FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Truly amazing-robotic camera at 1,474 megapixel (Must see)

Faraz
This is a photo from the 2009 Inauguration, In which you can see IN FOCUS the face of almost each individual in the crowd!!!

You can scan, double click and zoom to any section of the crowd. . . wait a few seconds. . . and the focus adjusts.

The picture was taken with a robotic camera at 1,474 megapixel. (295 times the standard 5 megapixel camera)

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee899496648c2b4b06233c
Xanatos
If only google earth had this kind of resolution power. I'm presuming that this camera is really really expensive?
ProfessorY91
Nice find. I have to say that this was making its way around through email forwards a while back. Pretty amazing though.
roxys_art
Wow. The quality of the picture is ridiculously good. Crazy that you can zoom in on individual faces!

I need to get one of these? Where are they sold? Wink
Mrs Lycos
Yeah so good quality =O i want a camera like that xD
miacps
Anyone else spot the guy with a big morphed head?

Hint: He's in the tallest stand slightly left from middle.
hamza1122
OMG! that is a sick camera. I wish i could have that =[ Interesting post. Thanks for sharing it with everyone man!
[FuN]goku
All i have to say is: WOW.
Nick2008
Wow, this is an awesome find. Thank you for the link.
Vladalf
That's amazing, though if I had the chance to get it I don't actually know what would I use it for.
Vladk
PennyLane
I want it I want it!!!!!
So funny that everybody wears a thick coat and Obama just stands there in his suit Smile
CosmicDisturbance
I saw that a while ago. It's really awesome, but it's a little scary too.

I also like this gigapixel picture:

http://www.docbert.org/ChicagoByNight/
Ghost900
miacps wrote:

This guy?

He is messed up, seems the camera messed a few things up but still a clear image that is large so its still pretty cool.

That is a lot of pixels. Very Happy
watersoul
Wow, thats pretty amazing, although I'm wondering how long it is before the UK authorities get these in regular use with our huge snooping CCTV systems?! ...not long probably!

Rolling Eyes
Arty
That's amazing! But how does it work? It's supposed to be an extension of the camera or something...
lagoon
Now that is just crazy...

15,000 or so?
miacps
Ghost900 wrote:
miacps wrote:

This guy?

He is messed up, seems the camera messed a few things up but still a clear image that is large so its still pretty cool.

Nope, but nice job! I didn't see that one the first time around.

The guy with the big morphed head is up on the balcony behind Obama and directly under the 21 star left flag.
Magicman
You can also see in that image that Aretha Franklin appears to have two chins, one of which has a beard. Also, the man in front of her has no head but instead is just a floating hat.

This picture is amazing though, even though it does have those slight errors. A few missed pixels out of so many is not bad at all.
keane
Wow! That's an awesome camera!
mathiaus
It's just several pics stuck together. Not quite as impressive as it first seems but still very good!
Ghost900
miacps wrote:
Ghost900 wrote:
miacps wrote:

This guy?

IMAGE (Removed for space)

Nope, but nice job! I didn't see that one the first time around.

The guy with the big morphed head is up on the balcony behind Obama and directly under the 21 star left flag.

I see him now, while I was looking for him I found a lady with three legs and other odd features.

She is behind the band below Obama, and she is wearing a purple jacket and standing. Very Happy

Its like "Find Whats Wrong In This Image" thing. Smile

Seems that Gigapan makes a Photo Stitch Machine that allows any normal camera to take large images, so the Subject Line is incorrect as it is not really that many pixels from a camera.
SpellcasterDX
Very nice. Good quality pics.
Nick2008
Haha!

Those looking for the attachment, it's here:
http://gigapansystems.com/system-page.html
Diablosblizz
Anybody found the guy with four arms? He's in the technical tent.
Kaseas
Wow! I wonder how big the sensor is.
j_f_k
I guess when CCTV cameras all have this resolution we'll almost wipe out crime of any sort.
SpellcasterDX
Diablosblizz wrote:
Anybody found the guy with four arms? He's in the technical tent.

Yep I found him. Just outside the tent and to the right there's a lady with a messed up head. lol
coolclay
I have to wonder though if the actual sensor array is 1,474 megapixels or if it's just a bunch of sensor arrays that takes a simultaneous photo and digitally combines them all together because I don't think a camera with a single sensor array exists with that many pixels. That would also explain the few discrepancies in the photo. Interesting stuff though.
CosmicDisturbance
I think the errors are because the photo must of taken a while to take, and people would of moved in that time.... Either way it's an amazing photo.
Hogwarts
You know what'd be absolutely awesome beyond measure? If somebody dressed as Wally and hid somewhere in there Very Happy
Josso
Xanatos wrote:
If only google earth had this kind of resolution power. I'm presuming that this camera is really really expensive?

If you think about it, the satellites used with google earth are taken from such a distance that the camera quality probably is similar to this one.
snowboardalliance
You know this is just a device that takes a panorama using an ordinary digital camera. It just takes hundreds/thousands of pictures and sticks them together. That explains the abnormalities, it can't work that fast and people move between shots.

Still pretty cool.
valadez
Thanks for the link there. It is absolutely incredible.
I kept on zooming in little by little getting more and more amazed.
What do they actually use that thign for anyway? Besides showing off.
deanhills
snowboardalliance wrote:
You know this is just a device that takes a panorama using an ordinary digital camera. It just takes hundreds/thousands of pictures and sticks them together. That explains the abnormalities, it can't work that fast and people move between shots.

Still pretty cool.

Thanks for this insight. Pretty awesome what they can do with these things. Am relieved thought for one minute I thought that there was some spy system of zeroing in on everyone. Very Happy
SonLight
The anomolies (extra eyes and legs, etc.) have been fixed in this version:

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee899496648c2b4b06233c

There are some very high-quality posters of the image for sile. Probably a little pricey for most of us, but I'm sure there are a few people who would like the 96 inch version which shows every face clearly.

The image was made from 220 photographs, stitched together in a 22 x 11 array. The individual photos were about 14 megapixels each. The overlap apparently uses about half the total available pixels. That should allow enough overlap for the author to pick and choose which part to use where anomolies need to be fixed.
jabce85
ok........ serious question. who's going to start a webpage with one of these cameras where you have contests on your site to see if you can find a specific person (where's waldo), except unlike where's waldo, it's actually real...... anyone?
Noremac
This scares me. That's all I have to say.
crimson_aria
my first reaction: my god, such a thing exists?

after reading the comments: i thought there really was a camera like that. is it really just small images put together? still awesome anyway.
snowboardalliance
Noremac wrote:
This scares me. That's all I have to say.

Well digital cameras that can zoom that close have been around for a long time. What scares you?
ankitdatashn
First of al sory fr tping like thi, my keybord of cybr caf nt wrkn proprly.

Gosh i migt be drmg to believ i t be true!!, 1400 MP+ camera, hoho, and my moble got only 1.3 MP
Zombie
HaHa I don't think the picture was taken all at once. There are a few ghostly body parts on the path coming in from the bottom right.
missdixy
Oh man, I had no idea such powerful cameras existed!
Jinx
You know, when I was looking for Aretha Franklin (and yeah, the floating hat guy looks pretty weird) I was thinking the same thing about Where's Waldo? It would be cool to have some real life where's waldo photos.

As far as camera's with this resolution, they've been around for a while. There have been spy satellites capable of seeing a car license plate from space for years - the technology just wasn't generally available until recently.
mwsupra
And I thought my 12 megapixel camera was nice... geez.
carlospro7
that's incredible! you can almost distinguish people's facing all the way in the back! I think you can even see secret service people and maybe even government snipers on the rooftops. Makes me want to get rid off my current camera.

What's funny is that you can tell who is listening to the president and who's not. I can see people sleeping in the crowd! Laughing

Thanks for sharing this high definition image.
Kaseas
coolclay wrote:
I have to wonder though if the actual sensor array is 1,474 megapixels or if it's just a bunch of sensor arrays that takes a simultaneous photo and digitally combines them all together because I don't think a camera with a single sensor array exists with that many pixels. That would also explain the few discrepancies in the photo. Interesting stuff though.

That would make so much more sense, too, to have many cameras and later re-stitch the image.
Fatality
That is a great find. The resolution and quality is truly amazing. It looks like the picture was taken in two stages or something, resulting in the 'morphed' images here and there. Something like double exposure.

Thanks for sharing though.
rockacola
hoho, it's like playing where's walley... except without walley in the photo..
pll
This is really amazing stuff!
I saw a lot of others GIGAPANS and the one of Dubai is pretty amazing!