FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your favourite book (official)

James Bond-007
There are like 4 other threads out there with this topic, and they are scattered in different forums, so I am just going to make this the offical "what is your favorite book" thread.

So...what is your favorite book?

I mostly like non-fiction books...though I do like the James Bond books.
davmcmul
fantasy, fantasy all the way. Anything by Garth Nix rocks but my current favourite is Lirael (by Garth Nix). Dilbert is really good too although those are sort of different to other books.
rpp
like non-fiction books. they bring the realism to me.

books like lord of the rings was very inspring but a long sotry. devinci code is also a excellent book with alot of enthusiam.

Very Happy
Kombo
Kafka
Kundera
Baricco (from Italy)

Very Happy
Zaheer Khan
i like Action, Thriller, Suspense and sometimes love stories Wink
Alienz
I likes Fiction books.

My favorite is Lord of the Ring.
Texas Al
My faves are...

* Getting Things Done by David Allen
* Working by Studs Terkel
* Gig by John Bowe, Marisa Bowe, and Sabin Streeter
* Anything from Lindsay Books, especially if written by David and Vincent Gingery.
* How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
* The Prince by Machiavelli
* The Art of War by Sun Tzu
* Johnathan Livington Seagull by Richard Bach
* The Diamond Age by Neil Stephenson
* Accelerando by Charles Stross
EtherealDesert
He he. I simply have to put my nose into this one. MY precious is the uncanny Russian writer Dostoevskis masterpiece Notes from the underground. But since people place more than one book into this topic (I agree though, the more the merrier) I simply have to put some of his other works on: The Double and Crime and Punishment. Nobody in the whole world has captured mans own urge for the spiritual and emotional Fall (oh yeah, it’s with a capital F). If you haven’t read him yet, do yourself the favour and fetch one of his books (The Double is a good place to start) and get ready to have your world seriously rocked (only for those not faint of heart though, since it’s gruesome and eerie literature).
althalus
I enjoy fantasy books. I haven't read that many authors sadly, but I enjoy reading books by David & Leigh Eddings. They have a nice composion of humour and a great character description.

One of their works are "The redemption of Althalus" which is where I took my nick. Smile
Monkeydog
The Hobbit,The Outsiders,Rules of Prey,And then there were none,and the Harry Potter Books.I'm not a huge fan of the LOTOR books,but i love The Hobbit.I'm also not a huge reader...
Bookface
My favorite books are epic stories with philisophical sidestepping. The following all fit, more or less, into this category, and are ranked by order of enjoyment as best I can amongst such greats (astrisks denote series):

Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
Shogun, by James Clavell
Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card.*
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence, by Robert Pirsig
The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams*
Discworld, by Terry Pratchett.*
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson
Native Son, Richard Wright.
Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder
Dune, Frank Herbert *

Other favorites that come to mind, in the order I think of them:
Harold & Maude, by Colin Higgins.
A Few Figs From Thistles, Edna St. Vincent Millay.
Willy Wonka & (The Chocolate Factory/The Great Glass Elevator), Ronald Dahl.
The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho.
The Little Prince, Antoine De Saint-Expury. (sp?)
Paddington Bear, by Micheal Bond.* (Why am I thinking of children's books?)

Notable Mention: Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco seems promising, though I haven't yet managed to finish anything by him. And the Illuminatus Trilogy seemed to fit my description of a treasured book, but didn't really do it for me at the time.

That's plenty for now, but I guess I can edit in anything major that's really good I think of later.
Texas Al
I liek teh book wit all teh nekid ledies dad keeps in teh bathrom.
ahussain
Nothing beats the Harry Potter series and Dan Brown's mystrey novels.
Thats the only two books I like.
Hoogeveense RAT
My favorite book is Over Vaders en Zonen, it's wrote by Hugo Borst. I don't you know that book, because it's a Dutch book. I like that because it's a book about soccer. But nu only about soccer also about soccer players and them fathers.
tidruG
Most likely, my favourite book is "A Tale Of Two Cities"... ok so the story, i'd give only 8/10.. but the writing style... the way the story unfolds, the choice of words, and the progression of the characters are all fantastic. Charles Dickens takes a simple love story about how we would sometimes die in order to keep the ones we truly love happy, and ingeniously carves a story with that in mind.... absolute genius...

And as for Harry Potter... well, it takes genius to come up just with that kind of a story... and fit everything in, and write it in such a way that it's simple enough for kdis to read, and engrossing enough for adults to want to read... though I'd give J.K. Rowling 9.5/10 for the storyline and all, I'd giver her only about 8/10 for the writing style... simply because it's modern literature and caters to readers who want a book that gives them the story as quick as possible, but the classics are classics because of the way they've been ingeniously written.
Monkeydog
well i beileve the writing style is like that since its ment for kids...
ChunkyBustout
I have to say my favorite books are (short list):

Satanic Verses - Salman Rushdie

The Vampire Chronicles (series) - Anne Rice

The Complete Works of Shakesphere - (duh Laughing )

Snowcrash - Neal Stephenson

...and that's about it. I read quite a bit of film scripts mainly to learn the craft and compare to finished productions and book adaptations. Also, poetry has become a big part of my reading. Classics and, what I consider to be, really good unknown writers. Just personal taste. I think most contemporary well-known writers are over-published to say the least. Excuse my tangent Laughing

My favorite books are above Laughing
Deji
The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

Douglas Adams was an amazing writer i mean how can you compete with

"to fly all you have to do is throw yourself at the ground and miss"

Raymond E. Feist - a great fantasy writer.. Magician is his most well known book but its only the first of many... so far i think ive read all other than 4 of his books (he keeps writing so its hard to keep up) i just love his writing and characters... he also has real skill when it comes to writing about battles.

Harry Potter JK Rowling - i enjoyed the first 3-4 books, the 5th was the most painful book ive ever read now i understand it was aimed at kids but it gets so much good press from people while nothing happens in the book other than harry being angsty. Havnt bothered to buy the 6th one yet.

However i do like the fact that the books are getting more people to read.. because reading is always a good thing.

Katharine Kerr The Deverry Series of books - has a somewhat unique way of writing as the story happens over a series of different time periods, can be difficult to read at time as characters are reborn with the same or similar behaviour but as different people.. its hard to explain but well worth reading.
Monkeydog
i liked the 5th book...
and you act like the 6th book as been out forever XD
Nirotu
The Book of The New Sun - 4 Books.
The Urth of The New Sun - 1 Book, the sequel and unfortunately last book.
-both written by Gene Wolfe

Personally, i rate them higher than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and this is coming from a guy who also read The Silmarillian, Unfinished Tales and The Hobbit. If you love fantasy, and are dying for a long read, i suggest you read these. But just to warn you, they are hard to get into, but once you do, you will be glad you did.
dreamt_death
Psychopath, Mystic River, Scaredy Cat. Basically mystery/suspension fiction.

I do like the occasional fantasy.
Pavcio
I love Dan Brown, I read for example The da Vinci code, Digital fortress
tidruG
well, I just finished the 6th book and to me, it was a big let-down... There's not one thing that you feel good about after you finish the book.... just about everything ends on a sour note.... sad.
Bruno Kitsune
I like the Dan Brown books (the same of Pavcio); I like da Vinci code, Digital Fortress,...
pldacademicteam
I loved DaVinci Code and Deception Point. I have not read Digital Fortress - is it good? Also, I am a big George Meredith fan. I just find his poetry so fascinating. Does anyone else read George Meredith?
Zwebman
I have been reading self-help books, and any other book I can get my hands on. My opnion on the self help books is this:

Take what works for you and read as much as you can. You don't have to belive in everything, if there are some differences in method. In general, self help books broaden your worldview.

I like many different kinds of books. Know any good andventure books?
ealonfena
my favourite authors are Stephen King and Jean Cristophé Grange.
Herbz3
It was definitely the 4th Harry Potter book. It was very well written and had more surprirse to it.
Skyte Resengard
I like Eragon. right now I'm reading Eldest. It is so good Mr. Green
Alacarde
Shogun, by James Clavell.
Amsilva
Have a good project for put on-line a site of reading promotion in portugues language. The 6ª language most spoken in the world...

I am a newbie on this "webunderground" world. So, if you have knowloage in Mambo and PHP language please Help me!!

Only portugueses people please...

Notem bem: tenho um projecto maneirinho para lançar, mas preciso de ajuda....

Há candidatos???

Abraços!
ddukki
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Alacarde wrote:
Shogun, by James Clavell.

That book was really good, but WAY too long. Loved reading it, hated the time it took up.
eluder
I can't tell there is a single favourite book I prefer, in any situation. So I will perhaps name several.

If only English titles are to be named, it gives us -

Ursula LeGuin, The Left Hand of Darkness
Stephen King, It
Lawrence Durrell, The Revolt of Aphrodite
Umberto Eco, Foucault's Pendulum
Evelyn Waugh, Vile Bodies
Aldous Huksley, Brave New World

I suppose that's enough for a start.
ziradro
my favourite book is robinson cruose... i think, it's a good book.. Also, its writer is daniel defoe..
pevensie
I've started that once or twice, but I never finished reading it. Embarassed Not sure why. I tend to get lots of books from the library and then read about two.
Bickering_Blonde
At the moment I'm reading Angel Fever which is in the "The Quentaris Chronicles" series.
It's really good! Very Happy Very Happy
masterevil
star wars -- labyrinth of evil. I'm reading this now. But the bestest one is SW episode 1: secret menace
silentpark
hmm favorit book? well changes from time to time..
temporaly it would be..
ehmmm... Think

Arrow dunno

you say robinson cruese is good... maybe i should read it...
could happen that i strand a lonley island *gg
inesquecivel
Which your favourite book?

My is "A droga do amor" (Brazil)

I don't know if it's in other countries!

Very Happy
Bookface
what makes this thread the official one?

I believe the book you are referring to is called Heart of Dog in English, but I'm not sure.

I don't have a single favorite, but some of my favorites that come to mind include: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, Shogun by James Clavell, The (Ultimate) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, The Little Prince by St. Antoine De-Expury, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Harold & Maude by Colin Higgins (one version is a screenplay, one is the the book.)[/url]
navid-navid
just harry potter
Xploder
My favorite book is Maerchenmond - by Wolfgang & Heike Hohlbein (german), I haven't seen many books that match any of Wolfgang Hohlbein's fantasy books, he has many........ the only book better than any of Wolfgang Hohlbein's books is The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
Nameless
My favourite book changes quite often (since I read so much I often change which genre I like the most etc.) but I'd have to say my all-time favourite book would be Lord of the Rings.
tidruG
Bookface wrote:
what makes this thread the official one?

Well, we had to make on of the threads official, because there were too many new threads all asking which your favourite book was... so, we made this one official, and lock all the others.
inesquecivel
navid-navid wrote:
just harry potter

I Like Harry Potter... is a interesting book, good for reading, but I prefer "The Lord of the Rings"

Wink
credo
I have many favourite books which I read all the time. Most of these are childrens books even though I am 32 years old ^_^

The Harry Potter series for example, I read whenever I have run out of anything else. I have read PoA about a 100 times! I also enjoy the Little Women series and the Anne of Green Gables series.

However possibly my favourite book is Magnificent Obession by Lloyd C Douglas. It's about a wealthy young man with no meaning or purpose in him life except to have fun who is saved from drowning at the same time as this brain surgeon drowns. The young man feels almost compelled to try and take over the brain surgeons life and purpose and then he discovers an amazing secret.

It really is an astonishing book about the power of giving. I think the idea of Pay it Forward might have come from this book.

The most brilliant book I have read recently is called 'The Palace of Heavenly Pleasures' which is the name of a brothel in small town in northern China at the time of the Boxer rebellion. The book has many wonderful and horrid characters whose stories interweave with each other. It's terribly sad and beautiful at the same time. It's by Adam Williams.
Caxius
the silmarillion (tolkien)
the lord of the rings (tolkien)
illiada (homero)
Wink
post-gazette
I like any type of book that has anything to do with history. My favorite book however has to be Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. It has some to do with history, since it highlights a particular period in American History. It's considered a classic here in the States.
Ivi
My favourite book is 'Da vinci code'
post-gazette
Ivi wrote:

I've never read it. What amkes it so good? It seems to me like a lot of people are talking about it.
leone
post-gazette wrote:
I like any type of book that has anything to do with history. .

But most of all i like books which have and adventure stories in them or friction like harry potter and lord of the rings.
leone
post-gazette wrote:
I like any type of book that has anything to do with history. .

But most of all i like books which have and adventure stories in them or friction like harry potter and lord of the rings.
aniitopia
I like a lot of books. The current favorite ones are- To Kill a Mockingbird, The Heart is a Lonley Hunter, After, In my Hands, Tom Sawyer, Hard love, Lord of the rings 1-3, The Hobbit, the wish list, every single redwall book(too many to list), Inkheart, Yearling,
Dark_Jedi06
Shadows of the Empire.

Simply awesome....and it's Star Wars, there's a surprise. Rolling Eyes

Razz

Non-Star Wars, probably Call of the Wild or Animal Farm. Smile
windrei
" ban sheng yuan " by zhang ai-ling.

it's a chinese novel about a love story... how to say, it's a sad story, that i remeber, when i read it some years ago, i did not wanna continue to read... because i don't want the sad plot going on...
svhkid
harry potter and other books with good plots, such as Of Mice and Men
risuarez
My favorite book is Paul Samuelson's Economics.
Piotrek
my favourite book is J.R.R Tolkien Lord Of the Rings all three tomes, its best book i heve ever readen
damj
Rivethead by Ben Hamper

Others:
Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
Crime and Punishment by Dostevsky
Keep the Aspidstra Flying by George Orwell
Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
lavender
Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, and any books such like these. Wink
flexibledogma
I'm not finished with it, but for the moment, The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is topping my list. It is just so absurd. I haven't seen the movie, but the writing in this book is just so well crafted, I cannot see how a movie could do it justice.
bharatchoragudi
2 of my fav books are:

Airport : Arthur Hailey

Airframe : Michael Crichton
irish_18
These are the list my favorite books Very Happy

harry potter series by JK Rowling
the alchemist by Paulo Coelho
the little prince
the da vinci code
a walk to remember
a case of need
otaku
My favorite books are:

*The Outsider
*The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
*Harry Potter
*Abarat
*Eragon
*The DaVinci Code
sunrise
I like the Harry Potter books, The Little Prince (actually, I am reading this right now, but it's very nice), some of J. Krishnamurti's works. Now that I think about it, I don't have favorites, I just read books and don't rank or judge them.
fangonk
My favorite books come wrapped in black plastic. These books are so well known throughout the world of academia, that the gas-station attendent snickers a little when I request a copy of this month's issue from behind the hotdog rollers. His snicker is if to say: ' wow, my exsistence is ridiculious when paled in the light of your great genious'.

-Atticus F.
Pushpull
This general addiction for Harry Potter is something I really cannot understand... (maybe I should try to read it ? Wink )

However, here are some Authors I love :
- Dostoievski
- Boulgakov
- Steinbeck
- Kundera
- Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
- Amelie Nothomb
- Richard Brautigan

And much more...
biga57
post-gazette wrote:
Ivi wrote:

I've never read it. What amkes it so good? It seems to me like a lot of people are talking about it.

Check this forum. There are many posts on this book.

Bye
biga57
Hi There,

Is any webpage, to your knowledge, that offer an objective book review ?

Something where you can write down the book title or its author and check what professional critics, artists think about this book .

Thanks
Hippie
I am amazed that nobody has mentioned Ender's Game on here. It is one of the best sci-fi books ever written. I've also read through harry potter, and am officially a harry potter nerd, along with LOTR too, but Ender's game tops them both. If anyone is wondering what book to read next , read that and I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.
damj
Quote:
I'm not finished with it, but for the moment, The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is topping my list. It is just so absurd. I haven't seen the movie, but the writing in this book is just so well crafted, I cannot see how a movie could do it justice.

I thought the same thing, until I found out that Douglas Adams helped develop the screenplay. The movie is very well done, though many of the plot elements have been reworked. Hitchhikers has always been a work in progress. I haven't heard the original BBC radio show of Hitchhikers, but I understand that it is a little different than the books.
S3nd K3ys
Haven't read many books. Mostly manuals and Help.doc's. Wink

My favorite would have to be the Hobbit and the Trilogy of the Lord of the Rings.
Pharas
I myself love fantasy. The magician series by Raymond Feist, and the Harry Potter series has to be the best ones written.
earthchild
I really enjoyed reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy too.

a couple of others

The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
Illusions - Richard Bach
Power of Intention - Wayne Dyer
Conversations with God - Neale Donald Walsh
pldunbaracademicteam
i enjoy fantasy and horror the most. stephen king is truly a great author and you cant deny the harry potter books. another series that ive liked is the inheritance series.
pldunbaracademicteam
my favorite book would have to be eragon. i didnt enjoy eldest as much. i found it to be a disappointment. but i think its decent for being the second part of a series.
dark666
My favourite book are the tales of otroi by lian hearn which include across the nightingale floor and grass for his pilllow. These books are about a teenager called tomasu (takeo adoted name) whos whole village are killed for worshiping a serect god. tomasu is adoted by a warrior load who saved his life the night his village was destoryed. takeo then finds out that he has a range of hidden powers which include invisablity, being able to make a copy of him self and acute hearing. overall this seairs of books is a great read and i found it hard to put them down
GDG
um, let em see i think my favourite book would have to be 'The Fallen', all four books. that is like the best series i have ever read- about this guy who is half angel and half human and he has to fight angels who want to kill his race of people. realy good plot.

i also enjoy Harry Potter, as do many cant wait for the last and final book. i have read all 6 books, 1-5 2 times and 6 once. but they are still really good novels.

um im currently reading Frankenstein, its not ba dits actually good. better than what the movies portray. but its stillnot my favourite lol.

Oh yea i forgot, there is another book i loved its calledsilver eyes, and it sequel is purple eyes. or is it the other ay around not sure. but theyre really good books. interesting too.

well thats mostly all my favoutite books
See Ya. Smile
GDG
hey sorry i just posted,
but i wanted to know f The Da Vinci code is any good. i heard thats it was from all my friends but i needed more proof before i read it, dont want to waste my time with a craop book you know. well any ways thnx for answering me when you do.
See Ya. Rolling Eyes
otaku
./to the tune of A Few of My Favorite Things (Sound of Music)\.
Here are a few of my favorite books

• Harry Potter
  • Lord of the Rings
  • C.S. Lewis
  • Abarat
  • The Outsiders
  • Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
  • Da Vinci Code
  • Of Mice and Men

Most of them I read in English.
Anttu^^
My Favourite books is the Halo Series Rolling Eyes
They just gives you a much huger view of the story of game, and the books are realy great Cool

I suggest them to all the Halo fans around the world !!!

Right now i am waiting for the fourth book (if they are gona make one)
creepyguy
I really luv the book, The Lion's Game. Awesome book i recomment it to others
JohnFMcKillop
The only book i read is the one that has lots of pictures and bubble baloon text .. oh .. I think they call it .. comics .. ^_^ .. literature is great for knowledge though sometimes can cause conflicts (harry potter & lucifer? -- da vinci code & the church) .. but it's really fun to read and imagine, instead just lookin' at pictures .. just imagine more .. no, not on porn materials .. Razz ..
wackyhighlighters
I love books loads! I think the Cherub series is great. Has anybody read the latest on, The Killing. I read it fairly recently as its only just come out. The one before last of the lemony snicket series came out today. You can read the first chapter on his website.

Also, lots of people at my school are reading Eldest. I keep on meaning to read it but haven't had the time (its a big book!)
dasketch
i finished a book not too long ago i think by danielle steele about a girl whose mother dies and the night of the funeral her father tries to rape her and she kills him, goes to jail, marries a politician, her whole life that had been a secret was revealed, her kids were mad at her, the cover was yellow and black, at least in hard back it was. It was a very good book. I really like danielle steele because, although, she writes love stories they do have a plot instead of just being about sex.
brightskies
The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were both good. I think it's the suspense , the secret organizations, and the mystery behind them that intrigued me.

Oh yeah, the Harry Potter series and the Lord of the Rings trilogy are pretty good too. Cool
reinevp
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon plus all five other books in the series.
Other than that,
David Copperfield by Dickens,
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
and finally,
any of Shakespeare's plays.
GamersforGod
Besides the Left Behind series which is about the 7 years of tribulation my favorite book is Notes to Myself by Hugh Prather
amazing
My favorite book is Harry Pottter, what an imagination.
johanfh
There are different kind of books I like, depends on my mood.

• Pramudya Ananta Tur, for example: Anak semua bangsa: sebuah / Child of all nations
  • Arthur Japin (Dutch writer): Een schitterend gebrek (That means: A magnificent shortcoming)
  • Enders Game is a great book
  • The hitchhikers guide is magnificent
  • But good old Sherlock Holmes / Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is a nice series too, especially A study in Scarlett
  • And last but not least: Arthur, the once and ever king

These are not especially the best books I've ever read. There are other books, some better than these, some totally different (how could I compare 'the count of monte christo' with 'lord of the rings'? They are totally different books) But these are nice books.

Keep on reading!

JohanFH
bewald
I have so many favorites it is hard to pick one!

I always seem to come back to Grendel by John Gardener as my favorite. He really gets to the spirit of one of the oldest villians from Beowulf. Also, when he wrote it (and still, because its not too old of a book) it had not been popular to cause the reader to empathize with the villian.

It is wonderful, as are so many wonderful works of literature!
Raven The Dark Angel
Hmm my favorite has to be Hannibal and Silence of the Lambs. I don't really read books too much, but this one caught me right away and they are the first and only that I couldn't put down! They're so much more differnt from the movies. Anyone who liked the box-office versions would LOVE the books. They're compleatly differnt.
mstreet
My favourite books and I won't elaborate at this time are
Jonathon Livingston Seagull and
The Fountain Head
lvmy
ok, I love popular science book very much.
The first one I read (and I think it should be my most favorate book) is "fearful symmetry"
It's a fantastic book that explains the most difficult physics by using vivid, easy understanding layman words. It's not only about physics any more, but includes science, art, culture...

Another one that i love so much is "Godel, Escher,Bach, and eternal golden braid". This book explain a logic delimma by telling the stroies about a mathematician, an artist and a musician.
fabfour
The popular idea is that the 60s were so innovative and radical, and the 50s were whitebread and boring. Renowned novleist David Halberstam's excellent book puts the lie to this with the thesis that nearly every major change that happened in the 50s (integration, rock music, etc., commerical culture) actually had its seed in the 50s. Like nearly all Halberstam's books, it's a long read, but chapters are broekn up into vignettes. The best place to learn about the start of McDonald's, KFC, Holiday Inn, the beat poets, the McCarty era, on and on. I've read it three times, it's so good.

History Channel did a seven-hour TV version of it. Not as good as the book, but worthwhile nonetheless.
Bookface
Hippie wrote:
I am amazed that nobody has mentioned Ender's Game on here. It is one of the best sci-fi books ever written. I've also read through harry potter, and am officially a harry potter nerd, along with LOTR too, but Ender's game tops them both. If anyone is wondering what book to read next , read that and I guarantee you will not be dissapointed.

dude, i mentioned it. second post.
everything else you said is true though.

damj wrote:
Quote:

I thought the same thing, until I found out that Douglas Adams helped develop the screenplay. The movie is very well done, though many of the plot elements have been reworked. Hitchhikers has always been a work in progress. I haven't heard the original BBC radio show of Hitchhikers, but I understand that it is a little different than the books.

I don't think the movie or the radio dramatizations did the novel form justice (even though some of the radio shows came first.) I don't think either the BBC series or the recent movie was anywhere near in comparison. Though the movie did have a lot of good stuff in it, it left out too much and changed stuff and couldn't provide the level of detail that could be given by a book's description, even with the Guide providing narration.
zender
I like books about the 1st and 2nd world war.
But also like the Harry Potter books, they're easier to read (and to follow Razz)
yotga
All books of Harry Potter Cool
Di
I absolutely LOVE the dragonlance series (YAY!!).
But some other of my favourites are Harry Potter and Discworld. I never really got around to reading Lord of the Rings, but i saw the movies if that counts for anything!
And when i was in primary school i read the Redwall series (and aussie bites.......)
Phi
Just one favorite book? I guess it's The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

Absolutely delightful and very touching. I remember crying alot throughout the entire book Mad
WinterMoon
My favorite book... that's kind of a complicated subject for me. If it were author, I'd say Anne Bishop hands down, but as for favorite book... she has 2 trilogies I love, with 2 additional books for one of them that I love just as much.

The Black Jewels Trilogy seemed to be a very unique kind of fantasy, dark, thrilling and erotic without being sexual... Seeing the High Lord of Hell be spun in circles by a little girl has got to be considered classic. Smile

Aside from the Anne Bishop Books, Jane Eyre would have to be my "second" choice. I first read this book when I was about eleven... not quite old enough to understand it but it was a book that stuck with me as something I would want to read later when I was more "literarily" capable. Very Happy Which I did... actually had to write a report on it for my English 2A class in college. Not sure why it appeals to me so much, maybe it's after everything she goes through she can still go back to the man she loves and be a stronger woman for him... I need to go back and re-read over my paper, and the book itself. Odd enough, it appeals to my overly-romantic side lol

As mentioned by brightskies, Da Vinci Code was great for it's suspense and what not, but it's the ending that keeps it from being at the top of my "favorites" list.

WinterMoon
newarkan
My favourites books are :

Dracula (Stoker)
"Harry Potter"s (Rowling)
Les Liaisons Dangereuses (Laclos)
Interview With The Vampire, Lestat the Vampire, etc. (Rice)
Cyrano de Bergerac (Rostand)

I'm french, and I read all of them in original version.
Jasna
Hm... Like many of you, I have several:

The Hitchhiker's Guide Series by Douglas Adams - plain HILARIOUS. And the awesome thing about this series is that it's comedy with intelligence... and scientific intelligence, at that. I love science.

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - possibly the real near-future of mankind. Which is sad. But that makes the book all the better.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - in letter format. Very nice coming-of-age novel. Fans of A Separate Peace and A Catcher in the Rye should definitely check this one out.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne - just finished reading it for the third time (for school). Makes me love Hester Prynne and Pearl even more. Oh, and it's about secret sin.

Revelation by the Evangelist, John - loads of symbolism and insight. Some even believed he was on wormwood (since it is mentioned in the book) while writing it. Whatever.

His Dark Materials Series by Philip Pullman - sure, it's set for a kids-teen audience, but adults are even found reading it as well. Fantasy buffs, it's a must-read.
konceptz
My favourite book is C++ Demystified by Jeff Kent, it's a really easy book to learn C++ and always resource to turn back to when you really need to program a simple and handy program!
meretyping
otaku, i really don't like THE OUTSIDERS, but clearly i'm a minority. i do love THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER, though. also THE CENTER OF EVERYTHING, ORDINARY PEOPLE [remember that movie?] and SPEAK. [all rather depressing, i realize . . .]
headless
i dont really have a favorite book but i really like dis really kool mag:
PC POWERPLAY
Its like the best pc mag ever. i buy it every month!
Pushpull

Ursula K. LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness and The Dispossessed...
Sylvia Plath's The bell jar
Patrick Suskind's The perfume
Nabokov's King, Queen, Knave...
And everything written by Micheal Cunningham.
Masochistic Tendencies
Lord of the Rings has become too over-rated since the movies came out. People are like, "Yeah it's awesome...Never read the book but hey XD"
It's become more being popular than people liking it. Brick wall
Hobbit
It's pretty hard choosing a favorite book, I guess mine is The Seventh Sun and the books that follow that. Orson Scott Card, an awesome author, I wonder if he uses drugs to come up with the awesome ideas hhehe.
psadornas
For now, i found an old book that I still find very appealing. It's SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL by E.F. Schumacher.

It was written in the 1970s but it discusses issues that are still very relevant up to these days. From nuclear wastes, education to finding your center -- your fundamental values.

It discusses enomomics, really, as if people mattered...
Varun
i like Lord of the Rings better than any other books that have ever written...the story line up and the story telling is too great!!! it has power to creat a universe of it own in our heads...i also like some of the books by SS, like Tell me your Dreams and If Tomorrow Comes...but LOTR is first offcourse
Varun
my fav are:

Lord Of The Rings,
The Silmarillion,
Tell me Your Dreams,
If Tomorrow Comes,
Never love a stranger.

but my all time fav is the Silmarillions and then comes LOTR, i have also read some books from The King though...
hangnhu
All time: Pride & Prejudice (do i fit in this forum? Razz)

others very enjoyable one: Tales of the Otori, Spoil of Time, Da Vinci Code & Jin Shei

Varun wrote:
my fav are:
Lord Of The Rings,
The Silmarillion,
Tell me Your Dreams,
If Tomorrow Comes,
Never love a stranger.
but my all time fav is the Silmarillions and then comes LOTR, i have also read some books from The King though...

Never love a stranger? that sound interesting, who wrote it?

Need to read : Lord of the Ring, Harry Potter series, Star Wars, Shadowmancer, Memior of Geisha and more Otori tales (I don't have that much time to go to the library Sad )
The_Kenifer
Dragonsbane by Barabara Hambly is a good read. I also really enjoyed the sequels, though not as muh.
hangnhu
Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austin rules! nothing beats classical romance
lapsantos
lots of tolkien fans here huh? lord of the rings and all of it's magic is great too... BUT I WANNA BE DORIAN GRAY! Laughing

to read Ender's Game is on my 2do list now
De_Luis
Current: De Asielzoeker by Arnon Grunberg.

Followed by his two books he wrote under the name Marek van de Jagt.

In my childhood it was most likely:

Kruistoch in Spijkerbroek by The Beckman.

Roald Dahl for his whole collection though.
blackomen12²
Has anybody read Eragon that and the second part are my favorites, I can't wait to read the last part.
thezet
I recommend Da Vinci Code of Dan Brown. It's quite addictive story - once you start reading you don't want to stop.
Apart of Code I have never read any other book of this author but think that they are all the same in general idea. Confused This is the impression I have got from the reviews.
angelus
I really like the Harry Potter series gg (No, don't crucify me, please ^^)
But A book that I really love is "The Impotance of Being Earnest" by Oscar Wilde ^^ Really funny, I love the scene, where Algy and Jack are in the garden and Algy talks about Bumburying and eats muddins ^^ lovely ^^
I also really adore "Dantes Comedia Divina" ^^ but that's a little hard to understand I think.
I once read Neil Gaiman's "Neverland" It's quiet good and entertaining =) The Lord of the Rings Books are surelly fantastic and interesting, but sometimes Tolkien's descriptions are too long and a little bit boring.
Yours,

angelus
kain
Wow so many to choose from. I love reading... I'd have to go with Harry Potter 4: The Goblet of Fire. Book 6 is good to but in a different way... I won't give anything away about it though...
Lekoes
Best book ever: Improbable by Adam Fawer.

Really good story. Had some really short nights cause I couldn`t put this book away. Doesn`t get boring and is not predictable.

If you like gambling and mathematic you definitely should read this book.
please.be.quiet
i really liked the perks of being a wallflower. not my favorite, but none the less, i still liked it a lot. i just got through reading aimee, a novel about a girl who's friend commits suicide, and she is blamed for helping her commit it. it was very interesting and it's made it to my top list.
XSTG
My favourite book?

Eeeerm...

Harry Potter and the half-blood prince! J.K. Rowling!
Kaisonic
I only like select books, but a really good series is the new Tomb Raider series. The first one was alright, but the second one was a lot better. Gosh, it's been so long since I read them I can't remember if it's the third or fourth one I haven't read yet! Wow. As soon as I'm done with Harry Potter 6, I'll go back and read the TR books again. They're great. And not just because they have a hot chick on the cover. Seriously.

Vader
I really like Tolkien in general... then the Narnia cicle.. R.a. Salvatore...
Science fiction (my favourite kind): all Asimov
hades9366
Off the top of my head:

Fiction

Kafka, The Castle
Jack Kerouac, On The Road
Albert Camus, The Fall
Peter Carey, Peeling (short story from collected works)
Wiliam S Burroughs, Naked Lunch
Dostoevsky, Crime and Punishment
Richard Morgan, Broken Angels
Greg Egan, Axiomatic
George Gissing, New Grub Street
Don Delillo, Great Jones Street
Martin Amis, Money
Jose Saramago, Blindness
Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Non-fiction

Naomi Klein, No Logo
Robert M Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Who have I forgotten?
Xipha
My favorite books have to be anything by C.S Lewis. My mom read me the narnia series as bedtime stories when I was a kid and the world that he creates is amazing. It has so much colour, depth and imagination.

I later read the space trilogy consisting of Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength. (I highly recommend them) The depth of human perception amazed me, although sometimes what he was saying was hard to grasp. They are amaing stories that also give much insight into human nature and the world we live in.

Also the Screwtape Letters is a good one, for anyone wondering what the devil is up to in your life. The perspective was really unique, I mean what other book is from the perspective of a devil who is teaching his nephew the art of temptation? Really good book, that will make you think a lot. ANyways thats all I have to say!
ainieas
All time fav: A Tale of Two Cities. But the fact that we need it in college this year is killing my love for the book! Crying or Very sad

Aside from that A Catcher in the Rye and To Kill a Mockingbird.
ddixon
Everyone MUST read Crank! It's a wonderful book. I'm not much of a reader, but I literally could not put this book down.
Dread Lord Chaos
I really thought The Hobbit was such an excellent book when I read it. I'm not an avid reader as I don't have time (although I do enjoy a good story every now and then) but this story was marvelous. I just felt it was an inspiring hero story. Everyone who I've recommended it to, including people who read even less then I do, thought the book was awesome. Some who read the LOTR books said they found this to be even better.....READ IT! Smile
RedMuse
Well, I have many favourite books in fact. I love Agatha Christie's books; they are well planned and quite different from other mystery/police books. Another book may be the french book "Jamais sans ma fille" by Betty Mahmoudy (I read the french version, but the original one is in English language). "Da Vinci Code" is also an absolute pleasure to read. And not to forget the great Harry Potter series - superb.
erotic_city
das schloss, franz kafka.
voodoomaster
Star Trek Imzady
eselooo
Still "The Lord Of The Rings"
Cassiowt
It is very difficult to define the best book that already I read, diverse are incriveis, like of fiction scientific, spy and history. If it had that to elher one it would be between the Foundation (Isaac Asimov), Advance of Aquitania (Robert Ludlun) and The Last Order (Timotyh Zanh).
Manta
I've always loved the Dan Brown series, especially Angels and Demons.
pawelsz
I like Sapkowski's Witcher (Wiedzmin), but the best one is first Witcher book.
Tsubakii
Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, is truly a amazing book. Not only is his story interesting and moving, but the way he tells it, it captivates the soal and doesn't want to let go, even after you put the book down. It is a truly great book from a truly great man. It is a definite read to any who like either history or politics. From the first page you read, to the last page you turn, this book will move you. I have read many South-African based books and I have to say, by far this is the best one. It is also good to learn the history of South Africa from an un-biased source. Nelson Mandela, even through all the slings and arrows he suffered always believed in equality and never was discriminatory. One of the greatest politicians to date, and one of the best books I have ever read. I give it five out of five stars. But don't just take my word for it, buy it, or at least take it out of the library. Read it, and I promise you'll be glad you did.
Splenge
The sharpe series are good by Bernard cornwell and douglas adams hitchikers guide to the galaxy and dirk gentleys series. Also the the wind on fire trilogy by william nicholson is good but my favourite has to be phillip pullmans His Dark Materials because it has so much hidden depth as well as a good surface storyline
Mizar
My favourite book is Hagakure.
In this book it's explained the "Bushido" a Samurai doctrine.

Mizar-
me
absolutely without doubt

not in any particular order

1 Godfather by Mario Puzo

2. The Sicilian by Mario Puzo

3. Kane and Abel By Jeffery Archer
flipinoy
The Outsiders by S.E Hinton
Nanks
Traitor by Matthew Woodring Stover
papercut
Harry Potter!
mariohs
Lord of the Rings - J. R. R. Tokien
2001 - A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke
Harry Potter (Yes, it's cool) - J. K. Rowling

Looking after reading The Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan), has anyone read it? Actually, it's on 12 books but I don't know if there are more to come.

Wink
leftofcenter
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. Something in her writing style just captures me, and especially the relationship between Remy and Dexter. It's just so imperfect and dysfunctional, but beautiful at the same time. Smile
krumilur
My favourite is absolutely The hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
benwhite
Love Le Guin, Left hand of Darkness, Disposseded and Earthsea stories, especially the recent "Dragonfly."

Recent favorite of mine, Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer.
cherryflows
My favorite would have to be Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. It's about a man orphaned as a baby and born without a smell. He grows up developing an amazing sense of smell to become a perfume maker. Eventually he becomes obessed with making the perfect smell which leads him to murder. It's an incredible book and the ending will have you shocked.
LordSata
1) Lord Of The Ring J.R.R. Tolkien
2) The Saga of George R.R. Martin: The Chronicles of Ice and Fire (in italian is Le Cronache del Ghiaccio e del Fuoco)
3) American Tabloid & The Cold Six Thousand of James Ellroy
ashmin
post-gazette wrote:
Ivi wrote:

Why does everyone like that book?

Anyways... my favorite book is bah! I prefer series. I like series like Alice, even though I am little old for that... Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia,
Eragon books( I forgot the series name), Little house on the Parie... and Mumse... a book in another lanuage.
Josso
Not quite sure... one of the harry potter's or possible Eric by Terry Pratchett.
Insanity
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is one of my favorite books. The characters and depth of the whole book is just simply amazing.
barteacher
Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley
Anything by Tom Clancy or Frederick Forsyth
All of the Shannara books
I like a bit of everything. Of course The Da Vinci Code was great, but I hesitate to add it as a favorite.
Jeslyn
The secrets of jen-shei by alma alexander
the entire artemis fowl series by Eoin colfer
alice in wonderland by louis carroll

mostly fantasy books are my favorite
Kostej
The Butterfly by Henri Charriere
crazedjill
Wow, so many great books were mentioned.
I love to read....

Lord of the Rings --> Just a classic. Loved it.

The Fionavar Tapestry --> Another great fantasy. By Canadian author, Guy Gavriel Kay.

The Catcher In The Rye --> An American classic.

Ender's Game --> This book amazed me. I never liked science fiction until my friend, Kyle lent me this book.

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy; A Trilogy in Four Parts --> This book is halarious.

Harry Potter --> How could I not include it?
mareno
yeah sure
nevzaimnij
Dostoevskij - "IDIOT"
Pushkin " Evgenij Onegin"
Isaak ASIMOV - allmoust everything
Tolstoj - Lolita
birdteam
My Favriote book is

The Little Duke
birdteam
also I like alot the Chronicles of Narnia

here is a review if you do not now it

The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis, is one of the very few sets of books that should be read three times: in childhood, early adulthood, and late in life. In brief, four children travel repeatedly to a world in which they are far more than mere children and everything is far more than it seems. Richly told, populated with fascinating characters, perfectly realized in detail of world and pacing of plot, and profoundly allegorical, the story is infused throughout with the timeless issues of good and evil, faith and hope. This boxed set edition includes all seven volumes. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition
Bist Master
My favorite book(s) would have to be all the ones that are by J.R.R Tolkien:

The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Unfinished Tales, The Book of Lost Tales 1, The Book of Lost Tales 2, The History of Middle Earth (it's a series of 12 books).

In other words, I basically am a God when it comes to LOTR. I know everything Razz

I also enjoy the Halo trilogy:

The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike.--All of which are extremely good books. I also have both games lol.

I haven't read the book(s) yet, but I have seen the movie. The Chronicles of Narnia. I have the book, I just haven't got the time to read it. I have about 10,000 other books that are on the list that I currently have. Laughing

Well, that about sums it up!
Konfunderad
The Lord of the Ring, is one (or should I say three?) of my favorites. I also like a book by Kurt Vonnegut, but I'm not sure what the originaltitle is. I guess something with Slapstick.
fuzzie
bill bryson's history of nearly everything
phoneix
this days i am reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond. if you interested in history and science you will like it...

“Guns, Germs, and Steel is an artful, informative, and delightful book, full of surprises… there is nothing like a radically new angle of vision for bringing out unsuspected dimensions of a subject, and that is what Jared Diamond has done.” – William H. McNeill, The New York Review of Books

“Diamond has written a book of remarkable scope . . . one of the most important and readable works on the human past published in recent years."— Colin Renfrew, Nature

"The scope and explanatory power of this book are astounding."— The New Yorker

"Serious, groundbreaking biological studies of human history only seem to come along once every generation or so. . . . Now [Guns, Germs and Steel] must be added to their select number. . . . No finer work of its kind has been published this year, or for many past."— Martin Sieff, Washington Times

"An epochal work. Diamond has written a summary of human history that can be accounted, for the time being, as Darwinian in its authority."— Thomas M. Disch, The New Leader

"Guns, Germs and Steel lays a foundation for understanding human history, which makes it fascinating in its own right. Because it brilliantly describes how chance advantages can lead to early success in a highly competitive environment, it also offers useful lessons for the business world and for people interested in why technologies succeed."—Bill Gates
Siwy
The Turner Diaries - Andrew Macdonald
Nordic Front - John Murdoch
Kovalchuk17
i like gary paulson, carl hiaason, dave pilky, and the guy who wrote calvin and hobbes
NG
My favourite book is well i dont like to be embarresed or out lol but it is kensukes kingdom lmao i read it a few years back and i fort it was quite a good book you may not like it but i shure do lmao
historia.se
1) Harry Potter
2) The Books in the Holy Bible.
3) Books about history.

I'm religious, have been christed in all of my life, but i went religous wen I was eight to nine years old. I do not remember how, but I am Protestant and I want to be priest in the future.
I'm also intrested anout history.
greywanderer
There are so many good books!
My favorites would have to be Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko, and 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marques is up there on my list too.
Any book that changes my view or way of life for the better...
Zach Ownz
Of Mice and Men, this book was soooo good, and one of the few that i actually read, to anyone who hasnt read it, go get it, and if you havnt yet, read this: Its a story of Two Men, looking for a job, they find one, but the employers and townspeople find out about their past....
its a great book, and im not spoiling it for you, i know its a pretty bland short summary of the book, but, its hard to say a whole lot more without ruining it.
sponguy
My favorite book is one written by the greatest novelist of all time - Fyodor Dostoyevski. That book is Crime and Punishment. The characters are seamless and real, the questions are meaningful and the adventure of ideas and thoughts are breathtaking and brilliant.
laurelleaves
The Harry Potter books (j.k.rowling), the Avalon series (marion zimmer bradley), the interview with the vampire (anne rice), hannibal (thomas harris), the pillars of the earth (ken follett)...and many more!
(+[__]+)
My favourite author was Roald Dahl when I was younger but now it is Anthony Horrowitz.

My favourite book by Roald Rahl was Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

and

My Favourite book by Anthony Horrowitz is Stormbreaker.
PoweredDeath
There's so many, but if I could only pick one.

My all time favorite book is The Da Vinci Codes.
bloody_grunt
I like the halo book series. The fall of reach, First strike, and the flood.
Eric nylund is an excellent author.
nopaniers
I have to agree with people who like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Narnia. But my three favourites are probably:

Old Man and the Sea.
The Fourth Protocol (very dated now)

I'm reading "Romance of Three Kingdoms" at the moment (the Chinese classic). I think it will be up there somewhere.

The DaVinci Code is exciting, but only if you ignore the fact that Dan Brown is so wrong, which really got on my nerves as I was reading the book, and ruined my enjoyment of it. At least it made me go away and read a lot of early church history to see what bits were true... and not very much was, in fact some was downright deceptive.

I haven't read Harry Potter. I really should, but there are so many other good books out there!
Esnetni
My favorite book is the outsider becuase the show how people are treated for beign poor and how a group of people protect each other.
and of of course just cause u live or hang out with a certain group of people it doesn't say who you are.
Cause Johnny was way different from the rest of the greasers. Idea
hobbes
My favorite book was also the first book of Michael Crichton that I read. After watching the movie "The 13th Warrior" I was all like "this is a pretty sweet movie, and it says it is based on a book, maybe I should read that." So like after a year I decide to read the book and I go to the library and get it. I read the whole thing in like 2 days, non-stop reading, it was that good. I also read "Rising Sun" by the same guy. Really good book. I really like that guy.
tdlinkin
My favorite book is tuesdays with Morrie. It is a good book about what humans are really like. People do a lot of things and they sometimes dont think about what they have learned. This is a story about a man who is trying to comfort an old dying mentor of his and he ends up finding out a lot of the stuff that he had forgotten. Things that could and would help him in his life. This is a good book to read if you are a hopelessly in love with books that are melancholy. It also has a life kind of theme to it. Idea Idea Idea
Mason11987
Ender's Shadow.
tebeka
Many, many books:

All of Terry Pratchett
    King Rat
    Meir Shalev

thelfc
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Haven't read many books. Mostly manuals and Help.doc's. Wink

My favorite would have to be the Hobbit and the Trilogy of the Lord of the Rings.

...Ditto for me Very Happy Very Happy
Kafka
Haruki Murakami, F. Kafka, G. Markes, F Dostoevsky, A Chehov, W Golding, G Orwell
mceejaydee
The Hill by Leanord B. Scott. I got really into it,really good novel about vietnam
keedap
I am harry potter fan..
recently i likde eragon adn eldest
Jacob
Some of my favorite books are:

Oryx and Crake, The Power of the Kaballah, Angels and Demons, Lady in the Water, The DiVinci Code, Runaway Jury, Harry Potter (don't act like you don't read them too).

Very Happy
dogancanozturan
I lýke Harry Potter.It ýs very good book.I have read series.Very Happy
evestor
The Ignored by Bentley Litle.

A lot of people believed for a long time that Stephen King was writing under yet another assumed name, but that isnt the case.

He also has another awesome book called "The Summoning"

Horror stuff.
simp
How about "The Mayor of Casterbridge" by Thomas Hardy?" I really like the character development of Michael Henchard (the "Mayor"), althought it is more accurate to say that the character unfolds rather than develops. I think this is Hardy's best effort, although others will disagree. This time-tested classic is available free at your local library.
Idoru
To decide on one single book's impossible. But, I often get stuck in the various philosophies found in good Science fiction. One name to rise above others is Philip K Dick. Any of his novel's contain exciting view's of the world to come and the world that's past. Particually intresting grip of sf in 'the man in the high tower'.

William Gibson also have to be mentioned. If you don't know him, you don't know your sf or isn't the least bit intrested. Either way - there'e no point of explaining Laughing
anne-
i have a lot of favourite books. The ones i really loved are:
"Ektelesis" by a greek writer called Fredy Germanos
"The hours"
"Jonathan Livingstone seagull"
"Eleni i o kanenas" by a greek writer called Rea Galanaki
Nikkori
I have read Harry Potter books by Joanne Kathleen Rowling:
Sorcerer's Stone
Chamber of Secret
Prisoner of Azkaban
Goblet of Fire and
Order of the Phoenix

I just borrowed some of them (I have only PoA ang GoF), and while I'm waitng for Half-Blood Prince, I'm currenly reading Jesus Christ and the Gospel of Matthew, next is the Gospel of Mark and so on...

In the part of Half-Blood Prince, I've just read its Plot Overview and Summary..
Shike
Like a lot of people on this board, I like Harry Potter, but it is definately not my favorite.

I'd have to say my Favorite is Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. though I am currently Reading Le Morte De Arthur and the Mabinogion.
reme
just one favorite book? hmm, maybe The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem. or The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. or Master and Marguerite by Mikhail Bulhakov. or Song of the Bird by Anthony de Mello. or dramas by Samuel Beckett. or the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. or Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. or Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar.
sush
Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the fish
Douglas Adams - The restaurant at the end of the universe
Douglas Adams - Life, the universe and everything

Can't seem to remember the fifth Laughing

The baap of all science fiction books!!!
KayosGraphix
My favourite book has got to be...
The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice
Djim
-The Martian Chronicles byBradbury
-1984 by georges orwell

and of course Pratchet Pray
iglooxue
"Norwegian Wood" by a Japanese author, famous, but i can't spell his name. It's coming-of-age, but in a much deeper sense.
onio72
This is my favourite book. Do you like?
Michael B
I like the Lord of the Rings by Tolkien the most. I have read the books 6 times each. Along with the Hobbit, I have read that 7 times. I have also read a few of his other books.

I don't realy like the movie though, I can't help but spoting were they strayed form the books.
kung_fu_stu
I don't think I could pick a favourite but I can norrow it down to two. The first one would have to be Michael Crichton's TIMELINE and the COMPLETE WORKS OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE (it's a thick one).
Ljsk
Anything by John Grisham
worldsport-i
inesquecivel wrote:

My is "A droga do amor". (Brazil).

I don't know if it's in other countries!

Very Happy

Harry Potter Very Happy .
drkarthi
flexibledogma wrote:

Well, I have seen the movie and I got disappointed. So sad, The book is so good but the movie is Pathetic. It makes me "DEPRESSED"
byutiful
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
yooksauce
test
Jage
The Dark Tower books by Stephen King, a huge story
Shewolf
Piotrek wrote:
my favourite book is J.R.R Tolkien Lord Of the Rings all three tomes, its best book i heve ever readen

I do love that book, it's so beautiful. To me it's probably even the ultimate novel. It got action and drama well enough for any. But still it contains this through worked epic feeling...
rajhank
My favourite is A Prison Diary and A twist in the Tale by Jeffrey Archer.

He is one of the best authors in the world.

I like every book of his.
rhythm
Gone with the Wind by Magaret Mitchell. Laughing
maxi2k6
in no particular order:

The count of monte cristo
Les Miserables
The brothers karamazov
War and peace
Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (hey.... how did that get in here? Very Happy )

please, PLEASE, don't be intimidated by the sheer size and complexity of the works above, they are definitely worth your time.
They are timeless, and there's something about learning how things where done a century ago directly from the source that makes those books so attractive to me.
dreaming
I've had to many over the years... I'd have to say some of my all time favorites are "IT" by Stephen King, "The Count Of Monte Christo" by Alexander Dumas (I loathe the movie version by the way). Those are books I re-read every couple of years and love them just the same.

A Recent favorite of mine is "A Home At The End Of The World", by Michael Cunningham's "A Home At The End Of The World" a few days ago. Still overwhelmed with the density of his writing, the beauty of it (been toying around with the idea of using his entire first paragraph from the first "Jonathan" fragment, which begins with the beautiful phrase "We gathered at the darkening green", as a layer in the backdrop for a song.) His characters still run around my head, I'm still upset and amused and hurt and bilwerdered by their thoughts, actions and lives and innerworkings. The book ends with no actual end, not story wise, yet felt more complete than most books I've read in the past year, and I'm hoping my next read will be just as pleasing.
Artemis11
Wow, I'm not even going to scratch the surface of books I read.. I know I could [literally] go on for hours naming books. I'll just say my favorite book of all time (this changes on a weekly to bi-weekly basis by the way) is Eragon, by Christopher Paolini.
Citizen Kane
my favo but also diffi'cult' to read:

The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri

Mine's translated in Dutch, so no poets in three sentences, just the proza-translation. Problem is, Dante uses so many names from ancient and greek mythology, you're reading a little piece of tex and than you'll automatically have to read a little piece of the appendix... complicated but a very nce story. And just a must have... Written in 15th century, think...
chargoyle
To Kill a Mockingbird
theelectrictwins
i think my favorite books would have to be, grendel by john gardner, the hannibal series, a clockwork orange, and fahrenheit 451

grendel was basically the story of beowulf as told from the perspective of grendel, who is of course the villain. it's extremely entertaining, similar in a way to frankenstein in that it has a lot to do with being rejected and outcast because you are considered a monster, though the creature in frankenstein had good qualities prior to his rejection from society, whereas grendel just did what he wanted, and revelled in destruction

it's a good read
galla
My favourite book is The Da Vinci Code, couldnt put that book down. Very Happy
zluis
I have severall favorite books, the firsts that comes to mind is The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn.
Then Exodus, The Army of the Damned, The three Musketeers triology, Lord of the Rings triology, some Jules Vernes books.

But the main thing is to read,

reading is cool.
scoot
Everyone is giving the Da Vinci code alot of hype, I thought his first book, Angels and Demons, was better than it
osbits
The Old Man and the Sea
osbits
The Catcher in the Rye
totax
My favfite books is:The bible,harry potter,"den røde diamant"!
blinddeafmute
The best book of all time has got to be the catcher in the rye.

It encompasses everything, every novelist wishes for:

It conveys an idea lucidly thru a questionable narrator
Questions Capitalism

basically it is the best book of all time!!!

Blind
sentinela
My favorite book of all is Hagakure, by Yamamoto Tsunetomo.

I've also love these ones:

The Samurai Code - Daidoji
The Book of Five Rings - Myamoto Musashi
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Teachings of Bodhidharma - Bodhidharma

these are great books that theach us a lot on life itself.

one can understand the true nature of mankind be reading understanding and meditating about those teachings....
rhathar
Tolkien, J.R.R
Silmarillion
Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit
Lost Tales
Unfinished Tales

Gaiman, Neil
American Gods
Sandman (entire series)

Pratchet, Terry
Discworld Series

Weis, Maragaret
Hickman, Tracy

DragonLance Series
Forgotten Realms Series

Kerr, Katharine
Deverry Series (most awesome underrated books...)

And so so so many others. Those are the main Fantasy/Fiction ones. Then there's _A Brief History of Time_ by Stephen Hawking, _A Tale of Two Cities_.... I could go on forever Wink
patafizicar
I find all the novels by Dostoevsky great.
Also, there is James Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

There are some relatively obscure works, obscure because they are originally written in Serbo-Croatian language. I find some to be pretty good, like Hourglass (originally, 'Pescanik') or Tomb for Boris Davidovich, both by Danilo Kis.
mialynavahy
Deception Point : dan brown's new book, very interesting, here is a review :
The time is now and President Zachary Herney is facing a very tough reelection. His opponent, Senator Sedgwick Sexton, is a powerful man with powerful friends and a mission: to reduce NASA's spending and move space exploration into the private sector. He has numerous supporters, including many beyond the businesses who will profit from this because of the embarrassment of 1996, when the Clinton administration was informed by NASA that proof existed of life on other planets. That information turned out to be premature, if not incorrect. (This story is true; I repeat, Dan Brown's research is very, very good.) The embattled president is assured that a rare object buried deep in the Arctic ice will prove to have far-reaching implications on America's space program. The find, however, needs to be verified.

Enter Rachel Sexton, a gister for the National Reconnaissance Office. Gisters reduce complex reports into single-page briefs, and in this case the president needs that confirmation before he broadcasts to the nation, probably ensuring his reelection. It's tricky because Rachel is the daughter of his opponent. Rachel is thrilled to be on the team traveling to the Arctic circle. She is a realist about her father's politics and has little respect for his stand on NASA, but Senator Sexton cannot help but have a problem with her involvement.
magneto_ms
The Firm

By John Grisham.

My all time favourite.. didin't like anything other than that from Grisham though.
orlandu63
Well, since reading is one of my dislikes, I still remember one book that I enjoyed very, very much - Old Yeller. Dating back to 4th grade, I had to read this book for a book report; and I thank the teacher greatly for that oppurtunity. The book is very well crafted with such a sad ending it'll guarentee to make the toughest men cry. The book is about a stray dog that a poor family living in the '60s saw dwelling in the oukskirts of their rather poorly-built house. At first the family dislikes him but as the story unwinds so does their feelings about little ol' Yeller. He has saved the family countless times, but after a fight with another stray dog trying to capture the children, something not-worth-spoiling happened that will devastate you - something I will not mention.

I'd give Old Yeller a 5/5, despite the 100 page length >_>
carolinehjkim
i know.. it's official though.
My favorite book is the lord of the rings.
It's kinda hard and sometimes boring but it has all the themes that I want. Rolling Eyes
williamtavernier
My favourite book is "Le vol des Cigognes" from Jean Christophe Grangé, a great story about diamonds trafic. I counsel it. But in French!!
ocalhoun
The hitchiker's guide 'trilogy', of course.
copilot
My favorite is the the Bible.
rightclickscott
I absolutely loved the Kurt Vonnegut Jr, even though the movie absolutely killed it. It was just one of those things where I couldn't stop reading, and I could love every second of Vonnegut's twisted humor and unique writing. It was bordering on insane, but so am I, or so I've been told. Vonnegut wanted to write a book for himself that only he would enjoy as a gift to himself for his 50th birthday, and if anyone knows what to give yourself, it's definetly you, and it's too bad this book was so good, because he wouldn't be the only one enjoying it.
Koperek~PL
Heh, I very like books from Andrzej Sapkowski! He's POLANDS MASTER OF FANTASY...

I think, he's the best book is 'Ostatnie Życzenie' --> 'The Last Wish'

This boook in english version appear in February 2007 Very Happy

Pozdrawiam Koper'ek!
Ljsk
I like a lot of john grishams stuff. Don't think I have a favourite though.
Shuragawa
my favorite book is calledTwilight,its by stephenie meyer.its about a girl who moves in with her father and goes to a new school and meets 5 students who claim to be brother and sisters but really they are vampires.she also falls in love with one of teh vampire guys and he has to make a choice to make her a vamp or not
matttai
My favourite book is Neuromancer by William Gibson. Written in 1984 it is about a cyberpunk future. If you read it you may notice alot of striking similarities with alot of sci-fi that is shown today. That is because alot of movies such as bladerunner and matrix is based off it!
I also like the ShadowRun series which is a cyberpunk series written in the same style.
Becky
My favourite books are the whole Harry Potter series, but my fave in the series so far is Book 5, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Very Happy
alja
My favourite book is "the alchemist" by Paolo Coelho.
You can read the book over and over and you always will find something new in it and something to think about.. as in all the books I have read up to now from this amazing author.
Hammerfall288
the eragon series or learn C++ in 21 days :\
imera
Myfavourite book is...I'm no realy sure if I can call it a book because itis more of a series of books.
Darren Shan tiology is my favourite, Harry Potter comes as the second and Deltoras beltis on third.

All of thees that I havementioned is a series of fantasy books. I have triedto read ither kinds, like drama or krim, but they don't satesifie me.

I alsolikesome novels/books of R.L.Stine. He is a goodwriter and most of the books arequite interesting.
reddishblue
Artemis Fowl, this is a GREAT series read it!
By Eoin Colfer Twisted Evil
mialynavahy
Associate John Grisham, very great and suspensful book, if you like thriller, here a review :
This book begins with a very rich man signing his will. He has six children and several ex-wives. The family employ three psychiatrist to judge he is of sound mind and the whole procedure is taped. Immediately after the taping Troy Phelan presents his lawyers with a will he has written himself, which supersedes the previous will, he signs it and jumps through a window. His estate, all thirteen billion dollars is left to an illegitimate daughter who is a missionary in South America. Nate O'Riley, a litigator, is released from rehab, not for the first time, and despatched by Phelan's law firm to find Rachel Lane and get her signature. There follows one of Grisham's best stories of adventure and legal tension.
azrael85
I personally liked the classic stories including Romeo + Juliet and Great Expectations. I always like to reread the old Classics.

Lately there hasn't been a good book in my opinion that is really worth reading except for Biographies.
Filokaz
Lord of the Rings

I read it as a small child. Back then it was quite hard to read a book of more than 1000 pages.

This question would be a nice candidate fo0r a vote.
Mysterious Euphony
If we were to say favourite series rather than book, then I would have to say the Celestial Triad by Traci Harding. However, book-wise, I must say Wild Lavender by Belinda Alexandra. Keeping in mind that this regularly changes, although Wild Lavender has been an underlying favourite of mine for a long time. Smile
areacode_777
ROBERT JORDAN!! and his wheel of time series

...though i must confess i have only read up to the sixth book lol
poet
The Lives Of Billy Milligan. This is a true story book I found a few years ago, has the same story line as Cyble, thing is multiply the personalities times 2, if I remember corectly something like 31. From the ages of 4 up to and including 48. Sorry if the numbers are wrong been a while since I read this, lost my copy in a fire. I do know one thing, it is the only book I have ever read that I never put it down till I was finished reading it.
damj
mialynavahy wrote:
Associate John Grisham, very great and suspensful book, if you like thriller, here a review :
This book begins with a very rich man signing his will. He has six children and several ex-wives. The family employ three psychiatrist to judge he is of sound mind and the whole procedure is taped. Immediately after the taping Troy Phelan presents his lawyers with a will he has written himself, which supersedes the previous will, he signs it and jumps through a window. His estate, all thirteen billion dollars is left to an illegitimate daughter who is a missionary in South America. Nate O'Riley, a litigator, is released from rehab, not for the first time, and despatched by Phelan's law firm to find Rachel Lane and get her signature. There follows one of Grisham's best stories of adventure and legal tension.

My favorite John Grisham book is a "A Time to Kill", though most everything that he writes is good.
damj
maxi2k6 wrote:

Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (hey.... how did that get in here? Very Happy )

Hitchhikers is awesome ... the funniest books I've ever read.
eruct
My favourite book is A Heatbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers.
Slicey
I would have to choose One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. It was, by far one of the best books I have ever read.
Sl1cK
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is definitely my favorite book
dbking
lord of the rings book is boring.. unlike the movie..
my favorite is the dragon lance..

oh and i reccomend you all to read "rich dad poor dad" -awsome book!
teach you about money and business stuff
Ab_Sleny
Paradise Lost
ankur.vatsa
I'm reading 'Freakonomics' these days & its fast catching-up as one of my favorite books.
Its written so differently and gives you an entire different perspective which can only come with numbers at hand. If you are one of those, like me, who think (as I used to) - why facts need to be supported with numbers, get on to this book. and read through the end.

You may find it boring at times but presrverance with the book will pay. And if the introduction catches your eye - you'll be glad you read through chapters ahead.

Till now I've done it completely, so would post more on it as I read it to end.
OsloVest
"Victoria" by Hamsun is good.
trollbunden
My fav book is for sure a serie by author Margit Sandemo. it's called sagan om isfolket in swedish and it means the icepeople saga in english Razz it's hard to translate. But anyhow the serie contains 47 books. I've read them all and it's a shame they're not translated to english Sad
47 books might seem much but it's not, you wish there were 100 instead Smile
ahamed
A Brief History of Time by Howkings ... a wonderfull book ....
kerouac
"1984" by George Orwell is one of my favorite books. I must have read the book about 15 times since 1976 when I bought my copy. The book has been filmed twice: once in the late fifties as a BBC drama and again in 1984. Of these two films I think the first one captures the graininess of the book better.

Today however with reality shows using the concept of "Big Brother", a lot of the impact has been taken away.

Why do I like the book? Well, it describes for me the position of the little man against big society, how people must conform to fit in, even though all they may want to do is write.
fireydeviant
Psychohistorical Crises by Donald Kingsbury
ashen
Musashi!
I love this book. The story are so cool!
Bernard
Woa, young people you read too much! Do you know that reading hurt eyes? You'll all end with big glasses. Not full of scotch but on your noise.
Ratman2050
Well, I dont read much. But Lord of the Rings yeah!
Jakob [JaWGames]
I am reading very much and especially fantasy. The books I likes most must be the "Wheel of time" books by Robert Jordan and the books about the "Discworld" written by Terry Pratchett.
tiscali
I Like Harry Potter... is a interesting book, good for reading, but I prefer "The Lord of the Rings"
SumPersonGuy
I don't have a single favorite book, but I have three series that are tied for my favorite:
The Inheritance Trilogy
The Harry Potter Series
The Pendragon Series

I like them because they are all long, very addicting books that you can re-read over and over. When I get a new harry potter or pendragon book I read it as fast as possible. When I got the first Inheritance book(Eragon), I didn't put it down unless I had to. I read it until I fell aslepp, or I had to eat. When I got the second one I was the same way.

I also like the Artemis Fowl books, almost, but not as much.
bulek
There are a lot good books, but my best are:
Harry Potter series and
Lord of the rings triology.
Glaxx
Lately my favorite book(s) would have to be the Harry Potter series, yeah, I'm like every other person on the planet. Confused
yeu9h1
Mine are Call of the Wild and Fahrenheit 451. Oh yeah, there is Totto-chan - The Little Girl at the Window also. This book was one of the first books I've read, and I enjoyed it tremendously back then.
evandb
Catcher in the Rye was my favorite for a long time. I havent read it in a while, so a couple others have come up in the meantime...

Crime and Punishment - Dostoevsky
Anna Karenina - Tolstoy

and not so much a book,

Hamlet - who else but the Bard himself?
PowermoonUSA
My favorite Book in the moment is "THE SWARM"

It will be in theatres in 2007 by Paramount Pictures. One of the best storys ive ever read. The movie should go 4 hours or more to realize everything what happens in the story. There are so much facts in the book about biology - you can learn so much. And the story is fascinating. A race called Yrr that lives in the oceans for more than hundreds of million of years and starts a fight against the humans.

Another great Book ive read years ago is "Dune - Der Wuestenplanet". The fight between House Atreides and House Harkonnen on Dune.
zplitstonez
hello everyone
my favorite books is the bible.
Because it is God's letter to us.

God bless you us all.
Thank you
Garrett
classics:
east of Eden John Steinbeck
modern:
the wasp factory Ian Banks
palavra
http://www.amazon.ca/Essentials-Islamic-Faith-Fethullah-Gulen/dp/9757388327

this is my book
Warriorza
Harry Potters are the best books I ever read.

Mostly the 5th part I liked very much. Very Happy
Quiviro
There are many titles here that I liked very much.

My favorite book is "Wyrm" by Mark Fabi. Definitely it isn't the best book in the world but I love it very, very, very much.

In other level, I must refer:
"El pirata Garrapata" by Juan Muñoz Martín. English translation could be: "Tick, the pirate". I read this when I was 9-12 years old but it still makes me laugh when I decide to read it again.
davidav87
The One And Only Good and Beautiful and All-Knowing and Perfect and Non-Contradicting and All-Explaining and All Imprtant and Everything-Else-Doesn't-Matter-Much and Holy Bible of GOD.

Just kidding. I'm not quite sure what my favorite book is!
Monkeydog
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.
degenre
Difficult to choose a favorite, but what springs to mind is One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It is completely captivating, and I have read it at least 4 times and found something new and revolutionary in it every time..
Jupernia
This was a hard choice for me, I love everything I read. I would have to say that my favorite book is Alas Babylon by Pat Frank.
jaypeh
My fave is my cheque book,

I can spend money that I dont have in my account,

norty but nice
saka
I have lot of favourites ...

1.The God Father by Mario puzo
2. The Fountain Head - Ayn rand.
3. Davinci Code - Dan Brown
4. Not a penny more , Not a penny less - Archer

Apart from these, I am big fan of Micheal Crichton and John Grisham. I have read almost all of their work Laughing

--saka
Mosquito.Tyler
My favorite book comes form the series The Dark Tower by Stephen King. The Seventh Book: The Dark Tower is my all time fav. because of the great ending. I encourage anyone 13 or older to read this series, though it does contain some questionable content Wink .

Come to think of it, I like anything by Stephen King. The short story Secret Window, Secret Garden that was recently made into a move( Secret Window) is an excellent story. Langoliers is another.
healyrj
At last someone has written about something I felt we could have almost written ourselves. All the way through I thought 'I could have written this, because I felt it'. If you are the independent of mind and are angry with the non answers and sideline of the establishment, limited texts revealed and manipulated through fear, which I abandoned years ago, this is the beginning of the answers. This will bring you self empowerment, real material help into your life, powerful logic and put you in modern touch with the world spirit, you don't have to 'believe' you now KNOW how this cosmos works, now we know how the whole thing works better than before, we can begin to make our lives work and flourish and release the nonsense, guilt and grow into something loving, new and joyous. Read Read Read and then write your own conversational diary with your 'god'. I prefer to use the word 'spirit'. You are the image of spirit, and you are in control, learn how powerful words are, how to love and help everyone, learn of the tools the vocabulary of the cosmos and spirit world. Then tell someone else, this will bring us from the darkness into the light.
Keran
The only serie i ever read: Discworld
ck88
The Lord of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.
okullar
palavra wrote:
http://www.amazon.ca/Essentials-Islamic-Faith-Fethullah-Gulen/dp/9757388327

this is my book
nice!
johnsabotta
I havn't actually gotten around to LOLITA, but...

THE GIFT
PALE FIRE
PNIN
TRANSPARENT THINGS

and of course

THE COLLECTED SHORT STORIES
JoseRizal
my taste in literature has changed over the years, but if i have to come up with a favorites list, these books will make it (in no particular order):
  • Roots - Alex Haley
  • The Godfather - Mario Puzo
  • Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
  • Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
  • Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
  • Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien
also, one of the unforgettable stories i've ever read is "Flowers for Algernon", the short story version.
reddishblue
I love Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The Hobbit and the Entire Artimis Fowl Series Very Happy
p1nkapp1e
i love books by Jodi Picolt.
it deal with alot of controversy faced in society nowadays.
besides that, i enjoy reading Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter.
and of course, the Bible, as someone had already mentioned.
Good day! (:
Neumaennl
The best book I've ever read is "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett - I've read it twice in German and once in English.
The second best book for me is "The Stand" by Stephen King.
TurtleShell
hmm...so many people say their favorite book is the Da Vinci code. I'm a little surprised and just wanted to ask you something.

Here's my thinking: if I just asked someone what their favorite book was, and they said "oh I don't know, the da vinci code", I'd assume that they didn't read that much. I'd assume that they picked the da vinci code to read because everyone was doing it and they thought "well might as well get on that band wagon so I have something to discuss with everybody else," or whatever. Maybe they just got really curious, hearing all the talk. ...and then, when they realized that they "couldn't put it down" and they just "had to know" what was going to happen next they thought, I think this is my favorite book.

But if you're bothering to post on the "what's your favorite book forum" I'd assume you read a lot, you have an interest in reading, and therefore, you'd like to know what other people have to say about books. I looked on this forum hoping to get some good ideas. So...is it seriously your favorite book?

I've read the da vinci code. I think it's interesting, sure--like everybody else, I couldn't put it down. But I read all the time, so in the scope of my mind, da vinci code was just a fun book. It was gimmicky and the characters were basically empty... The whole thing was just like one long riddle. It was fun, but that's it. I can't imagine putting it up against other books I've read that were more personally satisfying..

So I guess I'd love to hear why da vinci code was your big pick. My favorite books include The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, Tale of Two Cities, The Once and Future King, and Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Oh yes, and I think I would also put Stephen King's Dark Tower series on there too. I love wordsmiths, so anyone with a better vocabulary than I have who can wield it well will make my list, but in the end, all I want is a great story and amazing characters.

by the way, for those of you who mentioned Ender's Game, you reminded me I want read it and I'd love to hear more.

oh yeah, and for the pillars of the earth person who just posted--I read that too, I thought it was great! It's been a couple years, but I remember that I just kept saying, "oh no, what's going to happen to prior philip NOW??"Smile
Helios
Master and Margarita by M. A. Bulgakov.
Eddyh
Harry Potter,
i like them all Smile
arrtex
it is very hard to pick just one there are so many of them but I like these:
Karl May : winetou
all Isaac Asimov books
most of Harry Harrison books

and than Taj Pan, LOTR, Harry Potter is also quite good,

well and may be you will know writter Jeno Rejto a.k.a. Paul Howard his books are so funny sometimes when I read them .... LOL

but there are also meny others as i said it is very hard to pick just one or two even ten is not enough.

PS: if you guys know Jeno Rejto let me know Smile
sergio_san_san
One of the best books I ever read was the perfume, and since 1 year you can also see a movie about it.
Gutte
it is harry potter al of them!
matrixuk321
harry potter is good i like reading them books
orshamir
my favourite book is harry potter 6.
its the best book i ever saw.
Shin
I don't know which one is my favorite of all time. It's so many, so difficult to choose, but The Da Vinci Code is my current favorite i must say. All the detail has been carefully verified. Well done.
roninmedia
Starship Troopers. (Nothing like the movie because it is way better)
The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
kemosabi107
Kafka wrote:
Haruki Murakami, F. Kafka, G. Markes, F Dostoevsky, A Chehov, W Golding, G Orwell

Haruki Murakami is my favorite author too. I also like John Banville. Never cared for many American authors. I'm not too knowledable in literature though. I blame it on school giving me a distaste for reading with all the crap they forced us to read. I also blame it on being too busy with other shit. Almost finished reading everything Murakami's written, then I'll probably start re-reading his stuff =D
lordfrikk
If I can say sereis of books, then it'd be Dark Tower by Stephen King... it's just awesome. To say one book, definitely IT by the same author.
welshsteve
Haven't read that many but I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. Also enjoyed Deception Point by Dan Brown, Shattered Icon by Bill Napier and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King
fiorello
Harry Potter 4 part.

Why ?? Its the only book i have been reading bcoz i wanted. I have been reading in night Razz for 5-6 hours
catscratches
The absolute best books ever written is the "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. It rules all other books!! It's just a sad thing about them... I've already read them all. Crying or Very sad
cmfi_germany
Well
The best book, i ever read is the BIBLE.
Now, i´m reading Revival by Charles Finney.
Nice book.

Last month, it was : The Broker from John Grisham
and Terms of Limits from Vince Flynn
Alkmania
I really don't have the patience to read the bible... I know it's good to learn from and stuff but it's far too dull...

The book i really enjoyed was Harry Potter, i'm still waiting for the last part to come out this summer Laughing Laughing
scimitarmoon
There are so many books I love! I would say my absolute favorite book is Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, but I also adore the rest of the books in that series. The rest of my list includes The Hyperion Cantos, Ilium/Olympos, The Great Book of Amber, The Ruins of Ambrai, the Dragon Prince/Dragon Star trilogies, The Golden Key, Aztec, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. So far as books not in English go, I adore Мастер и Маргарита (Master and Margarita) by Bulgakov and Мы (We) by Zamyatin.
ainieas
My latest favourite is The Outsider by Albert Camus
cmfi_germany
Have you noticed guy,
That we are living in a deceny
Where you can get every kind of books you want?

The tragedy of our generation is that we ´re really losing all interest for books.
The most of those still reading books are those reading
in the train or in the bus.
Those reading professionally
And the specialised newspapers readers.
That ´s anyway the trend hier in Germany.

What about the country you are living in? Have you noticed the same?

cmfi_germany
noromyxo
My latest favorite is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I am left without words to describe it. Although it's scifi, I suggest you read it because it is one of the few books with great endings. Its not so hard to read either, because the theme is still totally human.

Previous favorites include: The Fifth Mountain by Paolo Coelho, which for me is the best of his books, The Giver, Anthem (it's actually a novella) by Ayn Rand, and Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell (nonfiction).
Alias
I really like to read those fantasy novel books like Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Harry Potter Series, and the Tales of Earthsea. These books are really amazing. Smile
Vladalf
My favourite book is Special Mission by Edgard Thome. It allways makes me a pleasure to read it.
Warriorza
The 1001 greatest jokes of the 20th century! Razz
sondosia
I have a lot of favorite books so it's hard to remember all of them, but I'll try:

1. It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. It's about a guy with depression, but as the title implies, it's also funny at times.

2. 1984 by George Orwell. It's just a really interesting book that makes you think.

3. Anything by Scott Westerfeld and Sarah Dessen. They write science fiction and realistic fiction, respectively, but their books are more captivating than anything else in their genres.

4. Arch of Triumph by Erich Remarque. The characters basically speak in wise sayings and stuff, but none of it's cliche. I just really like it.

~M~
Notigam
my favorite book is The Hobbit, it rocks
littletomi714
I mostly read online stuff, but the two best books I have read are: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain and Animal Farm, by George Orwell. These are both terrific reads.
Warriorza
Ahh, Tom Sawyer is a really awsum classic story, I like it too.
Thomas_uk
my favorite book changes all the time but I have recently read "the speed of the dark" by Alex shearer, it is kind of science fiction and is really good. I would recomend it to anyone. However it takes a while to get into and the story is complecated.
scarfiegirl
my favourite book will probably always be the lion, the witch and the wardrobe. I loved the book when I was a kid and I still love it.
abhishek_2410
BOOKS WRITTEN BY H.G.WELLS r also very good.it is on topics like science fiction.i love the books like the time machine .
lusian
The Harry Potter books are my favorite and I can't wait for the 7th book to be published.

The Harry Potter books were the first books I read in English and that's how I started to learn English. I have also read the first four books in Portuguese (Brazilian) and it's funny how they call muggles trouxas... Laughing

I have also read Mugglenet's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7. This book has very good theories and I recommend it to anyone who's waiting for the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book #7).
MistDragon
One of my favorite books would have to be Lord of the Rings. It was pretty boring for the first... 12 chapters or something, but it picks up when they get to Bree. I also enjoy the Hobbit (perhaps even more than LotR) because of the simple adventure theme, and it was much less dark than LotR. The Silmarillion fascinated me because I'm designing my own fantasy world. Also the Quenya translations in the back were fun.

I also love R.A. Salvatore's books on Drizzt. I need to read those again...
UCLighthouse
Hands down, my favorite classic book is "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen. That book is hilarious. I love the descriptions of Elizabeth's thoughts and Darcy's motives. I suppose what makes it my favorite though, is that I can identify with the characters myself. Austen makes the characters real and shows how even the best intentioned people can be found to be overly proud or prejudiced against those who they think have some sort of superior fault. In this case, a poor person can be seen as prejudice for holding something against another person just because they are rich. Now, of course that wasn't Elizabeth's complaint, but that is just one example. Overall, it is a well written book with many funny twists.
3reasons
The best book I have ever read has been PHP fast & easy web development by Julie C, Meloni. It is a book about PHP programming.

So why is it my favorite book? Practicality. That is why. The book teaches you the scripting language in easy to follow language and lets you apply what you have learnt in minutes.

Learning PHP can enable you to generate revenue online. It was my first book and helped provide me with a solid foundation. A foundation which enabled me to learn PHP quickly and then utilize it for my purposes.
chastise
Definitely Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. It's a great book, for young adults at least. The book is about Vampires, and is well written. Packed with suspense and a bit a romance.
skugge
Jan Kjærstad novel "Homo Falsus" is pretty cool. Im also a big fan og Hemmingway, obvious pick would be "The Old Man and the Sea".
shaun6
my favorite book is eragon
PP_DK
I'm a Chatolic and my favorite book is the Bible, it is very interesting and It theaches every one a really good way of living and shows the greatnnes of our God. At the begining of each chapter there is an introduction that helps you to better understand the authors point of view because it tells you the age, the place, geographics and other details.
magneto_ms
Definitely liked Jurassic Park. Nearly all the stuff alistair maclean writes. And also 'The Firm' by Grisham.

But really got into the habit of reading Harry Potter books too. First 2 were more suited 4 kids. But she has picked up her writing in the rest.
prilly_baby
I have 2 favourite books so far. Memoirs of a geisha and The samurais garden. I like reading books of japanese styles because I feel like a can relate to them better. Good reads that everyone I recommend to everyone!
sonicj
I would have to go with "The Outsiders" by S.E.Hinton I was first introduced to this book by my older sister who was reading it for school. She would come home and read it to me and my brother.
Bruhna
My favourite book is the code of the Vinci.
Dosky
My preferred book is a book writing in Italian, I believe has been translated in few languages, however I write you the on the titles, it is a triology: "Le Cronache del Mondo Emerso", literally: "The Chronicles of the Emerged World"..

It is a really beautiful book, that speaks of a girl to which it likes to fight, and its objective is that to become a "Rider of Dragon", but many problems rise up, and at the end, after a lot of mishaps, she succeeds in crowning its dream, even if not for very.. -_-
FireFoxDB
My favorite book ( actually series ), is Artemis Fowl.

The author is Eoin Colfer.

It's about a 12 year old genius boy who is in the criminal world and also try's to steal gold from the elves.
lady_yavanna
i would like to say The Lord Of The Rings, but its really the entire series of stuff JRR and Christopher Tolkien wrote bout it i like the most. i cant choose just one book-i love too many lol
Malchior
PP_DK wrote:
I'm a Chatolic and my favorite book is the Bible, it is very interesting and It theaches every one a really good way of living and shows the greatnnes of our God. At the begining of each chapter there is an introduction that helps you to better understand the authors point of view because it tells you the age, the place, geographics and other details.

Well I'm a catholic as well and I love the bible but my favorite book is Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince or mainly the Harry Potter series. The Harry Potter series is very famous already have 4 movies based on the first four books. The fifth movie is still coming soon.
war-of-tribes
I'm a real fantasy fan Smile
mein favourite book is "The Orcs" (german: "Die Orks"). It's written by Stan Nicholls.
It's very bloody^^
Everyone who love the "stinky death" (orcs) will love this book Smile
oleszka
my favorite book is The Little Prince... and also I like all books by Marina Tsvetayeva, Ray Bradbury and Sergey Kozlov (two of them are Russian authors as u see)
Captain Fertile
The best book I have read (Non Fiction) is “The Richest Man in Babylon” by Geaorge S Classon.

It was written in the 1920’s but it is still the greatest book to help keep the money you earn and make the most of it for a more secure financial life no matter how rich or poor you are or want to be.

Written in a way ANYONE can understand it is a great read and a wonderful gift for others too – I have bought it for a number of people. I am beginning to sound like a commercial now so will stop there.

Great stuff!

I will get back to you with my fiction choice once I can narrow the field down to single figures. Rolling Eyes
Hellblazer
Dagon from H.P. Lovecraft...
qebab
I have to admit that I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it before, but I'll happily recommend A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. Admittedly not one book, but a series that isn't yet finished. The first book in the series is probably one of my favorites, Game of Thrones is exciting from beginning until end, and is very well written.

For more "classic" literature, I have to say, Don Quixote is probably the best book I have ever read, and the only book to come close to it, is The Idiot by Dostoyevsky. Highly subjective of course, but hey, you did ask for my favorites. Smile
jayrelle
Mine is "Roses are Red" by James Patterson.. Laughing
kmvinodkm
Crime & Punishment by Dostoyevsky
Yoshiki
My new favorite is The count of Monte-Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Great book. And if you have seen the movie before reading the book, it gives you even more: the movie is so lame compared to the book which has a great plot, lots of nice characters, it's exciting and there is enough action. And the telling is good. The names of the characters might be only flaw of this book, because after the beginning they have changed the names and it was confusing at first but after thinking about them for a while it became clear and it was really enjoyable to read the book.

Great book, I recommend it to each of you. From scale 1-10, I would give this an 9½.
Whong
My favourite book is definitely the Holy Bible, the Word of God! Very Happy Wink

I'm not into books, this is the only book that I really like to read! Wink
gopal
jules verne...altho century old....but his
around the world in 80 days
20000 leage under the sea
mysterious island
michal stragoff
five weeks in baloon

etc are the coolest of all time.

also mark twain is one of my favourite author....
kurdt78

My favourite book is "Icestation" / Matthew Reilley.
A very good book!!
BHSDKP
The Da Vinci Code- Impelled me to rethink the way I looked at the world.

Kite Runner- Provides an indepth view to the suffering of society in the Middle East.
psydevil
well i mainly like philosophy books, and action books, like interview with a vampire, 24, edgar allan poe and b.lee philosophies. Smile
Soulfire
Although made for much smaller kids (grades 6-Cool, I really like the Pendragon series. It is an engaging, very quick read.

But my favorite all-time book is the DaVinci Code. Few books ever get me to the point where I am excited to read. TDVC got me to the point where I couldn't stop reading for hours at a time, I almost finished the book in only a couple days (MAJOR feat for me).

The excitement built on every page, I couldn't read fast enough and I always wanted more!
slasonic
Nameless wrote:
My favourite book changes quite often (since I read so much I often change which genre I like the most etc.) but I'd have to say my all-time favourite book would be Lord of the Rings.

Not Bad, I like Catcher in the Rye.
cornga56
My favorites for right now are a few Stephen Baxter books: Manifold: Time, Manifold: Space, Manifold: Origin. I found these books very interesting because they play heavily on alternate realities and have a lot of physics based plot with some theoretical physics mixed in to make it really interesting.
I found Origin very interesting because there's a super-species of gorillas that appear in the story that have this crazy ability to form objects based on thought. It sounds far out, but it really does fit in with the story perfectly and it's very compelling.
smartpandian
I have read books or Novels in two languages. One on my mother Tongue , Tamil and India's Official language English..

My Favorite Books in English..
Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
Five Point Someone(chetan bagat)

I love Asterix and Obelix ( have read in English )

My Favourite Books in Tamil..
Ponniyin Selvan (Of Course, all Tamilans)
Naan Krishnadevarayan (Ra Ki Rangarajan)
Paarthiban kanavu (kalki)
fervent
I read it once, during my last elementary year. We had a novel study, I choose it.
It was good, very good to be exact.

But, right now my favourite book is You don't know me by David Klass.
TurtleShell
Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon--yay!
sambhav
My favourite is Five Point Someone - by Chetan Bhagat

and I also prefer Agatha Christie.
xiaozhu
ahahaha, i had never read a book

in my whole life yet.....Sad....

nursary rimes?
chastise
My favourite books include:
The Secret Garden [Frances Hodgson Burnett]
Twilight & New Moon [Stephenie Meyer]
You Don't Know Me [David Klass]
chastise
fervent wrote:
I read it once, during my last elementary year. We had a novel study, I choose it.
It was good, very good to be exact.

But, right now my favourite book is You don't know me by David Klass.

Awesome, I love David Klass' works, in fact that is my favourite too.
Siddhesh
The GOOGLE Story by David Vise is one of my favourite books. The book explains how Google was developed & setup by 2 young graduates Larry Page & Sergey Bin studying at Stanford University. While doing Ph. D. at Stanford they were searching for d info online using then available search engines such as AskJeeves, altavista etc but they couldn't get relevant info. so they decided to come up with a better search engine & developed Google. the profs & students at Stanford found Google very fast & relevant info was available unlike other search engines. they couldn't finish their thesis for phd as they setup Google Inc within a yr. the book describes in detail how they persuaded investors to invest in their firm still retaining d control over it. it also gives insights of Google work culture, innovation & why its is motto "don't be evil".
Quote:
Arise, Awake and stop not till the goal is reached
classical_c
The Tomeow when the war began series by john marsden it's quite popular in australia, meant to be for young people but good read for all. it's about a some teenagers going camping for the weekend and they come back and war has broken out and everyone has been captures so they turn into gorilla fighters. Awsome Stuff.
evanc88
Just added Gob's Grief by Chris Adrian to my list. Amazing.
ohmygod
my favourite books are donkihote,tieng goi noi hoang da and so on......
how about you? do you like them?
Kishimaru
My favorite books are:
Eragon (FAV!)
Inkheart
Inkspell (sequel)
The Thief Lord
One of the many Titanic books
Love anything with fantasy, or greek mythology in it, swordplay
Harry Potter
Walk Two Moons (fav fav FAV, made me cry, laugh, etc.)
----------
My fav authors are:
Sharon Creech (Walk Two Moons author)
Cornelia Funke (The Thief Lord, Inkheart, Inkspell author)
xela730
James Baldwin's The Fire Next Time

Biting, intense, honest, in your face social commentary.

"God gave the rainbow sign, no more water, the fire next time"
azbuky
My favourite writes are Stendhal and Dostoievsky, but right now, I'm reading a book by Orsen... Smile
jabronie25
Fahrenheit 451 and Carrie
sopetite
I absolutely adore the book "THE QUEEN OF THE DAMNED" by Anne Rice. It's quite romantic, dark and brooding. You can really picture the story as it progresses
sonnytheman
I really liked "Notre Dame de Paris" by Victor Hugo, I read it in French and its such a great story

Other books at the top of my list are:
To Kill a Mockingbird
Catcher in the Rye
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Jurassic Park (honestly, the book is a great read....not deep, but fun)
anonymous21
There are some books that I read...

Goosebumps, Chicken Soup for the teenage soul, Harry Potter.
kopnima
my favorite book is the godfather saga i have read it 3 times. It has interesting idea and is so realistic. Mario puzo rulez Cool
theodred
Love all of J.R.R Tolkiens books about Middle-Earth. Silmarillion, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, Children of Húrin, and simply everyone. I also love the Artemis Fowl books, and and the Legend of Deverry series.
Shike
Well, I guess I'll throw in my two copper.

For me it depends on my mood. I've recently re read the entire kushiel's legacy series. It's a fascinating world.

I have to say I read Snow Crash at least 2 or 3 times a year. I enjoy most novels in the Forgotten Realms world, though I also play D&D in that world too (since it was released as a campaign world in the 80's). I also really enjoyed the Dune book.

I also enjoy the Anita Blake series and the Marideth Gentry series.

As for non-fiction, I've been doing a lot of research on Ancient Celtic Culture and Mythology, Ancient Greek Culture, Legends of the Holy Grail and Arthurian Legend. I've also been teaching myself several scripting and markup languages.
Vladalf
I just finished reading Theodor Constantin - Capitanul de cursa lunga and I can say that it's my favourite bool. This author made more then 10 books with the characters from this book. I'm going to read them all.
PrettyMuchAmazing
OMG! I love to read! It's like, my favorite thing to do! lol I've read a lot of books in my life and it's really hard to pick just one! Well, there's the Harry Potter series, anything by Sarah Dessen, Pretty Little Liars, the Worriors series, and lots of others that I can't think of at the moment! lol
Grahambel
Mouses and Humans
lupi
hi all

you want to know my favourite book?

Mhhh, well, I don't have a favourite book.
I hate read a book and I hate Literature.

Once my teacher ask my an my whole class;"Would you like to read, or did you have to read?

Everybody except for me said;" I would like"
and I said;"I have to read"

other people like my here?

bye all
mjohnson
It is <The importance of life> by Yutang Lin
bulek
My four favorites are:
Harry Potter (all books), The Lord of the rings trilogy, To Kill a Mockingbird and Eragon.
branschorg
I would have to say my favourite book is Red Serpent by Frans G Bengtsson, a swedish book, its about a boy facing many adventured during the viking era.
judgehawk
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell

A compelling narrative, discussing the totalitarian system of government with artistic flair and brutal realism. What makes this book a trul great read is that we can see in our daily lives problems and situations reminiscant of the novel. The increased threat from terrorism has created a more surveillance orientated world, and we liken the current situation to how Orwell's creation was like when moving towards what it was like. Thats why it is brilliant - the fact that it is a relevant today as it was when it was published, perhaps even more so.
mikkos2000
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
Flavia
My favorite book? Rolling Eyes
Well, I'm reading Stephen King's Cell now and it's very good so far.
But I have to say that my favorite (so far) is Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code. Very intriguing...
JessieF
1. Dragonsblood by Anne McCaffrey
2. Harshini by Jennifer Fallon
3. Eye of the Labyrinth by Jennifer Fallen
4. Blood Games by Richard Laymon
5. The Door to December by Dean Koontz
6. By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz

I have Many more! ^^ I absolutely love to read. Smile
LeatherRose
1. harry potter(all)
2.twilight hunger
3.i was a teenage fairy
4.violette and clair
5.waste land
6.weetzie bat
7.dangerous angels
8.cheroke bat
9.ecstasia
10.goat girls
11.nymph
12.cat in the hat books haha!!

numbers 3-11 are by the same author..i never read a book from her that i have not liked thus far! however i have very many more to read from her..
jerredk
i don't read very much but i read all harry potters and my favorit is the last one
the clue :p
everbady if you haven't read this book do it !
web_harman
hmmm i am not a book lover or a regular reader but uptill now there is a book which i remember i enjoyed a lot reading....

infact i had a final semester exam 2 days hence and i just started reading that novel for relaxation but i continued readiong it untill it eneded..... and i really like the author the way he wrote it

the name of the book is FIVE POINT SOMEONE by Chetan Bhagat

this book is about the life of a guy in IIT (indian institue of technology) ..... how is gets ragged and finds friends..... then the claases..... he fells in love..... lives of other two firends he has...... stealing of question paper from main building........ finally they graduate from that college....... i mean it was awsome experience
PennyLane
My favourite book of all time must be the 'His Dark Materials' by Philip Pullman. It consists of 3 books: Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass.
It's a bit fantasy, a bit action and a bit adventure...
Lord Klorel
my favorite books are:
1) Sherlock Holmes and the hound of the Baskervilles
2) After the funeral from Agatha Christie
3) the three musketiers from Alxandre Dumas
cornga56
My favorite book(s) for awhile now have been the Manifold series by Stephen Baxter. Very thought provoking and wonderful storyline and character development. Warning though, if you haven't the slightest clue about physics, quantum or otherwise and some idea of Particle theory and string theory you will definitely get lost. I've reccomended these books to many of my friends but they just had too much trouble understanding the concepts. Enjoy!
alibadman
i like harry potter xD i new book just came out in Dutch. a few days ago
amicalindia
Batatyachi chawl by P.L.Deshpande......... Great book
futeis
the last book iread called " triumph of the sun" by w. smith...is a historic adventure with a flavour of romance in the north africa...sudan...brilliently writen...rcommended
devotchka
Un Uomo Finito by Giovanni Papini (The Failure).
Of course I love many, many, many other books(am a book-aholic) but this one touched my heart in a way that I cannot explain in words.

Grazie, Giovanni...
Teva
Whittling down a reading list to a favourite few can be difficult but I'll give it a shot. Until a few years ago it would have been a difficult choice between The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien and the Hogfather or Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. Those are still some of my favourites, as is the slightly different genre'd Birdsong by Faulks. In fact, all Fantasy books aside I think Birdsong is my favourite read.

But my all time favourite is not one but six books - the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies by Robin Hobb. I discovered Robin Hobb's books nearly two years ago now, and nothing else has compared since Smile
chartcentral
Can we have favorite books instead? Oh, I noticed others are giving multiple answers too.
My favorite books are actually series. The Harry Potter books (Years 1 to 7) by JK Rowling and The Hardy Boys (any incarnation) by Franklin W. Dixon make me enjoy reading their stories the most.
Coen
My favourite book, by far, is The Long Walk by Stephen King.
secronin
At Swim Two Birds by Flann O'Brien
kmwhthse
I have recently finished 'The Lollipop Shoes' a sort of follow-up to Chocolat, both by Joanne Harris. I loved the original as it seemed like a fairytale for grown-ups and the sequel - if anything - was even better. She (Harris) is just amazing at creating a feel-good atmosphere!
I also read 'The Time Keeper's Daughter' not long ago, which was amazing and really touched me as a mother!
I am now reading the follow-up to the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime....
will keep you posted!
thefeast
Heir apparent is my favorite book. written by vivian vande velde. she visited our school and autographed our books. this girls goes into this videogame and has to try til she gets it right. i thought there was also something about gameover in the game means gameover in real life.
blk3
My favorite the is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, too bad the author died before finishing the last book. I also like George R. R. Martin's Song of fire and Ice series.
MaxStirner
A difficult question, since the answer changes too often, but none the less:

Fiction:
Non-Fiction:
Authors:

If you have noticed a discrepancy between my favorite books and authors, then you are right. For one, I'm trying not to be too repetitious if possible and second: my favorite novels were not necessarily written by my favorite authors since to get on the latter list one book alone will not do it. (I hope this does not sound too conceited, the only way for me to make money writing is if I tried my hand at ransom notes.)

For what it's worth. Max.
fengtai
I like looking the joke the book, can let the person like this not be easy to be old. Laughing Laughing
kuyman
My favorite series of books are The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Douglas Adams, the genius behind these works, spent years crafting their hilarity to ensure that they would just be amazing. And they definitely are. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't picked up one because they thought it would be dumb or whatever pick one up. It's an amazing piece of literature and one that is sure to subtly (or not) rewire your brain as you read it.
zellfaze
My favorite book is Magic's Price. Its an amazing book by Mercedes Lackey. Its a very sad book about a boy named Vanyel, who throughout the trilogy ends up watching all of his friends and family die, at the end of the book he dies. As I said quite sad, a lot of suicide involved in the book. Vanyel trys to kill himself, his first lover does kill himself, his second lover trys to kill himself. My family has the entire trilogy in one book. Very Happy
votd
Hell, that would be diffcult question. I won't be orginal and will vote on Harry Potter, yet again.

I liked Little Prince, Oscar and Ms. Rose and some other, though.
flowerpower
I love Agatha Christie's books. Her narration is deliciously witty and engaging and in a beautiful English. Just what I love in books. Harry Potter's series of course! Mrs Rowling did a very fine job. There's also Sophie's World from Joostein Gardner. A beginner's guide to the world of philosophy through the eyes of a little Sophie. When I was younger I was a huge fan of Christopher Pike (or any horror books in fact) and Enid Blyton and Tintin (a french comic). There are others I think but I don't remember them just now.
yourtrips
My favorite boak is Anthony Horrowitz with Point Blanc. But i never read. I have read like 2 ( normal 100+ page's) books in my life Confused Rolling Eyes . I hate reading but i can it Smile ( lolz ).
jerredk
My favourite book is Darren Shan De groot meester van het kwaad. Yea it's a translation to dutch. Officel english but forgot the name. It's about demons , werewolfs , ... A very very good book! 10/10
mtthff
Schachnovelle, Stefan Zweig
sorry, I don't know the english titel, "chess short story" perhaps.
It dosn't matter, you have to read it.
djcaution
Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series is the best read I've ever had. I'm only on the second book but wow does it have me hooked. I dont even like fantasy novels but these books are just amazing.
MaxStirner
mtthff wrote:
Schachnovelle, Stefan Zweig
sorry, I don't know the english titel, "chess short story" perhaps.
It dosn't matter, you have to read it.

"The Royal Game" is the English title, although it has also been published under "Chess Story". Stefan Zweig's novel is also near the top of my avorites list.

1. Cannery Row (John Steinbeck)
  2. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
  3. Cien Años de Soledad (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
  4. Schachnovelle (Stefan Zweig)
  5. The Big Sleep (Raymond Chandler)
megwings
In order of greatness:

Neil Gaiman - American Gods
Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
China Mieville - Perdido Street Station
Albert Camus - The Stranger
Kirara
My favorite book is DEMIAN, wrote for HERMANN HESSE.

This book change my live.

kitsrock
I wonder if anyone has ever mentioned Talents and Geniuses by Gilbert Highet, published in 1957. He is an old fashioned writer whose style of writing is long and flowing, not unlike many authors from that era I was told. The book is a collection of essays written by Highet on appreciation of literary arts, people, movies and languages. I found this book at a bookfair in my university for a dollar, and as soon as I read the first line

Quote:

If you cultivate the sense of wonder, you can find beauty in every living thing - not only in the obviously handsome animals like tigers and their domestic cousins, not only in the most admired fish like salmon and in the most elegant insects like butterflies, but even in the grotesques of nature: the intricate lobster, the weirdly angular mantis, the humble but valuable protozoan, and that sinisterly smiling survival, the crocodile.

I knew I was going to like this book. Even to this day, I still enjoy reading random excepts of it, and I value this book far more than any other books I have.

Oh, I also love Dubliners by James Joyce and The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. I can't wait till my exams are over and I can start on my The Unabridged Collection of Edgar Allan Poe.

Here's my favorite excerpt from the Dubliners

Quote:
It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.
hackertorrent
dan brown ,satyajit roy those are my fav.....
chartcentral
My favorite books are those from the Hardy Boys and the Harry Potter series. Smile
mvdh
My all-time favourite book has to be "one hundred years of solitude" by marquez.

Its such an intriguing and fascinating story, that makes u wanna read on and on...
MythicalFault
My favorite book is likely "Wizard's First Rule" by Terry Goodkind. It's the beginning of the Sword of Truth series. This book is a good example that children aren't the only ones who enjoy a good fairy tale. It's also great that it can hold up as a stand alone story, but also spans into a huge universe if you continue to read the series.
ccube921
My favorite book is SLAWTER by Darren Shan a writer of fantasy, in gory detail but quite original, my favorite writers and books are people that wil refute what is commonly accepted and think outside the box. Artemis Fowls are fighting round here but Shan writes faster than Colfer so too bad he will not be graced by my compliments teeheehee. De Groot Meester do you know what that is in english?
gugusm
Hmm, a lot of them, Harry Potter series is great, but I'm sure there are better books Wink NOthing comes to my mind now though.
BlackRainbow

The Beach by Alex Garland Smile

it is the best book i have read, everyone should read it! lol. i have read it more than 10 times and its still not old

also Ben Elton has some great books like Dead Famous and also Blind Faith is rlly good

pmehta51
I am not a huge reader. It is not that I don't like to read, but I don't really get time. And some time I get leazy. Eventhough I have decided to read every day some good book, I don't always follow it.
Any way topic here is what is my favorite book.
Actually there is no perticular book that is my favorite. I like any book that teaches good virtues in life. I like comantry on all hindu scriptures by differen people. I enjoy reading books by great hindu saints realated to hinduisum.
I also enjoy readig mazagin that provides latest political news, and also magazine with latest technical information. Also love reading newspaper that has good informative new, and not just timepass, space feeling information. I also like to read story books that teaches morals in life. I don't really like novels. I think they are huge time pass, and triggers lots of bad emotion in person. wery few novels are there that can impliment good quality in person.
So give me any book that will help me in my life going upward and taking others with me to, and I will enjoy such a book.
RedRackham
I don't think I can name one "favorite book" there are so many, one book that stands out in my mind and one that I've read three or four times is a book called "They Stood In The Door" by Don MacNaughton (Published by Arthur H. Stockwell Ltd) A totally compelling true story and I am always sadened to reach the end of the book. I haven't read it for three or four years now, I may pick it up again soon. To give you an Idea of the books content, the dedication inside the front cover reads...

This book is dedicated to all past members of the now disbanded 16th independent Parachute Brigade. A formation that has proven to be sorely missed, and in memory of:

Ian McKellar
Steve Harrison
Terry Brown
Tom Mechan
Steve Prior
and Gordon "Doc" Findlay.

Just some of those who have died while on operational service.

Imo, this book should be a part of the national curiculum.
rippentrop
I think my favorite book must be Moby DIck or the fine introduction BBs found on this web site. Both are long and detailed, probably involve a guy named ishmael, and form a picture about obsession and darkness. It seems to me that Melville may have been involved in the creation of this site. He was a young guy maybe he is still alove and made it to belgiuum before he decided never to sail again... or fly.
schooldays
Fiction.... The Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger - moving, funny and intelligent.

Non-fiction... The Beatles by Bob Spitz - very, very, very long and indepth picture of The Beatles and the sixties. The amount of research in this just amazes.
jabce85
The Lord of the Rings is my favorite. I have yet to read anything that painted such great pictures in my mind... The only bad thing about that is that I absolutely hated the movies. The movies tried to take away what my mind had pictured, thus, I hated the movies for that.
cguido21
Walden-Henry David Thoreau, Sylvia Plath, Invisible Monsters-Chuck Palahnuik, Brave New World-Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde, Sex, Drugs, And Cocoa Puffs-Chuck Klosterman, Small Wonder-Barbara Kingsolver, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest-Ken Kesey, On the Road- Jack Kerouac, John Steinbeck, A Hundred Years of Solitude- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Fahrenheight 451- Ray Radbury, Anthem- Ayn Rand, Ernest Hemingway, Rumblefish-S.E, Hinton, but maybe Choke or Rant as the standout (Chuck palahnuik)
skif_85
Fight Club
The Godfather
Les trois mousquetaires
toadinhishole
Gormenghast is a stunning, language playing read. Its Gothic, lonely and bleak. Bit of a dizzying epic I'm loathe to put down. A shame the author died before he could finish the trilogy because the third ones fragmented and bizzare, though its still got his eccentric use of language.

Pratchett. And now he has alzheimers its all going wrong.

On the Road is magical. It just grabbed me man. Kerouac pulls you in takes you traveling up the spine of America. I swear I wore the soles of my shoes down just reading it.
Lily
Pijnstillers, by Carry Slee
dpakmenon
My fav happens to be 'Namesake' by Jhumpa Lahiri which was later transformed into a wonderfull movie of the same name by Mira Nair.

The beginning of the book is a series of episodes that could stand on their own as short stories, but they serve to introduce and build up the characters of Ashoke and Ashima and of their son Gogol. After he moves away from home, the narrative takes us with him on his lonely journey through a rather unfair share of bad luck and tragedy. Eventually, as he begins to find answers to some of his deepest held questions, a fresh breath of optimism enters his life.
kody
I just finished the Stephen King Dark Tower series. It took me like 10 years. I'm a pretty damn slow reader!

Good series though!
MeddlingMonk
I have several favourites at the moment...

Star Trek: Federation by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
Doctor Who: The Sands of Time by Justin Richards
This Present Darkness by Frank Peretti

The two sci-fi novels, Federation and The Sands of Time, are probably what one would call a "classic" story from each of their respective television series. Both of them involve time travel and try to incorporate all the elements that made each series a success. Other than that, I just like the plotlines.
stel4e
Pet Cemetery, Salem's Lot and almost all by Stephen King .... Historical books
Anshul_Jain
When it comes to favourite book, I think my favourite book is Dan Brown's Angels Smile & Demons Twisted Evil . I think that is the best book I have read so far Applause . I have read it 3 times & each time it felt much more interesting Surprised .
I think Dan Brown is the best in making fiction. The way he connected Science with God & real things with fictional is just awsome.The whole story was so well that I didn't want to leave it for a second.
Westerhof
Da vinci code, Dan Brown
fpwebs
My favourite book is actually the book that I'm reading right now. At the moment I am reading a book called Acheron from the Dark Hunter Series. It's a really good book.
honeyflash
I love the whole Princess Diaries series. =D
And everything Brazilian Literature.
the-blurb
My favourite book, and I recommend that everyone reads it because it is simply a hug in a book and will fill you with happiness, is Naive Super by the great Erlend Loe. I had to buy a second copy of it recently because my first had fallen apart due to being read too much.
littleladyluck
My favourite books have been the Harry Potter series and Agatha Christie's books. Simply enthralling and great plots written down.
EDDIE123
I love action- adventure books e.g James Bond, Alex Rider etc... But my favourite book of all time has to be notes from a small island by Bill Bryson. It is absolutely hilarious.
Tennisbollen
Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is my absolute favourite. I also like most of Stephen King's work.
izeigler
I like Ed Viesturs No Shortcuts to the top.

Right up there would be Looking into the Void as well.
kingpurple
im into the warhammer books written by william king and they are awesome
evilgeniuself
Charles Dickens is probably my favorite writer, with "A Two Cities" being my favorite book. Oliver Twist is also a very well done tale.
venometal
jack londons call of the wild is still my favourite
Arthur3009
OH MY GOSH, WITH SURE, TWILIGHT, stephenie meyer, makes a really great work with that, i actually L-O-V-E, and Harry Potter too, oh my gosh, it's all i gotten Neutral
Faraz
Harry Potter.
Xanatos
I would be hard to say... there are so many good ones out there but I would probably have to say that my top three are

Dreamcatcher- Stephen King
When the Wind blows- James Patterson
and the entire Dark Tower series also by Stephen King.
jessicawalker
"Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Folett

"Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis

"The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis

The "Wrinkle in Time" quintet by Madeline L'Engle

"The Little Prince" by Antoine De Saint-Exupery

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold

Oh, and sooo many more.
The-Nisk
1)His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman.
2)Small Mistress of A Big House & Smoke Belew by Jack London.
3)The Diary & Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk.

those are the few of my favourite ones.
Noremac
The best book ever is the godfather, it has everything. Otherwise I like psych thrillers and murder and biographies.
Joanne
The Matarese Circle and The Matarese Countdown both by Robert Ludlum

Scavenger Hunt by RL Stine
bchuminx
Favourite one would be Raymond E. Feist: magician apprentice, a memorable read about a orphan boy called Pug in realizing his calling to be the realm's most powerful magician and the one that bridges 2 worlds together..simple storyline if compared to mega LOTR but this book has in-depth character development and vivid description..
plus there are other books as well that i simply can't help but enjoy reading...Visioneering by Andy Stanley which talks about the importance about visioneering your life to a destination: a simple equation to summarize his book: visioneering=inspiration+conviction+action+determination+completion...another favourite would be Tony Parson's Man and Boy that talks about a father trying to meet all ends to save his marriage and raise up a kid..it really speaks how real is life..how hard is marriage and staying true to commitments...and bringing up kids to model after you..yeah as well what is love? since nowadays love is so much diluted..Harry Potter 4th Book the Goblet of Fire is a good read too if compared to the rest in the series ^^
Solon_Poledourus
I have mentioned this book before on other forums, and got lambasted for it, for some reason. But I just love the book 'Raptor', by Gary Jennings. Yeah, the ending kind of wound down in a not too thrilling way, but I can't tell you when I had last been so attatched to fictional characters.
It's about a hermaphrodite orphan of Germanic descent, growing up during the reign of Theodoric the Great during the 5th century. It's adventurous, funny, sad... just a truly compelling read. And slammed full of historical references, which I have a dorkish weakness for.

My brothers wife let me borrow it, and I read it, finished it, then immediately read it again. I kept doing that until the book fell apart. I still haven't gotten her a new copy.

So thrilled was I with that book, that when I saw another from the same author, I had to buy it. This one was called 'Aztec'. And it was damn near unreadable. All the unpronouncable names aside, it just seemed like a slow, less interesting version of 'Raptor'. Too bad, as I am fascinated with ancient mesoamerican culture.

Oh well.
thekidsareokay
my favourite book of all time has to be Jhumpa Lahiri's Interpreter of Maladies. i love that book so much i used it for my EE. Ever since reading that book, i can't get enough of Lahiri's books. like The Namesake. I nearly died of happiness when Unaccustomed Earth came out. somehow i think i'm a sucker for these books on Indian culture. Especially Indian migrants. i also started reading the Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai. and everyone keeps wondering why i am so into these books that focus on Indian culture.

And I have to admit i don't dare to watch The Namesake (the movie) because i'm afraid it'll ruin the book :/
Denvis
I'm the type of person who only reads when they have to. I don't have a favorite book although i've recently read the novel Looking for alibrandi (LFA).
themarine
My favorite books are epic stories with philisophical sidestepping. The following all fit, more or less, into this category, and are ranked by order of enjoyment as best I can amongst such greats (astrisks denote series):

Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo
Shogun, by James Clavell
Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card.*
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence, by Robert Pirsig
The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy, by Douglas Adams*
Discworld, by Terry Pratchett.*
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson
Native Son, Richard Wright.
Crime and Punishment, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Sophie's World, by Jostein Gaarder
Dune, Frank Herbert *

Other favorites that come to mind, in the order I think of them:
Harold & Maude, by Colin Higgins.
A Few Figs From Thistles, Edna St. Vincent Millay.
Willy Wonka & (The Chocolate Factory/The Great Glass Elevator), Ronald Dahl.
The Alchemist, Paulo Coelho.
The Little Prince, Antoine De Saint-Expury. (sp?)
Paddington Bear, by Micheal Bond.* (Why am I thinking of children's books?)

Notable Mention: Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco seems promising, though I haven't yet managed to finish anything by him. And the Illuminatus Trilogy seemed to fit my description of a treasured book, but didn't really do it for me at the time.

That's plenty for now, but I guess I can edit in anything major that's really good I think of later.
hangnhu
I'm sure I posted here already, but to add to my list
The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan
His Dark Material Trilogy by Philip Pullman
they're really good
sumit_ghosh
The book close to my heart is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. In this book, the author portrays the various colours of life... the ever-changing states of human relationship. We see here that how the central character,Pip, an orphan living with his married sister, learns to adopt and adapt to the ways of the world....how ultimately he realizes his own self-esteem and how he gears up to fight back the world ,which pounced upon him . The character of Estella, with whom Pip fell in love, represents the affluent luxurious strata of society. Biddy,the girl who leads a life of hard work and dedication, shows a very contrasting character to Estella. But we all know "All that glitters is not gold" , thus Pip regrets at the end of the book to have not given Biddy a chance to express her feelings for him....and also how Estella scorns him for anything he does....
Overall this book is very close to the portrait of human society and thus this book is very close to me!!! Surprised Very Happy
Silayon
"His dark materials" by Phillip Pullman and any of Matthew Reilly's books.

I especially like Reillys books because they're full of action, every page is full of fast-paced action, and Reilly still manages to describe the setting magnificently.
Greatking
THE BIBLE by God the Father the Son and the Holy Ghost
paul_indo
J R R Tilkien

Lord of the Rings
JessieF
JessieF wrote:
1. Dragonsblood by Anne McCaffrey
2. Harshini by Jennifer Fallon
3. Eye of the Labyrinth by Jennifer Fallon
4. Blood Games by Richard Laymon
5. The Door to December by Dean Koontz
6. By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz

I have Many more! ^^ I absolutely love to read. Smile

Ok, this has obviously changed since 2007. Laughing

1. The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (the rest of the series rocks!!)
2. The Immortal Prince by Jennifer Fallon (can't wait to read the rest of the series)
3. Dragonheart by ToddMcCaffrey
4. His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman
5. The Host by Stephanie Meyer

Is it that obvious I like fantasy and science fiction?
Rolling Eyes Laughing
ThirtyOne
I think David Weber's and Steve White's "Starfire" series is very good. Especially "Shiva Option". It's my best. Btw. I hate fifth book - "Exodus". It's written without David.

Radar
Fiction? Too much to choose from. Day of the Triffids is probably the book that I've read the most. Ender's Shadow is probably the book that I would like to read the most. Time Traveller's Wife I'm currently loving. In The Skin of a Lion I probably quote most often.

Non-fiction? The Bible!
ribozon
faust
CheDragon
My favorite book is 1984
kharol_016
Books written by Paulo Coelho, and John Grisham.
And my favorite book --> The little prince!
BuMe
My favorite Book is The General of the Dead Army it's wrote by Ismail Kadare
i like all book's of Ismail Kadare he is the best Razz
noobcake
My current favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo. But I've been reading the Inheritance Cycle recently. I prefer that over LotR actually, since LotR is such a hard read. I can't wait for the fourth book. Very Happy
Greenblizzard
Harry Potter series - The books I have read the most.
The Inheritance Cycle
His Dark Materials

I like fantasy.
Nintendo
Falling into Glory - Robert Westall

This book is a love story between a student and teacher across a stereotypical community of people. It's one of the most amazing stories I have read, and it made me think and learn a lot.

Brother in the Land - Robert Swindells

This is a story of survival during a nuclear holocaust of a boy and his brother living in a small town. Another one of my favourites.
TurtleShell
tidruG wrote:
Most likely, my favourite book is "A Tale Of Two Cities"... ok so the story, i'd give only 8/10.. but the writing style... the way the story unfolds, the choice of words, and the progression of the characters are all fantastic. Charles Dickens takes a simple love story about how we would sometimes die in order to keep the ones we truly love happy, and ingeniously carves a story with that in mind.... absolute genius...

And as for Harry Potter... well, it takes genius to come up just with that kind of a story... and fit everything in, and write it in such a way that it's simple enough for kdis to read, and engrossing enough for adults to want to read... though I'd give J.K. Rowling 9.5/10 for the storyline and all, I'd giver her only about 8/10 for the writing style... simply because it's modern literature and caters to readers who want a book that gives them the story as quick as possible, but the classics are classics because of the way they've been ingeniously written.

Don't you just love sydney carton? I think he may be my favorite fictional character, of all the fictional characters.

Favorite book=The Once and Future King.
JM_15
Meu livro favorito é o que eu to escrevendo Laughing
mazito
mmm is a hard one i think is "Cien Años de Soledad" By Gabriel García Márquez
Gitesh
Mine is Catch-22 by Joseph Heller and its sequels.It is considered as one of the greatest works of american literature. This book made me laugh out of chair and i find new things in it everytime i read it, besides its also very inspiring book to read.
Yossarian is the male part-agonist in this novel , and he is furious as he believes many people are after him to kill him in the war., in which he fights as a bomber pilot.
sketteksalfa
I just finish reading The Sen-Toku Raid. Its a war drama novel by John Mannock. Very nice story and events are surprising. I highly recommend it.
johannespilz
i felt in love with dostojewski's - crime and punishment. it was amazing. short but really intense!
ShannonHBC
Tim Burton's The Mystery Death of Oyster Boy and Other Stories. I love those poems and drawings so much.
TwoOfDiamonds
I can't say I have a favourite book but there are some that I really like . They are "Blue Mondays" by Arnon Grunberg, it's a wonderful book that makes you realize that all our actions will , in the end, show their effect on our lives, no matter who or what you are.
Another great book to read would be "Will you be there?" by Guillaume Musso, it's the kind of book that makes gets fiction and reality into a perfect balance, this almost made me want to become a doctor.
For the fantasy likers, "Chronicles of the Emerged World" by Licia Troisi is an awesome book, it felt like reading the World of Warcraft book except it was more awesome, give it a try.
ekonomska
Ivo Andric http://books.google.ba/books/about/The_damned_yard_and_other_stories.html?id=sTZSAQAAIAAJ&redir_esc=y
manverupl
Of course Tolkiens Lord of the Rings.
But after that every fantasy book.
pravojednostavno
My favorite book is Hamlet!
pravojednostavno
Fifty shades of Grey. And it is my favourite book not because it's genius style or plot. It isn't a masterpiece, and, in my opinion, non-realistic. Fifty Shades of Grey just touched my heart.
aayushsrivastava14
Catch 22, and Hardy Boys!
DarkWizard
My favorite book is Harry Potter-I love the characters, setting, and plot!
Caily
I have way too many favorite books. I love fantasy, and thrillers, and mystery, and classics, and romance. And I usually have at least several favorite books in each genre.

Just a few of my favorite ones:

- Emperor's Edge fantasy series by Lindsay Buroker
- Persuasion and Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
- Celestra (paranormal romance) series by Addison Moore
- Daddy-Long-Legs and Dear Enemy by Jean Webster
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Nyasro
I dont have best book but i read book only
if someone says it is interesting Very Happy
miso
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens had been a favorite of mine growing up and one of the few books that I reread from time to time. The Dune series and the Second Apocalypse series are my favorites in science fiction / fantasy.
ganni
I love reading. Reading is my favorite pastime.
I have lots of favorite books. so counting them would require some more time. So, I'll just write about my recent addition to my favorite books list. It's Princess Bride by William Goldman.

So here is my review.
I am me, the daughter of my father, I just read The princess bride and it was so funny! Very Happy (You'll get it if you read the princess bride)

Liked the story... loved the writing style of the author!
I had some serious fun time reading it. The part with Max the Miracle man was funniest Very Happy ROFL

One very lucky and truly-without-question-no-possibility-of-error beautiful girl named Buttercup found her one true love and yet she just sits and waits and does nothing much else. I hate her!!! She doesn't deserve Westley at all.

Westley the one-true-love of unequally-beautiful-for-nothing Buttercup, is the most desirable man I have ever read from any other books. Beautiful, funny, witty, fighter, true-love believer... just love him.

Westley
Courtesy of the image goes to AshleighPopplewell at deviantart.

oh about Inigo and Fezzik, loved them so much![/img]

Checkout my goodreads page here https://www.goodreads.com/ganni
spinout
I used to Like Michael Moorecook, but that was ages ago I read that. Fantasy genre.

Hm, almost the same name; Michael Moore is funny.
DivineTurtles
Has anyone read Paper Towns or Fahrenheit 451? They're amazing books!

Paper Towns, by John Green.
Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
oerhans
Game of Thrones obv Razz
iiFireShinx
My favorites have to be "Jackaby" by William Ritter and Black Dove White Raven by Elizabeth Wein.
VladimirIsayev
The Good Soldier Svejk
Ivooo
Although, of course, there are many nice adult books out there, I would like to mention my favorite book when I was a child. In Dutch it is called "Verhalen van de tweelingbroers" which in English means "Tales of the twin brothers" and it is written by Tonke Dragt. The book, as the name implies, is about two twin brothers who have been together all the time during their childhood and who have to take separate paths when they grow up. A wonderful story (or stories actually), that unfortunately was not translated to english. Maybe a good reason to start learning Dutch Very Happy
kitkat
"A tale for the time being" by Ruth Ozeki
one of my favorites