FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does Niagara Falls freeze in the winter?

la_Duchess
Yes and No......

The tremendous volume of water never stops flowing, However, the falling
water and mist create ice formations along the banks of the falls and river.
This can result in mounds of ice as thick as fifty feet. If the Winter is cold for
long enough, the ice will completely stretch across the river and form what
is known as the "ice bridge". This ice bridge can extend for several miles
down river until it reaches the area known as the lower rapids.

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at this beautiful site. We have gone back several times now and the magesty of it never seems to fade. It is just breath taking.

Literally every person on the Earth, wants to see it, experience it, stand before it and feel the mist in the air touches their faces. Niagara's mile stretch of breathtaking scenery has already stunned countless visitors.

You have to see Niagara falls at night, when it is illuminated. The Falls are lit in the colors of the rainbow. Just fabulous!

goniagara
It's nice to see the sense of wonder still exists around the falls ... I'm a born and raised Niagara Falls resident and I rarely go down to see it ... it's just something we take for granted.
lagoon
No, I've never been there. I really should, but I just don't have the money. Who is the cheapest to fly by from Britain?
deanhills
I've been to the Niagara Falls on both sides, US and Canada and was totally bowled over by it. The photos taken in winter are breathtaking. Think I have to make an effort one day to visit the Falls during winter time. I was there during late October quite a number of years ago.