FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free Windows 7 Upgrades

Nick2008
Quote:

Report: Free Windows 7 upgrades to run until January 2010

Latest clue that Windows 7 will ship by Christmas, says analyst

By Eric Lai

February 11, 2009 (Computerworld) To encourage consumers to keep buying Windows Vista PCs this year despite Windows 7's looming release, Microsoft Corp. will give away free Windows 7 upgrades to people buying PCs with Windows Vista until as late as January 31 of next year, according to a report.

The report, from the Malaysian blog TechARP.com, which has called similar details correctly in the past, is another clue that Microsoft plans to release Windows 7 before year's end, said Matt Rosoff, an analyst with the independent research firm Directions on Microsoft.

Citing purported confidential memos from Microsoft, TechARP.com had earlier reported that the Windows 7 Upgrade Program will begin July 1 of this year.

That would mean that any Vista PCs purchased between then and January 31, 2010 are eligible for free upgrades to Windows 7.

TechARP reported today that those Windows 7 upgrade DVDs should be delivered by PC makers to customers by April 30, 2010. These dates are "open to change," TechARP reported.

Source: http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=609&pgno=0
tdossi
If this is true, then it is yes, with the sales of Vista have to wait. I'm still using XP Windowa very satisfied. Desert now I do not even understand why I should change.
Donutey
Ugh, I wish Microsoft wouldn't set release dates so confidently, what if they need an extra month, releasing it in Feb 2010? Release it when it is ready, not when the rebates you have given out are set to expire.
Fire Boar
Upgrade? Guys, don't fall for it. Upgrades fail about 50% of the time, and what are the chances that your new computer will have Windows 7 drivers for all its parts? Unlikely. Wait until it's actually out if you must jump on the Windows 7 bandwagon, that way you'll know for sure that all your parts will work and you'll get a better machine with hardware advancing as fast as it is now.
tdossi
Till present have become higher and higher the hardware anforderungen with every Upgrate. And the programmes run more and more slowly. What should be able to do Windows 7 what is not able to do Windows XP or Windows Vista?
mOrpheuS
Fire Boar wrote:
Upgrade? Guys, don't fall for it. Upgrades fail about 50% of the time, and what are the chances that your new computer will have Windows 7 drivers for all its parts? Unlikely.

Upgrades should work and drivers should be available.

But then again, I never had a problem with Vista either.
william
Eh, not worth it. Don't buy a computer now and plan to upgrade, just wait, unless you need a computer right now (I build it myself, so I guess this doesn't apply to me). And I guess I'm not a big fan of OEM installs, either.

Drivers shouldn't be a problem at all (above post). I have been running the Beta using Vista (and some XP) drivers with great success.
TrueFact
I have Windows 7 Beta as well, but it is still have lots of security issues as usual. For the drivers, yup they have more support than older versions of windows to the old hardware. I've tried installing Windows 7 on multiple machines with various hardware equipment and still didn't face any major problems with it.

The idea is, when the official Windows 7 is released, several factors will apply. One of these factors is, simply, data or file size. They may dump some drivers as they got old or to fix other problems.

So buying now and planning to upgrade to the official Windows 7 once it is released is really a bad idea.
mOrpheuS
TrueFact wrote:
I have Windows 7 Beta as well, but it is still have lots of security issues as usual.

Really ? what kind of issues have you come across ? Confused
Nolt
This is still not stable OS. You can be attacked by lot of viruses, seciurity issues etc. No one do not recommend to install 7 as primary system Smile Hopefully I did it on my laptop and nothing happens till now Smile
Agent ME
I'll probably update the Vista partition on my computer when Windows 7 is released if the update is free. That will probably be the only reason I'll see Windows 7 much. I'll probably set up another install in a VM just so I can test programs I write for windows 7 compatibility.
tdossi
One should have two operating systems. Old programmes will not run under Windows 7. I think XP for old programmes and Windows 7 for new programmes.
Starrfoxx
I agree, wait to buy a new system or upgrade once W7 has been around for awhile.
ForceRun
Windows 7 is great guys, I know Microsoft has screwed us all in the past, but Windows 7 is fine. I got the beta when it first came out, and now I'm running the Release Candidate 1 that just got released for free. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx So I'm running Windows 7.100 64bit and using for heavy gaming. Overall it seems about 10% faster than my old Vista install, the system is much cleaner. Really it is just what Vista should have been, as Vista was completely unusably for the first 6 month of it's life.

Now as far as buying a system goes I'm against buying systems any ways, i.e. Dell or HP. They load it up with crap ware and really slow down the system. If you do have one of those systems do a clean install of a fresh system, and you will gain a good amount of speed.

For anyone who wants to know more about the install of Windows 7, I wrote my experance of installing it on my page at: http://forcerun.frih.net/
Diablosblizz
I'd like to see a free upgrade, but I can't trust any sources that aren't from Microsoft themselves. I too am running Windows 7, it's amazing!

Quote:
Upgrade? Guys, don't fall for it. Upgrades fail about 50% of the time, and what are the chances that your new computer will have Windows 7 drivers for all its parts? Unlikely

Likely. I've been using it for several months, never had a problem with drivers. I installed it on a old XP machine and it never had any driver issues, heck it was the only one that came pre-loaded with every driver already installed. My laptop, on the other side, I just needed Touchpad drivers (touchpad works, but when I plug in my mouse I want my touchpad to turn off) and graphics drivers.
Arnie
tdossi wrote:
One should have two operating systems. Old programmes will not run under Windows 7. I think XP for old programmes and Windows 7 for new programmes.
Did you know some versions of Windows 7 ship with an XP compatibility mode? Not like the 95/98/NT/2000 compatibility mode of Windows XP, but an actual virtualisation of XP. Because of that it won't work on all processors though.
songwang
Does anybody know how to share a folder for local network in Windows 7?

I tried but it would not allow me to access that computer.
ForceRun
@songwang
Windows 7 uses the new Home group file-sharing system. It is a great idea which only works that I can see with an all Windows 7 network. Goto your network center panel, and disable Home group. Then turn off password protected sharing, unless you are willing to use the accounts on that computer to assign access. Then right click the folder you want to share, click Share this folder or the like. Add 'everyone' with read access, or read/write for full access. Then the folder should be good to go.

@Arnie
Correct Win 7 Ships with a free install of Virtual PC integrated into the system. So using it you will install in the Win XP virtual environment and start the App once. Then the App will show up in your Win 7 start menu like any other app, and will seem to run just like normal too. Should work with 100% of all apps as far as I can tell, not really for heavy hardware using app though like games.
bennysong
I heard it serve about only one year, I do not know how after that.
Starrfoxx
I've been using W7 64bit also, and I am really liking it. I have come across some old games that don't work, though.

XP Mode is a very limited version of MS Virtual PC 7 which has access to the Host system. You can't play games with it. Personally, you are better off downloading Virtual PC 7 and installing XP manually on it. This will give you a "sandbox" PC to play around with, and you won't have to worry about messing up your host.

Or you can get better virtualization such as VirtualBox or VMware.
tdossi
Hello. Does somebody have experience with Windows 7? Is he worthwhile changed? Or is XP or Unix better? I put the question to myself whether a change on Windows 7 is worthwhile.
sourojit
Am really happy to use windows 7.It supports lot things.The best feature is that it has many drivers bundled in it.
anakin_skyrunner
tdossi wrote:
Hello. Does somebody have experience with Windows 7? Is he worthwhile changed? Or is XP or Unix better? I put the question to myself whether a change on Windows 7 is worthwhile.

Simple answer: yes it is.
I hate working at school because we still have XP. I can't even imagine I had that OS for five years! Vista is a good update to XP, and 7 is a great update for Vista Wink
tdossi
I think, it is the best if one waits a little bit, and then buys a calculator with Windows 7. Then one is able certainly his daus functions. Then the manufacturer has already installed Windows 7. Also the components run.
sondosia
Many laptop makers are actually offering free Windows 7 upgrades for any laptop bought between last June and January. I know HP and Asus are, but I'm sure others are too. Somehow I trust that more than anything Microsoft says.
tdossi
Hello, new Windows 7 starter should be ideally for laptops. Substantially performanter as a VISTA.
deanhills
I'm still using Windows XP, and very happy with it. For me there would have to be very real benefits for changing to Windows 7. I'd rather wait until all its bugs have been sorted out, and all the drivers for hardware have been updated, i.e. my first problem would be to get my old scanner and printer to work with the new operating sofware, as perhaps Genius has not updated its drivers for example, etc. etc.

How good is Windows 7 for trying to get drivers for older equipment such as scanners and printers?
aningbo
I'm still using Windows XP, and very happy with it. For me there would have to be very real benefits for changing to Windows 7. I'd rather wait until all its bugs have been sorted out, and all the drivers for hardware have been updated, i.e. my first problem would be to get my old scanner and printer to work with the new operating sofware, as perhaps Genius has not updated its drivers for example, etc. etc.

How good is Windows 7 for trying to get drivers for older equipment such as scanners and printers?

yeah true. i'll wait as well untill its bugs and everything is sorted out. dont wanna waste my time away looking for things which are yet to be available. will stick to windows xp for now.
Nick2008
sondosia wrote:
Many laptop makers are actually offering free Windows 7 upgrades for any laptop bought between last June and January. I know HP and Asus are, but I'm sure others are too. Somehow I trust that more than anything Microsoft says.

Correct, it isn't Microsoft itself that's going to provide free updates (Microsoft will give it to the manufacturers), its the manufacturers. They do this so that PC sales won't stop because of vista, they need to sell all the computers they can before they become "outdated". Technology changes every few years, even less sometimes, in the case of a new windows OS.

Why aren't all manufacturers doing this? I don't know.
ForceRun
Pros for Windows 7:
Cleanest running system of windows ever
Runs great on old hardware.
All the advantages of Vista without some of the problems: smooth networking, cleaned up a lot of the back end system like installing drivers, and a bunch of little things.
Looks good, I got a high end system and like a desktop that doesn't look like Windows 95 Classic, and my older systems don't run all of the bells of Windows 7 but is look fine and run smoother than under Windows XP
Taskbar. Yes it is just like the Mac OS dock with out the Apple, but hey it works.
Vastly more secure than Windows XP not patched.
Less crap ware than Vista, basic install takes up very little of my resourses.
Best 64 bit Windows system that I have ran. XP 64 bit was a joke, Vista 64 bit was passable, Win7 64 bit just as supported as 32 bit and runs great.
tdossi
Then a change on Windows 7 is worthwhile. As far as I have belonged, no bigger problems resign with a change of Windows XP on Windows 7.
ProfessorY91
I just want to compliment a few users that have been relentlessly posting in this thread - thus far this thread has told me a lot more than the sticky (which was stickied too early and full of inane questions).

From what I'm reading, it seems like Windows 7 is basically worth your money to a certain extent - there are a lot of advantages, and I like having XP compatibility. I'm really hoping that its a fast OS though, and not so resource consuming. My laptop isn't particularly fast, but I'm running x64 Windows Vista on it... I'm hoping that it'll do a lot better with 64-bit Windows 7.

There was one user complaining about the relaxed UAC. Let me be frank, UAC is for dumbasses who refuse to learn what can and cannot harm their computer. I've turned it off for Vista, as I don't need repetitive dialog boxes confirming something that I need to do. If this is one of your so called "security holes" in Windows 7, then you belong on a Mac. Disgraceful.

As long as Avast! and Comodo work on Windows 7, I have no reason to be worried. That combination has yet to fail me.

What I'm looking for is speed and compatibility, couldn't care less about security or looks. It looks like I'm going to have to try this new OS out. I'm intrigued by the Home folder filesharing thing, as well as Virtual XP. I'm also a heavy gamer, and quite used to stripping down processes and overclocking to get a game to run. I'm glad to hear that I'll have fewer issues with Windows 7.

Can anyone answer the question as to what improvements have been made to the OS so that it doesn't tax system resources as much? Or is Win 7 just as hungry and bloated as Vista?
Bielhelm
Yes its true. Microsoft planned to have first a free update of vista, so the instable parts are running better. But the BUCKS did the thinking. So they thrown out Windows 7 and sell it for much more money then vista.
Nick2008
Looks like not everyone is eligible for free Windows 7 upgrades. It depends on your manufacturer and when you bought your Vista computer.

Looks like the top CEOs are at it again.

I'm still sticking to Vista, never buy an OS the day it comes out. I'll be waiting for SP1 at the minimum.

There have been a good amount of bugs reported, good news is they've been patched:

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/scrt/4390B51CB50DF398CC2576570076F3ED

Without a doubt we'll find more holes and vulnerabilities in the upcoming weeks. I will consider upgrading only after the majority of holes and vulnerabilities have been worked out.
tdossi
Advantages of Windows 7
There are clear contraindications to Windows 7 a few, the advantages predominate unambiguously. Nevertheless, the next Windows is not suited for anybody and not for every purpose: The innovations of Windows 7 mean for Vista users to nobody, for XP users low learning expenditure. That is: Many improvements catch the eye, and the application succeeds intuitively. Windows 7 brings native support for the newest hardware (biometrics, multiair). With problems with older hardware the Vista driver can help out almost everywhere.

In the rare cases of incompatible software you can mostly manage with Admininstrator rights or the problem Compatibility Wizard. Windows 7 is ready, quicker and more slender Windows Vista – an argument for everybody, the Vista optically attractive find, but shrink back from his defects. Compared with a Mac a Windows PC has the better price-performance ratio: A modern calculator with Windows 7 is more favorable and can keep up technically as optically. The XP users who reject Vista as well as Apples Mac and Linux have on a continuing basis no choice: Windows XP is an outlet model, Windows 7 the successor sure about future (with drivers, software, Hotfixes, updates).
shenyl
I have been promised of free upgrade when I bought my Acer computer in Sep 2009, but till date, there is no news from Acer nor MS on the free Vista to Win 7 upgrade.

I wonder if I have to approach anyone for this to happen?

Does anyone encountered similar situation?

I have use the official Win 7 beta, and glad to said that it is compatible in drivers of XP, and also most of the XP software.

This truly eliminates the resistance to upgrade, unlike the Vista which has lots of compatibility issues with XP.

As the previous message from tdossi
Quote:
In the rare cases of incompatible software you can mostly manage with Admininstrator rights or the problem Compatibility Wizard. Windows 7 is ready, quicker and more slender Windows Vista – an argument for everybody, the Vista optically attractive find, but shrink back from his defects.

Advice on free upgrade appreciated.