FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do Graphics Cards Run better on Certain Processors?

Possum
Hi

I'M looking at the RADEON HD 4850 graphics card. I'm not too sure but it seems like AMD either owns or has something to do with RADEON.

If this is the case then do you then need an AMD processor to run this Graphics card.

My other question is, are certain graphics cards made for certain processors

Thank you
badai
nope. to take advantage of the GPU, you need compatible mobo (like CrossFire and SLI). if certain GPU are made for certain CPU, they can lost some customer, like some games that display ATI/nVidia logo.
David_Pardy
CrossFire and SLI are for multiple video cards.

Just make sure the motherboard has a PCIx 16x or AGP 8x slot depending on the model of video card you want (new ones are all PCI Express 16x) and that's all you need.

If you want to run multiple video cards, you need a CrossFire compatible motherboard for ATI, or an SLI compatible motherboard for nVidia.
Jaan
I have a 4850, but i'm running it on an ancient p4 3.4ghz, so the performance of it is extremely limited Sad
coreymanshack
Jaan wrote:
I have a 4850, but i'm running it on an ancient p4 3.4ghz, so the performance of it is extremely limited Sad

The performance of your card isn't limited by your processor. If anything it's limited by your FSB, correct me if I'm wrong it might be another one of those buses.

FSB is eliminated in the newer Intel chip sets giving multiple lanes for data instead of one lane with a speed limit of 25MPH.
David_Pardy
25 Miles per hour, eh?
william
coreymanshack wrote:
Jaan wrote:

The performance of your card isn't limited by your processor. If anything it's limited by your FSB, correct me if I'm wrong it might be another one of those buses.

FSB is eliminated in the newer Intel chip sets giving multiple lanes for data instead of one lane with a speed limit of 25MPH.

Well, assume the graphics card is capable of rendering 70 FPS but the CPU can only process 25 FPS. There's your bottleneck right there. Many Intel CPUs with an 800 MHz or 1066 MHz front side buses can handle an HD 4850 just fine (later Pentium 4s had an 800 MHz FSB as well). Granted, some chipsets aren't capable of handling the newer GPUs, but that's primarily because they can't handle many of the latest parts at all.

@Possum

You can run the HD 4850 on just about anything with a PCI-E 16x (8x?) slot. But remember, don't get a graphics card that will be wasted because of a weak CPU (or some other component, for that matter).