FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Upgrade to SuPHP?

cr3ativ3
Hello,

I was just wondering if its at all possible at some point to get the server(s) upgraded to run php as the owner of the files. This would not only make it easier to deal with writing to files in php, but also provide a heightened level of security to the systems.

I moved here from one of the more popular paid for hosts, which had SuPHP running on their cPanel servers, it was awesome because you didn't need to modify directory permissions to write to files as the default perms (644) and (755) allowed you to write files as they are being written by the user that owns those folders.

Let me know, maybe Bondings can drop a word 0.o

Kind Regards,
Aaron
mOrpheuS
cr3ativ3 wrote:
I was just wondering if its at all possible at some point to get the server(s) upgraded to run php as the owner of the files. This would not only make it easier to deal with writing to files in php, but also provide a heightened level of security to the systems.

I moved here from one of the more popular paid for hosts, which had SuPHP running on their cPanel servers, it was awesome because you didn't need to modify directory permissions to write to files as the default perms (644) and (755) allowed you to write files as they are being written by the user that owns those folders.

Those are the advantages.
There also are some disadvantages -
1. The server load increases as each php request requires suphp forking out an apache process and a PHP-CGI binary process - separately for each user. Apache mod-php can reuse same process across different users.
2. suPHP will break all existing scripts in their current state of permissions/ownership. suPHP requires any script being parsed to be owned by the corresponding user and doesn't like 666 for files or 777 for directories.

There are other limitations (although not related to the most commonly used features) of suPHP.

That said, before accounts were put on the server, I would definitely have voted suPHP.