FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MD5 Hash

pashmina
Hi i want to create a form which can generate md5 hash from the word submitted from the text field, and want it to be saved in mysql database.
I also want to be able to save each and every query if possible. it should be able to check it that value already exists.
later i want to create a search engine to search the word from the md5 hash
joostvane
Do you want to make a script yourself for fun or just for the MD5?

For the second option;
MD5 doesn't only hash words, but also sentences, pieces of text or even entire programs. It is impossible to create a database for it I guess.

There is a website out there that does it anyways: http://md5encryption.com/ (top right, click 'decrypt').

If you wanna crack MD5 hashes, there are some brute forces out there aswell.

If you wanna create a script yourself, I can help you create one if you want, but it will require a terrible amount of mySQL database space to just get a tiny tiny tiny bit of the possible combinations. Impossible even.
rohan2kool
your last statement says that you want to search for words from their MD5 hashes and want to design a search engine for that. The thing is, that Message Digest [or MD5] is a many-to-one function i.e. there are many words which will have the same MD5 output. Hence, MD5 is not an encryption algorithm, it's a hashing algorithm. Small words, upto let's say 12-15 characters MAY have unique keys for unique inputs, but for anything greater it cannot be guaranteed. Even if it is so, MD5 is not a reversible or invertible function. You cannot just run an inverse on MD5 and get the word you originally hashed. To do this, you need to use Brute-force, but using it in the form of a search engine would be very very expensive [computationally expensive i.e.].

The best thing you can do is just store the words [keywords or tags] as it is and search for it. As to how to store and retrieve stuff from an SQL database, i'd suggest you refer some material at w3schools.com.
coreymanshack
I'm pretty sure the guy just want's a reverse md5 lookup script of his own.
pashmina
Firstly, thank you all for the reply and telling me more about md5 hash. I did not know much about this. Well since there is already http://md5encryption.com/ my post is now of no use.

but i need some help on some new issue on http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-103876.html#864301
please help