FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help

Noremac
Ok I've been looking for new books to read, but as they are so under advertised it's really hard to know whats worth reading. I'd like some advice or suggestions on what books to get or where to look in a book store, as I would like to avoid just getting random books in a genre and hoping for the best.

I'm into Psych-Thrillers, and books like that, my favorite book is the godfather and most Mario Puzo stuff but I've even read and enjoyed the Harry Potter series(HATE the movies) so I have no real restrictions, except that I'm probably not into romance, sex based yeah, but not romance.

Also I like biographies, "The Ice man" Chopper series, The damage done. etc

please help.

Also I'd go to a library but I like to collect books and movies that I like and I feel like its doing my part to the author.
j00gotpwnd
I don't know any psych thrillers, but Dan Brown writes good thriller novels. They are very fast paced an enjoyable. Whenever I pick up one of his books, it's hard for me to put down. Fantasy is my forte, so I will list a few of my favorites: The Name of the Wind (Seriously one of the best books I have ever read), A Game of Thrones, The Dragon Bone Chair, and the Briar King. Those are all epic fantasy, if you are at all interested.

Oh this came to me right before I submitted this. Try Snowcrash or Cryptonomicon. Snowcrash is a thriller about a virus taking over the futuristic internet called the Metaverse. Very awesome. Also, maybe some stuff by Stephen King? Hope you find something in there that peaks your interest. Good luck! (Oh and I also like to buy books. I don't even have a library membership in my current town haha)
Noremac
Yeah thanks heaps, I'll definately give Dan Brown a try, I've read the Davinci code and enjoyed it. I'm no stranger to fantasy I've read some old classics so I might give some of your suggestions a shot, I've read a lot of Stephen King stuff so I guess I'm looking for something a little different, and it's good to see someone who agrees with me about owning the books, I think I just don't like the idea of forgetting about a great story I've read, plus it'll be good for when I have kids some day.
j00gotpwnd
If you read the Davinci Code, and liked it, definitely read Angels and Demons. I actually prefer that one over DC. If by old classics you mean LOTR, you HAVE to give some of those a try. Some are better, if you can believe that Smile. Also, depending on how much you liked Harry Potter, give Dianna Wynne Jones' Crestomancy series a try. They are spectacular as well. I hope that when I can build a house, I will be able to have a room devoted to bookshelves. Right now a lot of mine are stacked on the shelves in my closest, so it is hard to find the titles I want! Let me know what you decide to pick up!
Noremac
Well today I went and picked up Angels and Demons, and I'm only a little way in, and completely enthralled. So now that I trust your taste, I'm gonna look on the internet and order one of those fantasy titles and the snowcrash book, as I don't think I've read anything like that before. If I like those, which I'm guessing I will, I'll get the others and I'll be happy to take any more suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

And I also picture a mini library in my house one day, perhaps shared with my office. Good luck to you.
ddukki
The Hound of the Baskervilles is a classic. Old school Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I remember it being very dark and might fit your mood, if you're looking for a thriller-type novel. If you're looking for something more recent, try the Black Dahlia. I haven't read it, but it's a classic as well. I'm not really into the mystery novels of today, but you can try Chricton.
Noremac
ddukki wrote:
The Hound of the Baskervilles is a classic. Old school Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I remember it being very dark and might fit your mood, if you're looking for a thriller-type novel. If you're looking for something more recent, try the Black Dahlia. I haven't read it, but it's a classic as well. I'm not really into the mystery novels of today, but you can try Chricton.

Will give that a go, thanks heaps.
j00gotpwnd
My last birthday, my sister got me the complete works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I haven't had a chance to read it, but I can't wait to!
Parkour_Jarrod
I would recommend "Warhead" by Andy Remic.

It is a truly brilliant book on the struggle for survival against the military's super-soldier a Human-Insect hybrid (The Nex) that realized that it was the upper race and attempted to over take the planet.

It is action packed and thrilling for any reader but probably not recommended for anyone younger than 14 as it has quiet a lot of swearing as you would expect from the last surviving rebels. As well as a graphically explained sex scene of two Nex releasing tension with each other.
Noremac
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

It is a truly brilliant book on the struggle for survival against the military's super-soldier a Human-Insect hybrid (The Nex) that realized that it was the upper race and attempted to over take the planet.

It is action packed and thrilling for any reader but probably not recommended for anyone younger than 14 as it has quiet a lot of swearing as you would expect from the last surviving rebels. As well as a graphically explained sex scene of two Nex releasing tension with each other.

lol well I'm just gonna have to give that a shot, I'm in a reading frenzy atm, and Nex sex sounds hot.
Parkour_Jarrod
Noremac wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

lol well I'm just gonna have to give that a shot, I'm in a reading frenzy atm, and Nex sex sounds hot.

Yes it's quiet graphic and slightly arousing Razz Laughing