FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What caused the big bang?

cr3ativ3
What caused the big bang?
badai
as to "what caused it", we do not know yet. it took us more than a lifetime just to show that it did happen. we have just begun to work on "what happened". even that, we can only to simulate conditions milliseconds after it happened. we might never know beyond that since our very tool to predict what might happened breakdown before that. (see Penrose-Hawking singularity theorems).

we might just live happily and die rich rather than be bother with it.
Jinx
Some Gargantuan extra-dimensional being sneezed and the Universe has expanded from its nose - or that thing that we have no name for but which serves a similar function to a nose. And we are naught but bacteria living on one of those globules of extra-dimensional expectoration - and eventually the Universe will impact the Handkerchief and that will be the end of that.
cr3ativ3
Jinx wrote:
Some Gargantuan extra-dimensional being sneezed and the Universe has expanded from its nose - or that thing that we have no name for but which serves a similar function to a nose. And we are naught but bacteria living on one of those globules of extra-dimensional expectoration - and eventually the Universe will impact the Handkerchief and that will be the end of that.

I think this is the best explanation yet, im gonna go with it.
deanhills
cr3ativ3 wrote:
Jinx wrote:

Very creative! Agreed though. Since we were not there when it happened, everything is possible. Including that what we see may not be as real as we think it is.
DoctorBeaver
Jinx wrote:

Well I'm convinced Laughing

There are, though, some scientists who think that by studying the Cosmic Microwave Background more closely they may be able to see traces of what existed (if anything) before the Big Bang. Here is an article about it.
bloodrider
Sometime ago I've listened that the Big Bang was caused by the collision of anti-matter with matter... That's one of the theories Razz
Bikerman
bloodrider wrote:
Sometime ago I've listened that the Big Bang was caused by the collision of anti-matter with matter... That's one of the theories Razz

Er, no, it really isn't.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
cr3ativ3 wrote:
Jinx wrote:

Very creative!

Originally from Douglass Adams though.
Parkour_Jarrod
Okay well my theory is completely illogical its just something i use to convince both science and religion that they can work together, so here it it:

Now we all know that the big bang was a cluster of energy in a small area (smaller than a pinhead i believe it is said) and we all know that the human brain uses a high amount of energy, well this theory came about when i asked my friend a "what would you do if" question that went along the lines of:

If you had a choice between drowning in a cat of Mercury OR living for eternity with nothing; no clothes, food, drink, etc etc just yourself in a white room with edges and a roof you can never find, nothing but yourself in the room (like the matrix white room if you've seen it), what would you choose?

So he chose the white room and i asked why and his response was superb. He goes to me "I would sit down and workout ever single thing in the universe until i grow a 4 dimensional brain giving me the power to control them all then making my own universe in the room becoming god"

So my theory is that god exists and the big bang was the sudden realization that he had when he figured everything out using the energy of his brain to create the matter in the universe before going off to his own secluded corner of the universe and letting the rest do it own with the laws of physics and cosmology that we have today.

This would also explain why we can't find the edges of the universe, because god couldn't find the edges of his own little white room.
Bikerman
a) A cat of mercury? That is either extremely cruel or very kinky...
b) If God existed as pure energy before the BB then God exists outside the universe of spacetime that we know and therefore would not be 'within' it.
c) Why would sitting in a room allow you to develop a 4 dimensional brain?
d) What the heck IS a 4 dimensional brain?
Parkour_Jarrod
Bikerman wrote:
b) If God existed as pure energy before the BB then God exists outside the universe of spacetime that we know and therefore would not be 'within' it.

okay i see i made a typo Razz for:

a) i ment vat

and by the following i mean:

b) im confused as to what you mean
c) well because you have all eternity (you dont die) you can figure out and understand everything in the universe
d) a 4 dimensional brain is a brain that can understand every dimension and seeing as we have a three dimensional brain we can only fully comprehend three dimensions (xyz) but with a 4 dimensional brain you can understand every thing about every dimension (e.g. time you would understand everything about it like i said we didn't in the post yesterday about time travel) etc, so understanding everything about everything would give you presumably the fundamental power to control it because you would know how it all interweaves giving you the power to alter one thing to make something do something else to do something else, etc etc (sort of like weaving crossed with the chaos theory)

Okay i wont respond to what you put for a few hours kos im going to bed, g'night Smile
ocalhoun
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

c) well because you have all eternity (you dont die) you can figure out and understand everything in the universe

Could you really? You first need facts and observations to start from, and it would probably go a lot faster if you could test your theories occasionally.
cr3ativ3
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

okay i see i made a typo Razz for:

a) i ment vat

and by the following i mean:

b) im confused as to what you mean
d) a 4 dimensional brain is a brain that can understand every dimension and seeing as we have a three dimensional brain we can only fully comprehend three dimensions (xyz) but with a 4 dimensional brain you can understand every thing about every dimension (e.g. time you would understand everything about it like i said we didn't in the post yesterday about time travel) etc, so understanding everything about everything would give you presumably the fundamental power to control it because you would know how it all interweaves giving you the power to alter one thing to make something do something else to do something else, etc etc (sort of like weaving crossed with the chaos theory)

Okay i wont respond to what you put for a few hours kos im going to bed, g'night Smile

I can see 4 dimensions.
ocalhoun
cr3ativ3 wrote:

I can see 4 dimensions.

If 4 spatial, how?
If 3 spatial and one time, *yawn*
cr3ativ3
ocalhoun wrote:
cr3ativ3 wrote:

I can see 4 dimensions.

If 4 spatial, how?

I can see a clock in front of me....actually more toward the lower-right corner...Yes I can see time.
ocalhoun
cr3ativ3 wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
cr3ativ3 wrote:

I can see 4 dimensions.

If 4 spatial, how?

I can see a clock in front of me....actually more toward the lower-right corner...Yes I can see time.

Actually, I'd consider 'seeing' time as your memory of the past. Time would be unique in that it is the only dimension in which you can look only one direction, not two.
DoctorBeaver
Quote:
but with a 4 dimensional brain you can understand every thing about every dimension

What if there are more than 4 dimensions? String theory has 10 and SUGRA has 11.
cr3ativ3
DoctorBeaver wrote:
Quote:
but with a 4 dimensional brain you can understand every thing about every dimension

What if there are more than 4 dimensions? String theory has 10 and SUGRA has 11.

What is SUGRA?
DoctorBeaver
If time was created at the instant of the Big Bang then there was no time prior to it. That means the Big Bang did not occur in time at all. It must have been an event of zero duration. Or was time, like matter inside a black hole, somehow compessed into an infinite density?
cr3ativ3
DoctorBeaver wrote:
If time was created at the instant of the Big Bang then there was no time prior to it. That means the Big Bang did not occur in time at all. It must have been an event of zero duration. Or was time, like matter inside a black hole, somehow compessed into an infinite density?

Can you elaborate on how this is possible for us 3-dimensional beings, that can't comprehend such things.
supernova1987a
God caused big bang. [Ok, to those who want to reply to my post, i am not going to reply, no comments haha]
But I am pretty much sure its God who caused Big Bang, a personal god who can think and has his will power. Very Happy Very Happy
00hamster
We don't know for sure but their are many theory's out their...
DoctorBeaver
cr3ativ3 wrote:

What is SUGRA?

SUperGRAvity. It's a quantum field theory that combines supersymmetry with general relativity. However, 11d SUGRA has now been largely discredited.
DoctorBeaver
cr3ativ3 wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

Can you elaborate on how this is possible for us 3-dimensional beings, that can't comprehend such things.

My brain hurts just thinking about it. Trying to explain it will probably give me an aneurism. But I'll try.

The accepted Big Bang theory says that space and time were created at the instant of the Big Bang. Before that there was no space and no time. So, at it's inception, there was no time for the Big Bang to have happened in. Nor was there any space for it to have happened in. So where and when did it happen?

If the universe did begin from a point of zero size and infinite density, and space and time are linked as general relativity states, then it could follow that there was zero time as well as zero size. But if that point was infinitely dense, then time could also have been infinitely compressed. Like the energy in the singularity, time could have been in there just waiting to explode out. (Obviously it wouldn't literally have been waiting, but I couldn't think of any other way to phrase it)

Maybe, like space, time is expanding. We would have no way of knowing. All our measuring devices would be subject to expanding time; so a second would still be a second. Everything that happens would still take the same amount of measured time, we would still perceive the same amount of time having passed even though it had been stretched (expanded).
deanhills
DoctorBeaver wrote:
cr3ativ3 wrote:
DoctorBeaver wrote:

My brain hurts just thinking about it. Trying to explain it will probably give me an aneurism. But I'll try.

The accepted Big Bang theory says that space and time were created at the instant of the Big Bang. Before that there was no space and no time. So, at it's inception, there was no time for the Big Bang to have happened in. Nor was there any space for it to have happened in. So where and when did it happen?

If the universe did begin from a point of zero size and infinite density, and space and time are linked as general relativity states, then it could follow that there was zero time as well as zero size. But if that point was infinitely dense, then time could also have been infinitely compressed. Like the energy in the singularity, time could have been in there just waiting to explode out. (Obviously it wouldn't literally have been waiting, but I couldn't think of any other way to phrase it)

Maybe, like space, time is expanding. We would have no way of knowing. All our measuring devices would be subject to expanding time; so a second would still be a second. Everything that happens would still take the same amount of measured time, we would still perceive the same amount of time having passed even though it had been stretched (expanded).
The part that has always fascinated me during the explanation of the 6-day creation, was the separation of heaven and earth, as though there was not a heaven before. I don't think we could ever really perceive of something that was not in time, as of course all of our senses are fully grounded in time, and not even lots of time, just an infinitessimal fraction of the age of earth, not to mention the universe as that has been around before "time". Common sense says we will never come to an understanding of the creation/evolution of earth given our limited life span and senses.
Bikerman
I think you are confusing several different issues - 'creation' of the universe, 'creation' of the earth and evolution.
The latter two are pretty well understood.
DMacD
Right, we all know that the idea of the Big Bang starting from a point of infinite density, as many people above have already stated, is generally accepted. Then the question is, where did this matter come from?

The laws of physics state that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed. So therefore the BB material must've come from somewhere.

Scientists know that the universe is expanding, and it may continue to do so for the rest of time. But what if it stops expanding and starts to shrink? The common name for this theory is the Big Crunch (very inventive). When this happens, the universe collapses on itself, possibly in a massive black hole, or just because it wants to, and shrinks to a "zero point of infinite density".

Perhaps there was a universe before ours, and another before that one, and so on. Maybe we are locked in an everlasting cycle, with the end of one universe being the beginning of the next and at that exact moment in time and space where the universe cannot get any smalller.
DoctorBeaver
DMacD - Have you checked out Loop Quantum Gravity? That theory says that the universe would not re-contract to a singularity, but would "bounce" back into expansion before that point was reached.

It still doesn't address the issue of where everything came from to start with, though, and I doubt we will ever know that.