing these rules for a couple months now and they seem pretty solid.

I also play a lot of Play-by-Post messageboard based RPGs, mostly using d6 Star Wars, but also some of the old White Wolf, and a Dragonlance 3.x game. It's a great way to waste time Smile

I am familiar with Pathfinder, it started as a module/adventure supplement to take the place of Dragon Magazine. I didn't know they had converted to 4e though.

Kristine
Ankhanu
They didn't convert to 4e; they've created an alternative to 4e, updating the 3.x rules. There are some changes to things like polymorph, skills, the core class progressions, some of the feats and such. It's a different ruleset; but not THAT much different from 3.x, unlike D&D 4e that completely tossed out the prior rulesets.
Jamatu
I've played multiple games that use the ruleset such as Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights etc. I've never actually played the 'game' though. Is it as much fun as the computers games?
Ankhanu
That's a tough question to answer Razz Yes and no.

Table top roleplaying and video-game roleplaying are inherently different. With video games, you have a character that is, well, primarily a bunch of stats, you move through the world interacting in set patterns (there may be a fair degree of freedom, but the patterns remain the same, and there are limitations on what you can do); there's little to really let you immerse in the character, so its a slightly detatched experience.

Table top can also run that way, depending on the Game Master (or Dungeon Master, or Storyteller, or whatever the person running the game is called in those rules) and their game plot and concept... however, it also gives the option to really get into the concept of your character; their mindset, experiences... You can actually play the character as opposed to just the numbers. Some people play table top as simply a game of numbers, though, while others play for the acting/immersive aspect, it all comes down to flavor.
Nutteloos
I've recently started playing 4th edition with a couple of friends and so far (maybe 4 sessions) it's been great. Only one of us (the DM) has some real experience playing an earlier version (3.5, I think) but it hasn't been too hard to catch up. They seem to have really made an effort to make the game more accessible to new players.
Dean_The_Great
I used to play some 3.5 with friends, and had a great time doing it, but it just became difficult with life getting in the way to get the whole gang together every time. And nothing sucks more than when the DM has to play a couple of the Player characters cause they're at work.
evilgeniuself
kriszara wrote:
Does anyone here play?

Kristine

I just recently started playing D&D, and am playing both 3.5 and 4.0 with different groups. I personally prefer 3.5, although I like 4.0's slightly more rule based nature. There is a lot of house rules that end up coming around in 3.5 which don't seem to be necessary in 4.0 (I play Living Forgotten Realms, too, which limits this even more), and I end up becoming confused at times....
In other words, I play 3.5 and 4.0, and like both.
Nutteloos
Many rule changes in 4.0 were made to make gameplay run more smooth, which I think is a good thing. Another key difference I think, is that they discourage the DM from throwing insane challenges at the party. Like, insta-death traps leading to the characters making perception checks every 5ft they move, and battles where one critical hit from a monster can make the difference between scraping half the party's remains off the floor and being a walk in the park.

Overall, I think it's a good thing though many may need time to adapt to the different mindset. It won't be for everyone, that's for sure.
Ankhanu
Nutteloos wrote:
Many rule changes in 4.0 were made to make gameplay run more smooth, which I think is a good thing. Another key difference I think, is that they discourage the DM from throwing insane challenges at the party. Like, insta-death traps leading to the characters making perception checks every 5ft they move, and battles where one critical hit from a monster can make the difference between scraping half the party's remains off the floor and being a walk in the park.

Overall, I think it's a good thing though many may need time to adapt to the different mindset. It won't be for everyone, that's for sure.

I didn't find that the 4e rules made the game play any smoother... and simply led to questions on the rationale of the rules; as they are, as you mention designed to run smoothly... not necessarily sensibly Razz

Personally, I find part of the fun of playing RPGs is a good sense of mortality and danger... removing that element just makes a party of pseudo-gods with delusions of grandeur. Vulnerability brings some higher stakes to the table and increases the tension and drama. Scraping half the party from the walls on a particularly good hit isn't bad, that's an AWESOME story in the making Razz
Tuvitor
I've killed so many hours under the old "Gygax System" of AD&D 1st and 2nd editions. I've played a bit of the d20 3/3.5 system and I've looked at the 4th edition, but it just never grabbed me like the old systems did. The old D&D was a feast for the imagination. Months spent just playing one module.... months building my own modules.

Maybe I'm just older and more curmudgeony, and simply haven't had decent luck in finding the same kind of groups now that I could find back in the day. It just seems that the dumbing down of D&D has killed the quality of gameplay I used to experience. GET OFF MY LAWN! Laughing
Nutteloos
I dread starting another 3.x vs. 4.0 debate over here, especially since my experience with the former is virtually nonexistent.

One thing I would recommend though, is if you're curious - check out some live events. See the game being played, maybe play a few rounds yourself. My first adventure had me sold within half an hour.