FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

what happend to the jornalist that threw his shoes at Bush?

jjhawaii
does anybody know what happened to the journalist that threw his shoes at the president Bush?
I haven't heard any news about him anymore.
handfleisch
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5icBNOkWmSu-JBJvOaxxrk6P1y35g

Quote:
Iraqi shoe-thrower goes on trial Thursday

8 hours ago

BAGHDAD (AFP) — The Iraqi journalist who won global attention when he hurled his shoes at former US president George W. Bush goes on trial on Thursday charged with assaulting a foreign leader.

Other journalists at Al-Baghdadia, who asked not to be named, told AFP that Zaidi, who was abducted by insurgents during the sectarian strife that engulfed Iraq in the wake of the US invasion, should not be punished.

"He did not want to say goodbye to Bush in a traditional way, so he said farewell in his own way," said one of the reporter's colleagues.

"I feel that what he did was a national gesture to lift the sorrow of children and widows."

Another Al-Baghdadia journalist added: "Muntazer al-Zaidi is a quiet, respectful and educated person and a professional in every sense of the word. He does not deserve to be sentenced and should not be put on trial."
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
"I feel that what he did was a national gesture to lift the sorrow of children and widows."

I've seen some of this journalism amongst your postings about the Palestinian-Israeli War in January as well, this zeroing in on the sorrow of children and widows theme. Looks as though the journalist who wrote the article thought it would work well for his article in Iran too? Note that that was not the words of the guy who threw the shoe. It was the "feeling" of someone else about what the guy who threw the shoe must have felt like (totally devoid of fact), obviously reported for effect, and then highlighted by you for greater effect. Which is a pity, as it then distracts people from the factual content of the article.

Still, I was also curious what happened to the poor blighter, so we now know he has been to trial. Thanks for posting it.
atul2242
Poor guy - will probably get convicted heavily - Sad
deanhills
atul2242 wrote:
Poor guy - will probably get convicted heavily - Sad
I hope not. I like his face. Being in prison must have been punishment enough for him. Guess they want to make sure that people don't think it is OK to throw things at important visitors. The age-old deterrent factor thingie.
atul2242
([/quote] I hope not. I like his face. Being in prison must have been punishment enough for him. Guess they want to make sure that people don't think it is OK to throw things at important visitors. The age-old deterrent factor thingie.[/quote]

Yeah I like his face and bravery too.
handfleisch
Quote:
Iraqi shoe thrower's trial begins with cheers

The Iraqi journalist who hurled his shoes at then-President George W. Bush appeared Thursday for his first court appearance to loud applause and cheers. Muntadhar al-Zaidi told the court he was protesting against the U.S. "occupation" of Iraq

Mr shoe thrower is a quite the local hero, it seems, a somewhat lighthearted symbol of the anger and animosity Iraqis feel about the death & destruction the Bush admin unleashed on their country.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/02/19/iraq.shoe.thrower/index.html
deanhills
Would be interesting to compare what the legal system would have done with him in the US in comparison with Iran. I have a feeling he would have been more leniently dealt with in the US than in Iran. Iran has much harsher rules. Would be dreadful if he had to go to jail for 15 years. What do you think? Would he have come off lighter in the US?
handfleisch
Shoe thrower testified today. Note his honest and direct words indicating the scorn Iraqis feel for "soulless" Bush. Frankly, Bush got off lucky to have only a couple shoes thrown at him.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/02/19/iraq.shoe.thrower/index.html

Quote:
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Muntadher al-Zaidi, the Iraqi journalist on trial for throwing his shoes last year at then-President George W. Bush, said the former American leader's "bloodless and soulless smile" and his joking banter provoked him.
Amman protesters support Muntazer al-Zaidi, the Iraqi journalist held for throwing his shoes at President Bush.

Al-Zaidi threw both of his shoes at Bush during a December news conference with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in Baghdad. Neither shoe hit the president, and other people in the room quickly knocked al-Zaidi to the ground before security officials arrested him.

He explained his actions in an hour-long appearance on Thursday at the Central Criminal Court of Iraq. Asked if anyone pushed or motivated him to do this, al-Zaidi said he was spurred on by the "violations that are committed against the Iraqi people."

"I could only see Bush and feel the blood of the innocents flow under his feet, as he was smiling that smile -- as if he had come to bid farewell to Iraq and with the last support and more than 1 million martyrs," al-Zaidi said. "At that moment, I felt this is the man who killed our nation ... the main murderer and the main person responsible for killing our nation."

Speaking in his first public appearance since his arrest two months ago, al-Zaidi told the court he "got emotional and threw the shoe at him" and "the second one was involuntary."
ocalhoun
handfleisch wrote:
Quote:
and "the second one was involuntary."

?
How do you involuntarily throw a shoe? Twice?
xalophus
deanhills wrote:
Would be interesting to compare what the legal system would have done with him in the US in comparison with Iran. I have a feeling he would have been more leniently dealt with in the US than in Iran. Iran has much harsher rules. Would be dreadful if he had to go to jail for 15 years. What do you think? Would he have come off lighter in the US?

Iran ? or was it Iraq ? Could it have been Afghanistan ?
Sure is easy to get confused. They're all the same anyway.
I'm hoping it is muscle-memory that causes you to type "n" everytime after you type "Ira".

ocalhoun wrote:

Actually, only the second shoe is claimed to have been thrown involuntarily.
The sort of thing anyone would do when their first shoe was so expertly dodged. Wink
Tuvitor
That man should get a reward, not a sentence. Though I sort of wish Bush got a fat lip from that. Dude might not be able to run the USA very well, but he's got good reflexes.
deanhills
xalophus wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Iran ? or was it Iraq ? Could it have been Afghanistan ?
Sure is easy to get confused. They're all the same anyway.
I'm hoping it is muscle-memory that causes you to type "n" everytime after you type "Ira".

ocalhoun wrote:

The sort of thing anyone would do when their first shoe was so expertly dodged. Wink

Thanks for setting me right, would have been interesting if it had happened in Iran and what the difference would have been in sentencing. I like the "expertly dodged" ... at least something in favour of Bush for a change. He can expertly dodge flying shoes Smile He also did not make a big deal out of it. Showed some sportmanship. Wish it could have ended right there and then.
ocalhoun
xalophus wrote:

ocalhoun wrote:

I will NOT be happy if saying he did it 'involuntarily' holds up in court. (But, if it does, I'll be sure to claim the 'involuntary action' defense If I'm ever accused of something, citing this as a precedent.)
prithvi
Did they give him time to buy new shoes?

or are shoes not allowed in prison?
deanhills
prithvi wrote:
Did they give him time to buy new shoes?

or are shoes not allowed in prison?

Laughing Now that is an original thought! The shoes must be exhibits. Poor guy, maybe he is walking on socks or barefoot. Cannot be pleasant.
Xanatos
deanhills wrote:
Laughing Now that is an original thought! The shoes must be exhibits. Poor guy, maybe he is walking on socks or barefoot. Cannot be pleasant.

maybe he should have tought of that before he threw a shoe at a foreign dignitary.
prithvi
Xanatos wrote:

maybe he should have tought of that before he threw a shoe at a foreign dignitary.

Moral of the story:

Those who live without spare shoes, shouldn't throw theirs at foreign dignitaries.
Xanatos
prithvi wrote:

Moral of the story:

Those who live without spare shoes, shouldn't throw theirs at foreign dignitaries.

No the moral of the story should be not to throw a shoe at a foreign dignitary on television. I'm not sure it gets much dumber than that.
deanhills
Xanatos wrote:
prithvi wrote:

Moral of the story:

No the moral of the story should be not to throw a shoe at a foreign dignitary on television. I'm not sure it gets much dumber than that.

Good point. Possibly this guy is thinking about that too, and really regretting it. Can't be too comfortable in the prison for him. On the other hand, once he gets out, he probably could cash in on the whole incident, perhaps write a book, get some interviews, etc.
paul_indo
THey should give him maybe one week in prison. It is just a protest and he got a bit carried away. It was not a serious assuault.
deanhills
paul_indo wrote:
THey should give him maybe one week in prison. It is just a protest and he got a bit carried away. It was not a serious assuault.

True. Does anyone know whether he is in prison? I assumed he was, but perhaps he is out on bail?
atul2242
Tuvitor wrote:
That man should get a reward, not a sentence. Though I sort of wish Bush got a fat lip from that. Dude might not be able to run the USA very well, but he's got good reflexes.

Very True
Cddhesh
Well the journalist guy who thrown shoes must be very very daring person.There may be active volcano in his brain full of Lava containing anger against Bush.I heard that he was in prison for one month ,god knows where will he be now a days.I heard that the shoes that he threw was in demand after this incident. There was auction of that shoes and it got sold for lack value, as what i read in some news paper.
Xanatos
Tuvitor wrote:

Do you people not get this, unpopular or not, you do not throw objects at dignitaries, especially ones who happen to be presidents.
coolclay
Quote:
Do you people not get this, unpopular or not, you do not throw objects at dignitaries, especially ones who happen to be presidents.

Very true I think that's the largest point to be made, whether or not you like the guy, throwing objects at the is probably a bad idea. While I do feel bad for the guy, I don't have much sympathy, he knew exactly what he was doing, and knew the consequences. I like President Bush, he is used as such a scapegoat for the mistakes the US has made.
handfleisch
Not such good news for the shoe-thrower. But he can appeal and I bet in the end they'll be some deal so that he doesn't serve the time

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iraqi-shoethrower-sentenced-to-three-years-for-assault-on-bush-1643975.html

Quote:
Iraqi shoe-thrower sentenced to three years for 'assault' on Bush

By Patrick Cockburn

Friday, 13 March 2009

An Iraqi reporter acclaimed as a hero across much of the Middle East after he threw his shoes at President Bush was sentenced in Baghdad to three years in prison yesterday.

"What I did was a natural response to the occupation," said Muntadhar al-Zaidi to the three-judge panel. As the sentence was read out he shouted "Long live Iraq" while others in the courtroom were removed by police for yelling "Down with Bush".
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Not such good news for the shoe-thrower. But he can appeal and I bet in the end they'll be some deal so that he doesn't serve the time

Good point Handfleisch and I certainly hope that will be the case. I'm sure Bush is hoping for that too.
deanhills
Looks as though our Iraqi shoe thrower will be released on Monday. He is thinking of changing his profession to that of a Humanitarian:
Quote:
The Iraqi television reporter who threw his shoes at former President George W. Bush in one of the more bizarre episodes of the Iraq war might use his new iconic status in Iraq to promote humanitarian causes, his family said.

The reporter, Muntadhar al-Zeidi, is to be released Monday after nine months in prison. He will be greeted by a nation where many feel his act of protest encapsulated their own bitterness over the war and U.S. occupation.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090910/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_shoe_thrower
missdixy
deanhills wrote:
Looks as though our Iraqi shoe thrower will be released on Monday. He is thinking of changing his profession to that of a Humanitarian:
Quote:
The Iraqi television reporter who threw his shoes at former President George W. Bush in one of the more bizarre episodes of the Iraq war might use his new iconic status in Iraq to promote humanitarian causes, his family said.

The reporter, Muntadhar al-Zeidi, is to be released Monday after nine months in prison. He will be greeted by a nation where many feel his act of protest encapsulated their own bitterness over the war and U.S. occupation.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090910/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_iraq_shoe_thrower

Good, I'm glad he's being released already! I never thought he should have gone to jail. At least not for that long.
deanhills
missdixy wrote:
Good, I'm glad he's being released already! I never thought he should have gone to jail. At least not for that long.
Right! But at least in the longer term it could be a blessing, as it may open up international opportunities for him that he did not have before. I can't imagine a reporter in Iraq can be earning that much, they have to be limited in their scope of reporting as well. Sounds almost like he had to give up his freedom (jail time) to get more freedom in the end. Shocked Smile