FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Same Key Words are in Many of my site pages

Possum
Hi

My site is a tutorial site for the Newbie, beginner. That being the case in the Keywords, title and description of a page I will put these keywords in. The problem is this could end up being in 50% of my pages.

For instance the Outlook Express Page may have
Outlook Express, Tutorial, Beginner, Newbie

And the Firefox page may have
Firefox, Tutorial, Beginner, Newbie

Will Google get annoyed at this

Thank you
brokenadvice
I am pretty sure google ignores much of what people consider SEO. Keywords, titles, H tags and such are important, but the most important thing to google is what other people think about your site. Your not going to rank that high for the words "newbs" "firefox" or anything else like that anyways, so don't worry too much about that.
riccopt
google no longer reads the keywords on the sites... actually they tend to ignore the description also... they read the TITLE and the BODY of the site...
Possum
Yes.. I agree, Content is King.. I have read some SEO stuff and get just a little board.

I think I will make sure my content does have the Keywords that reflect the words I would use for a search.

Thank you..
jsarnold
Google has always ignored the keywords meta tag - but that's beside the point.

1. Although Google ignores the <keywords> meta tag, Yahoo doesn't, and Yahoo still carries 30% of all searches in the US. So ignore those 'SEO' experts telling you to scrap your keywords tag. I get fed up with SEO gurus shouting about how no one should use keyword tags anymore, when if you look at Google's own web pages, they always use the keywords meta tag!

2. Titles are important, because when you carry out a search online, it's the titles which are the most obvious element of each page. If all your titles are very similar, Google may only display a few of them. Your titles are like book covers for your web pages - you have to sell each page on its own merit. And don't think people are going to be attracted by the word newbie.
gcaughill
Possum wrote:
Hi

My site is a tutorial site for the Newbie, beginner. That being the case in the Keywords, title and description of a page I will put these keywords in. The problem is this could end up being in 50% of my pages.

For instance the Outlook Express Page may have
Outlook Express, Tutorial, Beginner, Newbie

And the Firefox page may have
Firefox, Tutorial, Beginner, Newbie

Will Google get annoyed at this

Thank you

Yes, Google cannot help you market your website if every page uses the same keywords. Find alternate keywords for your content items and make each page carry unique keywords.

Google has a tool as part of their Google Adwords program that lets you search for popular keywords. I do not have that link but searching for 'google keyword tool' should find it.
jsarnold
The Google keywords tool is here:

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

They also provide a search-based keyword tool:

http://www.google.com/sktool/#

Google's video on keywords:

http://services.google.com/awp/en_us/breeze/378766/index.html

Whilst you're using Google's tools, you might also find this one interesting:

http://tools.seobook.com/general/keyword-information/
MYP415
You guys are actually quite mistaken. Google does still care about meta tags, although that is not the only thing they look at like the old meta-based engines. Keywords are very important and make sure all of your pages don't have the same exact keywords because Google will penalize you if you do.

What makes you guys think that SEO is unimportant? You do realize that virtually every top company hires SEO people and almost all good ranking websites (for good keywords) has had some good SEO work done to it? Content is important, but SEO is a way to optimize the content so that the people can find you in the first place. If they can't find you, then what is the point of having great content? A good website needs both.
jsarnold
When you say 'you guys', do you mean me? I have emphasized the importance of meta tags, including the title meta tag.

I write SEO for a living, so I would wholeheartedly agree that good quality optimized content is king.
riccopt
jsarnold wrote:
1. Although Google ignores the <keywords> meta tag, Yahoo doesn't, and Yahoo still carries 30% of all searches in the US. So ignore those 'SEO' experts telling you to scrap your keywords tag. I get fed up with SEO gurus shouting about how no one should use keyword tags anymore, when if you look at Google's own web pages, they always use the keywords meta tag!
no one told him to get rid of the keywords metatags... he asked a question about google, not about yahoo... the answer that were given prior to your post were exactly what he asked for... he didn't mention yahoo... so people didn't explain about yahoo...

also the most important thing when it comes to SEO are INBOUND LINKS (at least nowadays)...
deanhills
I think initially search engines will pick up on your Website, but as time moves along, they may loose interest, so content would definitely be king, especially of the kind that brings traffic to your Website, as I think once you have traffic, then things will happen automatically for you. So possibly important for you to have something that you can offer to visitors like a newsletter that has some valuable advice in it, or a discussion forum, or tips, etc. A dead Website cannot live on key words alone, maybe for a month or so, but during the course of that initiation period, one has to get the Website to be alive with activity.
gcaughill
deanhills wrote:
I think initially search engines will pick up on your Website, but as time moves along, they may loose interest, so content would definitely be king, especially of the kind that brings traffic to your Website, as I think once you have traffic, then things will happen automatically for you. So possibly important for you to have something that you can offer to visitors like a newsletter that has some valuable advice in it, or a discussion forum, or tips, etc. A dead Website cannot live on key words alone, maybe for a month or so, but during the course of that initiation period, one has to get the Website to be alive with activity.

Each page should have unique content. You can reuse certain keywords to a certain extent, and your site's main keywords should be used on multiple pages.

Write with your visitors in mind and not with search engines and you should be ok.
wanshi
brokenadvice wrote:
I am pretty sure google ignores much of what people consider SEO. Keywords, titles, H tags and such are important, but the most important thing to google is what other people think about your site. Your not going to rank that high for the words "newbs" "firefox" or anything else like that anyways, so don't worry too much about that.

just it is! so work hard about your content , if the the same users often visit your site ,then it is useful to them , and the traffic will be up Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
riccopt
ALSO: you can use the same keywords on all pages, as long as they are relevant to the content of the pages where you are adding it...
fantoos
This is good to having your targeted keywords in your page content because they are not helpful through meta tags.
cps31
Using potential keywords in a very perfect way through out the content is a big deal in on-page SEO technique.
shumicpi
If you use same keywords for all of your pages then it does not mean anything actually. Rather try put potential specific keywords for specific pages. It works well.
dude_xyx
Keyword density has to keep lower. If it's over 2% then it's better find ways to lower it using different words etc.
rojer_martin
If you are using website content in natural way and not stuffing it with targeted keywords then there will not be any problem of duplicity/over optimization. Your webpages really require these words on each page so that an user can clearly understand it. So if you have placed the content by keeping websites user in your mind then SE will not affect it negatively, in fact it will help in your website rank boost.