FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photography as a Hobby ?

dude_xyx
How many of you do photography as a hobby ? I think its a great hobby but cost you a bit for camera and other stuff. I'm thinking of starting this as my new hobby.
tdossi
Nevertheless, photograph is a very nice hobby. I make it also very much with pleasure. Have, however, only one cheap camera.
Insanity
I think almost any hobby tends to get you to spend a lot of money on. If you play music, you need an instrument, stamp collecting, you need to buy stamps.. etc. Though some are less costly than others of course.
goniagara
Photography is a fun hobby ... I'm just starting to get back into it. I got a entry level dSLR for christmas and a telephoto lens and I'm in for about $800 so far. An advanced point and shoot would cost quite a bit less and can take some nice pictures, and is a good camera to start with.
tdossi
I think we must not so expensive to start. There are cheaper cameras that are very nice pictures. Not everyone has so much money for such expensive devices.
andysart380
i bought myself a rebel about 4 months ago and i love it.....a digital slr is the way to go you can do all your custom settings or you can choose to point and shoot.... very nice camera to play with. Some pictures are on my website andysart.frih.org check that out
Triple_7
I've enjoyed photography for a long time and just invested in a better camera a few weeks ago. Still not the one I truly want but just don't have the finances to afford the monster just yet. Bought a 12mp Kodak Easyshare for about $200 after batteries and a new SD card..so far I love it. Beats my old 3.1mp HP junker by a mile. Cool Quality is crystal clear, but it doesn't have near the features I really want.

The real camera I have my eyes on will run about $600 by the time I add in a couple of different lens. One of these days I will get it. Plan to do a lot more traveling and already have to many pictures that could have been much better...I kick myself harder every time I look at the pictures I took in with that 3.1mp HP in Taiwan and wish I would have had a better camera...some of the most beautiful landscape up in the mountains and the pictures are nice but not great and just don't do justice to the true feeling I had there Sad Maybe next time I will be prepared. To much grain or lighting disasters ruined some of the best shots. Sad
tdossi
Hello andysart380, you have really nice horse pictures on your side: http://andysart.frih.org/. Very nicely. Further in such a way. Only with your homepage does not go on the left the navigation.
dude_xyx
Well I'm about to get into this wonderful hobby but more into wild life photography. My friend has send a camera as a gift from Dubai so I'm waiting till it arrives here. ( Probably on this Friday ). Its a semi pro DSLR camera which is called as Canon SX10 IS. It has a nice telephoto lenses which i hope will be great to took bird photos.

I don't know much about cameras but I have friends who are wild life photographers so I'm learning things from them.
rahulkucheria
MINE TOO IS ALSO PHOTO
dude_xyx
Well I ve receive the camera and its really Cool. I think canon sx10is the best camera which let you do stuff like in DSLR cameras. with 20x optiocal zoon you and other features its wel worth i think. But I'm still trying to figure out all its features and stuff and how to use it. I'm still confused about macro amd super macro options.

One problem about this camera is you can use filters for this without buy this 3 rd party filter holder.

Heres few pics I took with it. bad quality is my fault not cameras.

-

-

-

kody
It's a great hobby, especially with the digital revolution that's taken place.

You can get started for cheap several ways.

One way I would highly recommend is to look for a used camera that is within your budget, but make sure it has some sort of "manual" mode. Playing around with the aperture and shutter speed of a camera is when you go from "point and shoot party mode" to fully understanding and enjoying the art.
dude_xyx
Yes. You can't learn anything in Auto mode. You have to do it hard way to understand it
tingkagol
Everyone's going crazy for DSLRs where I come from. Shocked

Anyway, a good entry level DSLR camera is either the Canon 1000D or Nikon D40 (?). Both cost around 20,000 to 25,000 pesos, which is around 400-500 USD. A friend of mine just bought a 1000D for about 24,000 from Singapore - though I'm sure you can find cheaper ones if you look around.

Oh, I own a Canon 400D and it's nice. My photography is at a standstill these days however. I've been really busy with other stuff. Smile
tdossi
Hallo dude_xyx. You have put nice pictures here. Further in such a way.
Kopernikus
Itīs a lot cheaper than in analogue times... Smile
when I started taking pictures, people had to pay through their nose to get their pictures developed.

Or they did it themselves, which gave them much of the same control over the result, as we have today using photoshop. but for a lot more money.

Or they where using slides, meaning you had to get the picture right at the time of shooting. And you had to have a certain amount of money to buy equipment for displaying the pics, not to mention the hard work in creating a slide show with two projectors and music...

*I* definitely love taking pictures, and as ansel adams said 12 good pictures a year are plenty Wink
tw34kfr34k
I just started my intrest in photography about a year ago.
It takes patience but once i got the hang of it its really fun to mess around in photoshop.
00hamster
I was always interested but never got into it :S
clairebear
i would suggest looking into holga photography, the cameras are extremely inexpensive
allandu
I do photography as a hobby for a bit because i love taking pictures of my cat when she` half asleep and half awake ( lol zombie?)
Sometimes i make pictures of stars or so on.
I havnt bought a special camera, i use one that was given to me as a birthdaygift.( i dont know the type but it is great for me)
dude_xyx
tdossi wrote:
Hallo dude_xyx. You have put nice pictures here. Further in such a way.

Thanks. Its great hobby photography is. You can get addicted to it. I have to thank my friend who gave me this camera has a gift. It was in kinda bottom of my wish list but I'm really happy about it. You would never realize how many great things there are around you, not till you start looking for.

I have started a topic to post my photos where i would keep posting, check them out !

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-105333.html#876005
Chinmoy
ya, it works for me..but after sometime, you miss that shutter speed, that aperture control and finally a proper camera!!! i dont have an SLR!
Keran
I'm sure that I could get pretty addicted if I had the right camera equipment, however those things are really expensive and for me doing photography only as a non-profit hobby would be in my opinion a waste of money.

Also pictures made with cheap cameras aren't as nearly as good as the pictures posted by dude-xyx. That's why I never gotten really into photography.
Thank God, that the remedy for poor quality photos can always be found in Photoshop though ^.^
dude_xyx
Well Keran Its not always like that. you don't need expensive stuff for everything. My camera is not a DSLR Its good but not that good like a DSLR. I have to know whats its limits and take the max out of it. For example my camera is not good for fast moving objects in low light conditions. But you can take good shots in Good light conditions. So that's what I do. So you can buy a 80$ camera and stuff you can take great photos. You just have to see what camera can do and make best out of it. All what you need is bit of a creative thinking.
michaeljscott93
Nice shots very good!

You start a Flickr account and look at other photographers for ideas

Very Happy
dude_xyx
thanks michael I don't know if I have enough good photos to start a Flickr account though I want to start.
michaeljscott93
There are millions of people on Flickr and the majority are not 'pro' photographers!

I have learnt alot from other peoples photos, so I think its a good idea to get involved and especially checkout 'Explore' ! Very Happy
pho3nixsky
I have a sony cybershot camera and i love using it. Photography isn't my main hobby but a luxury thing to do when i go out, away on trips or just feel like capturing something special.
youandmephotography
Even with an average camera, this is an easy hobby to pick up, as long as you have photoshop or another way to edit your pictures (even iPhoto can help touch all of your pictures up!)
Mudkipdw
I think photography is great every weekend i'll have the camera out... I am thinking of buy an new Canon SLR but ( the price of them) Shocked !
bsbteng
I think photograph hobby tends to get you to spend a lot of money on. You need to buy an camera instrument and you need to go around many cities to take good photoes.
Ankhanu
bsbteng wrote:
I think photograph hobby tends to get you to spend a lot of money on. You need to buy an camera instrument and you need to go around many cities to take good photoes.

Absolutely not.
Depending on the type of photography you want to do, you can spend as little as, say $150(Cdn) for a decent camera, and go no further than your very own home to amass some spectacular photos. While it's true that there are limitations based on your equipment, they're less than the limitations of your own imagination, eye for composition and creativity. You can build a life's worth of amazing photos without ever leaving your own neighbourhood... if you're willing to see what's around you.

Photography is a fantastic hobby. It can cost you thousands, but, like Insanity said earlier in the thread, any hobby can cost a lot of money. The secret of a good photo is in the photographer, not the camera. If you look at some of the photography sites out there, you'll often come across shots that people are complimenting and begging to know what amazing camera they used, only to have it revealed that they photographer used a cheap point-and-click camera... but understood how to take a picture. If you learn how to compose a picture and how to properly adjust aperture/shutter speed/white balance (for digital), you'll take better pictures with a cheap camera than someone using a high end SLR on Auto mode. Don't worry about equipment so much and train your eye.
michaeljscott93
Check out my latest uploads=)Razz http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeljscott/
Vladalf
I take most of my pictures in my garden. I love to see how it grows and changes in every season and sometimes some sights are just made to be photographed. Also I sometimes make pictures of the nearby park early in the morning when there's noone around.
Vlad
Kopernikus
The really expensive part in photography isnīt the traveling, itīs the probing, the experimenting *what* do you want to capture. For some people itīs flower, for others action sports. You can do anything with very little money for technical equipment, but itīs *so* much easier when you have the *right* equipment for it. So you try out, and find, that (for me) flowers are boring, or something equally profund, after spening a lot of cash on macro lenses etc.
Ankhanu
Kopernikus wrote:
The really expensive part in photography isnīt the traveling, itīs the probing, the experimenting *what* do you want to capture. For some people itīs flower, for others action sports. You can do anything with very little money for technical equipment, but itīs *so* much easier when you have the *right* equipment for it. So you try out, and find, that (for me) flowers are boring, or something equally profund, after spening a lot of cash on macro lenses etc.

Haha, definitely. It's a good idea to start out your probing and finding out what you want to be able to do with a cheaper camera than an SLR Smile Using something with a versatile lens that will give you a good taste of what's possible (without being FANTASTIC at any of it) is the best way to go, then get the specialized equipment if you need it.

Generally the mid-price range point n clicks with lenses capable of 10-18x zoom and an ok macro will give you a LOT of flexibility, and generally a rather nice picture without breaking the bank. They'll let you experiment with pretty much any aspect of photography you might want to get into... and in the end, may be all you ever need. I'm talking cameras like the Canon S5, SX110, Nikon L100, P80, Olympus SP series, Panasonic FZ-28, FZ-50, and the like. Capable cameras with a lot of flexibility, but much cheaper than SLR lenses.
Kopernikus
actually i find, that you need a rather strong wide-angle much more often than a strong tele.
so, if you are looking for a good p&s think "28mm" rather than "400mm"
biljap
Photography is a great hobby. I don’t own some expensive camera and that is because I keep my pictures for myself and my friends. But having a good camera and possibility to travel and go to different places, weather that would be nature, small town or a big city... There are a lot of great moments you can catch with camera and create beautiful pictures. Razz

One of my friends is doing this, wherever he goes he bring his camera with him... Now, he has so many photos that he started his website... It is still being developed but he will soon put for download some of pictures, it would be great to have them as desktop background. He is also planning to create a place to show others his work and maybe to sell those pictures, though he is still giving them away as a present. Very Happy

Yes, photography is great, as long as you have good camera, a good eye and some creativity! Wink
melind
I've always been interested in photography. If I had the time and money to make a hobby, I probably would. When I was taking a journalism class my freshman year of high school there was a brief photography unit. I found out that photography was a lot more difficult than I originally thought. I never did take a photography course in high school and now that I'm in college I wouldn't be able to fit it into my schedule. I still like reading about photography though. Its very interesting. Smile
Kopernikus
well, with todays digital cameras itīs more like learning to *see*, in the good old days you had to know much more about the technical details.
Donīt get me wrong, it still helps to know what youīre doing, but today iīd spend more time looking at paintings of the old masters and photos from good photographers, than thinking about the pixelcount of your camera.
joe_b
What's great about photography is it can be as cheap or expensive as you want. Even the inexpensive cameras these days are capable of making beautiful pictures, but you usually have to pay a little more to get a model that allows you to have control over the picture making process rather than everything being automatically done by the camera. If you do get into DSLRs, the general advice is to spend more money on good glass (AKA lenses) than on the camera body itself. The technology in the body changes fairly quickly, but quality lens technology hasn't changed nearly as quickly.
dude_xyx
Well starting photography as hobby is not expensive apart from buying a camera. Also you can do nice creative stuff with a small 100$ digital camera. Also Travelling won't be always an issus because you can photograph what you have around you. like graden where you have small animals, plants, birds and insects. Also in a city or town you can take snaps of interesting moments.

What makes photography expensive is after a while you get addicted and you get this need to buy better equipment So you can do more things.
furtasacra
You don't need an expensive camera to take good pictures. I've been fascinated with extreme closeups of weeds lately for some reason, and I've taken some cool pictures with a cheap little point-and-shoot.

I took both of these early this morning:
A dewy buttercup no bigger than the tip of my finger-

and a thistle that looks more like a sea anemone than a flower from this angle.

I love this one I took yesterday afternoon of a dandelion.

chiragpatnaik
furtasacra wrote:
You don't need an expensive camera to take good pictures. I've been fascinated with extreme closeups of weeds lately for some reason, and I've taken some cool pictures with a cheap little point-and-shoot.

Great photos. I agree with you that you don't need am expensive camera. I have been using an S5 camera for quite a while and it gives great photos.
furtasacra
chiragpatnaik wrote:

Great photos. I agree with you that you don't need am expensive camera. I have been using an S5 camera for quite a while and it gives great photos.

Thank you. I have come to the conclusion that what you really need to take good pictures is spare batteries and memory cards so you can take a LOT of pictures. If you fiddle with settings and take photos of everything you think looks interesting, you'll eventually get to the point where you get good pictures, just from sheer practice.

Although I have to confess I am starting to hanker after a fancier camera, so I have more options for shutter speed and so forth - animals and people don't obligingly hold still like plants and inanimate objects, and I'm not a big fan of posed photographs.
dude_xyx
Nice photos. That third photo is the best I think. Its sharp and Look great ! I have a sx10 IS and bought a Macro Lens for 45 usd recently. Now I'm trying to learn how to take macro photos.
furtasacra
dude_xyx wrote:
Nice photos. That third photo is the best I think. Its sharp and Look great ! I have a sx10 IS and bought a Macro Lens for 45 usd recently. Now I'm trying to learn how to take macro photos.
\

Thank you!

I was particularly pleased with the dandelion; that picture was taken on a slightly cloudy but extremely bright afternoon. The sunshine looked hazy and somehow clear as glass at the same time, and I was pleasantly surprised that my little cheap camera actually captured the odd quality of the light.

The first two pictures were taken wee early the next morning, before the sun was fully up.

All three of those photos were taken with the macro setting on a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W55. It's an inexpensive point-and-shoot camera, and I would love it even if it hadn't been a gift. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes, so it fits in a pocket and I can (and do) take it with me everywhere.
kshakya
It is a nice hobby...I love photography...I just wish I had a better camera than the one I have right now and better skills Wink
dude_xyx
Yeah a Tiny camera can be very handy since you can take it everywhere you want.

I'm trying to figure out all features of my camera and also techniques. I'm learning slowly how to get things done with my SX10 IS. Its a cool camera. If you want to do some serious photography but can't afford a DSLR then this is the best choose. Its small but not pocket size. But a great tool to have when you want to take any type of photography. Here's some of my photos taken from it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25180238@N07/
Fanghai
I love photography
but I'm too shaky too shakey ://
dude_xyx
Fanghai wrote:
I love photography
but I'm too shaky too shakey ://

Well all new cameras have image stabilizers. So shaking is not a big problem. Also you can use a Tripod ! Well first few days its like that untill you get used to the camera.
michaeljscott93
Yeah, photography is great, but think of the camera as being an investment!

You'll have years of enjoyment with it and may even create some excellent images!
dude_xyx
Also it can help you to earn few bucks too. Maybe a filter or even a lens. Just write a blog about your experience and you will able to earn something when its build up.
Kopernikus
Well, for me it was the day, I actually started moonlighting for our local newspaper...

Some days it takes all the fun out of taking pictures... you have to deliver at least good-enough.
So youīre under quite a bit of pressure.
OTOH I get behind the scenes, have practically no limits, not even those of civilized behaviour (everyone loves publicity, so i get away with a lot ) Very Happy

A lot of the pictures I shoot today are simple shots of groups of people. Pretty boring stuff, but sometimes I get to visit events, I definitely wouldnīt on my own. And there I have no qualms whatsoever to elbow myself into the front row and start the camera Very Happy and now I find that this spills over even if Iīm shooting privately...
rosgar
it's an expensive hobby. Computer plus camera.
chengg
Photography is a great way of learning the world in a different perspective. It is one of my favourite hobbies. I usually just go out somewhere and take photos of EVERYTHING, but in a total different view, using different techniques.
Once i finish taking photos i go home and photoshop them, i make the some parts more highlighted and some parts more darkened. The final result is great, i can make the world seem dull or make the world seem like heaven.

For those of you who have absolutely no interest in photography, i feel sorry for you as your missing out on a wonderful hobby, you should try it out. It allows you to feel and see the world differently.
ponda
dude_xyx wrote:
How many of you do photography as a hobby ? I think its a great hobby but cost you a bit for camera and other stuff. I'm thinking of starting this as my new hobby.

I love photography, I am actually trying to take it from hobby, to part of my career. I'm trying to set up a portfolio and everything. Cameras are expensive depending on where you buy them from.
Kopernikus
ponda wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:

I love photography, I am actually trying to take it from hobby, to part of my career. I'm trying to set up a portfolio and everything. Cameras are expensive depending on where you buy them from.

Well, at least partly I did that.
I went to my local newspaper and am now responsible for documenting our neighbourhood. Itīs not a career or even lucrative, but Iīm happy to get paid for doing my hobby.
Of course, there are perks, like pressgoodies too Smile

OTOH, most of the pics Iīm shooting for the paper are pretty boring stuff....
dude_xyx
Many think you need expensive cameras and stuff to take great photos but that's not the truth. If You check Flickr you ll see there are soo many great photos's been taken with Cheap cameras. I think most important things are learning all basics of photography, understanding what your camera capable of ( What it can what it can't ), a Good creative eye.
erlendhg
I almost whish I had photography as a hobby, because one can take or compose so many great pictures. Unforunately, I don't have the time to do that. If I only had a second life... Razz
dude_xyx
Well you don't need time for it. Its not something you do in a studio. a small camera which you can carry everywhere or Good phone camera can do. You can always take a minute or 2 to capture something.
Kopernikus
dude_xyx wrote:
Well you don't need time for it. Its not something you do in a studio. a small camera which you can carry everywhere or Good phone camera can do. You can always take a minute or 2 to capture something.

Funny, good pictures take a *lot* of time...
fladry
I love photography. There are many "very beautiful" places around where i live. But, the problem is that i don't have a camera. Nither do i have money to buy one. I had a 5 megapixel camera but it is badly damaged and it eats up the battery so fast that you can hardly take two shots with new batteries. Now, i am just photographing silly smiles of my friends with the 1.3 mega pixel camera of my mp4.
dude_xyx
Kopernikus wrote:
dude_xyx wrote:

Funny, good pictures take a *lot* of time...

Not at all. Sometime you need to for the right moment but sometimes you are already there when the time is right. No need to wait for things to happens take photos of when things happen and you are there.
mk12327
Same here. I had long interested in photography and wanted to try it out both as a hobby and as a professional career. However, i simply could not break beyond my comfort zone and give it a try. So far I only tried casual photo-taking using a point and shoot camera. I guess having someone to teach or guide would be more helpful. Anyone with good resources for people starting out?
dude_xyx
Join Photography forums. Thats the best way to learn and also the fastest way to learn. If you have a Canon camera or gonna buy one yr this Canon forum. Its one of the best photographers forums you can find

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
paulina
I like photography very much.
For me it's a kind of art, where you can show something or somebody, and you can show emotions (with good photo of course Wink )

I've got a simple camera - Canon PowerShot A460 and analogue Konica Minolta. But I'm carrying money to buy something better Wink for example Canon EOS 400 D or Nikon D3000.
But do you recommend something ? I'd like to buy digital camera, maybe not professional like Canon EOS 1Ds-Mark III or EOS 5D ;P
andysart380
someone said my links dont work but they did last time i checked
mattyj
I love photography as a hobby, ive been in and out of it since about 2000 (when i got my first digi cam - 1MP Kodak lol)

Since then ive upgraded every few years and just recently got my first Digi SLR (Canon Rebel XS)

Great camera, if anyone is interested you can view some of my images here http://www.pbase.com/mattyjsmith
mattyj
andysart380 wrote:
someone said my links dont work but they did last time i checked

Some of them do and some dont (sports, links & videos arent working)
dude_xyx
paulina wrote:
I like photography very much.
For me it's a kind of art, where you can show something or somebody, and you can show emotions (with good photo of course Wink )

I've got a simple camera - Canon PowerShot A460 and analogue Konica Minolta. But I'm carrying money to buy something better Wink for example Canon EOS 400 D or Nikon D3000.
But do you recommend something ? I'd like to buy digital camera, maybe not professional like Canon EOS 1Ds-Mark III or EOS 5D ;P

Well go for a Canon EOS 50D. Its new but not pricy as a 5D. Its a Good camera if you want to buy a professional DSLR Camera.
dude_xyx
I forgot to mention there is Canon 7D which is a good camera. I'm not sure the price of it but I guess it costs more than you would pay for a Canon 50D.
Ankhanu
If you also play an instrument, I made a thread in the music section to post photos of your instruments. I'd love to see what you play, and no one else over in the music forum seem to be contributing images :/

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-113955.html
andysart380
my hobbie for photography is taking off into a buisness.. i got hired this week to do a wedding im pumped... i really hope i dont screw it up. Any pointers for weddings?
dude_xyx
If you are new to wedding photography then better prepare for it. Extra batters and spare camera would be good. Also check famous wedding photographer sites and plan some good shots to take. Also remember to keep spare Memory cards. I guess you have DSLR and external flash to start with.
Animetallic
nice pics
jinz22
photography is not only considered as a hobby but it is also considered as a profession. I've had friends who actually want to be either marine photographer or just wild life photographer. I have a Canon EOS 7D - DIGITAL SLR. Its the latest one that i bought and its really great!!!

I do not want to be a photographer but its one of my hobby and its really fun.

(Tips: If a picture turns out to be bad or you dont like it, you can always photoshop it and make it look as realistic as it is and you dont have to be GREAT at photoshop either)
Crinoid
Guys and gals, how do you store your digital archives? Double copies on CDs?
By date or by topic? How frequently you use them several years later?
Any problems with files corruption as CD age or no?
rogue_skydragon
I'm looking to buy a Canon 5d Mark II to jumpstart my photography and video passions. It can shoot full HD...HD on a DSLR!
dude_xyx
rogue_skydragon wrote:
I'm looking to buy a Canon 5d Mark II to jumpstart my photography and video passions. It can shoot full HD...HD on a DSLR!

Canon 5d Mark camera is bit too expensive. over 1500 USD. I think i would happy with a Canon EOS 50D.
Ankhanu
Crinoid wrote:
Guys and gals, how do you store your digital archives? Double copies on CDs?
By date or by topic? How frequently you use them several years later?
Any problems with files corruption as CD age or no?

Two or three HDD backups. I find CD/DVD backups to be wasteful, both of time and plastic.
My folders are named YYMMDD-ShortDescriptionOfSet makes it very easy to find things. I used to go through and separate each set of shots into topics (ie. people, nature (then down to types of nature), but that was a lot of work and didn't keep track of when shots were taken, etc.
natilovesmike
I wanted to do photography as a hobby, but then I just didn;t have them time. I took a beginner;s course a few years ago and that was pretty good. I don't have a manual camera now though...so its hard to be creative with a digital camera, but I use it a lot.

If you want to do it all yourself, like the developing and everything...yeah...that would be expensive.
Ankhanu
natilovesmike wrote:
I wanted to do photography as a hobby, but then I just didn;t have them time. I took a beginner;s course a few years ago and that was pretty good. I don't have a manual camera now though...so its hard to be creative with a digital camera, but I use it a lot.

If you want to do it all yourself, like the developing and everything...yeah...that would be expensive.

Digital photography is no more limiting than film... in all but a couple uncommon artistic techniques, digital offers much greater flexibility, in fact. Just gotta be open minded.

Also, if you don't have time for photography... well, you're lying Razz I hadn't really used my camera in about 1-2 years because I "didn't have time"... until I decided to make the time to take at least one photo a day this year. It's amazing how easy it is to find 1-2 minutes to take some pictures in a day if you decide that it's something you want to do.
Voodoocat
Quote:
I think canon sx10is the best camera which let you do stuff like in DSLR cameras

There is another reason to use a Canon point and shoot digital camera: CHDK! CHDK is a Canon "hack" that gives the user DSLR control of the camera functions, but also allows scripting to automate the camera, allowing for ealy time-lapse shots, extended ISO and shutter speeds, motion detection, and lots more! CHDK is loaded on your memory card, not permanantly loaded to your camera.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

If you like macro photography, CHDK has a depth of field calculator, displays the subject to camera distance to help with sharp focusing, and will automatically move the focal plane during continuous shooting. This allows you to "stack" the pictures to increase the depth of field.

Here is an example taken with a point and shoot Canon SD600. Normally, the stamen are too far from the petals to be in focus, but I took 5 shots, then stacked them together with CombineZP (another freebie!)

dude_xyx
CHDK is must if you want to take some good photos from point and shoot cameras. I use CHDK with my Canon photoshot SX10 IS camera and I don't want to take photos without it now ! The best thing I like about CHDK is raw format ! Also it gives you more control over shutter speed and ISO.

I waiting for Canon SX20 CHDK which still in Beta. For SX10 there was a stable CHDK within few months and for SX20 it's taking way too long.

A nice photo Voodoocat. I didn't know about CombineZP. Going to check that out.
pscompanies
Photography is a fun hobby ... I'm just starting to get back into it. I got a entry level dSLR for christmas and a telephoto lens and I'm in for about $800 so far. An advanced point and shoot would cost quite a bit less and can take some nice pictures, and is a good camera to start with.
dude_xyx
pscompanies wrote:

Bad side of photography is, it's kind of a sink hole for money. When you are really into it you can't stop wanting and buying various accessories for your camera, doesn't matter you have a point and shoot or DSLR. Bigger the camera expensive everything is.

By the way, what's the camera you got ? A Canon Rebel ?
driftingfe3s
dude_xyx wrote:
pscompanies wrote:

Bad side of photography is, it's kind of a sink hole for money. When you are really into it you can't stop wanting and buying various accessories for your camera, doesn't matter you have a point and shoot or DSLR. Bigger the camera expensive everything is.

By the way, what's the camera you got ? A Canon Rebel ?

You said it. I have a Nikon D50 and all these new cameras and lenses look so nice! The Nikon d700 looks very tempting, especially because it has a full frame sensor. Since I'm a full time student right now, I don't have the money to put into getting a new body.
ajitha999
all these photo are very beautiful thanks to photograophaer
very nice photos Razz Razz Shocked Shocked Shocked
Voodoocat
I just bought a Canon Rebel XSI off craigslist. Here is a picture of a zinnia from my front deck.

dude_xyx
Very Colorful. Thanks for posting Voodoocat, did you use in built Flash or an External Flash ?
recked
Its one of the best hobbies out there. Well for the most part, getting the camera is the though part such as a DSLR because of its price range.
Voodoocat
Built in flash diffused through a paper towel.

Quote:
getting the camera is the though part such as a DSLR because of its price range.

Try one of the new Canon point and shoot cameras. If you download CHDK (free Very Happy ) you get all of the professional control of a DSLR (minus the interchangable lenses, of course!) without the price. You can shoot RAW, display the histogram onscreen, calculate depth of field, even automatically focus stack for great macro pictures!
Starrfoxx
I love photography. It's a hobby for me, but I would love to turn it into a profession or tie it in to subjects to paint later. I love traveling, but life has tied me down to one spot for awhile no thanks to the ball and chain called "the ex-wife". One day I hope to bust that dang chain and be free, so that I can pursue photography and painting.
dude_xyx
Voodoocat wrote:
Built in flash diffused through a paper towel.

Quote:
getting the camera is the though part such as a DSLR because of its price range.

Try one of the new Canon point and shoot cameras. If you download CHDK (free Very Happy ) you get all of the professional control of a DSLR (minus the interchangable lenses, of course!) without the price. You can shoot RAW, display the histogram onscreen, calculate depth of field, even automatically focus stack for great macro pictures!

Yep ! I have a Canon SX10 IS with CHDK and love it ! it has 560mm telephoto and 28 wide angle lens.

@ Starrfoxx : Hope you will able to get back your hobbies soon !
ricardo22
I do it as a hobby but I think that people who let it seriously is too cool Very Happy
nigam
Voodoocat wrote:
I just bought a Canon Rebel XSI off craigslist. Here is a picture of a zinnia from my front deck.

wow!!! this is soo cool dude!!! its very detailed....
c'tair
I wanna get into photography more seriously myself. I gotta save up for a camera, that's the first step I guess.

Right now I'm using my phone camera with special software which allows me to take HDR photos and it really helps with the quality of pictures. Hell, it's just a phone camera but a more professional friend was shocked by the quality of pictures it can take with the special software.

I would also really like to learn photography skills. Having the right equipment is one thing, but actually knowing how to us it is another. I'm not even talking about the technical side of things but about how to angle a shot, how to compose the picture itself to make it look like it's something more than a picture...
Ankhanu
c'tair wrote:
I would also really like to learn photography skills. Having the right equipment is one thing, but actually knowing how to us it is another. I'm not even talking about the technical side of things but about how to angle a shot, how to compose the picture itself to make it look like it's something more than a picture...

THIS is photography. The other technical aspects (i.e. aperture, shutter speed, white balance/film choice) all feed in to these ideas, and they are key. Without getting a feel for framing and telling a story in an image, the other technical skills are completely useless.

Framing and composition are things you can very easily work on with ANY camera, even your phone, without your HDR software. An interesting frame/composition will be interesting no matter what you shoot it with.
Pay attention to light and shadows.
Pay attention to the background.
Pay attention to where things fall within the frame.
Look at your subject from multiple angles, see how the light changes, how does the background change? Are there any hidden little aspects that you don't necessarily see from a "normal" perspective?

These are skills that you don't even need a camera to work on. The sooner you start paying attention to things, the sooner you'll have greater success when you bring a camera into the equation.

Once you add a camera in, paying attention to depth of field/focus is important, and this is where technical skills will come into play. Altering the aperture will alter the distance at which a point focuses; a low F number will have a shallow zone of focus, while a high F number will have a deeper zone in focus. Changing the aperture changes the amount of light reaching the sensor/film, determining how fast/slow the shutter has to be to get the right amount of light to get a good picture. Changing shutter speed will also change how motion is captured... the longer the shutter is open, the more motion will be captured in the form of blur.

I've probably said enough... but, any questions, ask Smile
deanhills
Amazing photo Vood. Feels almost as though one can touch it. Do you participate in photo competitions, as this one looks like great material for a competition?
Very Happy
Ryox
I do a little of Photography. But it's still a wonderful thing to have an hobby in this cause it's a wonderful thing for you in the career field.
dude_xyx
So what's type of camera do you have ? is it a DSLR ?
LittleBlackKitten
I do love photography! (Though I'm still learning!)

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

My page on facebook has the bulk of my photography:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ratchford-Photography/108139672549114

All comments are welcomed!
cameracowboy
Photography is awesome, I use a Sony alpha 200 with a 18-55mm lens , sometimes I will steal my wife's telephoto.

I find photography to be relaxing yet challenging, I started out with a simple point and shoot it was a Fuji fine pic camera, but the delay from when I would press the shutter button to when it took the picture was costing a lot of the action shots I wanted to take. I upgraded to an Olympus SLR camera, the picture quality was decent, but the body of the camera felt too small in my hands, and was fairly clunky. Then my wife surprised me with my current camera and I honestly have no complaints about it.

I think the hardest thing about photography is learning the techniques for different styles of shots, and then having the patience to get them right.
dude_xyx
Yup. For a long time I thought you need a great camera to take great photos. But since I got my first camera I realized what you need is a good imagination. If you have good eye and little creativity then still you can take cool photo with the limitations of normal point and shoot camera. Also this way a beginner learn limits of the camera he/she has and learn what they need from the next camera they are going to buy.
congra
i am not addicted to it but i both collect photos. every time i travel i would hold a camera with me .and let other visitors help me take photos. most of my photos are people,the scenery is less.
magnustoday
i'm right now learning how to use a DSLR using an entry level Canon camera. It's hard to self-study with just an e-book as your guide. I've learned that aperture-priority is the most used setting for any DSLR so I'll just use it more often. With regard to ISO, it is still not clear.
dude_xyx
magnustoday wrote:
i'm right now learning how to use a DSLR using an entry level Canon camera. It's hard to self-study with just an e-book as your guide. I've learned that aperture-priority is the most used setting for any DSLR so I'll just use it more often. With regard to ISO, it is still not clear.

ISO usually depends of lighting condition. Darker it gets u need to use a higher ISO but usually higher the ISO become photos become granny.
Ankhanu
Yup, ISO relates to "film speed", or how rapidly the chemicals on film would react to light, slower ISO, the longer you needed the shutter open to get an exposure, higher ISO reacts more quickly. Faster speeds means that the film doesn't react as evenly, and the image gets grainy. Same goes for digital.

Basically, unless film grain is a desired part of the image, use as low an ISO as you can given current light conditions, your subject and how steady the camera is. ISO and aperture settings determine how long you need your shutter open to get an exposure, keep them set where you can get your shot without blurriest due to motion (of the subject, or your hand).
alvarorojas4
I love the photography, I love to take photos... And really you don't need a good camera to do good things, just inspiration and dedication.. :3
dude_xyx
alvarorojas4 wrote:
I love the photography, I love to take photos... And really you don't need a good camera to do good things, just inspiration and dedication.. :3

Yep. I have seen great photos which were taken from camera phones. You just need to know good and bad points of your camera. My camera is not so great on distance photos but can take nice Marco photos. So that's where I focus.
alli2000
u surely have the talent. me? i just have the equipment, playing sometimes still cant fulfill my expectation, maybe need some time
dude_xyx
Well it take time to master the art of photography. You can read all articles and books but nothing like the experience you gain in field. You need to do it and understand everything. More you photograph things now you see creative things.
suzanstive
i am crazy for photography but i don't get time for photography but whenever i am getting time i do it and i really love to do it from bottom of my heart
Ankhanu
suzanstive wrote:
i am crazy for photography but i don't get time for photography but whenever i am getting time i do it and i really love to do it from bottom of my heart

Time can be an issue... but it's surprising how easy it is to find the time if you want to.

I took on one of those photo-a-day for a year projects last year and it made me pick up my camera every day. Before I started I always thought I never had the time to take photos, but, the project showed me that there's pretty much always time! You just have to shoot something... anything and it becomes easy to find a moment to snap something.

Give it a shot, just take a picture even if you don't think you have time... you'll likely find that you do Wink
mukesh
dude_xyx wrote:

yes dude

really photography is a good hobby. About one year make photography as a hobby when my camera was new but now my hobby is changed. Smile
mochipie
I do lots of photography too! It's super fun, and I love seeing how my friends react to my pictures because they hate me taking photos of them (I sound like a sadist, but I'm really not).

Really though, I think photography is so beautiful. And it actually helps me remember my experiences xD
magnustoday
i have a DSLR and i just bought a book on photography. it's hard to self-study.
Ankhanu
magnustoday wrote:
i have a DSLR and i just bought a book on photography. it's hard to self-study.

I would say self-study is really the only way to go.
Use the camera in manual mode, make adjustments, see the results. You'll catch on quick as to what happens when you change a setting.
dude_xyx
Yeah you can learn basics from good photography books but still lot need to be learn from taking photos in field. More photos you take faster you will learn. Also there are so many cool tutorials you can find from internet. Just Google and you will find more than enough tutorials.
LegendVPN
Since I was a child, I've wanted to be a model. You know, just to strike a pose. When I got older, I took photography classes in the university. I really loved it. I took basic and photojournalism.
Creative photography is something I really liked but Photojournalism really got me interested. There were times the professor wanted us to photograph a fire or a shootout. It was crazy! Still, it was fulfilling. So fulfilling. It felt like a paycheck to me. Very Happy Well, more than that.

Right now, I put a halt on this hobby of mine. I just couldn't afford the time. I have so many things to do. However, when I finally have the time, I'd like to go the countryside and do some landscape shots. that would be a first and I hope that would be a good first or better yet a great first. ;P
lilysc1
Photography is one of my favorite hobbies. I love going out on hikes and taking pictures
suitza
I am getting dragged into this hobby. Got my first DSLR Camera and I'm trying to learn photography everyday that i can become better in it. Smile I have blog about my "photography" and other pictures : http://jonseredix.blogspot.com/

But I think, someday I'm going to be good at photography. I hope so Smile
Ankhanu
suitza wrote:
I am getting dragged into this hobby. Got my first DSLR Camera and I'm trying to learn photography everyday that i can become better in it. Smile I have blog about my "photography" and other pictures : http://jonseredix.blogspot.com/

But I think, someday I'm going to be good at photography. I hope so Smile

You're off to a good start, and have a decent sense of composition (which in many ways is the most important part). Keep practicing and testing different ideas and your skills will improve!
LegendVPN
Photography can also be a way of expressing your emotions. It is just like poetry. Smile
codersfriend
yeah I like photography too Smile
Insanity
I just bought an expensive camera and I'm hoping to learn some more photography skills so that I can use it better.
Radar
I hope so. One day. When I have time and money that I'm not using on other things.
Hexes
dude_xyx wrote:
Yeah you can learn basics from good photography books but still lot need to be learn from taking photos in field. More photos you take faster you will learn. Also there are so many cool tutorials you can find from internet. Just Google and you will find more than enough tutorials.

I think that in case of photography practice is far more important than theory. I am planning to create a photoblog and save important moments from my life. By now I have more than 200 photos but it is pretty hard to make a good story from them. Probably I will share it only with family and closest friends but it is great practice and good fun at the same time. I have tried to read a book about photography but content was provided in a very boring way. After my short adventure with book i gave up reading and started to make photos Smile
dude_xyx
Hexes, Trying to learn whole thing from a book can be pretty boring. This has never worked for me either. What I do it start doing it and then find articles and details about problems I encounter. They I has my first camera it took me couple days to realize Auto mode is not enough. Then when I started messing with manual settings then I had to search information about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance and many more other things.

Then there were Macro photography. I remember searching articles and information about macro photography for days. Then I had posted so many questions in photography forums and learned a lot for those replies which were given by experienced photographers.
jajarvin
I've been photographing since childhood. I was 13 years old when I developed my first film.

Now the cameras are digital, so the development of the film may not be needed anymore.
dude_xyx
Still there are Instant cameras and Lemography cameras. Which still use 35mm film. It kind of slowly becoming a trend among teenagers.
rogue_skydragon
I bought a new Nikon d7000 a couple weeks ago with the intent of using it for its 1080p video primarily. I took it on a shoot last weekend, and I gotta say, it performs quite well Smile

I enjoy the fact that I can adjust my exposure manually in video mode. However, you constantly have to get out of live-view in order to adjust the aperture...a slight annoyance, but it's manageable.
limpands
Well, yeah for those who likes to take photos i guess. I don't enjoy it thought.
cheapseeker
hobby
mshafiq
i love photograpy.specially on the weekened i try to have my camera and enjoy the natural photography
dude_xyx
I haven't had time to do photography for a while. I used go on walks with my camera and take photos wildlife or nature. Birds , small animals, specially macro photos of small insects. I miss it !
Ankhanu
dude_xyx wrote:
I haven't had time to do photography for a while. I used go on walks with my camera and take photos wildlife or nature. Birds , small animals, specially macro photos of small insects. I miss it !

Same here. I've had my cameras languishing for a couple months, and really should change that.
dude_xyx
Have to find some inspiration for getting back to photography. Macro Photos take time but it's fun.
moncong
photography is a hobby, but now it also make some income for me.

now im working as wedding photography Very Happy
i live in Indonesia if you came here and need photo service can contact me too Embarassed
dalepeart
I started as a way of documenting things, then it became a hobby, then I got good at it. Now I'm starting to contribute to stock photo websites Very Happy
dalepeart
I started as a way of documenting things, then it became a hobby, then I got good at it. Now I'm starting to contribute to stock photo websites Very Happy
dalepeart
dude_xyx
moncong wrote:
photography is a hobby, but now it also make some income for me.
now im working as wedding photography Very Happy
i live in Indonesia if you came here and need photo service can contact me too Embarassed

I think Wedding photographer is pretty cool job. What's your main camera ? and do you have a web site with your wedding photos ?
matt_jeffries
yeah ya should get into photography, My flat mates got all the cases and stuff for taking shots of surfing. Its pretty cool....
jamesparker
Oh, Its a great choice... no doubt
mshafiq
I would definitely agree on that. Photography is such a nice hobby. The best thing I like about photography is the fact that you can enjoy it doesn't matter where you are. However, if you have a really nice camera and nice scenery then it becomes more enjoyable and fruitful. I do not have a really good camera but still I love to take pics whatever looks interesting to me. I try to take picture from a very different angle and perspective then other people do. May be it looks better if you take picture from a whole new different angle. You have to be very careful what angle would suite you the best. I am soon planning to take a DSLR camera though. I hope DSLR camera would really fulfill my desire to take professional and really nice photographs as they have better focus and exposure settings. I know for beginners like me it is difficult to learn these things but once I learn, it would be easier!
Good Luck with photography everyone Smile
dude_xyx
Now there is something called Lomography. It's total opposite of photography. Because in Lomography what's important is making everything unpredictable while in Photography it's all about taking a photo as you want.

Most of Lomo cameras are just cheap toy like cameras with fault and leaks. Because that's how you get unpredictable results. It's becoming popular among youths these days.
Gentid
The only thing I can say is buying a very good and professional webcamera. And then you can enjoy taking the photos. I think that a camera can be bought with a very good deal on ebay.com .
Nyasro
I love photography Smile