FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Earth - Share your location

jsarnold
Just thought it might be fun to share our rough locations on Google Earth.

Here's where I live:

Helios
Wouldn't it be easier with Google Maps? Not sure if it's possible though, but a long time ago somebody opened a topic where everybody added their markers on the map.
Can't find that page now unfortunately.

Oh, also, don't point the exact spot you live at. Nobody needs to see that in a public forum.
Maybe I'm too paranoid, but who knows.
jsarnold
I haven't come across a Google maps forum..

...and my location marker is only in the rough area - within 100 yards or so.

I just thought it might be interesting to see the landscape, rather than just a map.
Helios
It's possible to switch to sat. mode in google maps.
jsarnold
I know, but it doesn't include the terrain, which I find quite interesting.
snowynight
Google earth is one of the greastest and most interesting software ever.
But the problem is thant the majority of the names of the cities or towns are uploaded by netians, which are probably not very accurate.
Vladalf
snowynight wrote:
Google earth is one of the greastest and most interesting software ever.

I agree with that. I sat a few hours one day and I just watched alot of pictures in Syberia uploaded by some people, then went into Africa and watched youtube videos, documentaries, then saw some 360 spheres in the states and Venice, so much content and it's still beeing added. I love things like this: Google Earth, Wikipedia, WikiHow, Frihost ( Smile ), etc.
watersoul
Pic 1, Overall view of the beach and marina - the beach in the middle is the one you can see in my avatar Smile

This image is taken from Google Earth and Copyright Google

Pic 2, Closer look at my street

This image is taken from Google Earth and Copyright Google

...looks much better actually being here though!

mathiaus: Copyright notice added!
TomS
Google TOS don't allow to make screenshots of their maps-application^^

I've got a link for you guys. I just typed in my zip-code so you are now in the middle of my district

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=de&geocode=&q=81243+m%C3%BCnchen&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=45.736609,58.535156&ie=UTF8&ll=48.150827,11.436853&spn=0.018239,0.044889&t=h&z=15
watersoul
TomS wrote:
Google TOS don't allow to make screenshots of their maps-application

Ooh, I guess I must have missed that in the Google TOS, silly me, I suppose I'll have to remove the images if they ask me to, no problem at all!

...I'm not sure they're gonna really care about a couple of images on this forum, but if they (or anyone else involved) complain then yes, absolutely I'll comply totally, wouldn't want to risk the wrath of a multinational company would I? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
jsarnold
As far as Google Earth's TOS are concerned, this is their statement:

'The content presented to you as part of the Software, including but not limited to photographic imagery and map data (the “Content”), is protected by Intellectual Property Rights which are owned by Google, its third party licensors and partners, and others who provide that Content to Google You may not, nor may you allow others to, copy, distribute, display, modify, or otherwise use the Content except as it is provided to you through the Software, unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Google or by the owners of that Content, in a separate agreement.'

Which basically suggests that as long as you don't edit the image, and it's for non-profit or personal means, you're free to use an image.

Of course, quite what 'edit' means is up to you. It could mean erasing watermarked images, or it could been cropping - anything goes.

I honestly doubt that Google's going to smash your door down at 3am, drag you out of bed and whip you with a holly bush for posting your home town on this forum.

Unless you ask them nicely, of course. Wink
watersoul
jsarnold wrote:

I honestly doubt that Google's going to smash your door down at 3am, drag you out of bed and whip you with a holly bush for posting your home town on this forum.

Unless you ask them nicely, of course. Wink

I know some people use LOL too much, but honestly, you did actually make me laugh out loud then!

For the record, I'd never ever use images from an individual/free-lance/small group type thing as thats more personal...but Google? How petty would they make themselves look moaning about sharing pic's on a forum like this?!

...and even if the holly bush thing happened, bring it on I say, I've had far far worse in my life hehe! Very Happy
Arseniy
Aw, too difficult for me with my awful speed Sad
And I don't think that I can see my street on the map Confused
Ukraine is not England.
j_f_k
I've seen something like this before and tends to be a lot of young people on the forum and hy advice is to accurately pinpoint your address on here is not a wise thing in the interests of security. tehre are a lot of strange people out there. Maybe within a 1-2 mile radius would be OK but still I would be uneasy.

Not something I'd let JFK Jnr do for sure!
hofodomo01
Haha, my house in Google Earth is still an empty lot under construction Smile
airh3ad
Its true that Google earth is one of the greastest and most interesting software i counter this generation imagine virtual globe, map and geographic information program that was originally called Earth we can see it in our computers im sorry i can't share my location to difficult to see me .
Zombie
Wow watersoul.. that picture is crazy... you arent the house surrounded by the cars are you? how do you sleep at night?!