FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Urban Exploring - ever tried it?

watersoul
Went on our first "urban explore" yesterday - Huge derelict former resettlement camp for Polish citizens in the UK after the 2nd world war. Really interesting, closed down in 1992 but seems to have frozen in time in some places, artifacts litter the place which is also really overgrown with nature now.
Its amazing the places that are worth a look in your area that you might not have realized were there.

Here's a short film of our pictures on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEyHrazT58g

Got any stories of your own explorations, have you ever let your curiosity guide your path??

Very Happy
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:

Got any stories of your own explorations, have you ever let your curiosity guide your path??

Plenty, but I explore places the exact opposite of 'urban'. Places where the nearest human settlement is a full day's walk away.
goutha
I think that you can explore rural places, and urban ones.

When you live in a big city, it's not easy to explore rural places, then discovering your urban envirement is not so bad!
Sphaerenkern
A friend of mine does it in Budapest, looked very interesting. Also, I'd like it as a sport Smile But I didn't do it yet, mainly because I don't have any friends here who do it.
Vladalf
Places that freeze like that in time are really spectacular. It's something surreal that keeps you interested (like the chernobyl zone).
Vladalf
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:
watersoul wrote:

Plenty, but I explore places the exact opposite of 'urban'. Places where the nearest human settlement is a full day's walk away.

Ah, I'm a bit jealous obviously, but this island I live on is pretty overcrowded now and I've done most of the "remote" areas (even though its never more than a day's walk to a house anywhere here really!) so these forgotten urban places are new and interesting in their own unique way Smile
coolclay
Thats awesome. I've been on a few urban explorations. One was in an abandoned and fenced off section area in the LA area in San Pedro. It's called the "sunken city", and consists of a part of town that literally got sucked into the ocean. There are little chunks of streets and stuff here and there but they are at different levels. You can see pictures and more info about it here http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=24548
deanhills
I used to like graveyards quite a bit at one time. Quite a number of years ago now. It was an old one with very old gravestones, belonging to the first and second world wars and surrounding history. Quite interesting. Also very peaceful. Smile

I've done my fair share of urban exploring. But must say I like to get away from it as far as I can, generally. My idea of getting away from it is either in a boat for diving, being under water is like no other experience, just fantastic. I also like to do some bird watching. I used to like walking around in the middle of the Stanley Park woods in Vancouver, Canada, especially during out of season periods when there are very few, to no tourists around. Just me and this gigantic trees, wow are they ever tall, birds, squarrels, ponds, ducks. No people - the best part of the walks! Smile
denilsonguerra
No Brasil a explosão rural-urbana e grande a procura de empregos.
Nameless
Is that what they call getting lost these days? Razz
hlavco
I'd like to do some urban exploring, but I sort of can't, because I don't live in an urban area. Sometimes we'll canoe up the Hudson River and check out the old, abandoned brick factories, though. I like looking at abandoned places and things, such as old buildings and shipwrecks. I don't know why, it's just interesting.