FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

upgrading an OLD computer

anaela
i have an old computer, NEC Direction 233L, that I'm trying to upgrade to my standards. So far the only thing I've installed was a network card. went swell. now i need more RAM on my computer.

http://www.archmemory.com/memory.cfm/NEC-Memory-Direction-Direction-233L-266L-300L-24971
these are the RAM that I can install to the computer. im lookin at the 128MB

now the limit on the PC is around 384MB of RAM. BUT if i replace the current RAM on my computer - do i have to backup my computer before replacing them? and also if i buy a external hard drive, will that extended the RAM on the computer?
coreymanshack
anaela wrote:
i have an old computer, NEC Direction 233L, that I'm trying to upgrade to my standards. So far the only thing I've installed was a network card. went swell. now i need more RAM on my computer.

http://www.archmemory.com/memory.cfm/NEC-Memory-Direction-Direction-233L-266L-300L-24971
these are the RAM that I can install to the computer. im lookin at the 128MB

now the limit on the PC is around 384MB of RAM. BUT if i replace the current RAM on my computer - do i have to backup my computer before replacing them? and also if i buy a external hard drive, will that extended the RAM on the computer?

RAM is accessed only when the computer needs it, and it is cleared when you shut down your computer. You do not have to back up your computer before replacing RAM. An external hard disk will not extend the ram of your computer. Everything you see on your computer is stored on the hard disk and loaded into ram when executed.
anaela
my computer needs it. it always show virtual memory too low , so i think its time for some more RAM.

thank you for answering my question.

OH WAIT, so that basically means an external hard disk just makes space for whatever meshmosh i want to save, right?
anaela
plus the programs that i use or want to use requires at least 128MB RAM installed on the computer and requires the computer to be well operated (no slowpokes), so will replacing all 3 still be a wise choice?
coreymanshack
anaela wrote:
plus the programs that i use or want to use requires at least 128MB RAM installed on the computer and requires the computer to be well operated (no slowpokes), so will replacing all 3 still be a wise choice?

yes, external hard disk makes space for meshmosh you want to save.
i think that you will find getting a new computer would be well worth it.
i would not waste money on new ram for it.
shkhanal
Yes coreymanshack is right. Better consider buying new comupter rather than trying to upgrade your old computer. You might need to spend a lot of money of small increments and that never can make your computer as needed.

Parkour_Jarrod
I agree you can buy a reasonable computer with about a gig of ram at least for about $600 nowadays and that price drops by an average of $10 a month so yeah, get a new computer every computer gets outdated as soon as you take it out of the box, no point trying to keep it up to speed when its over 3 years old
anaela
well i learned that without spending any money. i went to a computer repair store and they did a diagonsed (however you spell it). it costed alot to upgrade it to the rate of newer computers. so for now, i have a laptop, average gag space, but works SSOO much better than my 25yr old desktop, lol.