FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Do you think that age measures maturity?





fruitcakelyts
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?
deanhills
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?


What would your measure of maturity be? Why do you think you are more mature than some adults?
fruitcakelyts
I am not saying that I am more mature than ALL adults but I am saying that society sees adults as being totaly mature and I know some that cannot keep their cool, and do not handle themselves in a mature way. I am just pointing out the fault in the stereotype that all adults are mature and responsible and all teens and children need to be watched and kept in control.
Xaferrow
No, age doesnt always measure maturity.

well, if it in Biological terms, it does.

but, i think that maturity is measured by how do you behave, how do you respond other things, your emotion, your ego, and so on
jessicawalker
I don't think society has any "stereotypes" about all adults being mature. That's ridiculous.

And I don't think anybody who I would classify as mature would ever go in a forum and go on about how mature they really are.

I think "society" wants teens and children to be under adult supervision due to their lack of knowledge and experience, not necessarily maturity. You may feel very mature and under control, but you don't know as much as you think you do about life and living. In a few years, you'll look back on your 15-year-old self and marvel at how immature you really were.
fruitcakelyts
jessicawalker wrote:
I don't think society has any "stereotypes" about all adults being mature. That's ridiculous.

And I don't think anybody who I would classify as mature would ever go in a forum and go on about how mature they really are.

I think "society" wants teens and children to be under adult supervision due to their lack of knowledge and experience, not necessarily maturity. You may feel very mature and under control, but you don't know as much as you think you do about life and living. In a few years, you'll look back on your 15-year-old self and marvel at how immature you really were.



Unfortunately, you don't know me and you also don't know the experiences of every teenager in the world so you couldn't possibly know whether or not I am mature. And what you said about a mature person posting in forums about maturity makes no sense, and it would make you just as immature for posting in forums so I think you are very wrong here.
Parkour_Jarrod
I don't think that age measures maturity in the psychological sense sure it does in the biological sense but I'm 15 turning 16 in April and i find that just because of my age people think that I'm up to no good when all I'm doing is walking into a library to borrow some books.

Adults have a strange way of accusing teens for things that have been done when in actual fact its mainly the people in their early twenties that do most of the vandalism etc, etc.

Though i can see where some people are coming from with most of the MORONS that i have in my school alone but hey what can i do about it?

I just wish they would stop with the stereotypical assessments of teens before they get to know them, have a nice chat with them before judging if you can;t have a chat with them then don't judge them for being bad judge them as you would the average Adult.
fruitcakelyts
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I don't think that age measures maturity in the psychological sense sure it does in the biological sense but I'm 15 turning 16 in April and i find that just because of my age people think that I'm up to no good when all I'm doing is walking into a library to borrow some books.

Adults have a strange way of accusing teens for things that have been done when in actual fact its mainly the people in their early twenties that do most of the vandalism etc, etc.

Though i can see where some people are coming from with most of the MORONS that i have in my school alone but hey what can i do about it?

I just wish they would stop with the stereotypical assessments of teens before they get to know them, have a nice chat with them before judging if you can;t have a chat with them then don't judge them for being bad judge them as you would the average Adult.


Thank you, exactly. And I am a little offended by the fact that the person before you thinks that she can judge me and say That I am not mature. This forum topic is about teenagers in general. I think that it is a huge stereotype that adults look down on teenagers and watch them because they feel that they are going to do something bad.
jessicawalker
I never said you were immature, darling, as I do not know you and wouldn't know if you were or not. I'm sorry you didn't seem to comprehend my post and probably won't, only proving my point further.
fruitcakelyts
jessicawalker wrote:
I never said you were immature, darling, as I do not know you and wouldn't know if you were or not. I'm sorry you didn't seem to comprehend my post and probably won't, only proving my point further.


You said that a mature person would not post on a forum about being mature. Now, to me that is directly speaking about me. That makes sense and I do fully comprehend what you said. You don't need to insult my inteligence by treating me like I don't get what you are saying. That is not only rude, but immature. You should be able to express the way you feel without acting superior.
jessicawalker
First of all, I never said anything about myself. If you're feeling like I'm acting superior, that's seems to be a personal issue. And obviously you didn't fully comprehend my post because you took offense to me "judging" you're maturity, when that never occurred. And I also never insulted your general intelligence, just questioned how fully you comprehended my post. You seem to have major insecurities about your maturity and intelligence, hence this entire topic and the posts therein.
miacps
fruitcakelyts wrote:
Unfortunately, you don't know me and you also don't know the experiences of every teenager in the world so you couldn't possibly know whether or not I am mature.


You also haven't lived another five to ten years so how can you be so sure that you are as mature as you think? Wink

No offense intended.

Also, I have to agree with jessicawalker about the "adults are mature" stereotype. I don't think there are any adults out there that consider most other adults to be really mature. It's probably just a Child/Young teen view. My memory is a little hazy but when I was much younger I believe I had a similar view of most adults.
fruitcakelyts
Quote:
You also haven't lived another five to ten years so how can you be so sure that you are as mature as you think? Wink

No offense intended.

Also, I have to agree with jessicawalker about the "adults are mature" stereotype. I don't think there are any adults out there that consider most other adults to be really mature. It's probably just a Child/Young teen view. My memory is a little hazy but when I was much younger I believe I had a similar view of most adults.


Well the thing is that everyone has different experiences. And parents and adults always get the benefit of the doubt. If a teenager says that their parents are bad parents, the response will almost always be, "Well, all teenagers feel that way." That is a stereotype that covers the fact that most adults think that other adults are more mature than young people.[/quote]
deanhills
jessicawalker wrote:
I don't think society has any "stereotypes" about all adults being mature. That's ridiculous.

And I don't think anybody who I would classify as mature would ever go in a forum and go on about how mature they really are.

I think "society" wants teens and children to be under adult supervision due to their lack of knowledge and experience, not necessarily maturity. You may feel very mature and under control, but you don't know as much as you think you do about life and living. In a few years, you'll look back on your 15-year-old self and marvel at how immature you really were.


Well put. I totally agree, society does not have stereotypes of mature adults. Perhaps some teens do have stereotype vision of maturity of adults relative to how "cool" vs "uncool" the adults' behaviour is. Perhaps in a few years that perception may change radically.
j_f_k
absolutely not. I know many mature tennagers and many childish old folks. Maturity is a state of mind. everyone is born 'immature' and then people become mature - actually some people become mature. many never make it!
tocapa
Age is not the sole factor in maturity, but experience accounts for a lot. On the one hand, I have many younger friends who are vastly more mature than I am, although I personally am very immature for my age, but I know there are people out there are more immature even than I am (which I personally consider amazing).

And not to insult you personally, but you are hardly the first teenager to think that you are as mature as can possibly be (I speak from experience here), and even in a few years I guarantee you are going to look back on yourself with a negative eye. That being said, I don't think maturity is necessarily acting mature, and acting mature is a sure sign of immaturity. Again, not a slight against you personally, I would say such things to any teenager who came up to me with claims of maturity past his years.
fruitcakelyts
tocapa wrote:
Age is not the sole factor in maturity, but experience accounts for a lot. On the one hand, I have many younger friends who are vastly more mature than I am, although I personally am very immature for my age, but I know there are people out there are more immature even than I am (which I personally consider amazing).

And not to insult you personally, but you are hardly the first teenager to think that you are as mature as can possibly be (I speak from experience here), and even in a few years I guarantee you are going to look back on yourself with a negative eye. That being said, I don't think maturity is necessarily acting mature, and acting mature is a sure sign of immaturity. Again, not a slight against you personally, I would say such things to any teenager who came up to me with claims of maturity past his years.



I absolutely did not say I think I am as mature as I can possibly be, only that I am more mature than most people initialy assume because of my age.
tocapa
Well, my apologies, I misunderstood your statement; I guess I have my own prejudices against people your age already, given that I assumed you were making such a statement.
fruitcakelyts
tocapa wrote:
Well, my apologies, I misunderstood your statement; I guess I have my own prejudices against people your age already, given that I assumed you were making such a statement.


no worries, I only feel that in general teenagers are looked at as being irresponsible and dishonest. My post was not meant to be about me, just about the ideas that some adults have about teenagers in general.
tocapa
fruitcakelyts wrote:
no worries, I only feel that in general teenagers are looked at as being irresponsible and dishonest. My post was not meant to be about me, just about the ideas that some adults have about teenagers in general.


I actually agree with this, and I think it's a result of two things: Primarily, the fact that most media regarding teens is negative, and not necessarily because the media has a bias, but because stories about the irresponsibility of teens are more widespread and interesting than those that aren't. For example, take teen pregnancy. A story about a teen who didn't get pregnant is vastly less interesting than one who did, and so the latter gets noted and contributes to the popular perception of teens as immature and irresponsible.

The second is simply, again, experience. Adults remember what they were like as teens and how they thought they were mature but were wrong, and so when a teenager wants to be seen as mature, adults do not take them seriously. In a way, both of these are symptoms of the same problem, and that is the "one bad apple spoils the bunch" mentality in regards to groups of people. It isn't right to group all teenagers together because of a few immature ones.
hofodomo01
I'll accept that under normal circumstances, age gives a positive correlation with increased maturity with some range of deviations. You can find a really mature 14 year old, or an immature 22 year old, but pretty generally, older people = more mature.
mejo1900
I have to say I felt more mature at 12 then I do now (I am more mature now...but I understand I have a bit further to go). That being said...It does bother me that teenagers (I am 17) are thought of as generally immature. It is frustrating when there are certain laws (no driving until x age or no voting ) use these stereotypes. I know many people my age who know way more about the voting issues than many adults...yet it does not matter. I wish age stereotyping was not so allowable in society.
fruitcakelyts
mejo1900 wrote:
I have to say I felt more mature at 12 then I do now (I am more mature now...but I understand I have a bit further to go). That being said...It does bother me that teenagers (I am 17) are thought of as generally immature. It is frustrating when there are certain laws (no driving until x age or no voting ) use these stereotypes. I know many people my age who know way more about the voting issues than many adults...yet it does not matter. I wish age stereotyping was not so allowable in society.


Right, I agree. All the laws are based on age but it is a bad measure of maturity in many people.
apple
age does not measure maturity.....there are many adults who cannot handle simple situations cause they are not mature mentally....

I know someone who was forced to think beyond their age cause of the way they had to live. Parents split when she was 12 and she had to care for a younger sibling, do all the household chores and as the years passed, she had to get a job to support the younger one.
She has always had to think way beyond her years.

So it is more than possible for a younger person to be able to think about and handle issues/situations and make decisions that an older person cannot do.
fruitcakelyts
apple wrote:
age does not measure maturity.....there are many adults who cannot handle simple situations cause they are not mature mentally....

I know someone who was forced to think beyond their age cause of the way they had to live. Parents split when she was 12 and she had to care for a younger sibling, do all the household chores and as the years passed, she had to get a job to support the younger one.
She has always had to think way beyond her years.

So it is more than possible for a younger person to be able to think about and handle issues/situations and make decisions that an older person cannot do.


Agreed, situations mold you into the person you become.
mejo1900
The question then becomes..how do we measure maturity then? I mean if you should have to be a ceratin about of mature to drive, vote, drink, work etc. then how do we decide when you reach this point?
tchaunt
Honestly, I do not agree. Everyone matures in age, but very few people are mature. I am much more mature than a lot of 40-year-olds that I see. Are there people who are 40 that are more mature than me? Yes. Do I see them in my life? No.
Some people will mature in the way they act as they mature in age, but it isn't accurate judging maturity on nothing else besides age.
rockacola
I'm just wondering, what are some of the events that you have encountered, which make you realize you are more mature than others around your age?

I used to considered myself as mature as I live alone oversea for 10+ years, there's no fall back that allows me to say "well, I'll let my parent or someone else worry about it". I also tend to enjoy things that people in my age think it's so old school.

I start to think I'm other way around now since a few years back... Razz
kerryworkman
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?


I will say that I do agree that age is not necessarily a factor in ones maturity. However I will also say that the two usually go hand in hand. Maturity usually comes with life experiece which is hard to gain without having lived very long.
Triple_7
Age has nothing to do with maturity. Everyone has their childish moments from time to time. Its all a matter what your situation is.

At 21 I still have a lot of weight that life has put on my shoulders...stress filled days and long work hours, been this way since I was a kid, had to fend for myself and work for everything I own, had a full time job while I was still in high school and my job came first over homework. And many of the people I know are the same way.

So now if we all get a day off and go out for a night we might act a little immature...ok...sometimes very immature...but its our way of clearing our heads and having a good laugh in the process. Laughing I'll admit...every Walmart that's in a 30 mile radius hates to see us walk through the door...and we range from 21 to 25 in age d'oh! Local bartender always begs us to come in more often, and the local cops hated us back in our high school years and probably still do Laughing

But everyone has to let loose sometimes. I've seen some of the most down to earth, mature people I know do some of the craziest things on a Saturday night...and they are usually sober at the time d'oh!
Noremac
There's no denying that there are some adults who always believe they are more mature than any teenager regardless of life experiances or otherwise.

Many people do believe that their age reflects their maturity. But the truly mature people I've met in life are the ones who have been able to look past my age and see my maturity.

Still to this day, when I tell adults I was renting my own unit at 15 years of age, working two part time jobs to support this and going to school to complete year 12, they often do not believe me.

I am also now an officer in the airforce, I command and lead people twice my age.

Anyway, when you really are a mature person, it doesn't matter what other people think of you, how mature you are, you learn to be happy with your own measure of yourself and make that what really matters.

And one day if your lucky like me friend, you can prove to people that age has nothing to do with it. I'm sure some of my squadron of 50 adults didn't believe they would ever be commanded by a 19 year old.
shkhanal
In fact experience measures maturity. By the way age measures experience

.
mejo1900
Quote:
Anyway, when you really are a mature person, it doesn't matter what other people think of you, how mature you are, you learn to be happy with your own measure of yourself and make that what really matters.


That may be true for somethings, but not always. It does matter if people question your maturity because you are young if it effects your job and life. Yes, some may get to lead a squadron at a young age. But often people are blocked from a job because of age. Is that really fair?
Zombie
Age measure maturity to some degree... however this isn't true with everyone...
tchaunt
rockacola wrote:
I'm just wondering, what are some of the events that you have encountered, which make you realize you are more mature than others around your age?


If you're talking to me, here's a few:
-While other boys are sticking their hands down their pants (and I don't just mean their pants, I also mean their boxers) and smacking each other, I am trying to get away from them.
-Other boys in my class go around grabbing each others' crotches.
-I have friends who talk about girl's butts and how they want to stick certain things up them.
-And the list could go on.
While doing the things I mentioned above requires a sexual maturity (or should I say immaturity?), I think it is just flat out immature for people to do. I hear pretty much every boy in the high school talk/see them act like this, and I see many people in public act like this. It's probably just the fact that I've grown up in a religious family, but I think it is just flat out immature.
fruitcakelyts
Triple_7 wrote:
Age has nothing to do with maturity. Everyone has their childish moments from time to time. Its all a matter what your situation is.

At 21 I still have a lot of weight that life has put on my shoulders...stress filled days and long work hours, been this way since I was a kid, had to fend for myself and work for everything I own, had a full time job while I was still in high school and my job came first over homework. And many of the people I know are the same way.

So now if we all get a day off and go out for a night we might act a little immature...ok...sometimes very immature...but its our way of clearing our heads and having a good laugh in the process. Laughing I'll admit...every Walmart that's in a 30 mile radius hates to see us walk through the door...and we range from 21 to 25 in age d'oh! Local bartender always begs us to come in more often, and the local cops hated us back in our high school years and probably still do Laughing

But everyone has to let loose sometimes. I've seen some of the most down to earth, mature people I know do some of the craziest things on a Saturday night...and they are usually sober at the time d'oh!



EXACTLY, it is the stores and the cops. You get looked at and it is rediculous. My friend and I were in Right Aid once buying candy and three employees stoof at the end of the isle staring at us and when I asked if there was a problem they said teenagers were only allowed in select isles of the store. I mean, we were 13 and it was the CANDY isle. For real?
Parkour_Jarrod
fruitcakelyts wrote:
Triple_7 wrote:
Age has nothing to do with maturity. Everyone has their childish moments from time to time. Its all a matter what your situation is.

At 21 I still have a lot of weight that life has put on my shoulders...stress filled days and long work hours, been this way since I was a kid, had to fend for myself and work for everything I own, had a full time job while I was still in high school and my job came first over homework. And many of the people I know are the same way.

So now if we all get a day off and go out for a night we might act a little immature...ok...sometimes very immature...but its our way of clearing our heads and having a good laugh in the process. Laughing I'll admit...every Walmart that's in a 30 mile radius hates to see us walk through the door...and we range from 21 to 25 in age d'oh! Local bartender always begs us to come in more often, and the local cops hated us back in our high school years and probably still do Laughing

But everyone has to let loose sometimes. I've seen some of the most down to earth, mature people I know do some of the craziest things on a Saturday night...and they are usually sober at the time d'oh!



EXACTLY, it is the stores and the cops. You get looked at and it is rediculous. My friend and I were in Right Aid once buying candy and three employees stoof at the end of the isle staring at us and when I asked if there was a problem they said teenagers were only allowed in select isles of the store. I mean, we were 13 and it was the CANDY isle. For real?


Aye lassie (i feel scottish today) they probably thought you was stealin there canday so they decided to keep watch on yeh.
deanhills
Noremac wrote:
There's no denying that there are some adults who always believe they are more mature than any teenager regardless of life experiances or otherwise.

Many people do believe that their age reflects their maturity. But the truly mature people I've met in life are the ones who have been able to look past my age and see my maturity.

Still to this day, when I tell adults I was renting my own unit at 15 years of age, working two part time jobs to support this and going to school to complete year 12, they often do not believe me.

I am also now an officer in the airforce, I command and lead people twice my age.

Anyway, when you really are a mature person, it doesn't matter what other people think of you, how mature you are, you learn to be happy with your own measure of yourself and make that what really matters.

And one day if your lucky like me friend, you can prove to people that age has nothing to do with it. I'm sure some of my squadron of 50 adults didn't believe they would ever be commanded by a 19 year old.


Pretty awesome accomplishment! How would you define maturity? Perhaps a sense of purpose, knowing what you want, setting your own objectives, having faith in your own ability to accomplish those objectives, and building self-confidence once you have reached those objectives, or if you have failed in reaching an objective, the ability to reassess, regroup, set revised objectives ... that kind of thing?
roxys_art
No, age has nothing to do with it.

I think an individual's personality combined with his or her background (life experiences, life as a kid, family, etc.) determine the maturation level.
Fatality
I am going to have to agree with most of the posters on this, and that is that age is not a good guide to maturity level. I think that what happens to a person, thier enviroment growing up, how they were raised, and other factors play a pretty big role in developing a person. In the end these factors are what shape a person to be who they ar and how they act(maturity). I know that when I was younger( 15 or so) I was often mistaken for being much older(18 ) then I was. At times I can act pretty immature, but this is normally when I'm with friends. I know when to stop and show respect to people though. Age has been an indicator for most people and some, if not most, of the time it probably is pretty accurate. There are those cases where someone is far above the 'expected' maturity level and those cases where a person is below the 'expected' level. No one can say what level of maturity someone is at without meeting and knowing how the person acts.
rockacola
tchaunt wrote:
rockacola wrote:
I'm just wondering, what are some of the events that you have encountered, which make you realize you are more mature than others around your age?


If you're talking to me, here's a few:
-While other boys are sticking their hands down their pants (and I don't just mean their pants, I also mean their boxers) and smacking each other, I am trying to get away from them.
-Other boys in my class go around grabbing each others' crotches.
-I have friends who talk about girl's butts and how they want to stick certain things up them.
-And the list could go on.
While doing the things I mentioned above requires a sexual maturity (or should I say immaturity?), I think it is just flat out immature for people to do. I hear pretty much every boy in the high school talk/see them act like this, and I see many people in public act like this. It's probably just the fact that I've grown up in a religious family, but I think it is just flat out immature.


In the examples you mentioned about... I think you just simply hang out with wrong group of people Wink

I tend to think (which might not be the fact) that maturity come from what you do, rather then what you think. You can have opinions, but that doesn't make you grow (as much).

For example, lot of commuters in this website wants to be a web developer - discuss about webbie doesn't make you maturer than those who don't compare with those who are practising it. "Doing" things not only allows you to gain experience in the skill you perform, but this experience of acting make you grow maturity.
Arty
Not directly, but indirectly, because you sometimes need experience to be mature.
Noremac
deanhills wrote:


Pretty awesome accomplishment! How would you define maturity? Perhaps a sense of purpose, knowing what you want, setting your own objectives, having faith in your own ability to accomplish those objectives, and building self-confidence once you have reached those objectives, or if you have failed in reaching an objective, the ability to reassess, regroup, set revised objectives ... that kind of thing?


You phrased it exactly as I wanted to, but your much better than me with finding words.
I sympathise for all young people who are held back because of their age, fortunately in my career they measure maturity by all the things above and age has nothing to do with it.

But in the same token patience is something that takes a high level of maturity, and if you are held back because of your age, I guess there is no way around it but be patient until you can prove your maturity and prove these narrow minded people wrong. It's very frustrating but it will be worth it in the end.
Josso
I think that age tends to cause increased maturity but I don't think it's completely reliant upon that. Also (as already pointed out) maturity as a concept can't be defined accurately. I've had a lot of interesting experiences when growing up with maturity - some emotions and parts of my character were very mature for the age I was and to be honest was a bit of a mixed blessing. I had a pretty hard time at school because of it, I couldn't bare the large amount of ignorance that was around me and because I was "weird" or different I got bullied to a large extent. I think it really affected relationships as well, some of me was still a 14 year old kid but some parts were more like a college or university student - weird stuff... anyway yeah I don't think it's necessarily a good thing but it does help learning and common sense quite a bit. So for the relationship between maturity and age I think that it really does depend on the person. I'm 17 now by the way.
snowynight
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?

From what you say I am sure you are not mature at all.

by the way, being mature is not so important becaust sometimes childish is what we need in handling things not so important .
pll
From what I know, people put way more wight on age than maturity.
It's true, I'm 17 years old. And I work with a 25 years old guy at my part time job. I'm a this job since the summer and he is there since 2 months. My boss said to me that I should be the boss of this guy because I have more experience than him.

But he doesn't want me to be his boss just because I'm younger and (By the way) too immature.
I can't understand those people. Maturity doesn't come with how old you are. It comes with your life experience.
fx-trading-education
mejo1900 wrote:
I have to say I felt more mature at 12 then I do now (I am more mature now...but I understand I have a bit further to go). That being said...It does bother me that teenagers (I am 17) are thought of as generally immature. It is frustrating when there are certain laws (no driving until x age or no voting ) use these stereotypes. I know many people my age who know way more about the voting issues than many adults...yet it does not matter. I wish age stereotyping was not so allowable in society.


About the laws...
For driving you can see that young people have much more accidents in percentage and also that their accidents are much worst. Of course it is not only related to age but also because they are just starting to drive, but anyway age is a statistical factor (note that it is statistical and then individuals can be far from the average)
For politics it is also quite interesting. Very often people are quite much interested in politics from let's say 14-15 years old and discuss about that a lot and get a lot of information about it. Maybe much more than many adults. But the adults have a long experience in life that changes their view in politics. Many people have a different view on politics when they are 40 compare to what they thougt when they were 15 because they have been more confronted to the reality of life
fruitcakelyts
Quote:
From what you say I am sure you are not mature at all.

by the way, being mature is not so important becaust sometimes childish is what we need in handling things not so important .


Okay, well thanks for your uneducated opinion.
JorgeArroyo
Absolutely not. A person can be 12 years old, and be mature; as well as a person can be 21 years old, and be immature.
andredesignz
well no i don't think it does'
Noremac
snowynight wrote:
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?

From what you say I am sure you are not mature at all.

by the way, being mature is not so important becaust sometimes childish is what we need in handling things not so important .


ghandi?
Nameless
Quote:
Do you think that age measures maturity?

Hahahahaha, no. But in the majority of cases age can provide a reasonable estimate of maturity. (Of course, first you need to definite maturity anyway. Experiences aren't the same thing, although they do help immature people become mature this isn't always the case and some people are obviously mature in areas without having experienced the possibilities of those areas themselves.)
escritor
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?

The fact is that society itself is immature and irresponsible. You shouldn't care about what others say or think, because that's just pointless. Believe me, you'll become a very frustrated person if you don't stop thinking about such things now. Just be happy; you're among the world's elite.
ankitdatashn
No ways can it be said that age means maturity. I never take maturity as a physical aspect but as a mental one. There are chilren that aquire more knowledge than a old person, and it can be visa versa also. Having white hairs but do have some link with maturity as more a person thinks or pressure on his brain the more earlier he develops grey hair. So its a more deep aspect than what we can possibly think...
standready
Age has nothing to do with maturity. I have seen young people act very mature. I have seen old people act immature.
valadez
Definately not. Theres a forum I visit regularly and there is a 40+ year old there who thinks everything he says goes because "he's more mature and has more wisdom". Problem is he seems to be getting that heavily mixed up with being arrogant.
Noremac
valadez wrote:
Definately not. Theres a forum I visit regularly and there is a 40+ year old there who thinks everything he says goes because "he's more mature and has more wisdom". Problem is he seems to be getting that heavily mixed up with being arrogant.


And the fact that a lot of old people think the whole world owes them. (No offense to anyone, I'm sure you have nice grandparents")
Asap170
I belive it's can go both ways. As you get older you begin to achive more materia and standers, but it always isn't that way. If you a polite to people it'll show your maturaty. That is my philosophy.
Crinoid
No, I don't think that age and maturity are connected. I was just like you, and 15 was a peak of physical and mental capabilities.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I am, but be prepared to face some decline in following two decades, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Crystal sharpness on thinking becomes just clear thinking, forgetting to turn off coffee in time, few centimeters mistake in coordination once in few years - this is quite shocking for self esteem after being all powerful (I'm serious) in 15.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you or I can do for changing the way society sees age, gender, ethnic (and so on) groups right now. Just live your life the best you can and don't get discouraged. A lot of people are just like you or share your views and feelings.

With age may (and it is expected) come real life information and experience - as opposed to what is promoted by those, who benefits from that - but this greatly depends on possibilities (not mental or physical, more economical and legal). Some own and run real big companies in 15, some still going circles work-home, home-work, all the same again and again, decades after decades...
fruitcakelyts
Crinoid wrote:
No, I don't think that age and maturity are connected. I was just like you, and 15 was a peak of physical and mental capabilities.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I am, but be prepared to face some decline in following two decades, no matter how ridiculous it sounds. Crystal sharpness on thinking becomes just clear thinking, forgetting to turn off coffee in time, few centimeters mistake in coordination once in few years - this is quite shocking for self esteem after being all powerful (I'm serious) in 15.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you or I can do for changing the way society sees age, gender, ethnic (and so on) groups right now. Just live your life the best you can and don't get discouraged. A lot of people are just like you or share your views and feelings.

With age may (and it is expected) come real life information and experience - as opposed to what is promoted by those, who benefits from that - but this greatly depends on possibilities (not mental or physical, more economical and legal). Some own and run real big companies in 15, some still going circles work-home, home-work, all the same again and again, decades after decades...



Haha this made my day. I think that the peak of maturity comes at different ages for everyone. Some people are very mature and some are not. But anyway, I loved reading this!
ft09
I honestly beleive that age and maturity are in NO way connected. I myself have been both very silly at times aswell as extremely mature. I see otehr people my age and say "yes they have some growing up to do" but i also see adults and think why on earth are you acting so childish.

I think maturity has to do with the way you are brought up and the environment that you spend most of your time. If you are around "mature people" (and this is extremely subjective) then you will develop as mroe mature, if not...then you wont. Again, only my opinion!
valadez
From what I've seen lack of maturity seems to come from a strong desire for get attention when they couldn't do while being mature. Or just from being overly selfish.
Generally someone that doesn't respond to different circumstances or environments in an appropriate manner.
penwrite05
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?



i totally agree with you. I have a 33 year old brother who still acts like a 15 year old. and by the way my son is only 12 now, but he thinks like a 40 year old. so no! age does not have anything to do for being matured. It's all in the mind, it'll hit you whether you're 10 or when you're 50.


------------------------------
Luxury Vehicles
hamza1122
No, age doesn't really measure maturity all the time, because you hear a lot of people saying that people are acting immature. Well, now that i think about it, it does, because the reason people say you're immature is because their measuring your maturity based on your age.

Hah! i just contradicted my self. lol
Utopia GFR
I don't think age measures maturity as I did when I was much younger.

We all live in stereotypes and some of them like considering younger or older people like mature or immature without even spending some time together would be a bad move in positive socializing.

The way most people see maturity is through their own perception of life and it would be linked to educational and cultural purposes.

In my environment, I often see people classified as immature simply because they listen to a specific kind of music or enjoy watching (childish) TV shows whereas grown-ups wouldn't.

Breaking the age barrier and sharing the same space is not only a matter of being tolerant, it's just considering that the person you're talking with could enhance your own life experience with interesting insights.

That being said, I think that age maturity is definitely related to life experience, someone under age should not affirm that "he's done it all" Very Happy
lantyne
I DONT im 25 and i still think like a 16 year old girl which is not a good thing since all my friend already mature our conversations dont match that easy.
fruitcakelyts
Quote:
i totally agree with you. I have a 33 year old brother who still acts like a 15 year old. and by the way my son is only 12 now, but he thinks like a 40 year old. so no! age does not have anything to do for being matured. It's all in the mind, it'll hit you whether you're 10 or when you're 50. [quote/]

Exactly, and my family is filled with immature people who make bad decisions and I have learned through that how NOT to act.
invizibility
Ah! The teen days... I think its the adrenaline and the fact that one hasnt seen a lot during the teens. I guess its more of experience than age and age and exp are proportional. I've met young go getters that have travelled the world and seem more mature.

I
biljap
No, I don’t think that age measures maturity. After looking at so many examples around me I am sure that it age doesn’t really mean a lot. Take my example. For many years, ever since I know for myself, people where asking me why I’m so "serious" (comparing to other children, I guess). And later, people I met always told me that I behave more mature that other people of my age and that they are surprised because of that and that they like it.
I’m not sure I liked it, though. Being "serious" all of my life… Confused I think I would be happier if I could more… relaxed? when I was younger and enjoy with my friends. It would be nice that age really means something.
professour_x
I started to work when I was 18 I remember that I was the only one at home that had a job so it doesnt really matter
Melacos
The mere fact that teenagers would say that they're mature, just shows that they've got a long way to go. Important factors aren't really in place before reaching the 20s or so... Sure thing, much of this is definitely a social construction, but the way society is built today, would not work through some kind of equality among 'kids' and 'adults'.
Wanting to go back to the medieval style, treating children as 'small adults' moreover brings along other problems as well, and I would guess that the author of this topic would probably agree in not for example set the minimum age for people to go to prison to like the day they're born?
guissmo
Maybe society brand people over 18 or 21 as mature since they deem that most of these people have experienced stuff that require to be mature. So I don't think it's a stereotype, more of an estimate on which age is best for R18 stuff and all that.
fruitcakelyts
biljap wrote:
No, I don’t think that age measures maturity. After looking at so many examples around me I am sure that it age doesn’t really mean a lot. Take my example. For many years, ever since I know for myself, people where asking me why I’m so "serious" (comparing to other children, I guess). And later, people I met always told me that I behave more mature that other people of my age and that they are surprised because of that and that they like it.
I’m not sure I liked it, though. Being "serious" all of my life… Confused I think I would be happier if I could more… relaxed? when I was younger and enjoy with my friends. It would be nice that age really means something.


Yes, I have had the same experiences. Because of the way I grew up I never acted as a typical "child" as most people would call it. At least that is what many people told me.
PatTheGreat42
I would say generally, yes. In fact, almost all the time, age and maturity go together pretty well. I know there are some 15 year olds out there who have seen a lot of things in their day, and may be wizened beyond their years, but I tell you what, there are definitely some physical changes in the brain that lead to maturity, and I think you'll find that a mature 15 year old will still find some differences in the way they view the world when they're 20, 30, and 40.
sw0277
No I dont think being mature has much to do with your age at all. I think it depends on the actual person them self and how they were raised....
snowynight
No.
Some people of old age have a young heart.
While some young people will look old and boring.
TentativeChaos
I think that age is an alright rough guide to maturity, but it doesn't serve for anything other than for making split-second decisions about people you don't know.
raaeft1
Not necessarily so. Even a young kid can be even more mature than elders. So age does not matter. Maturity and wisdom are inborn qualities.They are not dependent on age.
[FuN]goku
I think to some degree, age can measure maturity, but it really depends. It's generally different for everyone. There are some people at my school in grade 11 who laugh at the stupidest little things.
For example, I was sitting on the bench quietly with my friend, playing on our Nintendo DS's, and this kid I know walked by (he's really obnoxious) and he yells down the hall "Look at these 2 just pumpin' the DS... just PUMPIN it." and then he did his pedophile-sounding laugh *shudder* Unfortunatly I had failed my english class last year, so I was stuck in his english class this year. But then there's also other students in grade 11 that are mature enough to be teaching a class.

So.. in some cases it can be linked to age... but not all the time.
goutha
At a certain degree, yes. Being mature at 20, is not the same thing than being mature at 30 or 40. But not all old people are mature.
andredesignz
age is nothing but a number
evilgeniuself
Technically speaking, age does measure maturity, since the definition of maturity is the "state or quality of full development", which an older person is closer to, in the physical sense. If you refer to maturity in actions, based on behavior, then age would not be a measure, although an older person is more likely to have more experience in a situation and have the capability of handling the situation better in most cases.
Zombie
Age doesn't necessarily measure maturity. I know a 13-year-old who acts much much more mature than a 21-year-old I know.
erlendhg
Without getting all philosophical about maturity, I would say no.
I know some 30 years old guys that do all crazy childish things.
But then, is that maturity?

This comes from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate that a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctual, and is not determined by one's age
stel4e
No, I don't think that age measures maturity... I am almost 26..... and I don't think I am ready for a child.. in fact... I feel like a child.... And I don't think that it's late to have your first child after 30... it may be harder... but you can do it if you really want it...
JBotAlan
I am currently 19 years old.

As a little kid, I _HATED_ being looked down upon because I was young. Nobody took me seriously just because I was legally a child. Now, here's an interesting segue that I didn't realize would happen, but it seems to fit so well...

Teachers conveyed that perception of a lack of maturity throughout high school. If I was in any kind of general education class, I was looked down upon as a child--one who needed to be prodded to do homework, one who needed to be reminded to study, one who would forget his lunch money at home and have to call mommy and have her bring it in.

And for the first little while, they were perfectly justified in their treatment. I was that kid.

But as time went on, I did mature. As I matured, I went into higher-level classes. I found that in classes specifically labeled as "advanced" or "honors," the teacher would treat the students as adults. After all, those advanced classes were supposed to be college-preparatory.

I took a general-ed class my senior year, and boy, was it a mistake! I was sitting in a crowd with students who had conversations about taking Adderall, and I was treated as a desk-drooling, excuse-making, class-cutting child, despite the fact that almost the entire class was comprised of seniors, and almost all of the seniors were legally adults.

Age is loosely correlated with maturity, but it isn't a hard-and-fast rule. If you want to feel mature, place yourself in a position to look mature. Take up leadership if you can. Do your homework. Take advanced classes.

And if you really feel like you need to prove yourself to someone, you probably aren't as mature as you think. This isn't a dis; rather, it is a statement that you have a long way to go. Don't sweat it. Enjoy life. You will get there! Just have some patience and keep doing the right thing!

Wow. I'm 19 and I feel wise. I'm not wise! Where did this post come from? *EEK!* I'm becoming an old man! *AAAAHHHH!!!*
deanhills
JBotAlan wrote:
I am currently 19 years old.

As a little kid, I _HATED_ being looked down upon because I was young. Nobody took me seriously just because I was legally a child. Now, here's an interesting segue that I didn't realize would happen, but it seems to fit so well...

Teachers conveyed that perception of a lack of maturity throughout high school. If I was in any kind of general education class, I was looked down upon as a child--one who needed to be prodded to do homework, one who needed to be reminded to study, one who would forget his lunch money at home and have to call mommy and have her bring it in.

And for the first little while, they were perfectly justified in their treatment. I was that kid.

But as time went on, I did mature. As I matured, I went into higher-level classes. I found that in classes specifically labeled as "advanced" or "honors," the teacher would treat the students as adults. After all, those advanced classes were supposed to be college-preparatory.

I took a general-ed class my senior year, and boy, was it a mistake! I was sitting in a crowd with students who had conversations about taking Adderall, and I was treated as a desk-drooling, excuse-making, class-cutting child, despite the fact that almost the entire class was comprised of seniors, and almost all of the seniors were legally adults.

Age is loosely correlated with maturity, but it isn't a hard-and-fast rule. If you want to feel mature, place yourself in a position to look mature. Take up leadership if you can. Do your homework. Take advanced classes.

And if you really feel like you need to prove yourself to someone, you probably aren't as mature as you think. This isn't a dis; rather, it is a statement that you have a long way to go. Don't sweat it. Enjoy life. You will get there! Just have some patience and keep doing the right thing!

Wow. I'm 19 and I feel wise. I'm not wise! Where did this post come from? *EEK!* I'm becoming an old man! *AAAAHHHH!!!*
Agreed. One can fake maturity easily. It is not whether you are mature that counts, but the perception that you are mature. Guess the longer you fake it, the more you will become mature Smile
carlospro7
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?



First of all, I think that by saying that you are more mature than most adults, makes you sound less mature.

I don't think age entirely measures maturity. You could be 15 and be more mature than a 16 year old, or as you think, most adults. However, I think maturity also comes from experience, and as a 15 year old, there is no way that you have experienced most things about the world and life. I think as you experience an event in life, whether a breakup, the loss of a family member, or a bad decision you make, you learn and grow as a person. The word mature, I guess, is kind of vague, so you'd have to define it before you can say who's more mature.
shrykull
I agree with the author of this topic. Age does not mean wisdom or experience. All depends on skills, education and will of an individual. This is a common mistake people do. We believe that older peiople with grey hair are wiser, better, holier and so on. This is not the case, though generaly there is some regularity that people need time to mature. But as in each rule there are exceptions and in this case there are many exceptions. That's at least my observation.
Regards,
Shrykull
ChaserTheWolf
I dont think that maturity is by age, because theres alot of people out there who like to hack and make viruses, that immaturity(well, i think it is).
valadez
Age is only one of the many many factors involved in the maturity of a person. If anyone were to suggest that age measures maturity then they would just be being ignorant.
pumpin
Simply put, age is never a function of maturity! Many at times we come across a younger person more matured then the older one. Wink
deanhills
pumpin wrote:
Simply put, age is never a function of maturity! Many at times we come across a younger person more matured then the older one. Wink
Or the other way round. I prefer the latter. Smile
TurtleShell
Anyone who knows my father could tell you that age and maturity are very separate and can be totally unrelated things. On the other hand, there's a direct correlation for most of us.
Greatking
age has nothing to do with maturity. i know a young man and his mind and way of thinking and his initiative and drive is awesom! he is only 24yrs and what he is doing equals that of a 40yrs old man. its amazing. it took a long time for me to know certian stuff and be able to do certain things that people younger than me are infact doing. its a beaty this age factor. its levels i think, levels of thinking and upbringing and personal habits. attitude and character plays a great role.
Omega-hotelomega
Not necessarily , some of the oldest people i've met are the most childish and petty Rolling Eyes
Subsonic Sound
If age were the sole measure of maturity, we wouldn't have a separate word for it.
bigt
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?


I don't either. Those <18 sometimes get it bad, but they are our future and have great, new ideas and perspective most of the time.
valadez
Subsonic Sound wrote:
If age were the sole measure of maturity, we wouldn't have a separate word for it.
That is very true.
skygaia
well.... usually ..... YES..
but as you know there is no rule with exception. so age couldn't absolutely represent maturity.
FrightKnight
Not really. Some people are more mature than people who are older than them. Well, perhaps age does some of the trick, but experience is the best teacher. So even though if you're 25 and you don't get to play basketball (for example) very often, then a 15 year old teen who plays basketball two to three times a week will be more mature than you are when it come to basketball. Same goes with life. But, yes. Age helps.... a little..

Cheers.
Greatking
age certianly does not mean much when it comes to maturity. i was 24 when i first got into a relationship. and there were a lot of stuff i did not know. i have a friend who started working at the age of 21, has his own apartment, is preparing to marry. he is 24 now. and i know a couple of young guys who are 24 and are students. they dont know jack about nothing yet they are of the same age as this friend of mine. maturity is in attitude, character and mental setting. i have realized that background and upbringing has nothing to do with it. its the way a person decides to see things. that does not mean u dont act childish once in a while. there is a child in every adult. life is fun. you can live it happily in a mature way or in a childish way the end always speaks for itself.
ProfessorY91
fruitcakelyts wrote:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
I don't think that age measures maturity in the psychological sense sure it does in the biological sense but I'm 15 turning 16 in April and i find that just because of my age people think that I'm up to no good when all I'm doing is walking into a library to borrow some books.

Adults have a strange way of accusing teens for things that have been done when in actual fact its mainly the people in their early twenties that do most of the vandalism etc, etc.

Though i can see where some people are coming from with most of the MORONS that i have in my school alone but hey what can i do about it?

I just wish they would stop with the stereotypical assessments of teens before they get to know them, have a nice chat with them before judging if you can;t have a chat with them then don't judge them for being bad judge them as you would the average Adult.


Thank you, exactly. And I am a little offended by the fact that the person before you thinks that she can judge me and say That I am not mature. This forum topic is about teenagers in general. I think that it is a huge stereotype that adults look down on teenagers and watch them because they feel that they are going to do something bad.


There are many examples of teenagers being mature. I was hired to teach college classes before I was even out of high school, at a state University, no less. Most adults, including my own parents sometimes will succumb to the stereotypical view of teenagers and young adults in general. What seems to be the norm is to always assume the worst will happen around this particular age group. When confronted with a perfectly rational and mature teenager, most adults will be hesitant in bestowing responsibility on them. That is the natural privilege for showing maturity, after all.
Donutey
Maturity is subjective.
ortie10
Maturity comes with experience. The older you are the more you have obviously lived. Why is the wise man referred to as the old wise man? When I was younger I thought I was mature but now I look back and see how I was not. There are a few factors that measure ones maturity and the brains development is one. Sorry youngins but if you’re under 24 certain parts of your brain have not fully developed yet so you cannot claim full adulthood. Its human anatomy and part of everyone’s natural growing pains.
goutha
I really don't think that age is related to maturity.

You'll always find people in their 40s 50s or even 60s acting like teenagers.

However, experience can develop maturity. I also think that maturity is a trait of personality.
deanhills
I'm quite allergic to the word "mature". It was usually a word my mother used to "approve" or "disapprove". So she would either say I was immature, when she did not like what I said or did, or I'm mature, when I said something she approved off, usually when it was a compliment or something. I guess the bottomline here is that maturity is always in the eye of the beholder, the one who judges the behaviour as either mature or immature. Somehow in this process "maturity" got lost to me in the meaning of "approval". Maturity has become something of people saying what other people usually approve off, and immaturity something where the person still has to learn a lot of lessons about life. Since I'm a rebel of a kind, by that definition, I prefer to be regarded as immature. The moment I get mature, I probably will be "over the hill" and ready to retire from life. There will be nothing to learn about life anymore. Twisted Evil
toasterintheoven
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?
wasn't it lil' bow wow who said age is just a numeric rep of one's immaturity?
deanhills
toasterintheoven wrote:
fruitcakelyts wrote:
I don't! I am 15 and I am more mature than most adults I know. I think that society puts way too much weight on age and there is a horrible stereotype about teenagers being immature and irresponsible. What do you think?
wasn't it lil' bow wow who said age is just a numeric rep of one's immaturity?
I guess that is why age only matters until you get into your twenties .... , once you are mature, you stop counting ... Laughing
Parkour_Jarrod
Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional
autumnleaf
It's very simple really.

I am 16. I am far more mature than i was at age 10. When i am 24, i will be more mature than i am now at age 16.

This DOES NOT MEAN that a 24 year old is more mature than me.
(even though the majority would be because im admittedly not a particularly mature person)
blackheart
I don't think that age necessarily determines maturity. However the older you are, the more time you've had to gather experiences - live, make mistakes, learn, reflect, listen, share - and be brought down to earth.

So it would make sense to me that as you age, you mature.

Perhaps some people mature faster than others, some people are presented with circumstances that force them to take life seriously at an earlier age, and this would explain some 15 year olds being more mature than some 35 year olds. However more likely, like me at 15, a lot of 15 year olds just like to think they're mature - because perhaps they are... in relation to their peers. Wink
deanhills
blackheart wrote:
However more likely, like me at 15, a lot of 15 year olds just like to think they're mature - because perhaps they are... in relation to their peers. Wink
Right, the frustrating years when we thought we had really good ideas, however were regarded not mature enough to realize them! Twisted Evil
snowboardalliance
Sure, maturity is based on age defined by the directional field of the integral of a/sqrt(x) dx
(Eh, I'm doing homework now, had to throw in some calculus)

I think people mature with age, but the time at which a person reaches mostly their full maturity varies by individual. Adults can be less mature than teens, but people do get more mature as they grow older.

And if you want to make generalizations, then yes, younger people are less mature than older people.
m-productions
Simple answer: no!

Oh to often has this been proven. For example, when playing WoW (an online game) I have found some of the nicest, most genourious and mature players I have ever found, only to find out they are only 15-16 ...ect.

At the same time, Youll find harsh people, acting like idiots in channels...ect..ect, only to find out there 25+.


Age means nothing at all. Its all about how the child is raised on how "mature" they will be along with who the hang out with.
Related topics
Favourite game? (OFFICIAL THREAD)
Lemme ' Guess u'r age
Old age memory
Authors that don't suck.
S|ex At Undermaturity
Drinking Age
Does age matters in relationship?
Paraphilia
Lowering the age limit for Drivering
Net or Sex ????
Babies Education
Idade mede maturidade?
Don't No What To Do?
Emotional, Social and Intellectual maturity and evolution
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.