FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Cruising still safe?

la_Duchess
My husband and I are planning a Mediterranean cruise in 2010 and I was trying to determine if cruise ships are safe anymore. We have been on 4 cruises over the past 15 years or so and had a blast. I'm a bit leary now? The pirate thing is the scariest to me.

Disturbing tales about cruise vacations are more common than we'd like. Numerous passengers have disappeared from cruise ships. One ship tilted sharply on one of its first voyages, injuring dozens of guests, and others have caught on fire. Modern-day pirates attacking ships. Ships running aground. Furocious storms throwing passengers about. large amounts of Passengers getting sick onboard.

You don't hear about some because cruise lines aren't required to report such events unless they cause serious injuries or property damage. Which all begs the question: Just how safe is cruising? Is there a danger that safety is being compromised because so many ships are being launched.

A ship that was built to operate in ice has already sunk. They were lucky. It happened in daylight, the weather was good and there was a ship in the area to rescue the passengers. What would have happened if it had been at night in a heavy sea? It doesn’t bear thinking about.

What if cruise lines are pushing the limits because we, the passengers, want ever-more exciting experiences without considering what it would be like to be on board in bad weather.

With all this said, I still think that Cruising is as safe as any other mode of travel out there except a automobile of course.

And although the world changed dramatically on September 11, one thing that has not been required to change as much as other aspects of travel is cruise ship security. That's because cruise ships have, for the most part, always adhered to very strict security guidelines and practices.

Have fun without letting your guard down. Your best line of defense against crime spoiling your vacation is to plan, be prepared and stay alert.

So Yes, I still am planning on taking this cruise...
deanhills
la_Duchess wrote:
My husband and I are planning a Mediterranean cruise in 2010 and I was trying to determine if cruise ships are safe anymore. We have been on 4 cruises over the past 15 years or so and had a blast. I'm a bit leary now? The pirate thing is the scariest to me.

Disturbing tales about cruise vacations are more common than we'd like. Numerous passengers have disappeared from cruise ships. One ship tilted sharply on one of its first voyages, injuring dozens of guests, and others have caught on fire. Modern-day pirates attacking ships. Ships running aground. Furocious storms throwing passengers about. large amounts of Passengers getting sick onboard.

You don't hear about some because cruise lines aren't required to report such events unless they cause serious injuries or property damage. Which all begs the question: Just how safe is cruising? Is there a danger that safety is being compromised because so many ships are being launched.

A ship that was built to operate in ice has already sunk. They were lucky. It happened in daylight, the weather was good and there was a ship in the area to rescue the passengers. What would have happened if it had been at night in a heavy sea? It doesn’t bear thinking about.

What if cruise lines are pushing the limits because we, the passengers, want ever-more exciting experiences without considering what it would be like to be on board in bad weather.

With all this said, I still think that Cruising is as safe as any other mode of travel out there except a automobile of course.

And although the world changed dramatically on September 11, one thing that has not been required to change as much as other aspects of travel is cruise ship security. That's because cruise ships have, for the most part, always adhered to very strict security guidelines and practices.

Have fun without letting your guard down. Your best line of defense against crime spoiling your vacation is to plan, be prepared and stay alert.

So Yes, I still am planning on taking this cruise...

Have you been to Alaska yet? If not, that may be much safer, and also much more beautiful. Mediterranean cruises probably are a risk. I would be worried about terrorism as well, especially after Mumbai. They seem to like to be where tourists are. Why not do a partial cruise, like flying to Greece and then boating around those magnificent Greek islands? The south of Thailand, Goa, Sri Lanka or the Fiji Islands could also be great.
atleetalie
You Americans, the Mediterranean sea is very, very safe. All those piratesstories you hear are from Africa and are reasonably near the coast. But the Mediterranean sea is very safe, there are lots of countries nearby and they control the sea. So don't worry you won't get hurt.
deanhills
atleetalie wrote:
You Americans, the Mediterranean sea is very, very safe. All those piratesstories you hear are from Africa and are reasonably near the coast. But the Mediterranean sea is very safe, there are lots of countries nearby and they control the sea. So don't worry you won't get hurt.

Let's hope it is safe. There are no guarantees. Who says those guys who visited Mumbai and Lahore may not decide to do some target practice in the Mediterranean as well. Cruise ships are well known targets as tourists are in Egypt. Remember how safe Sharm El Sheikh used to be?