FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any Writers Writing something? Share The ideas of your book

Parkour_Jarrod
I'm a writer and ive written a couple of books (none published yet)

My first two completed books were testosterone fueled sex fantasies of a 13-14 year old male mind

But in the past year (im turning 16 soon) ive had many life changing experiences that have caused me to mature greatly causing me to start my latest book (ive been writing notes for it for a few months)

it is a typical fantasy like those usually written by an outsider or misjudged/depressed person that has troubles in his/her life wanting to portray themselves as a hero through the means of projecting it with a book

Its called (at the moment may change later in development) "Nothing But An Immortal Soul"

Blurb: "A twenty year old body containing the soul of a three thousand year old soldier of god fights his way through the forces of evil raised by the vengeful Ice Queen. While also being constantly baffled by the feelings of pain and sorrow caused from finding his soul mate as he tries to forget the beautiful woman that is god's gift to him for serving god all these years."

Anyone else want to share their ideas or want to criticize other writers works to help them achieve something more?
Tuvitor
I have completed one novel and self-published it without any traditional submission. I'm working on a new revision of that first novel, and plan on going a more traditional route with it after a limited indie run. I am also working on the sequel to that novel.

My works are fantasy with a strong sci-fi thread to them. They are set in a mythical world that existed before a great and legendary cataclysm that sank Atlantis and flooded the planet.
jsarnold
I've had a few short stories published, and a few plays. I've completed a novel, but can't stop re-drafting it.

My stories tend to be fantasy/mythical in nature, but varied. I've written short stories along the 'fable' line.

The novel is a fantasy adventure in a parallel world where the mind has dominated rather than physical prowess.

Don't forget, if you're a writer, make sure you get your short story to Truespeed by 28th February for the Frihost writing competition.
The-Nisk
The title of this thread sounded something like "I'm stuck for Ideas, help me" in my mind.

Very few people have what it takes to be good writers (but you can still get published, the amount of junk on the shelves in book stores is unbelievable), because, the author either has unbelievable command of language/the art of story telling, but their story sucks really bad, or vice versa.

Nevertheless, well done to anyone who's writing, I myself have been planing a book in my mind for the last few years, I might write it eventually, but again I doubt I have what it takes to be any good an author.
jsarnold
If you doubt yourself before you have even begun - you may not have what it takes. You have to have self belief to succeed at anything.

If you never start, you'll never know, and if you never try, you'll never learn, and therefore will never improve.

Many of the most successful authors and writers today spent years trying before they cracked it.

I have more respect for those who try, than those who don't, but preach it nonetheless.

Sadly, most schools and curricula I have come across are very much set against teaching or encouraging the art of writing. That's one of the reasons I left teaching myself. For this reason, I think any young person wanting to learn the craft is forced to be self reliant, and find their own path, mentors and learn from their own mistakes.

I'm all for encouraging threads which might help spark a little creativity and a love of trying.
The-Nisk
jsarnold wrote:
If you doubt yourself before you have even begun - you may not have what it takes. You have to have self belief to succeed at anything.

If you never start, you'll never know, and if you never try, you'll never learn, and therefore will never improve.

Many of the most successful authors and writers today spent years trying before they cracked it.

I have more respect for those who try, than those who don't, but preach it nonetheless.

Sadly, most schools and curricula I have come across are very much set against teaching or encouraging the art of writing. That's one of the reasons I left teaching myself. For this reason, I think any young person wanting to learn the craft is forced to be self reliant, and find their own path, mentors and learn from their own mistakes.

I'm all for encouraging threads which might help spark a little creativity and a love of trying.

I shall assume that the above was directed at me. Don't get me wrong, I have no lack of confidence, but I also have healthy self-criticism, which tells me it's wiser to wait until I learn a bit more english before I unleash my 'criticaly acclaimed' masterpiece.

There's the art of writing, but then there's coming up with story that's actualy good (not just common rubish).
jsarnold
No, it wasn't directed at you specifically at all, just in response to general points you raised.

I agree that writing is as much about having a good story to tell as being capable of writing to a good standard of English, but it is also important to appreciate that both take time and practice for a writer to become proficient.
Parkour_Jarrod
The-Nisk wrote:
The title of this thread sounded something like "I'm stuck for Ideas, help me" in my mind.

Very few people have what it takes to be good writers (but you can still get published, the amount of junk on the shelves in book stores is unbelievable), because, the author either has unbelievable command of language/the art of story telling, but their story sucks really bad, or vice versa.

Nevertheless, well done to anyone who's writing, I myself have been planing a book in my mind for the last few years, I might write it eventually, but again I doubt I have what it takes to be any good an author.

I'm not stuck for idea's i have many many idea's and i don't need anymore, i was just curious as to if there are any other writers and whats there writing style so i can compare it to my own. i was also looking to see if anyone like the IDEA that i posted but seeing as you didn't really read it i gues you wouldn't have noticed the

Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
start my latest book (ive been writing notes for it for a few months)

it is a typical fantasy like those usually written by an outsider or misjudged/depressed person that has troubles in his/her life wanting to portray themselves as a hero through the means of projecting it with a book

Its called (at the moment may change later in development) "Nothing But An Immortal Soul"

Blurb: "A twenty year old body containing the soul of a three thousand year old soldier of god fights his way through the forces of evil raised by the vengeful Ice Queen. While also being constantly baffled by the feelings of pain and sorrow caused from finding his soul mate as he tries to forget the beautiful woman that is god's gift to him for serving god all these years."
The-Nisk
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
The-Nisk wrote:

I'm not stuck for idea's i have many many idea's and i don't need anymore, i was just curious as to if there are any other writers and whats there writing style so i can compare it to my own. i was also looking to see if anyone like the IDEA that i posted but seeing as you didn't really read it i gues you wouldn't have noticed the

I have read what you wrote.
Technicaly speaking, you didn't ask for anyone's oppinion on your "story". It was implied, but as part of the audience I can chose to be ignorant.

But, since you asked directly,
here's a review of your summary:
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

A twenty year old body containing the soul of a three thousand year old soldier

So far so good, after your explanation for the motive(shows your understanding), I even got a little interested.
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

of god fights his way through the forces of evil raised by the vengeful Ice Queen.

And then you take a bullet to the head. Unless you're writing story for little children, avoid, in any way, using the phrases such as "forces of evil" (sounds like something from a disney cartoon) and "Ice Queen" - possible the worst, most stupid phrase/concept ever, non-original, boring and well just pathetic! as for "soldier of god", it would take unbelievable skill to pull off writing about something like that...along the lines of Pullman.

Parkour_Jarrod wrote:

While also being constantly baffled by the feelings of pain and sorrow caused from finding his soul mate as he tries to forget the beautiful woman that is god's gift to him for serving god all these years."

this again doesn't sound half bad, in fact if it wasn't for the middle bit, I could possibly have even requested a copy of the book when it's done.

You have some good ideas, but you seem to lack the language skills and expression to make this into a good story. My advice would be to slowly write out the plot and in the mean while read as much as you can (quality books).

To point you in the right direction read:
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman,
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk,
and watch Neon Genisis Evangelion (its a story split over 26 anime episodes + full-length films(re-makes coming soon)).

good luck with the book.
killianvillian
This is a great thread. I dont want it to die so quickly.

Im not a writer, because I dont do it regularly or for money, and I dont clearly flow any stream of consciousness well enough to convince myself to do it more often.

I would like to change that, if for nothing else, to improve my skills of the language.

"Writers" make up a broad category of communications enthusiasts or professionals who use language as their most effective tool. There are different types, who use the language for a variety of different reasons. A person who writes science fiction, would probably think a science fiction book written by a philosophy writer as a piece of crap, IF it was a piece of crap.

If dude writes a book, dude is a writer. If dude writes a bad book, dude is a bad writer. If dude writes how bad writers are not writers, dude is a cynic, but also maybe a writer. If dude writes a lot.

" I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there, the Dude, takin' her easy for all us sinners."
hangnhu
here a few ideas I been pondering for ages and but have to time to development

1. dragon/human in lost world mixed the mummy or indiana jone
2. deadly mirror supernatual portal
3. twin living inside the other, leads to deadly consequence
4. snake/human in the future being hunted - it from a dream
5. lots of romance Very Happy

[/b]
Veteran
I'M WRITING A NOVEL. ;0)
TurtleShell
I finished a children's book for my daughter just recently,b ut I'm redrafting it. Very close to done. I'd like to write her a series... I'm thinking I'll try to publish b/c, why the hell not? if writing was a way to earn some extra money, or even if it turned out to be a way to make a living, i'd be better off.