FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best music player? Winamp/WinMediaPlayer/Songbird/Foobar2000

Which one is best?
Winamp
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
Windows Media Player
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Songbird
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Foobar2000
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Other
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 20

Kaseas
Which one is best? Not at just playing the file, but organizing your library, re-checking for new files/file updates, managing tags, downloading album art, etc.
David_Pardy
I've tried several over the years, but I always go back to Winamp.

Having the ISO standard EQ available is also a BIG plus! (check the waveout plugin settings).

As far as robustness is concerned, Winamp v2.95 was simply the best for a LONG time. I'm using a v5 release at the moment (can't remember what release exactly) and while it's a very good player, it's not *quite* as fast as the older version, and I still remember how Winamp 3 used to crash a lot. Winamp 5 was a vast improvement over 3 - they got everything right which they had gotten wrong.
AftershockVibe
Amarok!
http://amarok.kde.org/

Seriously, it kicks the pants off the opposition. Hopefully a new official release of Amarok 2 will be out soon, including a windows version =)
fladry
I like Windows media player. I think my player version is 11. Previous versions didnot look so attractive but this version is nice. I am not a very big music fan to make playlists and other services. I just use it to play some songs and videos and windows media player is fine for me.
nivinjoy
I have tried Winamp,Windows Media Player and many other players.. But in my personal opinion i feel Winamp is the best of all the players out there...!! It has got many equilizer settings and it has the support for many skins..!!

Hence i feel Winamp is the best out of all the media players...!!
snowboardalliance
I switched from Winamp to foobar2000 a while ago. Winamp used to hang for way too long (15-20s?) and I'm on a fast computer, foobar seems much lighter so it's way better when multitasking. That's my vote.
biljap
I like Winamp. It is small and just what I need, to handle playlists, leave program running in system try so that I can work without that window... Maybe change skin to something I like more and that’s it… Winamp. Smile
medesignz
I like WINAMP for live streaming media, but prefer WMP for MP3, WAVs and the like.
anakin_skyrunner
I use iTunes, though I don't even own an ipod or such (yes, there are still people on this planet who don't, do not look at me like this Razz)
medesignz
I dont have an ipod, but upload everything via itunes to my blackberry.

I'm very resourceful like that.

Do people who have bog-standard mp3 players refer to them as ipods anyways? Its becoming less of a brand and more of a particular object, dont you think?
anakin_skyrunner
medesignz wrote:
[...]Do people who have bog-standard mp3 players refer to them as ipods anyways? Its becoming less of a brand and more of a particular object, dont you think?

Hm, don't know.. When I say ipod I mean ipod, that's why I added "or such" Wink Generally, folk in Austria tends to differentiate between MP3 player and ipod.
tingkagol
nivinjoy wrote:
I have tried Winamp,Windows Media Player and many other players.. But in my personal opinion i feel Winamp is the best of all the players out there...!! It has got many equilizer settings and it has the support for many skins..!!

Hence i feel Winamp is the best out of all the media players...!!

...not to mention compatibility with last.fm. iLike is taking forever to make a plug-in for winamp though.

As for the performance difference between v 2.8 and v 5, I just switch to the classic skin (which is my favorite by the way) and there you have it - 'v2.8' performance.

I hate iTunes. But I'm forced to use it to sync my iPod for scrobbling to last.fm.
albuferque
None of them, I've been using VLC Player for a while and it's just amazing!

VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, DivX, MPEG-1, mp3, ogg, aac ...) as well as DVDs, Audio CDs VCDs, and various streaming protocols. You can see all its features here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html
jackill
foobar2000, for countless possibilities of customization Smile Check FooAva. I'm using this config, and it's amazing.
Maserman
jackill wrote:
foobar2000, for countless possibilities of customization Smile Check FooAva. I'm using this config, and it's amazing.

I also like foobar2000 for sound Smile
defecto
I think that AIMP2 Is one of the best music players... I can grab music from ipods and other devices and save them to my computer with this musicplayer. I think that is small and does not take up cpu power like some players.
also has a lot of features and work great.

http://www.aimp2.us/[/img]
dude_xyx
I used WinAMP, Media Player, VLC Player But I'm not happy with either of them. I'm looking for something better. VLC Player is great but not for songs. I ll try the AIMP2 and see how it is.
lethaltriad
I've only used Winamp and Windows Media Player and for my music I'm really not into fancy visualizations or plugins and i've been using winamp for years now as the first player I've heard of since mp3s came out. I use the classic free version as it uses very lil to no system resources and i'll tweak up the eq as I want it and use the Nucleo Alien Mind skin. Works perfect for my listening pleasure
Jaan
winamp. foobar is too hard to customize, and winamp can do the same things as foobar with plugins.

the biggie for me is automatic switching of output to my soundcard if i suddenly turn it on, and skipping 30 seconds forward and backward in a song
paulotlet
Winamp is awsome with those very usefull hotkeys, and WMP don't works in my poor PC. By the way I still rather winamp
Jean-Clod
It's true, winamp is really great. Personally, I think both iTunes and Songbird just correspond to what we need to organize a big library. Both are really simple to use, and songbird has a great +, the integrated web browser, and all the functionnalities that come with (automatic research of lyrics, etc)

For reading just a song, WMP is a good choice, you don't need to insert the song in the library whatsoever

WMP: fast, really fast for reading a song
iTunes/Songbird: great for managing big libraries

That's why I use the combo WMP/iTunes, I let WMP open automatically the file, and if I like it I add it to my iTunes library Laughing
leondevil
I love Window Media Player, but I also like winamp because it can change skin and create your own skin easily. Very Happy
ortphysics
I voted for Windows Media Player. Really useful and easy to use, and doesn't even need the installation of codecs in Windows 7. I also like Winamp since it has alot more features in comparison to WMP (music wise). But I really use both, this way I get the best out of two worlds.
deanhills
I like Windows Media Player. It has a nice feature for organizing my music by creating my own playlists. It is also effortless, no learning needed. Just right-click all the way. Smile
Peterssidan
I'm fine with a huge list with thousands of songs from top to bottom. When I was using windows I used winamp but on GNU/linux I prefer Audacious.