FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

"Night" by Elie Wiesel

wellerchap
I read this book yesterday after a few weeks of having rekindled my fascination with World War 2.....very powerful account of life in (and surviving) the holocaust.
Suddenly, taking out the rubbish when it's a bit cold outside doesn't seem so bad after all.

Has anyone else read it?
phuchicu
I used to listen through it. I see stories like this. However I do not understand the content. It is a book, can be a mystery, something that I search. Like you. I feel it can be alluring. I will read it immediately
wellerchap
phuchicu wrote:
I feel it can be alluring. I will read it immediately

That's very positive....so what did you think to the book?
Afaceinthematrix
wellerchap wrote:
That's very positive....so what did you think to the book?

I thought the book was pretty boring, although I didn't read it to be entertained - I read it to be informed. It was an extremely good book (that almost brought me to tears at some points) that truly made you realize how horrible the holocaust was... Now I'm depressed!
manlear
I read it in 7th grade with my A.P. English Teacher. We were doing a section about World War II. If you thought this book sucked. God help you. The book was VERY good, the man was very pationate about his story of how he survived the holocaust and what went on during it. I would read it 8903754963290475 more times if i didn't have a memory.
wellerchap
There are more books out there, I read another just after and am trying to borrow a book written by a holocaust survivor who is friends with some customers of mine at work.
He's in his 70's now (a guy called Arek Hirsch) but still organises trips to take people over to visit Auschwitz, doing his bit to keep the whole story alive in people's memories.
lagoon
I read it after I went to Auschwitz. The imagery is amazing, and the emotional storytelling somehow informs incredibly well.
slimviking
wellerchap wrote:
I read this book yesterday after a few weeks of having rekindled my fascination with World War 2.....very powerful account of life in (and surviving) the holocaust.
Suddenly, taking out the rubbish when it's a bit cold outside doesn't seem so bad after all.

Has anyone else read it?

Do you think that all you read is true ?

In Europe if you don't believe in the holocaust you can go to jail.
If what you say is true and you have the evidences you don't need a law to silence the critics
Mr_Howl
I read Night a long time ago, in middle school. I don't remember much about it, but I think it was pretty good. We also read Maus for school--also good, and in graphic novel format.

slimviking wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

Has anyone else read it?

If what you say is true and you have the evidences you don't need a law to silence the critics

General Eisenhower ordered many pictures of Holocaust victims to be taken because he knew that, in the future, people would try to deny that it happened.
Mr_Howl
I read Night a long time ago, in middle school. I don't remember much about it, but I think it was pretty good. We also read Maus for school--also good, and in graphic novel format.

slimviking wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

Has anyone else read it?

General Eisenhower ordered many pictures of Holocaust victims to be taken because he knew that, in the future, people would try to deny that it happened.
LxGoodies
slimviking wrote:
wellerchap wrote:

Has anyone else read it?

To put it mildly... don't talk about things you dont know anything about. 110.000 Dutch jews never returned from deportation by the Germans. In the Netherlands alone that is !! official registration between 1942 and 1945. On a population of 12 million !! What do you think happened mr Viking, to the jews in occupied France, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Italy, Greece, Hungary, Poland, Russia, Serbia, Czechoslovakia, on a population of multifold 12 million ?? how do holocaust deniers account for all these missing people ??

As for the intent, at Wannsee the Germans themselves projected a figure of 9-11 million they wanted to kill..

Hitler 1922 wrote:
Once I really am in power, my first and foremost task will be the annihilation of the Jews.

Hitler 1939 wrote:
We are going to destroy the Jews. They are not going to get away with what they did on 9 November 1918. The day of reckoning has come

Goebbels 1942 wrote:
The Jews have deserved the catastrophe that has now overtaken them. Their destruction will go hand in hand with the destruction of our enemies. We must hasten this process with cold ruthlessness

In 1940 to 1941, tens of thousands of jews were first killed in Poland, complete village populations were wiped out, shot in the head. In 1942 the killing commenced on industrial scale, technical means improving, it accellerated through 1942, 1943, 1944 until the death marches of 1945.. the nazis attempted to kill as many jews as possible in 1944/1945. That's the holocaust, slimviking..

As reported by the nazis themselves.. a figure of 1.247.166 death reported in Poland, only in 1942. While holocaust deniers claim a total of 300.000 over the complete WW II.

Quote:
Aerial photographs of Auschwitz indicate that what appears to be ash produced in Auschwitz was piled into the nearby river and marsh, and there is well-documented evidence that other ash was used as fertilizer in nearby fields. Photographs of Treblinka taken by the camp commandant show what looks to be ash piles being distributed by steam shovels

read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Holocaust_denial

slimviking wrote:

Yep, mr viking ! and the reason that they put that law in Europe is that even in 2013, morons like you still exist who dare to question or deny these horrible historical fact, for political reasons.

Cool Lx