FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

USB drives as RAM?

Parkour_Jarrod
Ive seen people do this and there was an ad for a USB drive that had this program preloaded onto it in an officeworks catalog whats the program to do this? or am i mistaken and its just this one certain USB stick?
leontius
That's the new feature of Windows Vista called ReadyBoost. Basically if your flash disk is fast enough, the computer can use your flash disk as a kind of "swap device" because flash disks are faster than hard disks for random access (I think). But then, it will probably serve you much better to buy a new RAM instead of a new flash disk...
Parkour_Jarrod
leontius wrote:
That's the new feature of Windows Vista called ReadyBoost. Basically if your flash disk is fast enough, the computer can use your flash disk as a kind of "swap device" because flash disks are faster than hard disks for random access (I think). But then, it will probably serve you much better to buy a new RAM instead of a new flash disk...

is it possible on windows XP or just vista? if its possible on XP where can i get it?
leontius
A google search leads me to http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=150615 . Please read a few posts on the thread, it might give you insight about why you should not bother doing it in XP...
Possum
Don't flash Drives have a limited number of read writes. And using them as RAM may limit their lives..
misterXY
Possum wrote:
Don't flash Drives have a limited number of read writes. And using them as RAM may limit their lives..

Bump. It's great for those times when you need some extra speed and one of your RAM sticks dies out until next payday, but daily l'd highly object too using, such a bad idea. But Portable Apps is what you maybe thinking of, or stupid U3.
Possum
Yes You are right. I stand corrected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software
misterXY
Possum wrote:
Yes You are right. I stand corrected

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_portable_software

www.portableapps.com is a good place too goto if you just want maybe a game, or word doc, vlc player, so on... it's rather easy too make anything portable with them l've found. l had a java development kit and portable command, works hand in hand, great for students Smile
Flakky
If you do not need this you should't use it. Flashdrives are slower than actual RAM so only use if you are bordering the limit of your RAM. This is better than the normal Hard Drive it uses when the RAM is full.
misterXY
Flakky wrote:
If you do not need this you should't use it. Flashdrives are slower than actual RAM so only use if you are bordering the limit of your RAM. This is better than the normal Hard Drive it uses when the RAM is full.

plus this life of thumbdrives.
Flakky
misterXY wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Thumbdrives are the same as flashdrives right?
misterXY
Flakky wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Flakky wrote:

Thumbdrives are the same as flashdrives right?

l think thumbdrives are a general idea of storage and flashdrives are flash while theres like solid state and so on.. not sure right now, too tired.
jdelfire
who dont we call it flumb drive??? just kidding........ not much of a use man tried 4gb of flumb drive and its humanly possible to see the effect. the result is very miniscule....
abcxyz1
Quote:
is it possible on windows XP or just vista? if its possible on XP where can i get it?

i used to do that in winxp and the USB was die

Razz
gilwe
Quote:

i used to do that in winxp and the USB was die

Razz

AFAIK, they do not usually last too long anyway Wink
{name here}
Parkour_Jarrod wrote:
Ive seen people do this and there was an ad for a USB drive that had this program preloaded onto it in an officeworks catalog whats the program to do this? or am i mistaken and its just this one certain USB stick?

You can used USB drives as RAM, just like you can use your HDD as RAM (Virtual Memory). I wouldn't reccomend it, though, unless you reallly really have to. Hard Disks can read and write much faster than USB and if you have one of those fancy SDDs instead of a HDD, it can write even faster than your standard Hard Disk, RAM being necessarily the speediest of them all. If you can't avoid it using the already faster parts in your computer, then go for using the USB drive.
aningbo
try to get a new RAM. its so cheap nowadays.... you can get a new RAM 1Gb for as low as Rs 390.00 (INR) in india

that would be about $8 USD ? not sure though...
Smiddie
If ou want ot use your USb as RAm you need a very big one. Minimun of 16GB. I've heard that of someone
froginabox
You can't use a USB stick as RAM. Swap file space in Linux maybe, but not RAM. It just doesn't work that way.
misterXY
Smiddie wrote:
If ou want ot use your USb as RAm you need a very big one. Minimun of 16GB. I've heard that of someone

l used my 2,4 and 8 GB thumbdrives (used to use about 20 different computers a day, don't ask) and it's all worked. I don't like it though.
snedan
waste in my opinion, if you have to buy USB drive to boost upn performance of your machine then definately go and upgrade your RAM. And Vista ReadyBoost feature is just another marketing move. It improves you performance by such a small fraction that you cant even tell.
shenyl
I seen it somewhere, but now I read it several times through.

So, ReadyBoost is simply USB as page swap file.

And I can testify that USB thumb drive is actually slower than HDD, so where is the boost?

The HDD swap file would work faster than a USB drive, as the fastest is 480 Mbps for USB 2.0.

So it does seem a MS gimmick.
Jean-Clod
HDD are faster than Flash for large file sequencial Read/writing; whereas Flash Drives, as they don't have to rotate to move to the next file you need, are much faster for Random writing, spread across the Drive. That's why Flash Drives are much faster for Page/Swapfile than HDD, and that's why Vista uses it as a cache between the actual pagefile located on the HDD, and the RAM.

If you have a SSD Drive, ReadyBoost is a very good alternative to Pagefile on the SSD Drive, because of the then decreased lifetime of this SSD

I personally use an external HDD for Pagefile, and a USB Flashdrive for Readyboost. I can't let Windows destroy my SSD by Pagefileing on it Evil or Very Mad
I think you need a Pagefile for using Readyboost, because when I disabled mine, I just wasnt able to set up a ReadyBoost Drive.
Correct me if I'm wrong!