FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Diseases from inbreeding.

Street_Dog
Not that I'm inbred or anything Laughing , but recently we got to discussing this with a teacher who was supervising us in a free class, and he told us that there were loads of 'fairly common' diseases that can be caused by inbreeding, but he wouldn't tell us what they were because some people might know elder relatives with these illnesses.

So does anyone know any, or have a list of, the illnesses/diseases caused by inbreeding/incest/etc.

Cheers.
deanhills
Street_Dog wrote:
Not that I'm inbred or anything Laughing , but recently we got to discussing this with a teacher who was supervising us in a free class, and he told us that there were loads of 'fairly common' diseases that can be caused by inbreeding, but he wouldn't tell us what they were because some people might know elder relatives with these illnesses.

So does anyone know any, or have a list of, the illnesses/diseases caused by inbreeding/incest/etc.

Cheers.

It does not cause any diseases, nor illnesses. There is some possibility of birth defects. The closer the family relationship the higher the chance, but it is a chance only, baby could be quite healthy without birth defects. Perhaps you can do some searches on the Internet "incest+birth defects".
sana618
my family is very big and most of them are married within the family, like most of my cousins are married 2 other cousins and their parents were married too within the relations, and thank the AlMighty there has been no such diseases. all the kids have been healthy and bonny, very smart, or clever, also beautiful. also there have never been any birth defects till now. again thanking the AlMighty for this.
jessicawalker
I think birth defects only occur from inbreeding when it's the product of a parent/child or sibling/sibling relationship. Cousins marrying and whatnot has been a fairly common occurrence in many cultures and actually has been pretty accepted (although I, personally, could never see any of my cousins in that light).
DarkReaver
I am not expert or anything but...

Reduced Fertility/Reduced Sperm Count
Increased Infant Mortality Rates
Slow/Stunted Growth Rate
Ineffective Immune System

Long term can also effect how your body is actually composed i.e. extremely bad teeth, smaller than average height. Prolonged inbreeding of closely related individuals results in an increase in the number of harmful recessive traits.
imera
I haven't done any research so I could be wrong, but by what I have heard and read is that some sort of heart decease may occur. There might not be many problems with cousins, but closer than that there is probably a bigger chance of receiving problems.
scallywag
Inbreeding does not directly cause diseases, but it closes in the gene pool, giving a higher probability of genetic diseases already present in the pool to present themselves.

For example, say we have people A, B & C. They are related, and each carries a genetic disorder (we'll represent it with aA, meaning they have one healthy gene (a) and one affected gene (A). A married D, an unrelated person who is not affected by the disease at all (aa). They have 4 kids, 2 of who have genes aa, and 2 who are aA, all of whom would be healthy, even though 2 of them carried the genes.

B & C marry each other, and also have 4 kids. Their genes would be aa, aA, aA, AA, meaning one is unaffected, 2 carry the disease and 1 of them has it. If later on the AA child married one of their aA siblings, two of them would carry the disease, while 2 of them would have it.

This is obviously a very rough example, all apologies if it's difficult to understand.
disabilityinfo
I would right from the start, it would be if the condition was dominant vs recessive. Basically it takes one parent to pass on a dominant trait. It would be a mistake to presume one automatically passes on anything inheritable. When something is passed down, it isn't automatic its going to be inherited.
For traits that are dominant its 50 percent. For recessive its 25 percent if one person has the trait. If both parents carry recessive genes for what ever conditions its 50 percent. So it depends on if the disorder is dominant or recessive. There are physical traits that come on spontaneously. That is the child/and or children are born with disorders that simply show up.
I wonder, even though, the science of genetics wasn't known until the late 19th century, the fact that incest's been pretty much a universal taboo, since ancient times, its because people recognized that physical traits were somehow passed on. On the other hand, incest gives new meaning to the phrase its all relative.
Disabilityinfo
8166UY
The problem is indeed that very rare diseases that normally are against the odds to get anyways, will manifest with inbreeds because you take away the odds of finding an individual that carries the same disease. For example some recessive gene defects only occur in one at the million families, so the odd of finding a girlfriend that is part of one is quite small. But getting laid with your sister makes the odds a hell lot higher.
Solon_Poledourus
jessicawalker wrote:
I think birth defects only occur from inbreeding when it's the product of a parent/child or sibling/sibling relationship. Cousins marrying and whatnot has been a fairly common occurrence in many cultures and actually has been pretty accepted (although I, personally, could never see any of my cousins in that light).
Yeah... I have a few cousins that I wish were not cousins.
Funny story about that...
When I first visited my family in Florida years ago, before I moved here, i met so many people. There were also alot of friends of the family. Well, we were having a cookout on day, and I met this girl(you can see where this is going). She was really cute, and we hit it off right away. We ended up trading phone numbers and hanging out all day. Nothing happened, luckily. Because I found out about 6 months down the road she was my cousin. She didn't know I was her cousin either, as this was a branch of family I hadn't seen since I was about 6 months old, and she's 3 years younger than me, so we never met. It was a shock to both of us, but we laughed it off. To this day we are pretty much best friends, and we joke about that day every time we see each other at family meetings.
deanhills
I believe there was quite a bit of inbreeding among the royal families in Europe during history. Quite a few married cousins of theirs.