FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Catscratches

catscratches
I've decided to keep a single topic for my works from now on. Starting with showing of two pieces that I drew today.

The first one is called Then The World Turned Bright and is a quick sketch for a game concept I have.

This one is a little experiment in graphical style and is called Far Away. Heavily inspired by Ókami (if you havn't played this game, do so now!) and Hiroshige (check his works out, they're awesome).
coreymanshack
I like! Those are really nice Razz
kerryworkman
They are very vibrant and full of energy, what medium do you use? They look like they were done on the computer but the second one almost looks like watercolor.
catscratches
Both are digital. Far Away is inspired by the game Ôkami that goes in a Japanease watercolor style.
catscratches
New piece.

Sudden Sunrise
coreymanshack
catscratches wrote:
New piece.

Sudden Sunrise

wow i love your work
Joanne
Gawd, you're DANG good!
catscratches
The Air Castle That Never Was
catscratches
A screenie from an upcoming "music video" for a song in development.
catscratches
And here's the full video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZsQAMP2f4Y

The quality kinda got screwed up during the FLV conversion though (why do the clouds lag when the moon doesn't? -.-).
Vladalf
Interesting art style, kind of reminds me of some movies and games at Newgrounds.
Vlad
desonium
I like the style of your art. I will keep looking at this thread, because I really like your paintings
Lucy
Those are amazing, I cant tell you how many times I have wished to draw like that.
prithvi
Nice illustration style....... keep them coming
Fatality
Very cool works of art. At first I wasn't sure what to think, but the more I saw the more I liked the style. Let us know when you have more.
catscratches
As we ventured further into the depths of the machinery,
our own footsteps began to frighten us

http://cdn.solidfiles.net/i/mP7o.png
catscratches
Long time, no updates.

The Endless Forest fan art.

And a random speedpaint.
coreymanshack
Still amazing as always! Keep up the good work.
MM357
The best thing about them all IMO is that u keep a sense of art between them all .. so that one can, although the different styles, decide that all of them have a common factor ... of course it is U .. the artist who drew them all, .. BTW .. what do u use for such great art ??
catscratches
GIMP (free)
Wacom Volito2 CTF-420 (don't think this exact model is produced anymore)
MM357
I appreciate ur reply to my question .. that's really nice from U Smile

I asked about what u used cuz I thought it 's hard to draw that accurate freehand using a normal mouse

GIMP is my favorite .. but the tablet is not commonly used (It's the first time for me to hear about such a product) ..

again .. Great work .. and thanks for answering
catscratches
No problem. There's no use in hiding the answers from 'the public', anyways.

The tablet is i.m.o. very good and well-worth its price, but it's the only one that I've ever used so I have absolutely no idéa how it stands in comparison to other tablets.
catscratches
I've been experimenting with breaking+repairing+breaking paintings/photos a bit.

Got another one called A gaze upon enesce but it contains a bit of swearing so I'll just link to it:
http://i.imagehost.org/0839/A_gaze_upon_enesce.jpg
coreymanshack
catscratches wrote:
I've been experimenting with breaking+repairing+breaking paintings/photos a bit.

Got another one called A gaze upon enesce but it contains a bit of swearing so I'll just link to it:
http://i.imagehost.org/0839/A_gaze_upon_enesce.jpg

I don't understand why these are so pixelated. They don't look very neat to me.
MM357
coreymanshack wrote:
I don't understand why these are so pixelated. They don't look very neat to me.

If I got the meaning of this well, I think It is meant to be spooky, I guess from those bloody words written there, and if so, I think It's meant to be pixelated, seems more scary if u can't determine the shapes of spooky matters whatever u call them

catscratches wrote:

I didn't get what u meant with this "breaking+repairing+breaking", maybe one can have a better look at this if U explain this a bit more.
catscratches
For the second image:
I started out by drawing a simple boring image with the pencil tool.

Added a simple blood stain layer:

Saved the first layer as JPEG with extremely low quality and loaded it in again.

Grain merged it over a simple black->red gradient background.

Typed some text. Tried to give it an ugly and weird feeling.

Added a Blur->Pixelized text layer to give it a a distorted feel but still be readable.

I got the idéa from webdesign class where I was bored and painted a simple image:

which I turned into the following using JPEG quality 0 and grain merge.

The reason why they're so pixelized is because squares are frikkin' awesome.
coreymanshack
catscratches wrote:
For the second image:
I started out by drawing a simple boring image with the pencil tool.

Added a simple blood stain layer:

Saved the first layer as JPEG with extremely low quality and loaded it in again.

Grain merged it over a simple black->red gradient background.

Typed some text. Tried to give it an ugly and weird feeling.

Added a Blur->Pixelized text layer to give it a a distorted feel but still be readable.

I got the idéa from webdesign class where I was bored and painted a simple image:

which I turned into the following using JPEG quality 0 and grain merge.

The reason why they're so pixelized is because squares are frikkin' awesome.

I'm sorry I just don't like it, but you can't please everyone. I did like the first to images in this post though before the low quality and pixilization.
MM357
Personally, I like this one the most

On the other hand, I agree that Pixelated art is sometimes needed, but it seems that it is used in video effects more often. I also like to say that I don't believe in Art that has no goal, so I think that every piece of art should have its purpose : clarifying an idea, advertising something, expressing some feelings , or even practicing a technique in graphical design, drawing or in whatever kind of art used.

So If one makes some art just to play with something that he already mastered, I think this one is just wasting his time in pointless work.

This is just an Idea of mine, I know this is not what we are seeing here, as catscratches was practicing this technique and I think he got what he wanted.. keep up the good work
catscratches
Then you do not believe in the image you liked the most as art.
Cliffer
it's like cartoon,very nice,i like it.
MM357
catscratches wrote:
Then you do not believe in the image you liked the most as art.

MM357 wrote:
I know this is not what we are seeing here, as catscratches was practicing this technique and I think he got what he wanted

I said that the purpose of some art can be practicing, we all do that all the time so don't get me wrong Wink

I meant only to mention this idea , and I didn't mean this had no purpose, in fact that idea just popped into my mind when I was thinking about ur art so I decided to mention it.

and again ... keep up the great work
catscratches
But the image you liked had no purpose (aside from later being transformed into the real piece).
MM357
catscratches wrote:
But the image you liked had no purpose (aside from later being transformed into the real piece).

Well then It had a purpose, its purpose is to finally create that "real piece" .. and all over this whole work, I think u intended to practice, learn, improve your skills .. all these are purposes

When I said "no purpose" I meant like some 3d designer in Pixar Studios playing with his 3d program to make a shape that has no meaning at all and apply a material that has no meaning at all and just render it and save it to his gallery to be his worst ever gallery item.

Or an artist who draw something that has no meaning at all using a primitive technique that he already learned and mastered for years, then just release that meaningless work as his new piece.

This surely has nothing related to what we all do everyday, even if one sometimes play with GIMP or whatever program used, we always do so to practice some technique, try some new ideas, or even just for some fun ( which can also be a "purpose" ) Wink

I am waiting your to see your new ones .. I think U can do some sort of animation if U like to.
catscratches
What exactly counts as a purpose? Besides, I never think that you've mastered a technique. You can always get better.

I am making an animation, however the progress is slow and has basically haltered.
catscratches

Practicing for a more serious project.

I might post a link to a site with a link to a link to a site with the project on when it's finished. Unless that's against the rules (guro).
guissmo
Wow. How I wish I could create something like that. Kudos to you!

Good luck with your game. You're doing this for one, right?
catscratches
The first image in the thread is for a game, the others are just random drawings.
Ghost900
I like most of your artwork, the beginning art is more my type, the later pixelated artwork is hard to read the words but the reddish black one is a more grungy and kinda cool look but I guess I am not into pixelation artwork to much.

Also I watched the Youtube video and thought it was a nice sound going with the scene, now you just need to animate the bird.
Flakky
Very nice style the breaking and pixelating. I wanted to experience with that for a long time already Smile Also changing, adding or deleting random bytes from a JPEG would seem interesting. I'm off to experiment right now, thanks to your aid Wink
genckalemsor
catscratches wrote:
The Air Castle That Never Was

wouwwww thats amazing..
catscratches
@Flakky: I'll be happy to see the results of your experiments.
catscratches
catscratches
What could possibly be better than watching all the fireworks on New Year's Eve? Watching pathetic simulated fireworks on your computer screen like a true anti-social nerd, that's what. But where to get these fireworks? Fear not! I am here to help!

This is my entry for the Varg42-fireworks competition. Not traditional art, but I still figured it'd fit in this topic.

Info:
Edit settings.ini for all the fun. I, myself, recommend turning on dragons and ufos. Additionally, turn on apocalypse and either earthquake, pixelize or text-based for fun times.

Controls:
F4 - Switch between windowed and fullscreen mode
F12 - Take screenshot
Esc - Exit

Download (Windows, 1.2 MB)

And here's a little preview of the lovely text-based mode, which can provide some entertainment for some brief seconds. yay.
standready
Very nice works, Catscratches! keep them coming!
tony
catscratches: I love the second and third images you posted on here. What a unique style! Incredible; keep it up!
Djfatalm
those are very nice, could you make something for an artist or band/group?
catscratches
Was a while since I last pixeled (or did anything at all except sitting on my lazy butt).

Edit:

Fluffy the pink cuddly little valentine monster

Dedicated to myself, my only true love.

It's made in one day so don't expect anything.

Arrow keys - Move
Z - Jump
X - Shoot
Download
Kashinilaya
catscratches wrote:
A screenie from an upcoming "music video" for a song in development.

I really enjoyed this sky.
catscratches
Bear and Bird - The Doll
catscratches

Fan art. Cave Story mod: King: Strife and Sacrifice. Oh, and I blame touchpad for everything that's wrong.
catscratches

10 minute quicky.

Edit 03-14 03-17 04-19:
And another cat of the day.
catscratches

zbale
Very nice and interesting work. Keep posting!
catscratches
catscratches
Just some pixel practice/fun. Nothing with too much effort put into it.
catscratches

catscratches

4 hour game.

http://catscratches.frih.net/void/
u16888
is it 4 sell? or donate one 2 my son