FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Media file won't show on cloned screen

welshsteve
I've got a laptop hooked up to a projector, with the screen cloned to display the same on the laptop screen and the projector screen. This works fine. I have a windows media file (.wmv) on the desktop on the laptop. When I play it the file shows in windows media player on the laptop, and the sound comes through on external speakers linked to a sound system, but the video does not show on the big screen, just the Windows Media Player application interface, but just black where the video should be showing.

If I go to a website such as YouTube and play a video on there and go full screen, all is ok, so it only happening for locally stored files.

Any idea why this would be?

Many thanks
coreymanshack
welshsteve wrote:
I've got a laptop hooked up to a projector, with the screen cloned to display the same on the laptop screen and the projector screen. This works fine. I have a windows media file (.wmv) on the desktop on the laptop. When I play it the file shows in windows media player on the laptop, and the sound comes through on external speakers linked to a sound system, but the video does not show on the big screen, just the Windows Media Player application interface, but just black where the video should be showing.

If I go to a website such as YouTube and play a video on there and go full screen, all is ok, so it only happening for locally stored files.

Any idea why this would be?

Many thanks

I've encountered this plenty, I think it's some kind of copy protection on the windows media player program. To get around this in your case I would set the projector screen to the default monitor.
welshsteve
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
coreymanshack
welshsteve wrote:
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Update me when you try it please Very Happy
welshsteve
OK , will do.
welshsteve
I'm unable to test this as the laptop has on board graphics and thinks both screens are monitor 1. Sad
coreymanshack
welshsteve wrote:
I'm unable to test this as the laptop has on board graphics and thinks both screens are monitor 1. Sad

GRR, what the crap is this steve! lol... Can you post a link to a pic of your laptop, and also what type of on board graphics? Are you able to select dual view and not clone?
badai
this is cause by frequency not supported by your projector.

you can change setting to extend display (where both display on your screen and projector will have different resolution and frequency), or if you insist to use clone instead of extend, then press the combination key where you can send output to external display. this will make the projector as the main display and your display as clone.

i remember i have this problem while doing presentation. it almost ruined my project.
coreymanshack
badai wrote:
this is cause by frequency not supported by your projector.

you can change setting to extend display (where both display on your screen and projector will have different resolution and frequency), or if you insist to use clone instead of extend, then press the combination key where you can send output to external display. this will make the projector as the main display and your display as clone.

i remember i have this problem while doing presentation. it almost ruined my project.

No, he can see things on the projector. It's just windows media player that he can't see.
badai
ok. but if you can see everything except the video being play (just see black in the place where there is supposed to be some moving picture while everything else is there), then follow my instruction.
mOrpheuS
welshsteve wrote:

It could happen for hardware accelerated video renderers, which Windows Media player (or other players) use when playing media content.

Forcing a software based decoding/rendering like YUV12 will allow you to see the video on the extended/cloned screen/TV.

You sould be able to change this setting in the video codec settings (I remember ffdshow does have this option).
Or use a media player where you can change this setting within the player (Media Player Classic Home Cinema is one that I know of)
brokenadvice
You could also try clicking the checkbox that says "extend my desktop onto this monitor" Drag the video to the projector screen, and then hit f11. I haven't tried it, but it may work.