FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What do you call valentine's day if you're single?

victornumber
What do you guys call valentine's day if you're single. Some of my single friends seem to hate it and call it hallmark day. I call it malentine's day? You?
Tuvitor
I used to call it "meh" and try my best to ignore it.
jessicawalker
"Meaningless commercial holiday"
RubySlasher
I used to call it free chocolate day.

Ok, so maybe I still call it that. :\
TrueFact
As a single, i used not to notice it coming in the first place as it should be meaningless to single people unless they envy others Smile
cavey
Why not call it "Saturday"? And "Sunday" next year, and so on?
Afaceinthematrix
Valentine's Day... what else would i call it?

I'm not a Christian yet i still call December 25 "Christmas" (well that's barely a Christian holiday).

I'm not a Christian, yet I still call Easter "Easter."

I have no problem calling a holiday it's name, even if I don't follow it. I don't celebrate any holidays, for the most part, but I still call them by what they're called.
Noremac
How about "reason to get drunk because we are depressed and lonely day"

or RTGDBWADAL Day.

idk.
coolclay
I don't understand why people think Valentine's day is just between someone and their significant other. My family celebrates valentines day by making cards for each other and expressing our love for one another. In the same way that society has ruined Christmas by turning it into a "Santa Clause give me presents" type of holiday, our society has turned Valentine's day into a "lover's have sex" day. Thank God I was brought up in a family that celebrates holidays the way they were meant to be spent, I can't imagine the depression I would be in if I celebrated holidays the way most people do.

It really is no wonder so many people hate holidays. Heck I hate what society has turned the holidays into, but I love what is at the heart of the holidays, and that is an excuse to spread love, good cheer, and spend quality time with family members.
imera
coolclay wrote:
It really is no wonder so many people hate holidays. Heck I hate what society has turned the holidays into, but I love what is at the heart of the holidays, and that is an excuse to spread love, good cheer, and spend quality time with family members.

Hurray, that is completely true. I have never, well, almost never since one of my boyfriends were into the whole valentine thing. Maybe people should have read the true story of valentine, it's just like Easter and other holidays.

Christmas is the birth of Gods child, not presents
Easter is the death of Jesus
Valentine is the death of a lover
and many other days has a story which we don't really know or care about, we know only what we are taught as young children, presents, candy and other things that we don't really need, and we'll get anyway.
seannie
i call it hallmark's day of relationshits.
I go through it like how i would with any other day - sleep it off. Laughing
Keran
Maybe my mind is so consumed by the TV and the commercialization of everything, but I for one love all the holidays. And Valentine's day's not an exception. Even though I'm lonely and I don't have anyone to share this holiday with, I like the idea of what it represents. I don't care that every other company is trying to make a profit out of it.
I actually even believe that they help a little, this commercialization actually motivates everyone to actually do something for Your loved one on Valentine's day, because everyone expects You to. Holidays like Valentine's give you the opportunity to express Your feelings in a symbolic way, that will be remembered.

I sometimes do ponder on people that hate holidays, do they find commercialization as an excuse for the fact that they are lonely and can't find their place in the society? I might think like this now, because I'm still young and unexperienced by life. Maybe one day I'll turn into one of those lonely holiday haters (God, I hope not...)

Oh yeah, coming back to the main topic, I don't really call Valentine's day any different than it's already called, I just wanted to share my thoughts Wink
peaceupnorth
I remember when I was a kid and I gave valentine's cards to my mom, grandma, sister, friends (male and female) and teachers at school. We had cool nija turtle cards for the boys and flowery or barbie ones for the girls. yes... very commercial, but we kids loved it. It was sweet. Valentine's need not be only the day of romantic love.

It's also nice to have special days, even if they are meaningless kind of... it allows people to do something special...

and a day all about love... how nice...

"Love begets love"
Craeft
I'm taken and I hate Valentine's Day. It's a corporate holiday. I get my significant other things throughout the year. Valentine's Day is the one day of the year I go out of my way to NOT get her something. And I ask for the same in return.

But to answer your question, I call it V.D. I think that pretty much sums it up.
SpellcasterDX
"Singles Awareness Day"
Joanne
SpellcasterDX wrote:
Quote:
"Singles Awareness Day"

Hahaha.. Say I'm shallow but that cracked me up.
I was thinking of an answer for that question and was scanning the page downwards when I read your post and it just made me laugh.
Laughing Thankies for that Laughing

Anyhow, why the heck would we need to call Valentine's day another name just because we're single?
Though yeah, I spent the last Heart's day with my EX and I hated each minute of it.
I mean, why celebrate, even eat out?
Just because it's Valentine?
Pfft.
Lost art already.

But hey *shrugs*
people think differently.
Joanne
Noremac wrote:
Quote:

or RTGDBWADAL Day.

idk.

O...
M...
G...
Lol, even your abbreviation is long.

Laughing
andysart380
Noremac wrote:

or RTGDBWADAL Day.

idk.

toatally awesome
Chinmoy
its booze day for me and for all teh heartbroken souls out there..
manlear
Such a lonely day... and it's mine. The most loneliest day of my life. -System of a Down.