FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Old Case New Mother Board

Possum
Hi

How do you put a new mother board in a computer..

What do you need to know.
coreymanshack
Well, the motherboard is the big hunk of board you see everything connected to.
It unscrews from the case, and you have to unplug all the things plugged in to it.
All you need to know is where things plug in, and usually certain things only plug into certain slots.

After you unscrew it, screw in your new motherboard.
Possum
Quote:
It unscrews from the case, and you have to unplug all the things plugged in to it.
All you need to know is where things plug in, and usually certain things only plug into certain slots.
That I sort of guessed..

Thx..I sort of guessed that

I have two computers.

Two different sizes

I thought there might be a site where you would get what sort of mother board your case could hold. If you old power supply would do..
'
Both computers are 5 years old..

One is a Compaq Presario the other has a Intel MB which I am investigating.

This is a long term project. As I want to buy new computer first. Then upgrade these two.
coreymanshack
Possum wrote:
Quote:
That I sort of guessed..

Thx..I sort of guessed that

I have two computers.

Two different sizes

I thought there might be a site where you would get what sort of mother board your case could hold. If you old power supply would do..
'
Both computers are 5 years old..

One is a Compaq Presario the other has a Intel MB which I am investigating.

This is a long term project. As I want to buy new computer first. Then upgrade these two.

OH, i don't know of any such site, but usually I just try to guess. Most places that sell mobos have the deminsions on the website, and if the deminsions will go in my case then it most likely will work.
David_Pardy
Motherboards conform to a certain set of dimensions and mounting points.

Basically, you have your Micro and mini-ATX size motherboards, and then your standard and bigger sized ATX motherboards.

A standard midi tower case will generally hold a standard sized motherboard with up to 5 or 6 expansion slots - eg. 3x PCI, 2x PCI-e16x, 1x PCI-e.

The easiest way to pick what size of motherboard a computer will take is by looking at how many slots are actually built into the case. The computer I'm working on the moment, for example, is a slightly longer midi tower with 7 expansion slot spaces.

ATX motherboards also have certain standard mounting points. You may simply need to move the mounting screws to different holes.
coreymanshack
David_Pardy wrote:
Motherboards conform to a certain set of dimensions and mounting points.

Basically, you have your Micro and mini-ATX size motherboards, and then your standard and bigger sized ATX motherboards.

A standard midi tower case will generally hold a standard sized motherboard with up to 5 or 6 expansion slots - eg. 3x PCI, 2x PCI-e16x, 1x PCI-e.

The easiest way to pick what size of motherboard a computer will take is by looking at how many slots are actually built into the case. The computer I'm working on the moment, for example, is a slightly longer midi tower with 7 expansion slot spaces.

ATX motherboards also have certain standard mounting points. You may simply need to move the mounting screws to different holes.

If your board will fit in the case but there aren't holes available, i have drilled holes myself before!
usually if your case is pretty big, it will hold just about any board.
ForceRun
Here a good little guide for the rest of you that I found on building your first system. http://lifehacker.com/5151369/the-first+timers-guide-to-building-a-computer-from-scratch