FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Android, An Open Handset Alliance Project.

kitsrock
what do you guys think about Android, An Open Handset Alliance Project?

Quote:
The Open Handset Alliance, a group of more than 30 technology and mobile companies, developed Android: the first complete, open, and free mobile platform. To help developers get started developing new applications, we're offering the Android Software Development Kit.

source: http://code.google.com/android/ and http://developer.android.com/

I think this is a really neat idea, as I've been looking for something like this for quite some time.

I'm just hoping it'd support my old Samsung a840.
coreymanshack
Wait, so is android like, a different firmware for phones?
rvec
moved from hardware to software
coreymanshack
Sucks the poster never came back and replied.
kitsrock
sorry, i was just waiting for the mod to move the topic after i reported it.

to answer your question, yes it is an open source firmware for your phone. oh, and much like the iphone, it will have developer's kit available, allowing users to create, share, and use applications and games with relative ease.
coreymanshack
kitsrock wrote:

to answer your question, yes it is an open source firmware for your phone. oh, and much like the iphone, it will have developer's kit available, allowing users to create, share, and use applications and games with relative ease.

How do i set it up to work with my provider?
kitsrock
that i have not figured out yet. i haven't had the time to set aside to fiddle with my phone yet, but i will look into it this weekend and get back to you, if you haven't already figured it out by then.
misterXY
coreymanshack wrote:
kitsrock wrote:

How do i set it up to work with my provider?

Buy a G1 ? It's not supported by any in Canada, only two GSM companies are Fido (owned by Rogers) and Rogers, and they have the iPhone, but l read they're making it CDMA aswell, soo crossing my fingers. Also, you can get the VM and JDK from the Andriod community
http://developer.android.com/
blk3
What is android is it a new platform? Will this work on any celphones? or only the new ones.
misterXY
blk3 wrote:
What is android is it a new platform? Will this work on any celphones? or only the new ones.

l think only new smartphones that the development kit or something is available officially or any older phones given out too.
Jean-Clod
It's just another OS for Smartphones (Like Windows Mobile, Symbian OS S60 and UIQ, PalmOS, Blackberry OS..)! don't dream of an Android K750i for instance Laughing

For the moment the source code isn't completely released, so other Smartphones can't run Android. It's just another OS for the Smartphone Market. You have to buy an Android phone (HTC G1 and G2-Magic) to see what it looks like.

But well, when Android will be completely OpenSource, then it will be possible to port , and run Android on another Smartphone (Don't forget that, Smartphone only! Like HTC, Blackberry, iPhone, Sony Ericsson X1,..) Very Happy

(I know, Android IS OpenSource, but wait to see more people interested in porting it into another Platform)