FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the worst Antivirus program you experience??

jdelfire
What's the worst Antivirus program you experience?
from the program itself, from the tech support people or customer service of these antivirus programs?
bloodrider
By the program itself I would say Mcafee. There's worst like the AVG or similars, but they're free, so we can't ask much from them Razz
David_Pardy
AVG is fine, apart from the latest version having a computer-slowing Resident Shield, which I disabled on mine and it's great Very Happy

But the two worst which I hate with a passion:

Norton Anti-Virus from 2003 and beyond

McAfee (every version that I've had to deal with)

Please, PLEASE don't get Norton anti-virus! It's AWFUL.

Use AVG, Norman Virus Control or VET.
misterXY
David_Pardy wrote:
AVG is fine, apart from the latest version having a computer-slowing Resident Shield, which I disabled on mine and it's great Very Happy

But the two worst which I hate with a passion:

Norton Anti-Virus from 2003 and beyond

McAfee (every version that I've had to deal with)

Please, PLEASE don't get Norton anti-virus! It's AWFUL.

Use AVG, Norman Virus Control or VET.

Back in the day, Norton was amazing.. what happened? Stupid people started buying it and relay on it for everything, making it a shitty program because it keeps acting like a babysitter.

l used pirated keys on Kaspersky, cause l don't have a way too buy it around here during the times l was using it, and was getting angry with it, it kept detecting WLM.exe as a virus, no matter what l do, it just did. NO IT WASN'T A WARE, IT WAS ONLY A KEY WITH A LEGIT PROGRAM FROM KASPERSKY THEMSELVES. (before a war starts over this).
NOD32 was fine and dandy till it turned out wasn't working right, now l'm on ClamWin (also using it portable aswell)
David_Pardy
Norton certainly was great!

Then Symantec bought them. It's all Symantec's fault.
badai
in 2001 norton. suddenly i found my pc full of virus

then avast. i wrongly enter the serial number, the next day it display some message about avast pro. i never thought something is wrong until i connect to my office VPN and found out avast just disabled itself if you enter the wrong serial number, and it was too late then.
Scubaman2051
I've pretty much have had the same experience with all of them. On a side note, I love when people come to where I work and complain that they have a virus. I look at their computer and they have the free version of AVG installed. Why don't people understand that they get what they pay for.
misterXY
Scubaman2051 wrote:
I've pretty much have had the same experience with all of them. On a side note, I love when people come to where I work and complain that they have a virus. I look at their computer and they have the free version of AVG installed. Why don't people understand that they get what they pay for.

ClamWin is free and opensource, and it's amazing. l don't see how this compares too a retail of av or anti-spyware, it's the programmers and hackers that make a great software in this category. Its the user that fills the pc, some common pc procedures and a decent, even free (none of thos, you have a virus! scan here! schemes) and behind a dynamic IP router, slim too none. Been anti-virus free in years and l download ALOT.
badai
clamwin don't have "on access" scanner.

do you really think you can always scan before you run/open/finish downloaded each and every files? what if the virus already loaded in memory?

read their FAQ.
HamsterMan
Norton anti virus. I legally won Norton Systemworks in a contest and it just sucked. Ridiculously slow and after a while it kept complaining that I needed to register it again. What's the point in getting a legal anti-virus program that'll work for a year only.
pumpin
I've tried several anti-virus programs like kerpersky, Norton, Nod32, AVG,....... In all i think they all have their flaws as hackers are working tooth to tooth to break these anti-virus program. Am currently using Avast pro, so far so good, there's been no problem. Hope it continues...................Razz
blk3
Norton Antivirus, they always hogs too much resources for me. Btw is it a good idea to run multiple anti virus a once, I'm currently using Symantec and AVG at the same time on my laptop.
fladry
Norton Antivirus just makes my Computer slow and complains to register soon. I think it is Symantic version.
David_Pardy
You shouldn't run more than one anti-virus scanner on a computer.

I still stand by Norman Virus Control as the best commercial software.
amperx
Norton, totally annoying like it embeds itself on to the OS and tiring process in uninstalling + annoying
AVG too, simply because its a resource hog.
Diablosblizz
AVG is horrible. One of the worst free antivirus products. It wasn't so bad a few version ago, but now it's horrible.

EDIT: Doing a test on a VMWare System AVG is horrible. It let through 3/5 viruses installed on the machine. I installed my current AV (NOD32) and it detected it without any problems. In the line of free, Avira or Avast would probably do the same.

I do give AVG +1 for being the only free program that has more than just antivirus, it's attempting to bunch everything into it's program which is good, but the detection rates are horrible.

Go with something else if you either have the money, or go with Avira (99.7% detection rate according to AV-Comparatives) or Avast.
slashnburn99
windows pro 2009

or something like that, though tit was a windows product and took hours days to get rid of

Spydoctor kept giving me a pop up, funnily enough pop off went when i uninstalled spydoctor

the one i use now is Mcafee, which was the first i used back in 2000

no known problems since
Diablosblizz
Slash, if you mean Antivirus Pro 2009 then you machine is/was possibly infected. It is a well known piece of rogue software and should be removed immediately. Please refer to the link below for removal:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-antivirus-pro-2009

This rogue software steals credit card information, banking information and passwords.
carlospro7
I think McAfee and Norton are the worst antivirus packages I have used. Not very good on resources.
gueda
The worst I tried is Norton. A lot of memory ram used, slow etc
I like Nod32 as a paid one. Free anti virus i like Avast
umeshtangnu
Norton and AVG because they are resource hogs and Norton can not be installed completely always leaves some component behind .
and McAfee for trying to babysit me
leontius
Norton is horrible. It slows you down more than what it's worth. Now I'm using linux so no antivirus needed (it feels like paradise this way).
Whong
My friend had Norton Antivirus and we scanned the computer and it said that no viruses. Then I scanned it again with AVG free version and it found about 30 - 40 viruses. Shocked I was shocked because Norton is supposed to be a great program but apparantly it didn't get the job done... I personally don't recommend Norton Antivirus!!!
r4inm4ker
yeah, Norton must be a winner here Very Happy , very good at early days, but s*cked bad after that. The detection rate is low, and it's pretty resource intensive too from my experience.
wab11287
I would have to say that McAfee has to be the worst hands down. When I had a new internet connection set up a while ago from Comcast they installed McAfee onto my computer without me even knowing. It comes with the "package" as a free gift I guess. I couldnt stand the program. All it did was slow down my computer, give false errors and readings, and sucked up way to many resources. I got rid of the program as soon as possible. (within about an hour of getting my computer hooked up and running)

My old favorite, when using Windows 95 (when it first came out) was hands down Norton. That was the top of the line anti-virus program out at its time. After XP came out they started to make new versions of Norton which all it did was about the same as McAfee does. Slowed down the computer BIG time and was just way to big and bulky. I got rid of that program after about 2 weeks of use and then turned to AVG.

I find that AVG is a very well balanced Anti-Virus. It seems to run smoothly without to much slow down on the computer along with a pretty decent detection rate. I have been using it for about 3 years now without any issues. I have heard a lot of good things about NOD32 as well but havent given it a try. My friends that are computer savy say that it is a very light weight program that has a very nice virus detection.
redslazers
The worst one are random free ones ones that people download from pop ups and then complain that there new "anti virus" is slowing down their computer.
[FuN]goku
Way back i used to use norton, but.. meh... currently i'm using AVG but i hate it. I'm a coder, and when i'm making client/server apps, i generally try to 'hack' my own apps by packet editing and AVG detects my packet editor as a sniffer so it locks it out.. Quite annoying. My laptop on the other hand, has Malware Bytes installed, and i haven't ran into any problems .. yet.
Dark_Jedi06
McAfee, hands down.

It wouldn't even remove itself from my computer, not to mention that it wasn't very good at staving off viruses... Wink
weableandbob
McAfee is the worst I've ever seen. It slowed down my computer horribly every time it did a scan or updated.
jackill
Norton Internet Security - slowed my PC a lot, but it was rubbish in case of detecting viruses. Same Panda, awful firewall, but quite nice antyvirus module.
Agent ME
Whong wrote:
My friend had Norton Antivirus and we scanned the computer and it said that no viruses. Then I scanned it again with AVG free version and it found about 30 - 40 viruses. Shocked

No chance it was coming up with "tracking cookies" and other mostly harmless stuff? It seems a lot of virus programs point out tracking cookies in almost a way that they seem more important than viruses. Sure it's great that it removes them, but seems to just be the program trying to justify its usage most often.
loyal
jdelfire wrote:
from the program itself, from the tech support people or customer service of these antivirus programs?

Hey, peace

I hate norton products, such as norton antivirus. I own a five year (if not older) computer which has low specs. Norton slowed down my computer greatly, and didn't always catch a virus. It's ridicolously overpriced (although to be fair, most antivirus programs are), and has far too few features. You have to pay even more to get norton internet security.

This is a fairly recent list on the best antivirus programs, if anyone is interested:
http://www.virus.gr/portal/en/content/2008-06%2C-1-21-june (scroll down for the list).

Thanks.
CorCloud
Mine would have to be Lavasoft or McAffee thye both leave massive footprints and can often mess with your registry real bad.
forum-knxs
AVG,Panda,Norton,Avast <= these are my opinions
welshsteve
Norton is very system hungry although I'm led to believe the new version is much better. I've never liked Norton to be honest.
aningbo
norton anti virus is the worst of its kind. done know how people still believe in their crapy software. so bulky and takes up all the free memory we have in our system

the best one would b nod32. takes so little memory and does its work flawlessly. norton antivirus is getting bulky as time passes by. nobody should go for norton.
awazdohamko2004
mcafee and NOD32 .. nothign can beat them when it comes to worst antivirus
deanhills
I've used Norton, MacAfee and Kaspersky. MacAfee was the first anti-virus software I used. Norton seemed to be better, and I have used it for about 6 years. I am now using Kaspersky and I find it more lightweight. Only criticism against Norton for me was that it gobbled up a lot of system resources and I was always aware it was there. I'm barely aware of Kaspersky, and so far so good. I started with Kaspersky last year. I would not be able to describe any of the three as "worst". Perhaps "worst" is more prevalent among some of the free anti-virus software?
sanalskumar
For me AVG is the worst one, I dont care its free. The next one i hate is Trend Micro OfficeScan.
rajpk
i think no antivirus is upto user satisfaction

but to some extent i like symentec.
because i have use avg....... avira...... avast,,,,,,,,
but i found symentec help me to protect against viruses more then others like avast, avg.

but this is my opinion and whats your about it , i dont know,
anyway i agree to some people that it degrade system performance, mean it use more resources like hdd space , cpu etc

so thats all my knowledge and experience about symentec and other antiviruses

nice topic started by starter

thanx

goodbye
biljap
AVG Free… I had problem when I tried to remove it. Evil or Very Mad
I also had some serious problem with removing ZoneAlarm and NOD32…
That’s why I keep distance from these programs now and I must admit I wouldn’t dare to install them again. Maybe it was only something about my system but... no thanks.
I don’t want to go through complete process of reinstalling Windows; it is like a punishment for trying some AV… Never again. Mad
mgeek
McAffee is the antivirus program I don't like. One can get better help from AVG.
weableandbob
McAffee was horrible when we had it. It was slow and didn't do a very good job. Avira's been much better =D
digall
Norton just slowed down my pc and it's virus detection capacity is too worse.Not satisfied with avg free but no complain because it's the free version.
shadowfibby
AVG, it's pretty useless
HalfBloodPrince
Anything except Kaspersky, ESET, or Microsoft Security Essentials is the worst. Those programs are great; shit like Norton or McAfee are viruses themselves.
Bielhelm
Norton was the baddest ever since i can think about AV. Now it should be the best in the tests?
How much did the Norton People pay for that?

Panda AV is influencing almost every Prog in progress on the PC, Bitdefender has a bad virus detection,
Avira Prof. is good for old PCs, the personal Version is free and good enogh for the basics.

Kaspersky AV seems to keep the balance beetween Software detection and Performance after all
and is my favorite right now.
menino
Worst AV I had was Norton AV 2004, 2005.
Also Mcafee was a hoarder.
william
In my experience, every version of Norton and McAfee I've used has been hopelessly awful. Took up immense resources, had a price tag, and didn't even pick up some viruses. After those two, I used AVG, which was nice. I also use Avira on some systems, and actually, I think I prefer Avira over all the ones I've used. (Haven't tried NOD32).
DarKStaR
Best in my opinion is Kaspersky cause it picks up anything. but some times it picks up stuff that should be there.

the problem with most popular anti viruses is that some viruses are coded FUD (Fully Undetectable) to them. but on the other hand programs like kaspersky and panda security can pick them out. Mcaffe is the wost. Norton, one care, avg, and other popular ones i wouldn't recommend ether.
tingkagol
Mcafee. AVG is numerous times better. I stopped using AVG when it started to use more memory (about 100mb).

Now I'm using Avira. It's okay.
Alexei
The worst antivirus i ever had was McAfee the only time it warned me about cookies,viruses and the like was when my computer crashed, it crashed three times,after the third time i switched back to Norton, now i've got Norton antivirus and antispyware of version of 2011 it's really fast and effective and best of all it doesn't slow down your computer and takes very little space, combine that and a fast webbrowser like google chrome and you've got the best of the best. The only problem i have with it is that it's only good for a year after which i've got to subscribe again. If anyone's got antivirus problems i advise them to use Norton antivirus with spyware version of 2011.
u16888
1.AVG is the worst for virus detection
2.Mcafee catches some bugs but can't delete them!
3.Norton

Anti-Virus - The worst one on the net,
Makes sure you can get or spread a virus, worm, or Trojan horse. Struggles to remove Mal ware. If it even detects it

Anti-Spyware- Also the worst one on the net.
Doesn't Prevent unauthorized information access by spyware and adware. I've seen more computers infected with this crap ware on them than any other AV.

LinkScanner®
Ensures every web page you visit is safe ¨C even before you go there. It's OK, i guess. About the only good thing about AVG.

No Web Shield. Will not protect you from infected web pages.
Lets you download and exchange files while risking virus infections.

No Advanced Anti-Rootkit protection
Ensures even the toughest and most sophisticated hidden threats are not kept out.

Game Mode Gamers who use this sorry excuse for a AV get hit with all manner of bugs and viruses.
Doesn't Keep you safe without interrupting you while you¡¯re playing.

AVG Identity Protection
Keeps your private information safe from known and unknown threats. Yea, Right.Doesn't have it in the free version.

Anti-Spam
Blocks spammers and scammers from clogging your system.Doesn't have it in the free version.

Enhanced Firewall
Prevents hackers from seeing inside your computer. Fire wall? What fire wall?

System Tools
Optionally customize how AVG protection works with your system. Nope, Doesn't have that in the free version either.
SultanMA
Avira + Avast. Really the worst.

i have tried kaspersky, it's very secure but so slow and heavey for the computer.

Norton is not heavey and not that secure as kaspersky.

ESET nod32 is the best, secure and light ^_^
shivam783
Norton was the world antivirus followed by AVG and Avira......
Norton has tried to improve its sales by launching latest antiviruses under "Symantec" Brand Name
codegeek
Definitely Norton antivirus. It slowed down my PC so much I could not even hit refresh without having to wait 5 seconds. I got sick of it in a week and wanted to uninstall it. However, that turned out to be easier said than done. Finally, I downloaded some tools from the internet (on a friend's computer, mine wouldn't budge) and uninstalled it. Now I always read user reviews before installing any antivirus software.
Nick2008
McAfee, without a doubt. Every version I have tried was a complete disaster.
Cruxader
McAfee was and always will be awful.
Norton was/is bad. Just uninstalled it off a friends laptop. He told me he couldn't believe the speed increase.
AVG was decent and then got bad.
Bit Defender was decent and then got really bad.
PCCillin was good, but I haven't used a version of it in years.

Currently using Avast and have had no problems.
As much as I hate to admit it, MS Security Essentials has been pretty decent too. Just not sure how "good" it is at stopping viruses.

Actually, I usually use a Linux based machine, so really don't have problems with viruses anymore.
the_emissary
Is there anyone else that uses Microsoft Forefront Endpoint Protection? I'm using it now in collaboration with Advanced System Optimizer and I am really happy with the combo performance.

Well to answer your question my worst experience was with AVG 2012. It's my opinion that AVG eats resources and does not block all unwanted(s).
sujay85
jdelfire wrote:

I have tested hundreds of Antivirus software for fun. The most I disliked is:
Computer Associates (Now transformed into Total Defense)
Lousy design, performance, detection. I have never tried their tech support.
Cruxader
sujay85 wrote:
jdelfire wrote:

I have tested hundreds of Antivirus software for fun. The most I disliked is:
Computer Associates (Now transformed into Total Defense)
Lousy design, performance, detection. I have never tried their tech support.

Oh man, forgot all about that one. Total Defense might be worse than McAfee.
Gregoric
Let me consider only free antivirus programs. I have once used Norton Antivirus, it was several years ago but then - when the license expired - my brother and I decided to use some free antiviruses and since then, we do so.

The worst one, which I used merely for day or two, was AVG Antivirus. Main problem was, that it caused some false alarm when I had downloaded some file (I do not remember exactly what it was but after checking it on virustotal.com, it came out to be secure). Worse thing was that I couldn't turn the antivirus protection off for a short while or to make the applicaion not to scan the file. Even trying to kill the process via Task Manager was not possible.

The second one is Avira Free Antivirus. It was pretty okay, I had used it for a week on a new laptop but it showed lots of advertising windows with various promotions or bonus codes to purchase the commercial versions of Avira applications.

Finally, the only one that does not irritate me so far is Avast Antivirus. Maybe it is not the best one available when we consider effectiveness and protection quality but it works and sometimes blocks various malwares or such.
pravojednostavno
Norton - very bad
PBMaxx
McAfee hands down. Symantec a close second. In my experience (goes back to the TRS-80 Smile ), there has never been such bad commercial software. Norton was bad but more slowing than anything to me.
JaniceJohnson
Avast

The best
Blummer
I think the worst one was..mmm..Norton one. I acknowledge it has become a standard, but antiviruses experience the same issue - they are too heavy for the system and constantly decelerate it.
Integricall
I'd have to say Panda AV is borderline being a virus itself. Every PC I ever installed it on for the past 10 years have been corrupted so badly that a total OS reinstall was the only way to get it running again.

Second to that I'd have to say Avast!
Pretty horrible detection rates + 10% of PC's bluescreen with it + utter pain to uninstall (though the official uninstall tool works fine but is still a pain to use)
dude_xyx
Mcafee and Norton I think. But years back I had enough with AVG too.
amateurlee
Norton can be. it slow down my computer very much and hard to uninstall.