FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista and Brother Wireless Printer

Dennise
We just fired up a new eMachines PC running Vista Home Premium.

After much effort getting this PC running acceptably (LOTS of trouble connecting to our home WiFi network) we're still unable to print to our home networked (WiFi) Brother printer (HL-4070 cdw). Vista can see this networked printer but refuses to print to it. Other Windows XP PCs on the same wireless network print to the Brother just fine.

In Vista, when we try to print from Notepad, the Brother printer appears if we select "Find Printer". Then when Vista instructs us the connect to this printer we see "binary-1", whatever that is. Then selecting "binary-1" we get this message:

The server for the printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise click cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for current printer driver.

My question is: does the Brother server firmware need an update or is this just a normal printer driver update, or both? Also:

Do the update(s?) install in Vista, the Brother printer or both?

Frustrated and confused Rolling Eyes
coreymanshack
Dennise wrote:
We just fired up a new eMachines PC running Vista Home Premium.

After much effort getting this PC running acceptably (LOTS of trouble connecting to our home WiFi network) we're still unable to print to our home networked (WiFi) Brother printer (HL-4070 cdw). Vista can see this networked printer but refuses to print to it. Other Windows XP PCs on the same wireless network print to the Brother just fine.

In Vista, when we try to print from Notepad, the Brother printer appears if we select "Find Printer". Then when Vista instructs us the connect to this printer we see "binary-1", whatever that is. Then selecting "binary-1" we get this message:

The server for the printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise click cancel and contact your network administrator or original equipment manufacturer for current printer driver.

My question is: does the Brother server firmware need an update or is this just a normal printer driver update, or both? Also:

Do the update(s?) install in Vista, the Brother printer or both?

Frustrated and confused Rolling Eyes

Install the drivers for your brother printer on your new pc.
Dennise
Right!

I located my Brother CD, put in it my new Vista PC and followed the installer. WaLa .... success.

I was totally confused and thrown off by the arcane and meaningless messages that Vista threw at me when I initially tried to print to my wireless Brother printer.

All that was needed was to install drivers into a new Vista PC already connected to a working wireless network with a working wireless printer already installed on that network.
coreymanshack
Dennise wrote:
Right!

I located my Brother CD, put in it my new Vista PC and followed the installer. WaLa .... success.

I was totally confused and thrown off by the arcane and meaningless messages that Vista threw at me when I initially tried to print to my wireless Brother printer.

All that was needed was to install drivers into a new Vista PC already connected to a working wireless network with a working wireless printer already installed on that network.

Congratulations.