FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

ntoskrnl.exe missing/corrupt HELP PLEASE

Parkour_Jarrod
Okay what happened is i was trying to edit my boot-up screen and well, i stuffed it up.

I'm running windows XP i have two hard-drive right one that im on now (Has NONE of my files or anything) and my other (the one i stuffed up) now this drive im on is D:/ drive the one i stuffed up is E:/ drive, C:/ drive is some segmented drive from E:/ drive that came with the hard-drive...

What i want to do:
I want to either Get ntoskrnl.exe working OR Get all my files from my other hard-drive.

Problems!:

All my files are non-accessible because of the password that i set on my other hard-drive so it comes up with HOW CAN I BYPASS THIS?

And i have tried copying and pasting this XP's current ntoskrnl.exe to the other didn't work

i tried using the XP disk and going
Code:
EXPAND j:\1386\ntoskrnl.ex_ e:\windows\system32

and it didn't work Ive also tried using the disk to use its own automated repair system (deletes all files of windows and re installs them)

HOW CAN IT BE FIXED??

I just want to get my photos (haven't been backed up) and music etc, etc back (especially my book(novel) & school stuffs)
AftershockVibe
Are you using the same username and password combination in the other windows install to try and access the files?

If I remember correctly, the access properties are stored on the disk and for NTFS on XP the access is only tied to the username and password.

EDIT: Sorry. Actually if you look here it looks like you may be out of luck unless you can get the old windows install to boot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encrypting_File_System#Recovery Sad

Are you sure that your bootloader is now definitely trying to boot from the correct HDD?By the looks of it, it is looking in the wrong place (so it's "missing") rather than corrupt. Which bootloader are you using btw?
Parkour_Jarrod
I'm not sure what boot loader I'm using, how do i check?

and im sure that there is a way that i can hack my own computer to get the files back. I NEED MY FILES Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
AftershockVibe
If you don't know then you'll be using windows XP's bootloader. A way to fix it may be to boot from an install cd, select recovery mode then run a program from the command line.

It's either called "fixboot" or "bootfix", I can't remember which. It's not the greatest program in the world but it should at least search your disks for valid windows installations and set up your boot loader appropriately.
Parkour_Jarrod
AftershockVibe wrote:
If you don't know then you'll be using windows XP's bootloader. A way to fix it may be to boot from an install cd, select recovery mode then run a program from the command line.

It's either called "fixboot" or "bootfix", I can't remember which. It's not the greatest program in the world but it should at least search your disks for valid windows installations and set up your boot loader appropriately.

Oh that, ive done that still hasn't fixed, its pissing me off. I think whats happening is its trying to boot from a segmented part of my HDD so all i need to do is delete that and it'll be all good, how do i do that?
sonam
Did you try F8 (sometimes F12). Reboot your computer and keep pressed F8 as long as you didn't get list of different solutions what your computer can try. Chose "Last known good configuration" or something like that and press enter. Maybe this will bring back your old windows.

Sonam
Parkour_Jarrod
sonam wrote:
Did you try F8 (sometimes F12). Reboot your computer and keep pressed F8 as long as you didn't get list of different solutions what your computer can try. Chose "Last known good configuration" or something like that and press enter. Maybe this will bring back your old windows.

Sonam

Ive tried that to no avail, Ive basically tried everything so now i just want to get my files back, so i need someone to tall me how to hack my own HDD
Parkour_Jarrod
Still need help, how can i hack my own HDD?? do i make a worm or something to get in there?
FunDa
AftershockVibe wrote:

fixmbr

for fixing Master Boot Records.

Did u try it ? Any luck ?
internetjobs
boot your PC with third party tool like Hiran Boot CD or winternal.. Winternal allow you to copy your files to an another networked PC