FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Battle for Agincourt

noidea
How many people would class this as the best battle in English history?
England severly outnumbered and outclassed beat the French (highly due to their skilled longbow and weather conditions)
deanhills
noidea wrote:
How many people would class this as the best battle in English history?
England severly outnumbered and outclassed beat the French (highly due to their skilled longbow and weather conditions)

It is not a battle I am familiar with. Can you tell us a little more about it? Where, when, how, etc.?
amgoodwater
I'm not an expert on English battles, but the English definitely decimated the French at Agincourt. By the standards of the day, they fought dirty with their longbows while the French stuck to their code of chivalry. Shakespeare's Henry IV gives an interesting account (although completely pro-English of course) of the battle. Lawrence Olivier produced a film version around another difficult time for England (WWII) and it is very pro-English also. The Kenneth Branagh version is also very good.
amgoodwater
Ooops--the play was Henry V.
ptfrances
If I remember well, Augincourt is in north of France and it's a really small village. This battle is not really famous in France because it's quite old now.
Bikerman
ptfrances wrote:
If I remember well, Augincourt is in north of France and it's a really small village. This battle is not really famous in France because it's quite old now.

LOL...I think not. The reason it is not famous in France is because they lost. Joan of Arc dates from the same period - is she famous in France?

PS - one interesting aside - the 'V sign' (two fingers raised as an insult) originated at this battle. The Welsh archers used it as a symbol of defiance (the French said that they would cut-off the fingers of the archers after they won the battle - the archers showed the fingers as a gesture of defiance).
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
ptfrances wrote:

LOL...I think not. The reason it is not famous in France is because they lost. Joan of Arc dates from the same period - is she famous in France?

PS - one interesting aside - the 'V sign' (two fingers raised as an insult) originated at this battle. The Welsh archers used it as a symbol of defiance (the French said that they would cut-off the fingers of the archers after they won the battle - the archers showed the fingers as a gesture of defiance).

This was an awesome posting Chris. I especially liked the part about the two fingers! I'm of course crazy about the Welsh too. But can just imagine them showing those fingers to the French. Nothing like winning a battle by rattling the French with V-signs Smile Would have imagined this would have made a very good British movie with lots of good humour? Perhaps there is one already?
manlear
Well your posting have yet to explain when the battle occured and why?
amgoodwater
This battle took place during the 100 Years War. The French and English were battling over the French throne. Henry V claimed to be the rightful heir (these people were all inbred and related to one another). The French did not recognize Henry's claim and so they fought. The French clung to their chivalry as the English slaughtered them with their longbows.
manlear
So who ended up winning this war?
amgoodwater
The British won the Battle of Agincourt, but I believe the French won the 100 Years War, in part thanks to Joan of Arc.

Does anyone out there have any good book recommendations for the 100 Years War?