FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you buy from eBay? How long do you wait?

How long?
Few days
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
A week
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
Two weeks
30%
 30%  [ 9 ]
More than two weeks
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Helios
A week and a half ago I made my first purchase from eBay. Ordered few sets of cables and some stuff related to electronics from a shop with a lot of nice reviews in Hong Kong (I live in Israel). I also payed using PayPal.

Since then I have been waiting for it to arrive. So I'm asking, how long do you usually wait?
ocalhoun
I'd wait at least two weeks after the auction ends, especially for overseas shipping.
If you're getting worried about it, contact the seller and ask about it.

If the seller doesn't give any good response, use paypal's resolution center, and you can get reimbursed for it. (I just did that on a CRT monitor that I ordered, but never came.)
Don't wait more than 30 days before starting the paypal claim process, but try to contact the seller directly first.
standready
Any item purchased outside your country could take a month considering shipping and customs. As ocalhoun said - contact the seller.
I just recently bought an item, that should have taken less than a week to get. Contacted seller after a week and half, only to find out bozo "forgot" (sure) to ship. Finally got it today. Now debating giving Negative feedback, but seller was apollogetic and I do finally have item.
la_Duchess
It all depends on when the item was actually shipped too. Sometimes sellers have a specific shipping day. Did you get any kind of tracking number? If not I would contact seller to see if they have one for your item...
RiCtee
I seem to be having the same problem. I won an auction (my first) last Wednesday and paid through PayPal right after I won. But I had to transfer the money from my bank account to PayPal, and it has an expected clearing date of 5-7 days. I didn't know it would take that long. Actually I should have added my credit card to make it instant payment. I sent the seller a message saying I already completed the payment but had to wait.

So of course I haven't received the item. Now I saw the seller put up the same auction again. I don't know whether he could have another unit or he didn't want to wait for me. I'm not sure whether I should contact him about that. Oh and he has a 7 day payment policy so hopefully the payment will be done before that.
shkumbin
I bouthg a DELL laptop a year ago from eBay and i didn't have any problems, the product came as advertised and i didnt wait more than a week, which was good because I was about to go home here in Kosova (i was in USA< MA, just for the summer) so it was all good....
Blazole
99.9% of the time its just a few days, 24 hours when buying from my own country. when buying from hong kong or america it takes around 7 days for delivery.
coolclay
Well first off things coming from Hong Kong in general take forever. Usually it takes up to 3 weeks for things to get from Hong Kong to the states. Usually within the states here things take about a week or so to get cross country. It's largely dependent on how things are sent, what countries they are sent too, and lots of other variables.
MeddlingMonk
It really depends on where you live and where the items are coming from. It also depends on how you've paid for a purchase (if you use an echeque with PayPal this tends to delay things by up to a week). International purchases can take anywhere between one and six weeks to arrive, depending on where they are coming from and what type of postage (for example, priority shipping, standard air mail or standard sea mail). In your case, Helios, I would advise contacting the seller if you are concerned, especially if a month passes and your items still haven't arrived.
Dean_The_Great
I've bought from eBay on many occasions, and I've had both good and bad experiences. Two weeks is totally a normal amount of time to be waiting, and the seller should usually give you some indication of how long it will take. If it starts to take too long, or the seller is not communicating, you should report them, because you can only report them within 30 days of auction end, I believe.
jsarnold
I've bought hundreds of items on Ebay. It varies from 12 hours (!) to never.

Obviously for overseas purchases you need to allow more time, but the clue is simply to contact the seller, and communicate with them.

In all the hundreds of times I have ever bought through Ebay, I have only ever had one item not turn up, and one that had to be canceled because the seller lied about the product. Not bad on average.
the-guide
Once I purchased from eBay, i have to wait it for nearly a month.
mwsupra
Personally I don't buy much on eBay, but my wife buys and sells crap all the time. I don't really like her selling stuff b/c you'd be amazed how many people try to rip you off. They'll try to do a false dispute, or return a completely different broken item instead of the one you sent, or stuff like that.
Ghost900
I would give over two weeks for over-sees shipping as it can take a while.

I have bought things from Hong-Kong and they came to me (USA) in about 2 weeks but then Israel is going to be different.

Normally Power Sellers (Large Quantity Sellers) email you an (Item Sent) form letting you know they sent it.

You can contact them if you are worried.
mtorregiani
Around two weeks if shipped from America, and more if it's shipped from other location (like Australia, where I've bought some DVDs)
Zombie
I buy alot from china and other places that are far away. So i usually have to wait a few weeks for it to show up.
Jamatu
As people say it all depends on who you buying it from and where it's comming from. I'd message the seller to confirm that he has sent the item you bought (and when he sent it). If your not happy after say 3 weeks message the seller and inform them the item hasn't been delivered and take it from there.
tony
Helios wrote:
A week and a half ago I made my first purchase from eBay. Ordered few sets of cables and some stuff related to electronics from a shop with a lot of nice reviews in Hong Kong (I live in Israel). I also payed using PayPal.

Since then I have been waiting for it to arrive. So I'm asking, how long do you usually wait?

I think because it is a good distance from israel to hong kong, you should need to wait awhile. I think a couple weeks is reasonable.
Crazy_Canuck
I don't think I could ever buy from Ebay. I am too paranoid about getting scammed by someone. I am sure I have lost out on good deals because of being overly cautious, but I still won't do it.
ocalhoun
Crazy_Canuck wrote:
I don't think I could ever buy from Ebay. I am too paranoid about getting scammed by someone. I am sure I have lost out on good deals because of being overly cautious, but I still won't do it.

You don't have to worry about it at all!
If you get scammed, paypal will refund you the money (It has for me before). If paypal won't, then you can dispute the charge on the credit card if you pay paypal with a card.
Crazy_Canuck
ocalhoun wrote:
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

You don't have to worry about it at all!
If you get scammed, paypal will refund you the money (It has for me before). If paypal won't, then you can dispute the charge on the credit card if you pay paypal with a card.

Well good point, but that is such a lot of effort! I'm basically lazy and also careless with my money often...which is why I have to take extra precautions not to be ripped off.

I know ... it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it works for me! I've heard Ebaying is addictive ... do you think so?
Triple_7
I give it around 2 weeks depending on how it was shipped and where its coming from. US Postal can be a little funny sometimes. But I don't buy off of eBay very often. Last time I sold something I was not to happy when the buyer contacted me 3 weeks after I shipped it and asked why the tracking showed it stuck in California. Took nearly 5 weeks before it got to Hawaii and he received it. It was the only time I've ever had something take that long and I ship things through the USPS quite frequently.

I just couldn't believe that it took nearly 5 weeks to get a small package from Indiana to Hawaii...but that same day I sent out a similar sized package to a friend in Taiwan and it was to her doorstep in 4 days. Confused Both cases it was the standard rate shipping...no rush. Its all a matter of where its going and how it hits the system Confused
andersonic
I don't have good experience with things from Hong Kong. It's either fake or doesn't turn up at all. Razz
Fatality
I usually wait about 2 weeks. I would contact them though and see if the item has been shipped. A week and a half is a long time if they did not leave feedback or at least let you know the item has been shipped. I would see if you can get an answer from then on the shippment of the item. By the time two weeks has passed I usually try to contact them and if they do not respond in a day ot two, file a claim. Shouldn't be a problem getting your money back.
nigam
i waited for a week when i bought it here in our country but when i bought it from the states it took more than a month to get the item.
ankitdatashn
Uptill now I have never given a chance to ebay although I have purchased many a times from online shppes. Mostly I have bought from Indian Online Portals Like Indiatimes, etc. The level of service varies a lot.
jabce85
I usually don't buy international, but when I did a usual time to wait was 1-2 weeks with the cheaper of the shipping methods.

BTW, if any of you EBayers are looking for a quick gift item, check out my store in the link below.. I sell handcrafted antique silverware jewelry. I'm always adding new stuff, so just check out my store..
Josso
It entirely depends, from a fairly small sellers in the UK I get things within a few days but international delivery often takes 1-2 weeks.
agulto
i don't buy from e-bay or anywhere online im kinda skeptic about the whole internet security thing so it's quite hard for me to trust any website to be getting my personal information especially my banking info. Twisted Evil
Arty
I'd rather use amazon rather from ebay, since with amazon you almost won't get scammed. Smile
goutha
If it's from Hong Kong it can take up to one month. In general, there's not scam. Not with eBay.

In general, what we buy from Hong Kong is so inexpensive, that it's worth the delivery delay.

So be patient. I'll say that you wait for two weeks.
carlospro7
I haven't purchased from eBay in a very long time. I'm usually afraid now to purchase from their website. I have not gotten very good customer service there.
like everyone says, about 2 weeks is common in the UK when buying from abroad, but i don't know what it's like in other contries. As for items not arriving, i'm still waiting for something i bought almost a month ago now, from the same country, no reply to my messages... Sad not really expecting to receive it any more.
Also as for worries of credit card fraud and stuff, i think you're pretty safe with paypal, also it's owned be ebay i believe.
chatrack
I have yet not purchased from ebay. I am eager to review ebay performance, thats why i am here.

I know some persons purchased form ebay. It reaches in main citys and we need to give address of that city since mine is village.
Zombie
hmm... I just bought a juicer from ebay, waited a week for it to show up. However, I usually have the items shipped priority, because I have no patience
nigam
yes, i always buy something on ebay for restoring my 1967 camaro chevrolet and 1969 ford mustang mach 1 emblems which i can't find it here in my place and i waited for 1 week the most....
soljarag
it depends on where its coming from....

awhile back i ordered something from over seas and i think it took around 3-4 weeks
TomS
Usually it takes 2-4 weeks from overseas.
ProfessorY91
Within the continental US, it will take about a week... shipping from within any of the contiguous 48 states to another contiguous state.

Overseas, I have no experience with as I tend not to trust international shipping.

Also, check any and all tracking numbers that you are provided with. UPS is usually very prompt and will give you an exact date, and a range of times (on their website). You only need a tracking number.

I do most of my shopping on Amazon, anyways, ever try that?

Y.
skygaia
It depend on where I order. when I was in canada, usually it took few days. but after I came back to my country , south korea, only God knows Sad
sometimes it took just one week, but some times few weeks.
joybidder
Disputes come out about 1 out 100 transactions and most of the disputes are easily and quickly settled with prompt seller refund. And if you always pay attention to seller feedback/rating and ship location, and read the item description, you will very unlikely get yourself into a bad deal.

Amazon hosts products from 3rd party merchants. You can get trouble with those merchants as well. Always buy from Amazon's own inventory if you have a choice, even it is slightly pricey. However, Amazon has designed the UI such that it is sometimes not easy to find out which is which in order to boost the sales of 3rd party merchants, because 3rd party merchants have better profit margin.
dougy
andersonic wrote:
I don't have good experience with things from Hong Kong. It's either fake or doesn't turn up at all. Razz

it appears that the typical Ebay seller in Hongkong or China doesn't give a rats about customer service, certainly my experience has been decidedly unsatisfactory & despite the significant cost savings I doubt that I'll subject myself to the aggro of dealing with the clowns again. Issues include poor to nil communication, questionable advertizing tactics, bullying re feedback (eg give us 5 stars or no warranty), ridiculous delays in shipping (how long does it take a plane to travel from honkers to Sydney / London / New York etc), and refusal to provide shipping / consignment details. Undoubtedly the number of reported transactions & feedback give a clue as to the sellers status, but when so many of them manage to distort feedback by way of the aforementioned bullying strategy, one can't necessarily rely on feedback as a true gauge of seller integrity.
dougy
Crazy_Canuck wrote:

Providing you follow the Ebay rules, PayPal refunds the cost of purchased items that don't get delivered or are substantially different from what was advertized. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have ever purchased anything from Hongkong / Chinese sellers. FWIW, biggest problem I've had is poor to non-existent communication. The clowns don't appear to have any concept of customer service in that they rarely if ever respond to emails. An item may or may not turn up & one must be aware of the time constraints imposed by Ebay / PayPal re complaints against a seller in order to make a successful claim for reimbursement of purchase price. Note that I've only purchased items with postage included so I couldn't comment on the situation with artificially padded shipping costs that appear to be fairly common with Hongkong / Chinese sellers.
dougy
I noticed a comment somewhere here re issues with shipping stuff from Australia. As a native of OZ, I figure a couple of comments are warranted. Firstly, Australia Post is easily one of the most inept & dysfunctional organizations on Planet Earth. Its absolutely essential that anything they touch is guaranteed trackable & properly insured, otherwise my experience has been that the 'loss' rate approaches 50%. Secondly, any device with a lithium battery (ie mobile phones / laptops) isn't supposed to travel by air (unless personally accompanied by a human). This means that unless the seller takes a HUGE risk (like ten years in the big house), items sent from OZ will necessarily go via surface transport, hence ridiculous shipping times. To be completely fair to the AusPost monkeys, the phobia of lithium batteries stems from federal gubmunt regulations, however nobody here with even one functional grey cell ignores the ruling due to a desire not to be consigned to her majestys accommodation for a prolonged period. I understand that no other country, not even the US with its concerns with persons wearing weird headwear, imposes such unworkable restrictions on unaccompanied lithium batteries
deanhills
dougy wrote:
Firstly, Australia Post is easily one of the most inept & dysfunctional organizations on Planet Earth.
You haven't seen Canada's yet. Twisted Evil Far easier to cross the border to go and buy something inside the United States than to even dream of importing anything. Even then one has to be careful how one presents one's purchases to customs on the way back, the wording has to be just right. It's one thing if one could budget the cost and figure out all the customs duties, etc. etc. but the customs regulations are enough to throw any one for a loop and it also makes vendors in the US irritated and reluctant to deal internationally, particularly with software and electronic goods. Amazon for example does not sell electronics or software products to people in the UAE.
dougy
deanhills wrote:
You haven't seen Canada's yet. Twisted Evil
I guess Canada inherited much of the pommy bureaucratic nonsense & probably because of the comparable gubmunt structure to Australia, added a similar tribe of nonsensical regulations which serve only to enhance the ivory tower empires belong the fatcats. We have a particular (and widely used) concept called 'the Peter Principle' which requires that the incompetent are promoted beyond their level of incompetence. This is particularly evident in gubmunt & quasi autonomous gubmunt entities which are invariably run by clowns totally incapable of earning an honest income by using their virtually non-existent skills.

One particular fleabrain I encountered recently held the position of CEO of one of the biggest local authorities in the southern hemisphere. The galah in question was paid some $A500,000 pa despite lacking the ability to string five words into a sentence. Another turkey (reportedly ex legal eagle although no records exist of achievements in that field) was paid a similar amount to head a major utility qango (quasi autonomous non-gubmunt organization). Needless to say the demonstrated level of ability was vastly inferior to that expected of a severely retarded pre-schooler. With mental giants like this in senior positions, is it any wonder that essential services are so stuffed.
deanhills
dougy wrote:
I guess Canada inherited much of the pommy bureaucratic nonsense & probably because of the comparable gubmunt structure to Australia, added a similar tribe of nonsensical regulations which serve only to enhance the ivory tower empires belong the fatcats. We have a particular (and widely used) concept called 'the Peter Principle' which requires that the incompetent are promoted beyond their level of incompetence. This is particularly evident in gubmunt & quasi autonomous gubmunt entities which are invariably run by clowns totally incapable of earning an honest income by using their virtually non-existent skills.
Well said. Very educational too. And spot on.

dougy wrote:
One particular fleabrain I encountered recently held the position of CEO of one of the biggest local authorities in the southern hemisphere. The galah in question was paid some $A500,000 pa despite lacking the ability to string five words into a sentence. Another turkey (reportedly ex legal eagle although no records exist of achievements in that field) was paid a similar amount to head a major utility qango (quasi autonomous non-gubmunt organization). Needless to say the demonstrated level of ability was vastly inferior to that expected of a severely retarded pre-schooler. With mental giants like this in senior positions, is it any wonder that essential services are so stuffed.
I'm almost certain occurrences like this one aren't limited to the southern Hemisphere either. There must be plenty of these appointments created to serve the principle of I pat your back, you pat mine in all parts of the world. Twisted Evil
breane
its about a month when i receive my purchase in ebay,, it takes long time of waiting specially when you purchase a things somewhere around the globe,,
k_s_baskar
Usually it will take 7 to 15 days items purchased in my country. For ebay global hardly around 2 weeks.
(ofcourse digital items will reach me within a day Smile )
dougy
Quote:
I'm almost certain occurrences like this one aren't limited to the southern Hemisphere either. There must be plenty of these appointments created to serve the principle of I pat your back, you pat mine in all parts of the world. Twisted Evil

Come the revolution, things will change !!!!
dougy
k_s_baskar wrote:
Usually it will take 7 to 15 days items purchased in my country. For ebay global hardly around 2 weeks.
(ofcourse digital items will reach me within a day Smile )

I wonder what kind of aircraft they use .... all the ones I know about only stay aloft for a day or so
fuzzkaizer
i regularly buy from ebay since a few years now, and i'm sometimes surprised how quick things arrive - while others take quite a lot of time. if the seller doesn't give any delivery information, it's always a guess. not sure, what exactly it depends on, but maybe there are lots of different delivery services with their own conditions each...
if you can wait, it's all right, if not, ebay is certainly a risk...
dougy
fuzzkaizer wrote:
i regularly buy from ebay since a few years now, and i'm sometimes surprised how quick things arrive - while others take quite a lot of time. if the seller doesn't give any delivery information, it's always a guess. not sure, what exactly it depends on, but maybe there are lots of different delivery services with their own conditions each...
if you can wait, it's all right, if not, ebay is certainly a risk...

My gripe is with the total lack of willingness to communicate displayed by some sellers. particularly those in Hong Kong & China. To make matters worse, the worst (as in least responsive) ones are attempting to effectively blackmail purchasers into giving positive feedback buy stating the warranty will be void unless perfect feedback is recorded. Recent purchases made from christinalam09 are a perfect example. Whilst at least 11 buyers have been conned in the past month, nobody was prepared to post adverse feedback until one spat the dummy, after which the negative feedback came in droves. Ebay is supposed to have rules re deceptive advertizing, unfortunately they don't often take decisive action on offenders. The only ray of sunshine is that after a period of time has elapsed, PayPal generally refunds the cost of purchases that don't turn up, providing one observes a number of 'rules' that don't appear to be published.