FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Budapest!!!

gverutes
I must recommend Budapest in Hungary if anyone is in Europe. My friend recommended we go there and I hadn't heard much about it. Well...it was amazing. Of course, timing is essential -- we arrived in early June right when the weather warmed up. The city is split in two by a river -- Buda (old city) and Pest (new city).

Budapest has great wines and outdoor markets, but best of all the Turkish Spas (outdoor pools, etc.).

Anyways, contact me if you want more info and pics.
deanhills
Would be nice if you could post more info and pics. They are always most welcome. You say you went in June. Was it easy to get accommodation and did you make these arrangements in advance of your arrival? What were the prices like? What kind of transportation did you use? Smile
killianvillian
I have to agree. I arrived in Budapest by train from Slovenia. We were on an extended trip from France carrying all of our things on a bike.

This turned out to be the gem of the trip. Like gverutes said, timing is important. THe climate is not wonderful in winter. The summers are beautiful, and there are great accomodations for a limited budget.

The city spy maps you can find at the Hostels are good basic maps, and the Pestiest magazine is a good guide for happenings.

There is a lot to be discovered there, because there is little preconceptions from travel agencies available.
deanhills
killianvillian wrote:
I have to agree. I arrived in Budapest by train from Slovenia. We were on an extended trip from France carrying all of our things on a bike.

This turned out to be the gem of the trip. Like gverutes said, timing is important. THe climate is not wonderful in winter. The summers are beautiful, and there are great accomodations for a limited budget.

The city spy maps you can find at the Hostels are good basic maps, and the Pestiest magazine is a good guide for happenings.

There is a lot to be discovered there, because there is little preconceptions from travel agencies available.

Wow, you've got my curiosity going on this one. Sounds like a hidden jewel. Should try and do a few days trip down there, and in the summer as recommended. Smile
killianvillian
Where are you from deanhills?

Does down there mean you live somewhere 'up' in the north of Europe!?
gverutes
I will post some pics when I get a chance...
ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS IN CAPS

Was it easy to get accommodation and did you make these arrangements in advance of your arrival?
I TOOK THE EURRAIL FROM PRAGUE TO BUDAPEST OVERNIGHT. GREAT TRAIN RIDE, EXCEPT WHEN THE GERMAN GUARDS WAKE YOU UP AT THE BORDER TO CHECK YOUR PASSPORT. SKYEUROPE AND EASYJET HAVE CHEAP FLIGHTS FROM MANY BIG EUROPEAN CITIES TO BUDAPEST...SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY TAXES.

I STAYED AT HOSTELS (~$25 EURO PER NIGHT)...HOSTELS ARE THE WAY TO GO, JUST DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE!

What were the prices like?
IN 2006, PRICES WERE VERY REASONABLE -- HUNGARY IS STILL ON THEIR OWN CURRENCY SO IT DOESN'T HAVE THE BAD US$ TO EURO EXCHANGE RATE

What kind of transportation did you use?
I WALKED MOST PLACES -- BUT TAXIS ARE CHEAP. HOSTELS OFFER FREE MAPS SO YOU CAN GET YOUR BEARING AROUND THE CITY. YOU MUST CHECK OUT THE OLD CITY (BUDDA). IT IS AMAZING!
amfriendsforever153
budapest is in hungary[EUROPE}.But its something like unknown .
deanhills
gverutes wrote:
I will post some pics when I get a chance...
ANSWERS TO YOUR QUESTIONS IN CAPS

Was it easy to get accommodation and did you make these arrangements in advance of your arrival?
I TOOK THE EURRAIL FROM PRAGUE TO BUDAPEST OVERNIGHT. GREAT TRAIN RIDE, EXCEPT WHEN THE GERMAN GUARDS WAKE YOU UP AT THE BORDER TO CHECK YOUR PASSPORT. SKYEUROPE AND EASYJET HAVE CHEAP FLIGHTS FROM MANY BIG EUROPEAN CITIES TO BUDAPEST...SOMETIMES YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY TAXES.

I STAYED AT HOSTELS (~$25 EURO PER NIGHT)...HOSTELS ARE THE WAY TO GO, JUST DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE!

What were the prices like?
IN 2006, PRICES WERE VERY REASONABLE -- HUNGARY IS STILL ON THEIR OWN CURRENCY SO IT DOESN'T HAVE THE BAD US$ TO EURO EXCHANGE RATE

What kind of transportation did you use?
I WALKED MOST PLACES -- BUT TAXIS ARE CHEAP. HOSTELS OFFER FREE MAPS SO YOU CAN GET YOUR BEARING AROUND THE CITY. YOU MUST CHECK OUT THE OLD CITY (BUDDA). IT IS AMAZING!

Thanks for this posting. Sounds like a real good way to travel from Prague to Budapest. And perhaps over summer? Not sure I will go for hostels though. Will see if I can get budget hotels Smile

killianvillian wrote:
Where are you from deanhills?

Does down there mean you live somewhere 'up' in the north of Europe!?

I am a Canadian expat living in the Middle East not far from Saudi, and also not far from Oman. I've been here for almost 8 years now. Time to find a new country so would welcome any suggestions! At the moment Quito in Ecuador is catching my fancy and I am also thinking of Libya and Italy (latter too expensive I think) and may explore it during the summer. Smile
Kopernikus
There´s a hydrofoil going from Budapest to Vienna and vice versa!

Great way to see the danube
Melacos
Definitely a great place. Went there with my school around 8 years ago, and I enjoyed it a lot, even though I wasn't really developed enough to really take it in I guess... Would love to return, and combine it with some central-west Europe interrail...
Kopernikus
Oh, and the cities of middle-europe are quite close together.

You could take a look at Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Brno and some of the smaller gems all together.

"Kakania lives"