FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Static shock speaker damage?

Magicman
I have iPod speakers which I recently accidentally shocked with static electricity while going to change the song on my iPod. Now the power indicator light won't go off. I can still turn the power on and off but the indicator light stays on as long as the unit is plugged in. Is is possible that I damaged the circuitry that controls that light and is it likely that there is an easy way to fix it?
Jaan
Do you really need the light?

Do the speakers work perfect otherwise?

Think of it this way - if the light doesn't work you are actually using less power and thus saving power and the planet at once! Fantastic!
AftershockVibe
Sounds more like a short circuit rather than damage from static. If you have access to the circuitry then you could check that nothing is bridging connections where it shouldn't.
Magicman
Jaan wrote:
Do you really need the light?

Do the speakers work perfect otherwise?

Think of it this way - if the light doesn't work you are actually using less power and thus saving power and the planet at once! Fantastic!

No I don't need the light and as far as I know, the speakers work perfectly. However, the point is that the light stays on and therefore actually uses more power (although considering its a single LED, the increased power use is basically inconsequential).
froginabox
I would agree with an above poster that it is probably a short somewhere. If you're handy with electronics you could probably open it up and look for a shorted circuit board trace or whatnot...
internetjobs
try serviceing it and check your luck Smile
weableandbob
Static shouldn't have done much, and if it's just the light, you could just leave it alone as long as everything else works fine.